Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 323 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 568Likes

post #9661 of 9687 Old 10-16-2017, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
The first thing I thought when I saw who was considering the .10/bag tax (Cuyahoga County Council) was this: those who live close enough to the county line (i.e. Euclid) would just do all their shopping in Lake County (is Shoregate still around?). They would only be screwing the Cuyahoga County businesses. And the money being earmarked for lake cleanup? Ha, you know that money would end up elsewhere.
I'd be willing to bet the majority of the money earmarked for "lake cleanup" will go to administrative costs.

A lot of people re-use those blue bags for trash can liners, picking up dog poop and various other things. They will still need to use some kind of plastic bags for that. Will they still use the blue bag if they cost ten cents each? Will they start using other bags that cost less? Will they make a run to a store in a neighboring county to stock up on free bags? Will this lead to county council imposing a tax on ALL plastic bags? Seems like this could be a disaster. Cuyahoga County is already the highest taxed county in the state. Let's keep piling on more taxes.
Michael P 2341 and nsa1062 like this.

Last edited by skiwest; 10-16-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9662 of 9687 Old 10-16-2017, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cleveland, OH - HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwest View Post
I'd be willing to bet the majority of the money earmarked for "lake cleanup" will go to administrative costs.

A lot of people re-use those blue bags for trash can liners, picking up dog poop and various other things. They will still need to use some kind of plastic bags for that. Will they still use the blue bag if they cost ten cents each? Will they start using other bags that cost less? Will they make a run to a store in a neighboring county to stock up on free bags? Will this lead to county council imposing a tax on ALL plastic bags?

Really worth the gas to drive out of your way to potentially save a buck or two in bags? Not me, but then again were all different.

I do reuse bags but the majority of people don't...and plastic is causing environmental problems (see great Pacific garbage patch). Not that Cuyahoga county charging for bags will fix this but changing our mental approach to single use plastic stuff will, with time. A minute step in the right direction, IMO, and paper bags work well enough. I like the Aldi approach, they have been charging for bags for years.

Back to HDTV stuff now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dleising; 10-16-2017 at 09:18 AM.
post #9663 of 9687 Old 10-16-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleising View Post
Really worth the gas to drive out of your way to potentially save a buck or two in bags? Not me, but then again were all different.

I do reuse bags but the majority of people don't...and plastic is causing environmental problems (see great Pacific garbage patch). Not that Cuyahoga county charging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would be no big deal for those on the edge of the county. They are probably already doing that for cigarettes and alcohol.
Michael P 2341 and OTA Newbie like this.

post #9664 of 9687 Old 10-16-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
The first thing I thought when I saw who was considering the .10/bag tax (Cuyahoga County Council) was this: those who live close enough to the county line (i.e. Euclid) would just do all their shopping in Lake County (is Shoregate still around?). They would only be screwing the Cuyahoga County businesses. And the money being earmarked for lake cleanup? Ha, you know that money would end up elsewhere.
Shoregate is about half of what it was, the western end of it was leveled for "upscale" housing & condos.... if you remember where Jotes was (now Marcs), that is the new western end.

Quote:
It would be no big deal for those on the edge of the county. They are probably already doing that for cigarettes and alcohol.
I swore up & down never to buy Alcohol in Cuyahoga county after the sin tax imposed, yet I found I could actually pay less there, this has to be on the distributor level & is being absorbed by surrounding counties anyway. I avoid making major purchases in Cuyahoga County anyway myself, though our tax here is catching up, though I think Geauga is a .5% less now.

Quote:
Cuyahoga County is already the highest taxed county in the state. Let's keep piling on more taxes.
Not to mention our Darling E-Check Program.

Oh yes, & your Plates in Cuyahoga Country are also going to rise to fix bridges.

Quote:
Why I refrain from giving to any charity, so much corruption & graft in charities, the ones that need it never receive it, as it lines administrators pockets.

I recycle 99.5 of my plastic bags anyway, even though someone profits from my "donation", it's just common sense.

Is Retro's Sunday night Programming of Offbeat Cinema prempting regular programming? The Guide appears to be different.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 10-17-2017 at 09:42 AM.
post #9665 of 9687 Old 10-16-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 152
The ATSC 3.0 test signal appears to be on DT 31 again. I'm noticed the signal strength shot up to 100%, but I can't get any decodeable ATSC 1.0 DTV signal. So they must be testing in ATSC 3.0 mode today.
post #9666 of 9687 Old 10-16-2017, 11:12 AM

Back to TV stuff. It's nice to have Cozi on a watchable channel once again. One little annoyance is that Columbo airs on Sunday evening on both Cozi and MeTV. One has the older episodes and the other has the newer episodes. That must annoy those who like Columbo as well as those who don't like Columbo. I happen to be in the latter group.
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #9667 of 9687 Old 10-16-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Back to TV stuff. It's nice to have Cozi on a watchable channel once again.
Sadly, I still watch COZI on WEAK 41.1 at times because WKYC 3.3 still has that green tint shift in it. Not sure if the engineers are looking into the problem.

I sent ANOTHER email to Antenna TV asking them to have WJW look into their green tint on 8-2. The network always replies back telling me that my message has been forwarded to an engineer at WJW, but I never hear a thing back from the station. The engineers there must not know how to reply to emails, or they are color-blind and think I'm crazy. If the picture was upside-down and mirrored with the color inverted, they probably would not fix it.

Newer is not always better.
post #9668 of 9687 Old 10-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Back to TV stuff. It's nice to have Cozi on a watchable channel once again. One little annoyance is that Columbo airs on Sunday evening on both Cozi and MeTV. One has the older episodes and the other has the newer episodes. That must annoy those who like Columbo as well as those who don't like Columbo. I happen to be in the latter group.
The newer episodes have actors you never heard of before.
JJK
nsa1062 likes this.
post #9669 of 9687 Old 10-17-2017, 07:14 AM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I blame QVC on Channel 23.x for putting a spell on me to buy my first Pressure Cooker.

- Pj
Michael P 2341 likes this.
post #9670 of 9687 Old 10-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 68
WMFD has added a new 68.3 subchannel. Last night they were running infomercials with no sound. Terrible PQ with any movement, must be running it at <1 Mbps.
post #9671 of 9687 Old 10-17-2017, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
WMFD has added a new 68.3 subchannel. Last night they were running infomercials with no sound. Terrible PQ with any movement, must be running it at <1 Mbps.
Interesting. It's been a while since I last received WMFD. Any guesses on what that new sub might carry?

EDIT: OK, Someone needs to fix this Wikipedia knock-off page on WMFD. It lists a bunch of subchannels carrying anime networks. (Do those even exist?)

Last edited by snowdog 88; 10-17-2017 at 08:40 AM.
post #9672 of 9687 Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

No idea. They are running the same infomercial over and over with still no sound and incorrect aspect ratio. Knowing WMFD it will probably be infomercials (they run a lot of them on both 68.1 and 68.2 now) and not anything good like Decades or THIS or any of the other subs on those un-receivable LP stations.

Yep, that Wiki page is totally wrong. They have the 68.1 main channel in 1080i (with all their local news and other local programming and syndicated programming in HD), 68.2 is mostly weather and bulletin board ads (with their sister FM station as audio). 68.3 was added in the last day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Interesting. It's been a while since I last received WMFD. Any guesses on what that new sub might carry?

EDIT: OK, Someone needs to fix this Wikipedia knock-off page on WMFD. It lists a bunch of subchannels carrying anime networks. (Do those even exist?)
post #9673 of 9687 Old 10-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Good luck. How many years has this been going on? Just like the WOIO MeTV timing issues that never get fixed (though Antenna's credit crunching and bad editing of shows is way more annoying IMO).

Maybe when Sinclair takes over? I assume they will upgrade the hardware so they can add all of those Sinclair-owned subs.

Quote:
Sadly, I still watch COZI on WEAK 41.1 at times because WKYC 3.3 still has that green tint shift in it. Not sure if the engineers are looking into the problem.

I sent ANOTHER email to Antenna TV asking them to have WJW look into their green tint on 8-2. The network always replies back telling me that my message has been forwarded to an engineer at WJW, but I never hear a thing back from the station. The engineers there must not know how to reply to emails, or they are color-blind and think I'm crazy. If the picture was upside-down and mirrored with the color inverted, they probably would not fix it.
post #9674 of 9687 Old 10-17-2017, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I get WMFD via Dish Network in HD! It's been awhile since I bothered tuning in. I tried watching their news programs. While everything looked fine live (i.e. the news anchors in the studio) all the film clips audio was woefully out of sync. Anyone else notice this and is it still the case today?
post #9675 of 9687 Old 10-17-2017, 04:46 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:

68.2 is mostly weather and bulletin board ads (with their sister FM station as audio).

I bet the weather maps are still the same cruddy ones looking like something out of the 1970's or 1980's, including jamming every city, every town, and every hamlet on the map! They win the award for The Worst Weather Maps I Have Ever Seen.

I get 68 every so often when a bit of local Trop visits the area or if I'm up around 5am-to-8am when some stronger signals are there. (I just checked and it's signal for me is upper teens / low 20's right now. I need 30+ to see it pop-in.)

- Pj
post #9676 of 9687 Old 10-18-2017, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Haven't noticed this but I don't watch them that much.

WMFD actually had syndicated programming (and local news, HS sports, and most everything else) in HD long before WBNX did.

Quote:
I get WMFD via Dish Network in HD! It's been awhile since I bothered tuning in. I tried watching their news programs. While everything looked fine live (i.e. the news anchors in the studio) all the film clips audio was woefully out of sync. Anyone else notice this and is it still the case today?
post #9677 of 9687 Old 10-18-2017, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

It's the only weather subchannel left now. Better than nothing I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
I bet the weather maps are still the same cruddy ones looking like something out of the 1970's or 1980's, including jamming every city, every town, and every hamlet on the map! They win the award for The Worst Weather Maps I Have Ever Seen.

I get 68 every so often when a bit of local Trop visits the area or if I'm up around 5am-to-8am when some stronger signals are there. (I just checked and it's signal for me is upper teens / low 20's right now. I need 30+ to see it pop-in.)

- Pj
post #9678 of 9687 Old 10-18-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

WAOH-CD 29 is going off the air next week.

Regarding WDLI 49/17, there's still no information about what they're doing!! Are they going off the air or sharing?? For what it's worth, I drive by the WDLI building every day, and they removed the fancy TBN logo off the sign in front of the building. The studio and transmitter are located in the same spot.
post #9679 of 9687 Old 10-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

WKBN requests 90-day extension of date to go off-air.

Will be sharing with WYTV.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...5f306abced2d86

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...5f306b144d2d95
post #9680 of 9687 Old 10-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

WTLW Lima requests moving from RF2 to RF4 with 10kW omni

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...70821&goBack=N
post #9681 of 9687 Old 10-18-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WKBN requests 90-day extension of date to go off-air.

Will be sharing with WYTV.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...5f306abced2d86

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...5f306b144d2d95
They give a bunch of lame excuses for delaying the inevitable. I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC approves this extension.
post #9682 of 9687 Old 10-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe there's a back-order on these state-of-the art encoders because of all the stations soon to be implementing channel-sharing. They'll need a really good one to do 3 HD streams.

Second, permitting WKBN-TV to utilize a full 6 MHz channel for an additional 90 days will
allow both WKBN-TV and WYTV to provide the best over-the-air experience to their viewers by
providing a better-quality signal (with increased bandwidth and lower compression), including the
continued broadcast of free multicast streams on both stations. In addition, Nexstar is working
with the host station to obtain the highest-possible quality encoders and then configure those
encoders as optimally as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
They give a bunch of lame excuses for delaying the inevitable. I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC approves this extension.

Last edited by nsa1062; 10-18-2017 at 01:10 PM.
post #9683 of 9687 Old 10-18-2017, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe there's a back-order on these state-of-the art encoders because of all the stations soon to be implementing channel-sharing. They'll need a really good one to do 3 HD streams.

Second, permitting WKBN-TV to utilize a full 6 MHz channel for an additional 90 days will
allow both WKBN-TV and WYTV to provide the best over-the-air experience to their viewers by
providing a better-quality signal (with increased bandwidth and lower compression), including the
continued broadcast of free multicast streams on both stations. In addition, Nexstar is working
with the host station to obtain the highest-possible quality encoders and then configure those
encoders as optimally as possible.
Lets's see...
33.1 - ABC/WYTV - 720p
33.2 - My Network TV - 480i
33.3 - Bounce - 480i
27.1 - CBS/WKBN - 1080i
27.2 - FOX/WYFX simulcast - 720p
27.3 - ION/WKBN - 480i

That's A LOT of channels & bandwidth to shove in that 6 MHz frequency using ATSC 1.0 encoding. Everything is going to look like crap. Not to mention losing half of the available channels in Youngstown if one is unable to receive WYTV.

post #9684 of 9687 Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Especially on Sunday afternoons when both CBS and Fox have football games (and maybe ABC has some sporting event as well). Statmux encoders work by dynamically shifting the bitrates between the various subs in real time based on how demanding the content is. But if all 3 HD channels have demanding live-sports content, they will all end up looking like crap.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SD subs are moved over to the WYFX signal (thought not sure what happens if WYFX can't find a new channel in the repack).

Or maybe WYTV/WKBN only carry the WYFX simulcast in 480i. That leaves 2HD + 4 SD which should not be quite as bad. But if WYFX gets forced off or to VHF in the repack...

Quote:
Lets's see...
33.1 - ABC/WYTV - 720p
33.2 - My Network TV - 480i
33.3 - Bounce - 480i
27.1 - CBS/WKBN - 1080i
27.2 - FOX/WYFX simulcast - 720p
27.3 - ION/WKBN - 480i

That's A LOT of channels & bandwidth to shove in that 6 MHz frequency using ATSC 1.0 encoding. Everything is going to look like crap. Not to mention losing half of the available channels in Youngstown if one is unable to receive WYTV.

Last edited by nsa1062; 10-18-2017 at 07:12 PM.
post #9685 of 9687 Old 10-18-2017, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Would not be surprised if WUAB files a similar extension. WOIO doesn't seem to have upgraded their encoder yet, you would think they would be doing testing at this point. As things stand now, they have to pull the plug on RF28 in 3 months.

Quote:
post #9686 of 9687 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it going to take 6 months to get an encoder and have it ready? Is that the wait time now? I know WKBN, WYTV, and possibly WYFX/MY-YTV all in HD would be a disaster, but what did they expect with selling WKBN? The FCC is so out of touch that they think every station should only be entitled to one standard definition broadcast, and that's laughable. But that's the mess the spectrum auction is creating.
post #9687 of 9687 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Is it going to take 6 months to get an encoder and have it ready? Is that the wait time now? I know WKBN, WYTV, and possibly WYFX/MY-YTV all in HD would be a disaster, but what did they expect with selling WKBN? The FCC is so out of touch that they think every station should only be entitled to one standard definition broadcast, and that's laughable. But that's the mess the spectrum auction is creating.
Six months wait? No big deal. My doctors appointment is a 5 month wait.
JJK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page