Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #2881 of 4280 Old 07-05-2012, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Getting JET-24 on a bow tie antenna in West Park tonight. I usually get stuff from Detroit/Toledo, but not east:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 4280 Old 07-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was getting 7.1 from Detroit and 9.1 from Canada for a very short time
JJK
post #2883 of 4280 Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Early this Morning (Friday) ftom 5-7am was getting WWHO 53.1 (RF46.1) Columbus CW, about a 70 signal strength too... & only on my attic antenna.

What was strange was NO blips from WBNS on 21 or 36 rf (Virtual 28) .. in fact no blips anywhere. (???)
post #2884 of 4280 Old 07-07-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Some photos of tropo DX reception from WGRZ-HD, Buffalo, NY, Ch. 2.1 & 2.2 (RF ch. 33) last night after 11 PM. 2.1 is NBC, 2.2 is Antenna TV.

post #2885 of 4280 Old 07-11-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Did Ion 23 (WVPX) bump up their power or make any changes in the last 5-6 weeks?

They seem to be coming in most of the time on my attic antenna now.
post #2886 of 4280 Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know about 23 but I think 47 did.
JJK
post #2887 of 4280 Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Personally, I suspect that summer propagation conditions are enhancing the signals.
post #2888 of 4280 Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 PM

Quite possible..I've seen my first whiff of Akrons WOIO-RF 24 the other night,,with a Dish converter box and aTerk amplified indoor antenna..Only 49-54 signal strength and couldnt lock it in..The first time I've ever seen it, after hoping it would cover Canton better..

47 I do surprisingly well with in the spot I have my antenna..
post #2889 of 4280 Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

What bugs me is when the signal strength is a steady 30 or 40 the tv won't lock in and there doesn't seem to be any reason. IMHO if the signal is steady at 10 it should lock in.
JJK
post #2890 of 4280 Old 07-13-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

What bugs me is when the signal strength is a steady 30 or 40 the tv won't lock in and there doesn't seem to be any reason. IMHO if the signal is steady at 10 it should lock in.
JJK
I don't gets a lock on anything under 65. A "10" is nothing but a blip. At 65 it will come in but there my be some pixilation.
post #2891 of 4280 Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bismarck440:
I don't believe Microsoft checks for additional users of XP products anymore so you could get some XP install discs from some of your freinds.
JJK

TY I'll keep this in mind, the few people I know don't have these discs, was suggested I try the Library also which they didn't have XP distribution discs.

So I could just use the Software Key from my XP Laptop?

I'd actually like to reformat the Laptop, the online is more painstakingly slower than dialup now as the 'updates' are choking the living explicitive of the hard drive when I have a chance to get online in a wi-fi area.

Discs never came with this laptop either..... strange why you would acually need hard copies of software so I've been told.
post #2892 of 4280 Old 07-13-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

I don't gets a lock on anything under 65. A "10" is nothing but a blip. At 65 it will come in but there my be some pixilation.

This all must be relative to the set. On my newer set the threshold is set so high when I go to a weak channel if it won't lock I will see nothing on the meter (this is somewhat annoying living in the fringes), &/or the channel will be 'unavailable', yet when I lock a station I will seldom if at all see ANY pixelization once it locks.

I also cannot go to a weak station unless I've received it prior & the set has the information already in it.

What would be nice if the threshold could be user settable to pass or reject weaker signals.
post #2893 of 4280 Old 07-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Bismarck440:
I am sure you have to get an install disc from somebody. You might try some "older" friends as they seem to save stuff.
And make sure the product key is on the disc cover or it won't work until you install the key.
JJK
post #2894 of 4280 Old 07-13-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bismarck440:
I am sure you have to get an install disc from somebody. You might try some "older" friends as they seem to save stuff.
And make sure the product key is on the disc cover or it won't work until you install the key.
JJK

I wish it was all that simple. I don't know a lot of people in this area anymore, & the few I inquired to, never got the OS discs with their system... Bill Gates likes it that way... wink.gif (on my Windows Vista machine I never got the discs either)... but got plebnty of Mal/Nag ware already installed!

Karma telling me to upgrade the machine.. then again on dialup this's an impossibility too... Newer OS don't get along with the old Dialup!
post #2895 of 4280 Old 07-14-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Noted I'm finally getting audio on 87.7 on the car radio, a slight background hiss, so I'm assuming it's in stereo. They are broadcasting Indians fight songs.

Didn't listen long enough to see if they are id'ing
post #2896 of 4280 Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Noted I'm finally getting audio on 87.7 on the car radio, a slight background hiss, so I'm assuming it's in stereo. They are broadcasting Indians fight songs.
Didn't listen long enough to see if they are id'ing
Yes they ID once every 12 minutes. The entire loop was posted on You Tube (see the link, it's earlier in this thread). If you watch it on an analog TV there is a slide show that shows the ID constantly. There are bad frames in the slide show, some of the pictures are distorted and jumpy.

The FM stereo pilot lights up on my car radio, but the fight songs are all mono (the Michael Stanley song might be stereo but it's hard to tell in my car, my right speaker is damaged).

The hiss may be due to the fact that most FM radios cannot tune to the exact frequency which is 87.75. Someone with a radio that can tune to that precise frequency said the sound was much louder when properly tuned.
post #2897 of 4280 Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm was the hiss is just the weak carrier, yes I finally did hear an ID. Is this the same audio simulcast on TV ch 6.. or the actual audio? So not actually on frequenmcy, I get a dead carrier att times in the car, no stereo beacon. I should see if the old Pioneer locks it.

Back to this summers propogation, I have yet to see WMFD, & WGGN-TV, & only seen 11 & 13 from Toledo a couple times this season, a few years back the Toledo Stations were around every 3 days or so.

Not much DX at all this year other than the unusual appearance of WWHO.
post #2898 of 4280 Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 AM

Liked: 12
The audio for WLFM on 87.7(5) *is* the the actual analog channel 6 audio frequency, it's not a separate signal apart of the TV station. Often just dead air on that station, and the video would be blank (a black screen but no pic).
post #2899 of 4280 Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm was the hiss is just the weak carrier, yes I finally did hear an ID. Is this the same audio simulcast on TV ch 6.. or the actual audio? So not actually on frequenmcy, I get a dead carrier att times in the car, no stereo beacon. I should see if the old Pioneer locks it.
Back to this summers propogation, I have yet to see WMFD, & WGGN-TV, & only seen 11 & 13 from Toledo a couple times this season, a few years back the Toledo Stations were around every 3 days or so.
Not much DX at all this year other than the unusual appearance of WWHO.
I'm much closer than you are to WMFD & WGGN and have never seen them (except for WMFD's satellite feed as part of the Cleveland locals on both Dish and Direct). 11 & 13 should come in to Mentor frequently as there is no ground clutter between Lake County and the Toledo antenna farm. The DX was far better in the analog days. The trade-off is when you do get digital DX the picture is pristine (at least for a short time anyway) versus a snowy picture.

You got WWHO in Mentor! That was a great catch.
post #2900 of 4280 Old 07-17-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The ability to use 87.7 FM as an audio source also prompted a lot of TV stations on Channel 6 (in the analog days) to promote that audio signal for commuters in cars. i.e. "Want to listen to News 6 in your car? Tune into 87.7 FM!"

I have one radio that'll tune exactly to 87.75, and the testing WLFM has sounded better with exact tuning.
post #2901 of 4280 Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm much closer than you are to WMFD & WGGN and have never seen them (except for WMFD's satellite feed as part of the Cleveland locals on both Dish and Direct). 11 & 13 should come in to Mentor frequently as there is no ground clutter between Lake County and the Toledo antenna farm. The DX was far better in the analog days. The trade-off is when you do get digital DX the picture is pristine (at least for a short time anyway) versus a snowy picture.
You got WWHO in Mentor! That was a great catch.

Every so often I would pick up WMFD & WGGN, seemed to mirror the Toledo DX.

WWHO (53 virtual - 46 RF), was giving me an 70+ on my meter for a few hours one morning but only on my attic antenna, & no other blips out of Columbus that morning. Forgot one morning was getting WBNS in for a couple hours too, that's the strongest out of Columbus. Last fall on the Attic antenna I was getting great signal from WHIZ (18 Virtual - 40 RF)... neither of these catches wer avail on my outside antenna.

Considering being in the shadow of the ridge here it was unusual, but I remember in the '70's in this area, WBNS with a SW antenna orientation would always win out over CFPL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

I have one radio that'll tune exactly to 87.75, and the testing WLFM has sounded better with exact tuning.

Ditto, though it sounds even better on 87.8 or 87.85. I kinda forgot how to use this receiver & set the steps over the years.

So I'm taking TV 6 will just be a static screen with no programming & a rock station in the background?
post #2902 of 4280 Old 07-18-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure that WLFM-LP will do something interesting with the video portion of their signal. Maybe a live camera in the studio.

BTW: It's more than a rock station, they want to be a rock and talk station like WMMS' Alan Cox.
post #2903 of 4280 Old 07-22-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure that WLFM-LP will do something interesting with the video portion of their signal. Maybe a live camera in the studio.
BTW: It's more than a rock station, they want to be a rock and talk station like WMMS' Alan Cox.

Kind of like the old Howard Stern on TV format then?

I find myself listening to less music on the radio & although I'm not all that wild about sports (Not a lot to be optomistic about in this area) I always seem to have The Fan on in the car now. You know you're getting old when you stop listening to pop & mainstream Radio... I was keeping up with all the newer alternative music untill about 3-4 years ago until MMS's format change. Dan Akroyd used to have a Jazz show on Sunday evenings on 107.3.

Both the Raycom stations (43 & 19) have lost their program information for a several days now.

I had another question for the affacianado's here, I was watiching a DVD copy of Albinino Alligator from the Library last week, seems the movie was shot in 2.39, but presented in 2.35. My Set & Bluray player actually was stretching & distorting the picture out.. I had to put the Bluray player in 16:9 Squeeze mode then was able to watch it distortion free but as a 'postage stamp'. I took this over to my dads & tried it in all 3 of his players, only his Bluray presented it to the edges & non distorted, the other machines squished it or stretched it. Seems like these machines treat this as a 4:3 format then do a 'stretch' to the edges. I tried the Fill & overscan modes on my set & the image was still distorted. On my 4:3 Tube & Philips DVD player using Component output, the movie appeared in the correct proportions, yet just the larger black bars (which is what I would expect).

Is this stretching some kind of incompatibility between the set, player & the disc? I'm not really a big fan of the 2.35 & above format.
post #2904 of 4280 Old 07-23-2012, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Your Bluray player is not set correctly or not picking up the flags as indicated by the proper operation of the Philips DVD player. There are many adjustments involved with those things (Bluray) but it is probably not the tv set unless you have some kind of HDMI cable problem. HDMI cables come in many flavors---1,2,3, and 4. I think you need the HDMI 4 for 3D. You probably should have the HDMI 3's. Most HDMI capable machines will not allow component outputs to function.
The Bluray technical specifications are kind of in the sort of fantasy land with Bluray manufacturer player standards with many revisions.You might need a firmware update for your machine.
JJK
post #2905 of 4280 Old 07-23-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your Bluray player is not set correctly or not picking up the flags as indicated by the proper operation of the Philips DVD player. There are many adjustments involved with those things (Bluray) but it is probably not the tv set unless you have some kind of HDMI cable problem. HDMI cables come in many flavors---1,2,3, and 4. I think you need the HDMI 4 for 3D. You probably should have the HDMI 3's. Most HDMI capable machines will not allow component outputs to function.
The Bluray technical specifications are kind of in the sort of fantasy land with Bluray manufacturer player standards with many revisions.You might need a firmware update for your machine.
JJK

Not sure what version the cable is, but thinking the pinouts are the same on all HDMI's?? (or not??)

My BR is 1.1 or 1.5, I intently set out to find an older stock without the 'live' feature, but again a couple of the standard DVD players didn't handle this well disk either, 2 were Sony's & one was a Toshiba Combo. I'd like to see how my other Toshiba DVD player handles this, though cannot due to it being currently set for component, output & my set does not offer component in without an adapter (which I'm wating for). frown.gif

I see though not all discs are created equal! This is the first issue I've had, & the release is by Mirmax.

Old news, but nevertheless...

http://radioworld.com/article/%E2%80%98franken-fm-situation-heats-up/4551
post #2906 of 4280 Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 PM

I am new to Of Air T.V. (except when I was a kid with rabbit ears). I installed an Antenna Craft HBU33 on my roof, with a tripod and a 5' mast. I live in Kenmore near Barberton. I am pretty happy with my reception but I am not able to pick up WAOH and today when I came home from work (5:00pm) WKYC's strength was fluctuating and kind of choppy. Should I get a Pre amp, or is the antenna too small? Any suggestions would help!

Thanks,
Jefferson
post #2907 of 4280 Old 07-23-2012, 03:24 PM

Before I installed the antenna I spent a few days on AntennaWeb and TVFool, I figured this antenna would be adequate.
post #2908 of 4280 Old 07-23-2012, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonHarris View Post

I am new to Of Air T.V. (except when I was a kid with rabbit ears). I installed an Antenna Craft HBU33 on my roof, with a tripod and a 5' mast. I live in Kenmore near Barberton. I am pretty happy with my reception but I am not able to pick up WAOH and today when I came home from work (5:00pm) WKYC's strength was fluctuating and kind of choppy. Should I get a Pre amp, or is the antenna too small? Any suggestions would help!
Thanks,
Jefferson

I live in Norton and I also have the Antennacraft HBU33 with 5' mast on my roof. I have it attached to a rotator and pre-amp. It works very well for me. The pre-amp helps boost the signal a bit. I'm not sure why WKYC would be flakey for you. It's one of the strongest ones I get here. Your location may be an issue. Do you have any hills near you? Are you in a low lying area? You might want to try repositioning the antenna or using the pre-amp. This antenna is pretty good on UHF since I can also get WFMJ and WKBN from Youngstown. WAOH is really low budget, and they're still using analog channel 29. They have a construction permit to switch to digital, but I'm not sure when this will happen.
post #2909 of 4280 Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I live in Norton and I also have the Antennacraft HBU33 with 5' mast on my roof. I have it attached to a rotator and pre-amp. It works very well for me. The pre-amp helps boost the signal a bit. I'm not sure why WKYC would be flakey for you. It's one of the strongest ones I get here. Your location may be an issue. Do you have any hills near you? Are you in a low lying area? You might want to try repositioning the antenna or using the pre-amp. This antenna is pretty good on UHF since I can also get WFMJ and WKBN from Youngstown. WAOH is really low budget, and they're still using analog channel 29. They have a construction permit to switch to digital, but I'm not sure when this will happen.

I really don't think my location should be an issue. I am not sure if you are familiar with my area, I am very close to the corner of Wilbeth and East Ave. As far as my Antenna Postion, I am pretty sure I have it located The way AntennaWeb showed me. I could have my Fiancee watch Channel 3 while I mess with the Antenna to see if I can get a stronger signal. I think I will eventually get a preamp just to make sure I have stronger signal strength during a storm.
post #2910 of 4280 Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I had another question for the affacianado's here, I was watiching a DVD copy of Albinino Alligator from the Library last week, seems the movie was shot in 2.39, but presented in 2.35. My Set & Bluray player actually was stretching & distorting the picture out.. I had to put the Bluray player in 16:9 Squeeze mode then was able to watch it distortion free but as a 'postage stamp'. I took this over to my dads & tried it in all 3 of his players, only his Bluray presented it to the edges & non distorted, the other machines squished it or stretched it. Seems like these machines treat this as a 4:3 format then do a 'stretch' to the edges. I tried the Fill & overscan modes on my set & the image was still distorted. On my 4:3 Tube & Philips DVD player using Component output, the movie appeared in the correct proportions, yet just the larger black bars (which is what I would expect).
Is this stretching some kind of incompatibility between the set, player & the disc? I'm not really a big fan of the 2.35 & above format.
It looks like the original '99 DVD release of "Albino Alligator" was non-anamorphic which should explain what you're seeing and why it behaves erratically player to player. You likely need to zoom and stretch to get it to fill your widescreen today which takes playing with some of your Blu-Ray/DVD player settings typically. There is a more recent DVD release which I presume is anamorphic and the Blu-Ray offering definitely is...

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page