Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #2011 of 4212 Old 08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For those of you who love DX'ing Canadian TV the near term forecast very looks good.

For those of you wanting to watch WOIO, not so much

See here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 4212 Old 08-02-2011, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

WOIO-DT should have "flash-cut" to RF 19 when they had the chance.

They couldn't, because they would have been short-spaced to adjacent-channel WFMJ RF20 in Youngstown.

Also, there is a digital RF-19 in London ON (SUN-TV) - not nearly as strong as CFPL, but I did pick it up once late at night.

Hopefully when CFPL flashes to digital later this month, that will help - they will be putting no more that around 7kW or so towards the Cleveland area with the new digital pattern as opposed to the 325 kw ND analog signal now.
post #2013 of 4212 Old 08-02-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

The numbers are falling fast. New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and San Francisco all have no weather subchannels at all.

- Trip

Actually this should be essential information to every DMA (likely carried by the station in the DMA with the largest coverage), in effect it could be useful to have the crawlers direct you to this sub whenever nasty weather strikes.

they are running commercials on OTA TV being there for public safety, this is in effect a good public service use of free OTA TV.... & it's ok to tun commercials in a frame to generate some revenue.

I found 52's sub giving me more information on the Rt 2 construction in Lake County than I could get anywhere else... & I can only recieve this channel once in a blue moon.

Be nice if 55 would pick this up instead of the static screen... speaking of which weren't they going to do something with their sub?

Stumbled across this....

Cool TV
post #2014 of 4212 Old 08-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Actually this should be essential information to every DMA (likely carried by the station in the DMA with the largest coverage), in effect it could be useful to have the crawlers direct you to this sub whenever nasty weather strikes.

they are running commercials on OTA TV being there for public safety, this is in effect a good public service use of free OTA TV.... & it's ok to tun commercials in a frame to generate some revenue.

I found 52's sub giving me more information on the Rt 2 construction in Lake County than I could get anywhere else... & I can only recieve this channel once in a blue moon.

Be nice if 55 would pick this up instead of the static screen... speaking of which weren't they going to do something with their sub?

Stumbled across this....

Cool TV

Oh yeah, The Cool TV channel!

My 16 yr old son is in Denver visiting with his dad this summer and told me about The Cool TV; he doesn't watch much TV, but he was pretty enthusiastic about that channel!

I see that it's available in almost every other large city in Ohio except Cleveland...............
post #2015 of 4212 Old 08-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I'm almost certain it's CFPL causing interference, especially at night this time of year. Canada is supposed to switch over to digital on August 31st. Maybe their new signal pattern will help reduce problems for WOIO. The Antennacraft HBU33 is a good antenna though.

Oh, no doubt that the Antennacraft HBU33 is a good antenna; the truth of the matter is that we got the antenna and went to install it on Saturday. Well, our ladder wasn't quite tall enough, so we borrowed a taller one from the neighbor. When hubby climbed up to the roof, he realized that the pitch was a bit steeper than he originally thought it would be (from viewing at ground level), and since neither of us are exactly "spring chickens" anymore, we thought better about prowling around up there. So what to do until we can get the landlord to send out one of his handymen? We had already connected it to the existing cable wiring to the house, so we took the antenna to the backyard and "mounted" it to the chain link fence, supported by an old crutch that was lying around the garage......

But amazingly, all channels except for ION come in beautifully, despite the antenna being at a lower height than even our indoor "rabbit ears"! I imagine when we actually get it up on the roof it will be amazing!

Well, I hope that the WOIO signal problem goes away once Canada goes digital; we sure are enjoying the Me TV channel....actually, it's still on right now at 7:40 pm, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed .
post #2016 of 4212 Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Stumbled across this....

Cool TV

Subchannels can be useful if presented to the public in the correct manner (which is not being done currently).

There is something that can be done now, but it is going to take a mandatory overhaul of pay television subscribers. Allocate channels 2 through 99 as QAM for the respective OTA stations in the local area and reallocate the subchannels to their respective channels (For example, 3-1 and 3-2 are together). Use channels 100 and above for cable broadcasts. DirecTV and Dish Network have this type of a format already in use.

If this type of system was in use, it could be used to continue special broadcasts after a station goes back to regular programming. For example, in a major storm WKYC may go wall-to-wall with coverage on 3-1 currently, but if this system were in place, the station may be willing to go back to regular programming and defer weather coverage to 3-2.

Of course if this type of system were in place, the cable companies can sell a package which only includes the OTA stations and the subchannels.

BTW, WBNX always intended 55-2 to be "The Ernst Angley Channel." They probabily can't afford to run it 24-7 at the present time without getting significant cable carriage.
post #2017 of 4212 Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looks like W35AX application on 16 has been reinstated http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....ion_id=1353065
post #2018 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Newbie View Post

Oh yeah, The Cool TV channel!

My 16 yr old son is in Denver visiting with his dad this summer and told me about The Cool TV; he doesn't watch much TV, but he was pretty enthusiastic about that channel!

I see that it's available in almost every other large city in Ohio except Cleveland...............

From what I read almost like the old TUBE video channel that formerly was on 43-2.. I se that it's on in Columbus & Cincinatti .. but then again so is RTN on in other Ohio markets ... at least on a full power station.

Quote:

Oh, no doubt that the Antennacraft HBU33 is a good antenna; the truth of the matter is that we got the antenna and went to install it on Saturday. Well, our ladder wasn't quite tall enough, so we borrowed a taller one from the neighbor. When hubby climbed up to the roof, he realized that the pitch was a bit steeper than he originally thought it would be (from viewing at ground level), and since neither of us are exactly "spring chickens" anymore, we thought better about prowling around up there. So what to do until we can get the landlord to send out one of his handymen? We had already connected it to the existing cable wiring to the house, so we took the antenna to the backyard and "mounted" it to the chain link fence, supported by an old crutch that was lying around the garage......

But amazingly, all channels except for ION come in beautifully, despite the antenna being at a lower height than even our indoor "rabbit ears"! I imagine when we actually get it up on the roof it will be amazing!

Well, I hope that the WOIO signal problem goes away once Canada goes digital; we sure are enjoying the Me TV channel....actually, it's still on right now at 7:40 pm, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed .

You must be in the higher elevation of Euclid, though perhaps the chain link fence is acting as a ground plane.
post #2019 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmking12370 View Post

Subchannels can be useful if presented to the public in the correct manner (which is not being done currently).

There is something that can be done now, but it is going to take a mandatory overhaul of pay television subscribers. Allocate channels 2 through 99 as QAM for the respective OTA stations in the local area and reallocate the subchannels to their respective channels (For example, 3-1 and 3-2 are together). Use channels 100 and above for cable broadcasts. DirecTV and Dish Network have this type of a format already in use.

If this type of system was in use, it could be used to continue special broadcasts after a station goes back to regular programming. For example, in a major storm WKYC may go wall-to-wall with coverage on 3-1 currently, but if this system were in place, the station may be willing to go back to regular programming and defer weather coverage to 3-2.

Always thought they could use the subs when pre-empting for local programming (ie: Indians Baseball), & of course as you say WX announcements.

Would not need 2 through 99 on QAM just 2-69 (at least for those areas that have stations above a virtual 51)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmking12370 View Post

BTW, WBNX always intended 55-2 to be "The Ernst Angley Channel." They probabily can't afford to run it 24-7 at the present time without getting significant cable carriage.

Could always revert to something like 52-2 has during off Angley hours, to generate a bit of revenue.
post #2020 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 05:48 AM

[quote=Bismarck440;20770501]I'm likely pretty close to you, so you aren't having sudden dropouts on 3 either, (perhaps trees also?) I wouldn't call the locals solid per se though 19 is the most troubleprone, & 8 for some reason is nonexistant on my attic setup. Are you getting 23 & 17

QUOTE]

I get 23 solid about half the time. I get 55 too but i do not get 17. I have not rescaneed in awhile though.

Ray
post #2021 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Getting that antenna on my roof really helped improve the signals on everything for me. Before I put it on the roof, it was ok, but the roof mount helped me get several more channels including all the Youngstown channels which I couldn't get from the ground.
post #2022 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbuchina View Post

I get 23 solid about half the time. I get 55 too but i do not get 17. I have not rescaneed in awhile though.

Ray

Getting 23 here with about 60% locked signal about 90-95% of the time, & I been getting 17 about 50-60% of the time with a 40-50% signal (this was a little better a few months back).

Someone a few streets away from me does not pick up 17 or 23, though gets a signal from WCDN (53) on RF7.. which is pretty much impossible on my end.

My 8 on my attic antenna yields about a 20% signal which I'm able to lock 0-5% of the time, though my outdoor pretty much yelds a 80% signal, with some dropouts on occasion.
post #2023 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post

Could be CFPL (an analog channel in London ON Canada also operating on RF channel 10) killing off WOIO in Euclid (I get analogs from Canada just about every night during the summer). It might get better in a month or so when the skip over the lake subsides.

EDIT: It may get better sooner if this is the cause - don't all Canadian analogs shut down this month? The pattern for CFPL digital on RF 10 shown in the FCC database is directional with a null to the south, apparently to protect WOIO.

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...0&facid=189116

I don't know if WOIO had a power boost or something, but as of last night, we've had no drop out or pixeling whatsoever; the signal has been strong and constant......

I'm not complaining, just keeping my fingers crossed!
post #2024 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:

From what I read almost like the old TUBE video channel that formerly was on 43-2.. I se that it's on in Columbus & Cincinatti .. but then again so is RTN on in other Ohio markets ... at least on a full power station.

You must be in the higher elevation of Euclid, though perhaps the chain link fence is acting as a ground plane.

Yes, we are just south of Euclid Ave, up on the big hill overlooking Euclid Creek Reservation.

I'm really loving this OTA free tv, especially "This" TV (43.2)! It's my new favorite channel!
post #2025 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoniez View Post

looks like W35AX application on 16 has been reinstated http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....ion_id=1353065

Any sign of a digital launch date yet?
post #2026 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Any sign of a digital launch date yet?

Probably next summer at the earliest, if this application gets approved (the FCC takes their time on these applications, and tower work can't be done in winter weather).

Hopefully they can find enough duct tape to hold their analog transmitter together until then.
post #2027 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, we are just south of Euclid Ave, up on the big hill overlooking Euclid Creek Reservation.

I'm really loving this OTA free tv, especially "This" TV (43.2)! It's my new favorite channel!

Amen! This sorta fills the voids for the old independent channels of yesteryear, & are kind of nostalgic... & just look at the savings too.

I would think you would do better there than Lakeshore Euclid, I still don't pick up Canada like everyons says I should here it's just like being in a bowl (to quote someone else) with the ridge somewhat shadowing the Cleveland farm.
post #2028 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know if WOIO had a power boost or something, but as of last night, we've had no drop out or pixeling whatsoever; the signal has been strong and constant......

I'm not complaining, just keeping my fingers crossed!

No power boost from WOIO probably weather conditions... I'm picking up a slight analog on 2, 3, 4, 5, & 11 though I attribute this to 'dirty' Crime Warner cable interference.
post #2029 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoniez View Post

Unless I'm reading it wrong the null looks to be more to the east now rather than northeast.
post #2030 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
About 90% of the time I get analog channel 13 CKCO from Kitchener Ontario. It's not watchable, but I usually get a clear audio. Anyone else picking this one up?
post #2031 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Unless I'm reading it wrong the null looks to be more to the east now rather than northeast.
Looks to me the null is slightly west of north and pretty wide, with the deepest part (0.05) between 140 and 220 un-rotated, but it is then rotated 170-deg, so that works out to between 310-deg and 30-deg. Somewhat similar to WOIO, WKYC, and WVIZ.
post #2032 of 4212 Old 08-03-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
About 90% of the time I get analog channel 13 CKCO from Kitchener Ontario. It's not watchable, but I usually get a clear audio. Anyone else picking this one up?
I often get this, along with 40, 51, and sometimes 69 from London; occasionally 6 (video only - audio gets clobbered by an FM station), 9, 18.
post #2033 of 4212 Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks to me the null is slightly west of north and pretty wide, with the deepest part (0.05) between 140 and 220 un-rotated, but it is then rotated 170-deg, so that works out to between 310-deg and 30-deg. Somewhat similar to WOIO, WKYC, and WVIZ.

Using reverse angle I'd be at 48* relative to the station, If I remember right (b4 they removed the Tiger maps) the null was aimed directly at Lake County to protect the weak signal in Erie.

Perhaps they are reducing power to compensate to make sure the signal does not leave Cuyahoga County?

Quote:

I often get this, along with 40, 51, and sometimes 69 from London; occasionally 6 (video only - audio gets clobbered by an FM station), 9, 18.

Ditto, (Painesville Spanish station knocks out audio on 6/7), occasional 13 though not lately,
post #2034 of 4212 Old 08-04-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:

Amen! This sorta fills the voids for the old independent channels of yesteryear, & are kind of nostalgic... & just look at the savings too.

I would think you would do better there than Lakeshore Euclid, I still don't pick up Canada like everyons says I should here it's just like being in a bowl (to quote someone else) with the ridge somewhat shadowing the Cleveland farm.

Yes, the savings are substantial. Our pretty basic channel lineup from Crime Warner (thanks for that, I love it!) was around $70 per month; when I called to downgrade (eliminating the digital box with only the first "tier" - no premium channels, etc...came with their "bundle package") I was told that the price would be remain $70 per month since the box was part of "the package".... Just a little more than two years ago, I was paying around $40 per month for that same basic cable, so a $30 increase with continually less channels (they kept moving channels we liked to "another tier") was the breaking point for us.

And as far as our initial investment in OTA TV? 2 digital converter boxes, one indoor antenna (we didn't realize that the big outdoor antennas were so inexpensive), one outdoor antenna and $80 for an installer to come out and mount the antenna to the existing mast on the roof (he's supposed to come out today) were slightly more than 3 months cable bill, and it's done; that's it - no monthly bill, no hassling with Crime Warner, etc. Now if only they would bring back the "old skool" TV Guide...........

I must have been so enthusiastic about it that my daughter in Denver has recently ditched her cable company as well, opting for the free OTA TV. She loves "The Cool TV" and "Antenna TV".
post #2035 of 4212 Old 08-04-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:

Probably next summer at the earliest, if this application gets approved (the FCC takes their time on these applications, and tower work can't be done in winter weather).

Hopefully they can find enough duct tape to hold their analog transmitter together until then.

Next summer? Waaaaa!

Oh well, I'll live!
post #2036 of 4212 Old 08-04-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:

Using reverse angle I'd be at 48* relative to the station, If I remember right (b4 they removed the Tiger maps) the null was aimed directly at Lake County to protect the weak signal in Erie.

Click on the "Relative Polar Field Plot" under the first entry to see the pattern (the 2nd entry shows the existing analog pattern, and that indeed did protect Erie). The digital appears to be protecting something in Canada, like most of the Cleveland digital stations.

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...=0&facid=41074

At 48-deg, the field strength should be just under 40% of maximum, probably not too bad. Of course, the FCC may kick this application back again, and there may be further changes to the pattern.
post #2037 of 4212 Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Getting that antenna on my roof really helped improve the signals on everything for me. Before I put it on the roof, it was ok, but the roof mount helped me get several more channels including all the Youngstown channels which I couldn't get from the ground.

The handyman is coming this afternoon to get that antenna up on the roof; I don't know if he knows anything about pointing the thing; we have it where everything except for ION comes in perfectly, and I'm assuming that the only reason that we don't have ION is simply because of the lack of height......I'm thinking that if I can get the guy to position the antenna to slightly favor the southerly direction of ION all else should fall into place; all the channels are already scanned into the converter box.

But then again, I am a "newbie" to all of this, and certainly no techno whiz!
post #2038 of 4212 Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps then I'm not taking the 170* rotation into account (as I'm seeing a S/SE null)?... that would null off toward Lorain.

Actually really no point to null toward Erie until they go digital. I seldom recieved a watchable signal from 35 anyway.
post #2039 of 4212 Old 08-04-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But then again, I am a "newbie" to all of this, and certainly no techno whiz!
Was everyone here weened on cable all their life? This was my understanding though that cable was in sorts a luxury, & my thinking is basic TV was not a utility.

One of my neighbors asked me since I didn't have cable, how was I watching TV.... well, there is this thing on the roof called an antenna & (Yada Yada Yada) ... anyhow these folks have about 5-10 years on me.... I was suprised they forgot the earlier days of OTA TV.

I never actually lived in an area with cable until I was in high school , though I know it had been in certain select areas years earlier.

Nice though that your landlord isn't getting upset, I know that when the cable company comes in they go wild with drilling into siding & such. I know the condo management has issues with attaching anything to the siding (If I did it), yet the cable company comes in & makes a mess & everythings A-OK if they do it!

Quote:
Yes, the savings are substantial. Our pretty basic channel lineup from Crime Warner (thanks for that, I love it!) was around $70 per month; when I called to downgrade (eliminating the digital box with only the first "tier" - no premium channels, etc...came with their "bundle package") I was told that the price would be remain $70 per month since the box was part of "the package".... Just a little more than two years ago, I was paying around $40 per month for that same basic cable, so a $30 increase with continually less channels (they kept moving channels we liked to "another tier") was the breaking point for us.

And as far as our initial investment in OTA TV? 2 digital converter boxes, one indoor antenna (we didn't realize that the big outdoor antennas were so inexpensive), one outdoor antenna and $80 for an installer to come out and mount the antenna to the existing mast on the roof (he's supposed to come out today) were slightly more than 3 months cable bill, and it's done; that's it - no monthly bill, no hassling with Crime Warner, etc. Now if only they would bring back the "old skool" TV Guide...........

I must have been so enthusiastic about it that my daughter in Denver has recently ditched her cable company as well, opting for the free OTA TV. She loves "The Cool TV" and "Antenna TV".
Basic went up that much?? I was figuring I was saving about $40/month though they supposevely have (or had) a 13 channel package for around $15 which is what I would have opted for if I was forced into it. Plus the PQ (Picture Quality) on Cable was usually degraded. The kids that delivered my dads set in in the mid 90's were so impressed with the OTA signal... one never seen a picture that good.

Yes, what they seem to do is sucker you into it then jerk the price up with confusing package bundles (much what the auto industry did).
post #2040 of 4212 Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Was everyone here weened on cable all their life? This was my understanding though that cable was in sorts a luxury, & my thinking is basic TV was not a utility.

One of my neighbors asked me since I didn't have cable, how was I watching TV.... well, there is this thing on the roof called an antenna & (Yada Yada Yada) ... anyhow these folks have about 5-10 years on me.... I was suprised they forgot the earlier days of OTA TV.

I never actually lived in an area with cable until I was in high school , though I know it had been in certain select areas years earlier.

Nice though that your landlord isn't getting upset, I know that when the cable company comes in they go wild with drilling into siding & such. I know the condo management has issues with attaching anything to the siding (If I did it), yet the cable company comes in & makes a mess & everythings A-OK if they do it!

You know, I can't speak for the others, but I actually wasn't raised on cable, although it sure feels like it by now - I think I got cable sometime back in 1985 or '86 when an apartment that I lived in got wired for cable and of course, made regular television unwatchable (I suspect that they disconnected the wiring from their community antenna) even with rabbit ears. Of course, cable was still kind of a novelty then, pretty affordable (I'm thinking about $9 per month), and of course the kicker was "commercial free".... yeah, we were certainly suckered for a good 20 years! So I, for one, am glad about the digital switch because I was unable to get any kind of OTA reception prior to that.

I don't know if my landlord actually cares about anything but having the rent paid on time and not having the cops being called out on a regular basis....this place was a foreclosure, vacant and not in pretty shape (need I mention the gashes in the aluminum siding here where it looks like someone was attempting to pry it off??); it's already been wired to the brim for cable, satellite, etc...... as well as an old rusty rooftop antenna already in place that nobody ever bothered to remove. So we simply used the existing wiring (replacing the coaxial cable where need be) and look at it as an "upgrade" to this place to have a brand new antenna!

Basic went up that much?? I was figuring I was saving about $40/month though they supposevely have (or had) a 13 channel package for around $15 which is what I would have opted for if I was forced into it. Plus the PQ (Picture Quality) on Cable was usually degraded. The kids that delivered my dads set in in the mid 90's were so impressed with the OTA signal... one never seen a picture that good.

Yes, shockingly enough! I think that even that basic 13 channel package has soared from the original $15 per month to almost $30........Yikes! I agree, the picture from OTA signals is amazingly better than cable.

Yes, what they seem to do is sucker you into it then jerk the price up with confusing package bundles (much what the auto industry did).

I do hate those package bundles, they really are confusing, and always have that caveat of "introductory price" after the asterick and in very small print!

BTW, pardon my formatting; the bolded parts are mine.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page