Henry Kloss Dead at 72 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-06-2002, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The grandfather of modern rear-projection television and early proponent of the acoustic suspension speaker has passed from natural causes:

http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....y=breakingNews

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-06-2002, 12:10 PM

I feel sad and bad that another audio icon has departed us in this world. I am an audiophile that goes back to the 1960's where alot of Henry Klosses speakers and Hi-Fi innovations were considered high quality. He was a true audio and video man at heart! We will surely miss him (at least I will).
I still have two pairs of KLH Model 5 speaker systems, a set of KLH Model 6 and a set of original Large Advent speakers all designed by him. I also still have lots of AR speakers a company he helped co-found. Fairwell Henry Kloss! Hope the younger generation engineers will have the passion and love for the art, science and hobby like you did!
:(
post #3 of 7 Old 02-07-2002, 08:33 AM

Got my large Advents reconed a couple of years ago when they were 25 yr old -- the guy who did it was quite pleased to do it, and said they were some of the best speakers around, still. Not bad for $100 each in 1973.

They are now my front channels speakers in my set up, still sound good. Crank out some good bass.

I think we're ALL Bozos on this bus!
post #4 of 7 Old 02-07-2002, 08:56 AM

My KLH 5's, after 32 years, were moved to another room when I replaced the sound system for my home theater. With systems designed by people like Henry Kloss, I figure I'll get new speakers every 30 years or so.:cool:

David S.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-07-2002, 06:13 PM

As an old financial broadcaster, I feel sadder for his loss (he was a good friend of one of my station partners). Personally had the old Advent at the start (delta config.), and even the NovaBeam, which one or two of you may recall, before the Sony coffee-table sort of replaced that (more modern, harder to damage). Quite an era it was; as projection itself was the novelty; nothing like HD.

long and full life to us all!

gene
www.ingerletter.com

gene

post #6 of 7 Old 02-10-2002, 06:19 PM

I am very saddened by the passing of Henry Kloss. I had the pleasure of meeting him twice in my career and remember him fondly. Mostly, I will remember the 'not so public' Henry that we all heard about. He made his mark on the culture in a very unique way.

My company will soon be introducing the NEW Advent Brand High Performance TV. Soon you will see Direct View Flat Screen HDTVs (sorry, no projection yet) with very high feature and performance content. We will have the first tube HDTV with Faroudja DCDi circuitry, for instance. And, in the spirit of Henry Kloss, the prices will be very agressively BELOW the current market!

Lee Schoenfeld
Advent HDTV
post #7 of 7 Old 02-11-2002, 07:50 AM

I have wondered what happened the Advent brand. A couple of years ago I saw some smaller Advent speakers for sale at some electronics shop, but was not able to find out anything about the company, or if these were HK designs, or what. I thought he was aligned with Boston Acoustics most recently (great speakers -- my rear channels to go with the front Advents)?

Is the Advent TV related to the older Advent company at all? Web site or anything with more info?

--R

I think we're ALL Bozos on this bus!
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page