AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Greetings, & when will WOIO be boosting power?

After the time when (and more importantly if) Canada says yes.

I'm not hopeful.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 4207 Old 06-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Then there are 2 Perry Townships??

Yep..Probably several others just in Ohio..
post #153 of 4207 Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post

Yep..Probably several others just in Ohio..

Salem is also located in a Perry Township.
post #154 of 4207 Old 06-07-2009, 06:40 PM

ok let me specify a few things, i am in stark county perry township and the tuner i am using is vista media center so it only scans for the channels in accordance with my area code. i receive 5, 8, 17, 43, 55, and 67 with full bars on my uhf antenna. the whole purpose for the vhf was for 3 and 19. if there not on 3 and 19 then the actual numbers would be great to know. my antenna is set up over 30 feet high and there are trees about 2 blocks down the road but theyre not in the direct view of the antenna. like i said i hooked up the vhf by itself to make sure the antenna wasnt broken and it picked up 5 and 8 perfectly.
btw i just tried to add channel 10 and it wants the frequency. anyone know what it is?
post #155 of 4207 Old 06-07-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

ok let me specify a few things, i am in stark county perry township and the tuner i am using is vista media center so it only scans for the channels in accordance with my area code. i receive 5, 8, 17, 43, 55, and 67 with full bars on my uhf antenna. the whole purpose for the vhf was for 3 and 19. if there not on 3 and 19 then the actual numbers would be great to know. my antenna is set up over 30 feet high and there are trees about 2 blocks down the road but theyre not in the direct view of the antenna. like i said i hooked up the vhf by itself to make sure the antenna wasnt broken and it picked up 5 and 8 perfectly.
btw i just tried to add channel 10 and it wants the frequency. anyone know what it is?

Channel 10 occupies 6 MHz of bandwidth from 192 to 198 MHz. WOIO broadcasts its digital signal on channel 10 at 3.5 kW ERP. It has submitted an application to the FCC to increase its power to 10.3 kW ERP, but a Canadian station that also broadcasts on channel 10 is objecting. It remains to be seen if a compromise will be reached. WKYC's digital signal is currently on channel 2 but it will be switching to channel 17 on June 12th if its new antenna is ready.
post #156 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 AM

This may be stupid question, but I'll shoot:

Why wouldn't WOIO move back to 19 post-transition (much like WJW moves back to 8)? They already have a ch. 19 antenna, and they could get off sharing ch. 10 with the Canadians.

Also, anyone see improved WVIZ-DT signal this weekend? My reception was still spotty at best. I would really rather avoid having to mount an outdoor antenna to get WVIZ in HD.
post #157 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoberts View Post

This may be stupid question, but I'll shoot:

Why wouldn't WOIO move back to 19 post-transition (much like WJW moves back to 8)? They already have a ch. 19 antenna, and they could get off sharing ch. 10 with the Canadians.

Because it's MUCH cheaper to operate on VHF 10 than UHF 19, and Raycom (owner of WOIO) is notoriously cheap. I guess they don't care that much about their OTA viewers - although the signal is OK here [Medina area] with an outdoor antenna, it is about the weakest digital on an indoor rabbit-ears antenna, other than WKYC and WVIZ [which are temporary situations].

Quote:

Also, anyone see improved WVIZ-DT signal this weekend? My reception was still spotty at best. I would really rather avoid having to mount an outdoor antenna to get WVIZ in HD.

WVIZ still appeared to be on lower power as of yesterday (still around 70% on my signal meter as it has been since they moved to the WKYC site - I would expect it to be 95-98% like all the other Cleveland stations if it was transmitting from the big tower).
post #158 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post

Because it's MUCH cheaper to operate on VHF 10 than UHF 19, and Raycom (owner of WOIO) is notoriously cheap. I guess they don't care that much about their OTA viewers - although the signal is OK here [Medina area] with an outdoor antenna, it is about the weakest digital on an indoor rabbit-ears antenna, other than WKYC and WVIZ [which are temporary situations]

That's what I thought might be the case. Glad I get HD from Dish (by the way, for anyone that cares, Dish is now broadcasting Cleveland HD locals from the 129 location, too), but the weather subchannel would be nice to get. You would think after all these years paying for a UHF channel (2 actually, with WUAB), they would be content to keep it.

Heck, I get good signal on sister station WUAB's digital signal. They should see about switching allotments there, at least, to get CBS the better coverage.

In the style of "Action News" 3, 5 or 8 should do an "investigative report" on all the people losing WOIO reception, therefore loosing Browns games, due to the cheapness of Raycom.
post #159 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Thank you AVS gods for starting this thread. The non-stop TWC bickering on the other thread was too much for me.

I'm anxiously waiting for WVIZ to fire up their new antenna...I just did a scan and its not turned on yet.I'll be checking daily and will post if I have success.
post #160 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 12:12 PM

i read in this thread about fta satellite and have done a little searching on the web but cant find much. would anyone with it like to share any info. like how to set up for cheap and how many real channels you get. by real i dont mean the ton of god channels, spanish channels, or home shopping channels.
post #161 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:

i read in this thread about fta satellite and have done a little searching on the web but cant find much. would anyone with it like to share any info. like how to set up for cheap and how many real channels you get. by real i dont mean the ton of god channels, spanish channels, or home shopping channels.

There isn't too much on FTA satellite, but a few things are worthwhile.

First, there are 2 types of FTA, C-band and Ku band. These refer to the frequencies used. Ku requires a 30"+ dish, C band needs a "big ugly dish" (BUD), 6 feet or so. There is some good stuff on C-band, but most don't/can't have that big of Dish.

Some things on Ku FTA: A couple Retro TV affiliates, the Ohio News Network, and the aforementioned ton of God and Foreign channels. There are also a few local stations, and a PBS or 2, if I remember right. There are also "wild feeds" which are typically news and sports feeds from around the country with they frequently don't bother to encrypt.

To get access to everything, you need a HH motor (horizon to horizon) to see multiple sats.

Might I suggest reading up:
satelliteguys.us has a nice FTA section
lyngsat.com/america.html has good listings

Be careful searching. Some websites use FTA as their term for pirating Dish or DirecTV signals. That is illegal and wrong.
post #162 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 01:03 PM

i checked out lyngsat.com and there are a ton of channels. even ones like discovery channel wich would be great. heres the thing, i have 2 dish 500 and i know i would need new lbns for them. what i dont understand are all the different things on lyngsat.com. under the sat row there are amc and galaxy and more. what does that mean? are they diff frquencies or are they actual sats you need to pick up those channels
post #163 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Tim Lones, a participant in this thread, just put up an FTA system and included some pics a couple pages back. Nice setup.

Maybe he'll chime in with some suggestions for you.

AMC and Galaxy are the actual satellites (i.e. these are two different satellites).
post #164 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WVIZ still appeared to be on lower power as of yesterday (still around 70% on my signal meter as it has been since they moved to the WKYC site - I would expect it to be 95-98% like all the other Cleveland stations if it was transmitting from the big tower).

I'm getting nothing for WVIZ. Since they moved their parking lot transmitter to the temporary ch 3 tower location I was getting a very low but (usually) watchable DTV signal for WVIZ. Now my tuner doesn't even see it. I guess they may be working on it (or even moving it) for the full power DTV permanent tower shared with ch 3.

Ch 3 DTV is coming in just fine with their usual signal strength here.
post #165 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Curious as to which way those FTA antennas are pointing.
JJK
post #166 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

Curious as to which way those FTA antennas are pointing.
JJK

Up.
post #167 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

I'm getting nothing for WVIZ. Since they moved their parking lot transmitter to the temporary ch 3 tower location I was getting a very low but (usually) watchable DTV signal for WVIZ. Now my tuner doesn't even see it. I guess they may be working on it (or even moving it) for the full power DTV permanent tower shared with ch 3.

They were tuning the new WVIZ antenna today. Patience...
post #168 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

That's what I thought might be the case. Glad I get HD from Dish (by the way, for anyone that cares, Dish is now broadcasting Cleveland HD locals from the 129 location, too), but the weather subchannel would be nice to get. You would think after all these years paying for a UHF channel (2 actually, with WUAB), they would be content to keep it.

Heck, I get good signal on sister station WUAB's digital signal. They should see about switching allotments there, at least, to get CBS the better coverage.

In the style of "Action News" 3, 5 or 8 should do an "investigative report" on all the people losing WOIO reception, therefore loosing Browns games, due to the cheapness of Raycom.

Thanks for the heads up on Dish putting the Cleveland locals on 129. This answers a problem E* got themselves into when they installed a bunch of 1000.2 dishes here before the HD locals were initially only on the "Eastern Arc". Fortunately I already had a 61.5 dish and get the HD locals off 61.5, as well as the part-time STO & FSN Ohio game feeds. E* does not have the capacity to carry every pro sports game in HD at this time. I wonder if some of the missed HD games off 61.5 are in HD off 129?
post #169 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathode Kid View Post

They were tuning the new WVIZ antenna today. Patience...

Yeah, that's what I figured, working on it.
I only mentioned it for others who may also be getting no (or a very low) OTA signal.
post #170 of 4207 Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Thanks for the heads up on Dish putting the Cleveland locals on 129. This answers a problem E* got themselves into when they installed a bunch of 1000.2 dishes here before the HD locals were initially only on the "Eastern Arc". Fortunately I already had a 61.5 dish and get the HD locals off 61.5, as well as the part-time STO & FSN Ohio game feeds. E* does not have the capacity to carry every pro sports game in HD at this time. I wonder if some of the missed HD games off 61.5 are in HD off 129?

Michael, I moved my dish that was pointed at the 61.5° satellite to 129° a couple of years ago so I could receive Cavs and Indians games in HD. At the time they were not on 61.5° in HD.
post #171 of 4207 Old 06-09-2009, 05:53 AM

I have a question about WJW. Right now, WJW is one of the channels I can consistently get with no trouble using my cheap indoor antenna. When they move back to ch. 8 on Friday, should I anticipate the same problems I have with the other VHF channels (WOIO & WKYC)? Anybody in the know?
post #172 of 4207 Old 06-09-2009, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhi14 View Post

I have a question about WJW. Right now, WJW is one of the channels I can consistently get with no trouble using my cheap indoor antenna. When they move back to ch. 8 on Friday, should I anticipate the same problems I have with the other VHF channels (WOIO & WKYC)? Anybody in the know?

Agreed that the signal on RF31 is rock solid, but WJW wants to to to VHF for the same reasons WOIO does, becuase of the lower power required and operating costs.

They'll be putting out 30kW on CH8, fairly directional to the north. Should be a very good signal in Cleveland and along the lake shore, but only the equivalent of 7-8kW to the SW and SE (and maybe 10-15kW to the south). Still should be significantly better than WOIO.

There is WLIO-DT in Lima, maybe 120-130 miles west, on CH8 putting out 28kw (only a slight null towards Cleveland), so this may cause some interference in the far western fringes in the market. Previously, there was no other CH8 for maybe 200 miles (Grand Rapids, MI, I think).

I guess we'll find out Friday.
post #173 of 4207 Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Agreed that the signal on RF31 is rock solid, but WJW wants to to to VHF for the same reasons WOIO does, becuase of the lower power required and operating costs.

They'll be putting out 30kW on CH8, fairly directional to the north. Should be a very good signal in Cleveland and along the lake shore, but only the equivalent of 7-8kW to the SW and SE (and maybe 10-15kW to the south). Still should be significantly better than WOIO.

There is WLIO-DT in Lima, maybe 120-130 miles west, on CH8 putting out 28kw (only a slight null towards Cleveland), so this may cause some interference in the far western fringes in the market. Previously, there was no other CH8 for maybe 200 miles (Grand Rapids, MI, I think).

I guess we'll find out Friday.

What are they trying to do, increase their Canadian viewership? AFAIK they need to protect Lima to the WSW and Johnstown PA to the east. There is nothing to the south to be protected. Their analog signal comes in strong along the PA border in the Pymatuning Reservoir area. I hope their digital signal will do the same.
post #174 of 4207 Old 06-09-2009, 02:55 PM

WVIZ is now lit up! Real channel 26. Virtual channels 25.1, 25.2, 25.3, 25.4 & 25.9. I'm receiving a strong signal in Salem.
post #175 of 4207 Old 06-09-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemtubes View Post

WVIZ is now lit up!

About the same level as WUAB-DT here in North Canton... no more noisy Red Green Show! -Ed...
post #176 of 4207 Old 06-09-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

WVIZ is presently at 85% here in Canton on my Panasonic plasma. That's somewhat lower than the other Cleveland stations coming from the Parma "farm" but they may still be "tuning up". It's too bad their HD channel doesn't have more bandwidth allocated to it...there's way too many subchannels, IMHO.
post #177 of 4207 Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemtubes View Post

WVIZ is now lit up! Real channel 26. Virtual channels 25.1, 25.2, 25.3, 25.4 & 25.9. I'm receiving a strong signal in Salem.

I just did a scan here in Amherst, picked up 5.1, 8.1, 43.1 and 43.2, but no WVIZ.
post #178 of 4207 Old 06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

WVIZ-DT is booming in with a very good signal here in western Summit County. No complaints from this view.

All my OTA digtial tuners except the USB HDTV stick on my laptop get 25.9, which is the radio reading service audio.

I have another issue with my portable DTV set and the subchannels, which I'll have to explore elsewhere...as I'm not sure if it's WVIZ-DT or the set's software. The subchannels are fine on all the other tuners.
post #179 of 4207 Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
My WVIZ 25.1 coming in at 92 db strength, 27 db signal to noise.
JJK
post #180 of 4207 Old 06-09-2009, 06:47 PM

I'm in geneva, ohio. I want to put a rooftop antenna up to try to get some digital stations. I could do a antenna about 25ft from ground on a 2 story house. Is it worth my while? Will I be able to pull in anything?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page