Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

Old 06-02-2009, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rluyster is right. The conditions Sat morning were right for signal propagation from the Toledo-Detroit area. I have a VHF-UHF directional antenna on a 30-foot mast pointed at the Parma antenna farm. It just so happens that, from North Canton, Detroit and Toledo are on roughly the same heading as Parma. Y-town is almost exactly 90 degrees to the east of this heading.

I can receive Y-town from here. We are about the same distance from Y-town as Parma. Funny thing is, I have a much easier time with WFMJ-DT from my location than I do with WKBN-DT, despite WKBNs stronger signal. I sometimes catch a solid signal from WFMJ-DT off the side of my antenna while it is pointed at Parma. I can't do that with WKBN-DT, unless the propagation from that direction is unusually strong (pretty rare). I have wondered if my difficulty with WKBN-DT is due to the current side-mount position of the antenna and I happen to be in a "signal shadow". Maybe when they move the antenna to the top-mount position, I will receive WKBN-DT as strongly as WFMJ-DT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackKnight View Post

I have wondered if my difficulty with WKBN-DT is due to the current side-mount position of the antenna and I happen to be in a "signal shadow".

Just the opposite here BK... usually get WKBN-DT and WNEO-DT with the Cleveland antenna (4 bowtie mounted inside)... use a smaller 2 bowtie antenna for WFMJ-DT Youngstown... both antennas have preamps... WUAB-DT and WQHS-DT are my weakest Cleveland stations...
Ed...
Old 06-02-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just got a new 32" Dynex LCD for my bedroom and was just wondering what would be a good, inexpensive indoor antenna that will help bring in the local HD channels here in Akron. I have full cable HD in my basement on my 65" panansonic plasma so I just wanted to see what I could pull in on the LCD for the heck of it. After auto scanning I have HD channels for WUAB, WOIO, WNEO, WJW coming in and just thought if I can pull in a few more that would be nice. thanks for the info and sorry if this is a repeated request.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Pittsburgh's booming in this morning-2, 4, 9, 11, 13 and 22 at the moment..

Subavision, I've had some success with the Terk HDTVa in my location (southwest Canton) but not so much the major HD channels..You should do a bit better in Akron I would think..
Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any reason why 61.1 and 34.1 are simulcasting lately?
JJK
Old 06-03-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

Any reason why 61.1 and 34.1 are simulcasting lately?

That's not a simulcast, as there is no "34.1"...34 is the underlying RF channel for 61.1.

I'd imagine they would have some sort of problem with their PSIP, though I haven't tried getting WQHS-DT OTA lately. I bet if you rescan your tuner, one of them will go away, depending on how badly their PSIP is messed up.

subavision, what part of Akron? Your ability to get Cleveland OTA stations varies widely depending on what neighborhood you're in. Generally speaking, the better shot you have at Parma, the better shot you have at OTA watching.

Some information about where you live (housing wise) and your surrounding terrain is also helpful.

Most of Akron has a decent ability to pick up the Parma antenna farm stations, in general, and some folks here who live in Springfield Township say they get most of the Youngstown market stations with little difficulty.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and subavision, the situation regarding WKYC/3 and WVIZ/25's digital signals should improve sometime between now and a week from Friday.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post

TV DX was also "hopping" from the northern regions early this morning (12:00-3:00 AM) when I was doing my usual night owl thing. I noted digital reception from 66.1 and 24.1 in Erie PA, 36.1, 30.1, 11.1 in Toledo and 52.1 in Castalia OH...also several analog channels from those areas. Most interesting was reception on a N/NE heading from Ontario. No digital stations were seen unfortunately but several analogs were popping through. I was too groggy to try and identify each one but know they were all Canadian by the network "bugs" in the lower righthand screen. The following were noted:

Ch 6 (Global)
Ch 40 (CBC)
Ch 53 (in French, possibly RogersTV)
Ch 69 (Omni)
Ch 32 (TVO)
Ch 56 (CBC)
Ch 18 (TVO)
Ch 13 (CTV)

Reception ranged from poor to good. The CBC on channel 40 looked almost like a local at times. There was probably more lurking on various channels but I was too sleepy to continue changing channels and adjusting the antenna. Conditions for reception may be enhanced again from that direction late tonight/early Thursday, if I'm reading the tropo prediction map correctly.

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

Has anyone ever received any Canadian digital stations yet?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Subavision, I've had some success with the Terk HDTVa in my location (southwest Canton) but not so much the major HD channels..You should do a bit better in Akron I would think..

thanks for the info. I have absolutely no idea where to start on this so this helps a lot. I'm assuming that this is a permanent situation since the signal is being broadcast over the air, right? Should be great when football season starts.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Inundated;16578441]That's not a simulcast, as there is no "34.1"...34 is the underlying RF channel for 61.1.

I'd imagine they would have some sort of problem with their PSIP, though I haven't tried getting WQHS-DT OTA lately. I bet if you rescan your tuner, one of them will go away, depending on how badly their PSIP is messed up.

subavision, what part of Akron? Your ability to get Cleveland OTA stations varies widely depending on what neighborhood you're in. Generally speaking, the better shot you have at Parma, the better shot you have at OTA watching.

Some information about where you live (housing wise) and your surrounding terrain is also helpful.

Most of Akron has a decent ability to pick up the Parma antenna farm stations, in general, and some folks here who live in Springfield Township say they get most of the Youngstown market stations with little difficulty.[/QUOTE
I am near Stan Hywet Hall in west Akron. my terrain is a problem since when i tried to change over to satellite when the installer came and looked at my house with all the tall trees he said "no way this is going to work" and I had to cancel the work order. but I did find ch. 3 last night at 111.1 and it looks great.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:03 PM

subavision212, it is actually pretty simple. It is a manner of getting an indoor antenna, some RG6 cable and a location to put the antenna that should help it get the best reception. The hard part is your location, you need to work around that (trees, buildings, valleys). Try to find the clearest point in your home that points towards Parma.

The other thing is to make sure you get an indoor antenna that gets both VHF and UHF. Why they sell UHF only antennas in this area is beyond me.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Supposedly every TV station was to convert to UHF digital. Then it got unsupposed by someone (bean counters) who didn't like to be in the supposed camp. I still wonder why they picked 16 x 9 for widescreen instead of 2.35 x 1. Like Cole Younger always said, "It's a wonderment".
JJK
Old 06-03-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yespage View Post

subavision212, it is actually pretty simple. It is a manner of getting an indoor antenna, some RG6 cable and a location to put the antenna that should help it get the best reception. The hard part is your location, you need to work around that (trees, buildings, valleys). Try to find the clearest point in your home that points towards Parma.

The other thing is to make sure you get an indoor antenna that gets both VHF and UHF. Why they sell UHF only antennas in this area is beyond me.

The other thing to remember when using indoor antennas is to aim the antenna out a window that faces the transmitters (north side of your house for the Parma farm in the case of Akron). I live ~one mile south of the transmitters and there is a tremendous difference when I aim out the window vs through a wall. You can see the difference on analog stations, however with digital you can't really tell unless you get a lot of break-up. Aiming through a window to start with will save you some grief. BTW: be sure that there are no metal screens in the window. You want to aim through glass and nothing else.
As far as the VHF/UHF thing, after the 12th all low band VHF is history in this market. Most UHF only antennas also get decent reception on high VHF, which is where WJW and WOIO are or will be. My indoor antenna is a UHF only "Silver Sensor", I aim it at Youngstown for WKBN-DT, I get the Cleveland locals off the side and rear with no problems (don't try this at locations farther than here). In this case I'm not even near a window, I just found a "sweet spot" for placing the antenna. There is an east-facing window clear across the the house (through the family room, kitchen and dining room) that may be where WKBN-DT enters. I has no luck with WVIZ with this same antenna until they moved onto WKYC's short tower.

So just like real estate, when it comes to aiming an antenna, it's location, location, location.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

Supposedly every TV station was to convert to UHF digital. Then it got unsupposed by someone (bean counters) who didn't like to be in the supposed camp. I still wonder why they picked 16 x 9 for widescreen instead of 2.35 x 1. Like Cole Younger always said, "It's a wonderment".
JJK

That UHF only thing was just a rumor. In reality High Band VHF is the best frequency band to be on in digital. Here in the Cleveland market some find that hard to believe, since the current local occupant of that band is WOIO. WOIO's situation is not the norm, since they have to protect a Canadian analog station that is not going away any time soon. WJW OTOH should have great coverage as a DT on rf ch 8. I'm willing to be it will be a similar coverage as WKBN-DT.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

That UHF only thing was just a rumor. In reality High Band VHF is the best frequency band to be on in digital. Here in the Cleveland market some find that hard to believe, since the current local occupant of that band is WOIO. WOIO's situation is not the norm, since they have to protect a Canadian analog station that is not going away any time soon.

And that's not even accounting for WOIO-DT's anemic 3 kW power! (Which will be more than tripled at some point to over 10 kW, which is still a third of the power of WJW-DT after a week from Friday. )

subavision, I'm not that far away from you...I pass Stan Hywet on the way to work. You should have a decent shot at the Parma stations from there.

The trees blocking satellite reception may not mean anything. You need to aim satellite dishes south, and the Parma antenna farm is north. If you don't have those trees directly in the north-facing path, you could be in good shape.

You'll just have to wait till the 12th for NBC and Cleveland-based PBS.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:33 PM

Update on WIVM/52-RTN

Time Warner Cable's Program guide, as well as the Canton Repository, seem to have an updated schedule..Dobie Gillis (From Harvest TV I think) Moves to 12:30 weekdays..Most of the other local shows are staying around, some in new time slots..The WHBC morning show stays at 6-9AM weekdays..Plus or Minus 60 telethon interrupts regular programming through Saturday 6-11PM..Things will be more like normal next week..
Old 06-04-2009, 10:54 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

TV DX was also "hopping" from the northern regions early this morning (12:00-3:00 AM) when I was doing my usual night owl thing. I noted digital reception from 66.1 and 24.1 in Erie PA, 36.1, 30.1, 11.1 in Toledo and 52.1 in Castalia OH...also several analog channels from those areas. Most interesting was reception on a N/NE heading from Ontario. No digital stations were seen unfortunately but several analogs were popping through. I was too groggy to try and identify each one but know they were all Canadian by the network "bugs" in the lower righthand screen. The following were noted:

Ch 6 (Global)
Ch 40 (CBC)
Ch 53 (in French, possibly RogersTV)
Ch 69 (Omni)
Ch 32 (TVO)
Ch 56 (CBC)
Ch 18 (TVO)
Ch 13 (CTV)

Reception ranged from poor to good. The CBC on channel 40 looked almost like a local at times. There was probably more lurking on various channels but I was too sleepy to continue changing channels and adjusting the antenna. Conditions for reception may be enhanced again from that direction late tonight/early Thursday, if I'm reading the tropo prediction map correctly.

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

Has anyone ever received any Canadian digital stations yet?

The 53 in French was the London transmitter from the SRC network, the Francophone network owned by the CBC.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Ohio Media Watch/Ohio Digital TV is reporting that antenna placement was being done today on the new ch 3/25 tower and that ch 25 might be active as soon as tomorrow.

http://ohiodigitaltv.blogspot.com/
Old 06-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ohio Media Watch/Ohio Digital TV is reporting that antenna placement was being done today on the new ch 3/25 tower and that ch 25 might be active as soon as tomorrow.

Yes, they were hanging the Ch 26 antenna today. A little bit of plumbing and it should be ready to light up the skies.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post

The 53 in French was the London transmitter from the SRC network, the Francophone network owned by the CBC.

Ok, thanks! So it was good ole Societe' Radio Canada! I have to get a good Canadian station list together since they'll be the bulk of tropo DX after next week. Where are you located? Were you receiving the same stations I mentioned?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Wait... so it will be ready "this summer" like they promised many years ago?
Old 06-06-2009, 03:38 AM

Especially from the East and South-Using my Terk HDTA Indoor and Dish Network's DTV Pal Coverter Box with a 13 inch Sharp TV that was made in 1996..(Includes locals because certain ones are hit and miss)

2-1 KDKA
4-1, 4-2 WTAE, Weather
8-1 WJW
9-1, 9-2 WTOV, RTN
11-1, 11-2 WPXI, RTN
17-1, 17, 2 17-3, 17-4, 17, 5 WDLI, TBN Nets
18-1 WHIZ Zanesville
21-1, 21-2 WFMJ, WBCB
22-1, 22-2 WPMY Analog, WPMY Digital
27-1, 27-2 WKBN, WYFX
33-1. 33-2, 33-3 WYTV, MyTV, Weather (First Time for these)
44-1, 44-2, 44-3 WOUC, Unlimited, Select
45-1, 45-2 WNEO, WNEO Digital
53-1, 53-2 WPGH Analog, Digital
55-1 WBNX
67-1 WOAC

30 total channels-Best in a long time Some of the Pittsburgh Channels were 70-above 90 signal strength..
Old 06-06-2009, 07:03 AM

Scanned the DTV Pal at about 8:45 AM..between 27(virtual) and 44 (virtual)a "Channel 40-01" came on. They were showing the Today Show..I thought at first that Channel 4 Detroit digital RF was showing through but their digital channel is 45..Has anyone else seen anything like this..It disappeared after a few minutes..
Old 06-06-2009, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Scanned the DTV Pal at about 8:45 AM..between 27(virtual) and 44 (virtual)a "Channel 40-01" came on. They were showing the Today Show..

How about Zanesville? WHIZ-DT NBC is normally mapped to 18-1 but if the PSIP branding was down the real RF channel 40 would show up... WLMB-DT Toledo would have virtual channel 40 (RF channel 5) but they're a religious broadcaster... sounds like I slept thru a good band opening...
Old 06-07-2009, 03:31 PM

All right a few weeks ago i posted that i couldnt receive nbc or cbs with my uhf antenna. the replys said to get a vhf so i scooped one up off of craigslist. this thing is huge over 12 feet long. went to radio shack and picked up a uhf/vhf splitter thing and put the antenna up on a 15 foot mast on top pf the roof. i still have no signal for nbc or cbs. if i just hook up the vhf all i get are 5 and 8. i was able to pick those channels up with just the uhf antenna so basically the vhf antenna isnt helping at all. any hints on what i can do? i am located in perry township, next to drs hospital if that helps. i tried pointing east to youngstown and got notta.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

All right a few weeks ago i posted that i couldnt receive nbc or cbs with my uhf antenna.

You should be able to get NBC w/ your UHF antenna when WKYC moves to UHF Ch. 17 this Friday.

You're probably SOL on CBS, as WOIO only puts out 3.5kW on Channel 10, and they have a sharp null to the north (you're in Lake County, right?) to protect CFPL in Canada. I would guess that you have higher terrain to the south that blocks Youngstown, otherwise you could get CBS from WKBN.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post

You should be able to get NBC w/ your UHF antenna when WKYC moves to UHF Ch. 17 this Friday.

You're probably SOL on CBS, as WOIO only puts out 3.5kW on Channel 10, and they have a sharp null to the north (you're in Lake County, right?) to protect CFPL in Canada. I would guess that you have higher terrain to the south that blocks Youngstown, otherwise you could get CBS from WKBN.

nsa:
SamCraig is located in Perry Township, Stark County between Canton and Massillon..

Sam:
What NSA says about WOIO being on 10 is true..It will be tough..If You are high enough off the ground, you should get WKBN pretty good..I get it most of the time in SW Canton with an indoor antenna..There are others here that probably have better answers. Friday will tell the tale..Another thing to consider..WJW will move back to channel 8 for its digital, but its supposed to be a powerful signal..
Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Samcraig is probably in the Perry Township between Canton and Massillon where there is a Doctors Hospital. He shouldn't necessarily give up on WOIO unless there is a significant (tall building or a group of huge tree trunks) obstruction between his location and Parma. He's probably 40 or so miles from the transmitter. I receive WOIO easily here in Salem, and I'm 55 miles from the transmitter.

Samcraig, make sure you're pointing the end of the VHF antenna with the smaller elements slightly west of due north toward the transmitter. You'll also need a good quality preamp like the Channel Master 7777. If you get a 7777, make sure the FM trap is engaged. Channel 10 is subject to harmonics from the FM band. There is also the possibility that the TV transmitters located in Copley will overload the front end of your television's tuner. In that case, you'll need to try a variable attenuator between the preamp's power supply and your television. You might possibly have to settle for a Winegard HDP-269 instead. It has about half the gain of the 7777.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

And that's not even accounting for WOIO-DT's anemic 3 kW power! (Which will be more than tripled at some point to over 10 kW, which is still a third of the power of WJW-DT after a week from Friday. )

subavision, I'm not that far away from you...I pass Stan Hywet on the way to work. You should have a decent shot at the Parma stations from there.

The trees blocking satellite reception may not mean anything. You need to aim satellite dishes south, and the Parma antenna farm is north. If you don't have those trees directly in the north-facing path, you could be in good shape.

You'll just have to wait till the 12th for NBC and Cleveland-based PBS.

Greetings, & when will WOIO be boosting power?

My upstairs setup still has problems with 55 which is on my attic antenna.

Why would wind cause a signal to pixilate (or drift in analog), even on my attic setup it will do this so the antenna is not bouncing around.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I'm up below the ridge, my other best shot at CBS is Toledo... this area of Lake County/Ashtabula is sadly neglected as the Cleveland Market.

I was actually getting a faint analog on 10 last night.

Then there are 2 Perry Townships??