9Likes

post #2701 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bismarck440:
Forgot to mention that most video editing software have trials to download for free for 30 days. So if you have the video captured to the computer you can use big time software for free with the trials but then again you must use the internet for registration. They also have a permanent "trial icon" on everything you edit.
JJK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

This is a surprise, (55 bleeping words on This!?). Does 43 have future plans for 43.3?.. weather sub?

Presumably it will be deleted in favor of Mobile DTV. That would be my guess, anyway.

Quote:

Perhaps RTN or PBJ!?!?

If they intend to add one of those, they certainly haven't told us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary16 View Post

THIS TV is moving to 55.2 some time between now and September so likely they will move those religious shows to 55.3.

I hadn't seen any press releases about this, but I am willing to believe it since Raycom dropped This in other markets. Any official literature on it?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2703 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

So 1100 is going to a FM repeater on 99.1? 1100 like elsewhere is OK by day & gets quieter @ night, depending on the radio, occasionally being knocked off by KMOX or WBT.

I used to work in a Metal building in Mentor up untill last year, & surprisingly I was able to receive 1100 for Cavs games at night, though the radio was fickle to having the dial set just right.

In Akron, it's the rumor that 640 WHLO will have 102.5 as an FM transmitter. Right now, Air 1 is using it, but there's a construction permit to increase the power from 10 watts to about 75. Even though it's only 10 watts right now, it covers Akron pretty well. Recently, K-Love started a low power station on 90.7. They moved from 91.7 to help cut interference on the new full power 91.9 WKJA.
post #2704 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hey there, Bismark!

Must be some interesting tropo conditions this morning - I have been getting WMYD 20.2 (RF 21) "The Cool TV" all morning long on my outdoor HBU33. I have only occasionally been able to pull that channel in on my indoor Terk, but never on the outdoor antenna. Pulling in at around 53 to 58 percent with very little dropping - thought I'd let you know since you are closer to the lake than I am.

Happy Dxing!

post #2705 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannykewl View Post

For video editing, Giveaway Of The Day often has some kind of video software for free, you have to check every day as they have a new app to give away, but I'd say a video app comes around every other week or so. The apps they have are free, however you must download and install it the same day of the giveaway, and will keep working until you either delete it, re-install Windows, do a system restore before that point, etc, then you can't get it back unless the offer it again. They are usually apps that you normally pay some bucks for otherwise:

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

Another to try is Dot Tech: http://dottech.org/freebies/

and sometimes CNET's Cheapskate has links to a freebie app or deal:

http://news.cnet.com/cheapskate/?tag=nl.e796

Would likely have to download to a public PC to a memory stick, so this likely woyld not work, the Vista machine is not on the internet, & if I could get it there it would be on a dialup, would make no point doing this unfortunately.

I'll have to see what they are offering though, I understand Movie Maker is pretty good for what I'd be doing, yet I'm not having luck with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

Bismarck440:
Forgot to mention that most video editing software have trials to download for free for 30 days. So if you have the video captured to the computer you can use big time software for free with the trials but then again you must use the internet for registration. They also have a permanent "trial icon" on everything you edit.
JJK

Yeah.. having that internet necessary thing wouldn't work.
post #2706 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Newbie View Post

Hey there, Bismark!

Must be some interesting tropo conditions this morning - I have been getting WMYD 20.2 (RF 21) "The Cool TV" all morning long on my outdoor HBU33. I have only occasionally been able to pull that channel in on my indoor Terk, but never on the outdoor antenna. Pulling in at around 53 to 58 percent with very little dropping - thought I'd let you know since you are closer to the lake than I am.

Happy Dxing!

Have to look, I was not getting anything on scan about 5:30 am, though strange I was getting Ion 23 on my attic antenna, but not on my outdoor antenna at this time!
post #2707 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any word on 8 going back to 31
post #2708 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

In Akron, it's the rumor that 640 WHLO will have 102.5 as an FM transmitter. Right now, Air 1 is using it, but there's a construction permit to increase the power from 10 watts to about 75. Even though it's only 10 watts right now, it covers Akron pretty well. Recently, K-Love started a low power station on 90.7. They moved from 91.7 to help cut interference on the new full power 91.9 WKJA.

I wonder if I got an HD car radio if I could get the WHLO stream reliably off WKDD 98.1 hd2 in Parma?

What is WKJA?

EDIT: I answered my own question by doing an FM query at the FCC website. COL: Brunswick & full power, yet the transmitter is just north of Wooster!?! What's up with that? Brunswick is barely inside the service contour based on the Google map.
post #2709 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

I wonder if I got an HD car radio if I could get the WHLO stream reliably off WKDD 98.1 hd2 in Parma?

What is WKJA?

EDIT: I answered my own question by doing an FM query at the FCC website. COL: Brunswick & full power, yet the transmitter is just north of Wooster!?! What's up with that? Brunswick is barely inside the service contour based on the Google map.

WKJA is related somewhat to Calvary Chapel of California..They are basically a repeater of KRTM Yucca Valley, Calif..I've gotten the station on Canton's West side before..They really get out there..
post #2710 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So WKJA is another station like the "AIR 1" repeaters? It's kinda weird to hear California stations OTA in Ohio. How many other stations are out there carrying KRTM?
post #2711 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Liked: 12
Anyone familiar with the Winegard FV-30BB antenna? 1sale a day is running a 1 day sale on it:

http://1saleaday.com/wireless/

Supposed to do UHF and high VHF to 30 miles. Wondering if it will work better in my attic than the bowtie I have there now. Thanks.
post #2712 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:

So WKJA is another station like the "AIR 1" repeaters? It's kinda weird to hear California stations OTA in Ohio. How many other stations are out there carrying KRTM?

According to KRTM's page, there are 7 stations carrying it's programming..6 out west and WKJA, which is by far their strongest affiliate signal..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRTM
post #2713 of 4252 Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is WKJA?

What is Air 1, a pay service? HD radio has become the best kept secret. JVC offers this HD tuner on it's upper low end & up Car receivers, yet Home component receivers do not offer this unless you go way top end.

Blips & DX were strong today from Detroit, was only able to get a lock on WXYZ 7 (RF 41) & a brief lock on WWJ 62 (RF 44) over at my dad's place today for a few hours. Newbie, no blips on 21 though. Blips on 14, 29, 38, 43, & 51.

Note WXYZ no longer carries RTN on 7.2, ... what's up with that Trip?
post #2714 of 4252 Old 03-23-2012, 02:28 AM

Air1 is just a secondary service of Educational Media Foundation, which also has the K-Love Network. K-Love has hundreds of stations and translators which do Contemporary Christian Music 24/7..Air1 is a companion station in some cities..K-Love will just about take any station they can get their hands on, and except for their largest stations, do no local origination.

WKJA is part of Calvary Chapel Radio and does mostly teaching programs..Not much music at all..
post #2715 of 4252 Old 03-23-2012, 04:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Note WXYZ no longer carries RTN on 7.2, ... what's up with that Trip?

Scripps did a group deal with Live Well back in September or something, which is why Live Well is on WEWS. RTV has been gone from WXYZ for a while now.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2716 of 4252 Old 03-23-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

What is WKJA?

WKJA started around a year ago. It's a full power radio station. They practically had to use a shoe horn to fit this into the FM radio spectrum. And a few low power FMs had to make changes to accomodate this. 91.9 Air 1 went off the air in Cleveland, and 91.7 K-Love moved to 90.7 in Akron. There was even a low power station in Wooster on 91.9 that had to go off the air, and it was even broadcasting at the same time as WKJA when they first signed on the air, causing interference. WKJA seems to have a good coverage for the area.

I have an Accurian HD radio, and the reception is tricky on HD. You have to have a GOOD signal on anything in order to get the HD. I use an outdoor antenna, and it works decent, but it can still be tricky. I'm not sure if the car HD radios are any different.
post #2717 of 4252 Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:

WKJA started around a year ago. It's a full power radio station. They practically had to use a shoe horn to fit this into the FM radio spectrum. And a few low power FMs had to make changes to accomodate this. 91.9 Air 1 went off the air in Cleveland, and 91.7 K-Love moved to 90.7 in Akron. There was even a low power station in Wooster on 91.9 that had to go off the air, and it was even broadcasting at the same time as WKJA when they first signed on the air, causing interference. WKJA seems to have a good coverage for the area.

I have an Accurian HD radio, and the reception is tricky on HD. You have to have a GOOD signal on anything in order to get the HD. I use an outdoor antenna, and it works decent, but it can still be tricky. I'm not sure if the car HD radios are any different.

This is probably more off topic than necessary, but oh well..I have suggested that Bible Broadcasting Network try to find a way to get into the Akron-Canton area with a full-power station for at least 30 years..They had four decent possibilities..Beach City based WOFN (88.7), WKJA (91.9 which displaced the Wooster BBN), The Denny/Marge Hazen stations (90.1 Bolivar License, 90.9 Carrollton) and WCRF Millersburg (90.5) am hoping they might get hold of the silent WCER-900 Canton but dont expect that to happen..
post #2718 of 4252 Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post

Air1 is just a secondary service of Educational Media Foundation, which also has the K-Love Network. K-Love has hundreds of stations and translators which do Contemporary Christian Music 24/7..Air1 is a companion station in some cities..K-Love will just about take any station they can get their hands on, and except for their largest stations, do no local origination.

WKJA is part of Calvary Chapel Radio and does mostly teaching programs..Not much music at all..

So in effect this is like a network, with repeaters being the affiliate? I read something of 106.1 being Air 1 in Cleveland, though the signal I seem to get there (if any) is the old CD 106 out of Youngstown. (strange I could pick up Youngstown FM here but not the TV).

Quote:

The one I installed in dad's car (to replace his broken factory CD/Cassette) seems to work great... hooked to the original factory antenna with no signal amplification. I had put a new head unit in my summer car about 3 years back, now I'm sorry I didn't wait for the HD option.
post #2719 of 4252 Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 PM

As far as HD radio, you have to be able to get a fairly strong signal on the main carrier, in my experience with a portable Insignia FM HD radio, must be 3 if not 4 bars out of 4, with no multipath. The HD1 signal which is also the same program the analog signal carries will revert back to the analog signal if the HD1 signal isn't strong enough, however the HD1 signal is a lot better in dynamic range, pretty much CD quality. For the stations that have HD2, HD3, and sometimes an HD4 subcarrier, it's all or nothing, just like digital TV. If the signal "fades out" on you, there's nothing until you get the signal back. HD2, HD3, and HD4 are generally less quality that the HD1 signal, similar to TV subchannels that are generally SD while the main .1 channel is generally HD. The only one I know of locally that goes all the way to HD4 is WKSU 89.7. WNWV used to have to HD3, but since going back to the Wave, dropped all their subs. I tried my portable in the car, using it's wire as an antenna, and spotty reception unless you're within maybe 5 miles of the stick. HD radio broadcasts at only 10% of the effective power output of the main analog carrier, in reality 1/100th of the wattage. However DTV puts out 1/10 of the power it did on analog for roughly the same signal area. The FCC may someday allow HD to go to 10% of the main analog carrier's power which will then approximate the analog signal's coverage, or at least allow the stations to increase it somewhat. I never tried a true HD car radio, but would guesstimate it would work fairly well in strong signal areas with occasional drop outs or reverting to analog if listening to an HD1 signal.
post #2720 of 4252 Old 03-23-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannykewl View Post

The FCC may someday allow HD to go to 10% of the main analog carrier's power which will then approximate the analog signal's coverage, or at least allow the stations to increase it somewhat.

Welcome to "someday." About a year ago, the FCC raised the IBOC power limit from -20 dBc to -14 dBc across the board, and increases to -10 dBc are now allowed if excessive interference to other stations will not result.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2721 of 4252 Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Welcome to "someday." About a year ago, the FCC raised the IBOC power limit from -20 dBc to -14 dBc across the board, and increases to -10 dBc are now allowed if excessive interference to other stations will not result.

- Trip

Thanks much for the update on this, Trip in VA. I haven't read much on this medium in about a year, guess I should have kept up. I have a hunch, WKSU may have applied the allowed increase, as at first I couldn't get any of their HD signals, now I can often get them. Other locals don't really seem stronger though, but not weaker either. I should also be calling it IBOC, which is the correct terminology. HD doesn't necessarily mean "high definition" in this case, I think the original intention was "hybrid digital".
post #2722 of 4252 Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You are correct, WKSU-FM now operates at -14 dBc. See here: http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....ility_id=34045

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2723 of 4252 Old 03-24-2012, 09:44 AM

on zap2it 43.3 says sign off on This Tv march 26th at 12am and 55.3 has a This Tv logo and listing for This Tv starting at 5am
post #2724 of 4252 Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

So This! will end up on 55.3 instead of 55.2? I figured sooner than later, but thought it would had been March 31st.

Good that WBNX is picking it up!
post #2725 of 4252 Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 PM

i'm just guessing that 43.3 will end up as Kin TV i think it's going to launch in june
post #2726 of 4252 Old 03-25-2012, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Okay, I gotta ask---What's "Kin TV"?
JJK
post #2727 of 4252 Old 03-25-2012, 06:16 AM

Kin TV a description can be found here http://www.multichannel.com/article/...s_in_Black.php scroll down to FILLING A NICHE VOID
post #2728 of 4252 Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

Bismarck440:
JJK

Actually the first step would be getting it over to my PC, thus the interface, probably standard video in to USB to the pc (or would a slide in PC card with video inputs do this?). I thought one of the interfaces I purchased did this via Video in to USB, though the installing software (for the interface) needed a broadband internet connection to complete installation.... back to the store it went. I'm thinking I could use Movie Maker or perhaps something else is available free or realitively affordable.

I read up a bit on KIN TV that started as an indy UHF Channel 58 in Perry (Macon) GA. I find it strange that both Bounce & KIN are on the WPGA Flagship of KIN which is in direct competition with Bounce. Right now they are the sole affiliate untill they launch nationwide in June.

What is this 'Soul of the South' mentioned in the article, yet another micronetwork? Competition is good & great to have choice, but are these going to become that competitive that they kill each other off?

I'd like to see a few more channels like Me, Antenna & This!, I find myself not watching all that much network anymore with these options.
post #2729 of 4252 Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 AM

This TV is now on OTA on 55.3..WUAB is showing an explanation on a slide with an 877 Number, though calling the number doesnt really tell you any more than what is on the screen..Tried to do a screen capture on the WUAB-43.3 screen but it didnt take..(Did recent screen captures on Free to air pictures and they came out much better)
post #2730 of 4252 Old 03-26-2012, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post

This TV is now on OTA on 55.3..WUAB is showing an explanation on a slide with an 877 Number, though calling the number doesnt really tell you any more than what is on the screen..Tried to do a screen capture on the WUAB-43.3 screen but it didnt take..(Did recent screen captures on Free to air pictures and they came out much better)

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page