Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 50 Old 04-08-2002, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 6000 does seem to handle 480p in a different manner because the only zoom mode that works is Stretch and Grey Bar.

I've emailed Dish several times about this and never received a response from them.

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 04-08-2002, 06:44 PM

Greetings all -

Sorry I haven't been around to post in a while. As everyone has probably heard, our parent company, Meredith Corporation, announced a station swap a couple of weeks ago with Fox Television Stations, Inc. which would give ownership of KPTV channel 12 in Portland to Meredith - pending final FCC approval. Fox Television Stations, Inc would get two Meredith stations in Florida in the swap.

As such, and the fact the we also just got a new General Manager as part of the deal, I've been a little too busy lately to participate here.

Having said that - I'm back for a bit. Now, on to the meat of why I popped in today... The recent problems with the KPDX-DT signal.

We are, as always, working on it. I know that this issue has been a source of frustration to everyone out there and we are continuing to try to find the source of the problems. We have recently discovered that our DTV Encoder appears to be randomly transmitting packets out of order, skipping some and transmitting some twice. It appears that some receivers aren't bothered by this, but a number of others are. Oddly enough, none of the ones we use here at the station has seen any of the problems - but we know we do have a problem with our MPEG bitstream.

Finding the problem - ahhh, that's a different matter. We don't have a ton of test equipment for DTV and the old problems of having no budget to work on the digital station haven't changed. We continue to work with the manufacturer of the encoder and are trying to solve the issue when we have time to work on it.

We really appreciate everyone's continued patience.

Thanks,
Ed

Edward E. Williams, CPBE
Director of Engineering
Fox 12 / PDX-TV
Portland, Oregon
post #33 of 50 Old 04-09-2002, 10:23 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hey Ed,

If you happen to read this would you care to comment on how the ownership/GM changes might affect the DTV situations for KPDX/KPTV? Any little tidbits or inside scoop you might be able to drop on us? Inquiring minds want to know! Of course if you can't comment at this time we'd understand :). Thx.

ron
post #34 of 50 Old 04-09-2002, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I should probably let Ed do the 'No comment' for himself, but in case he can't even go that far...

Until the FCC approves the sale and it is consumated the Meredith folks aren't allowed to have any say in the operation of KPTV or even offer what they 'might' do in the future. The FCC is very strict about the a propossed new having no say in stations be bought until it has the FCC stamp of approval. They have even forced the cancellation of sales in the past for not complying with this.

That said, we ALL want to know what is going to happen.

Lee
post #35 of 50 Old 04-09-2002, 01:28 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

That's pretty much what I figured. Can't blame a guy for trying though huh? ;)

ron
post #36 of 50 Old 04-09-2002, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the update, Ed.

As of this evening, all problems seem to be resolved. Aside from a couple dropouts which could easily be attributed to signal dropoff (still hasn't dipped below 65%, inclement weather and all), both Andy Richter Controls the Universe and 24 were smooth throughout, and the news is looking good thus far. Cheers!

Now if you could get Fox to stop mixing up the episode order! *shrug* This evening's episode of Richter was clearly intended to follow the first episode. I hate it when networks do that…

*sigh*,
-Moorebid
post #37 of 50 Old 04-21-2002, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

…when it rains…

As of two days ago, Friday, April 19th, everything was copacetic. Dark Angel was as smooth as I've ever seen it, not a signal drop in sight.

Tonight, April 21st, I tuned in about half-way through King of the Hill, was treated to about 2 seconds of video/audio, then the video completely froze, while the audio continued on, stuttering with about the same frequency as it had in the past when both audio and video broke up simultaneously.

This is, by far, the worst I've yet seen it. These freezes can last anywhere from 5 seconds to over a minute - longer than that for which I have the patience to wait.

Once again, this is a Dish 6000, software version 754PCNAD-N, running off a RS double bow-tie, and tonight's signal strength is exceptionally good, averaging about 85%, never dipping below 82%. Meanwhile, I have a 67-68% signal strength off of KATU, with no problems whatsoever (too bad it's not in HD).

…it pours.
-Moorebid
post #38 of 50 Old 04-21-2002, 10:06 PM

Well,

So much for watching X-Files in widescreen tonight. Breakups are making Fox 49 unwatchable.

Dish 6000 here... About a 75% signal strength.
post #39 of 50 Old 04-22-2002, 11:35 AM

I've pretty much given up on Fox 49. These problems just make it too much of a crap shoot so I just avoid the problem by not watching. Let me know when they start to be consistent....then I might start watching again.

Scott
post #40 of 50 Old 04-22-2002, 12:57 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Wow, I'm really surprised that different boxes would make so much of a difference. I watched Malcolm and X-Files last night with the mits and everything was just fine with the exception of a few short audio dropouts toward the end of X-Files.

ron
post #41 of 50 Old 04-23-2002, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by R11
Wow, I'm really surprised that different boxes would make so much of a difference. I watched Malcolm and X-Files last night with the mits and everything was just fine with the exception of a few short audio dropouts toward the end of X-Files.
Now that you mention that, it does bring to mind the fact that this version of the software for the Dish 6000 was just released between the last time we were seeing problems, and this time now. The problem with KPDX's encoder could very well be the same, but the new software may be dealing with it differently - in quite a negative fashion.

This is disheartening, that Echostar could mess up so badly, but I would hardly call it surprising.

*shrug*

For the record, nothing has changed since Sunday; both Andy Richter and 24 have been completely unwatchable.

This is what we get when our lives depend upon software engineers,
-Moorebid
post #42 of 50 Old 04-24-2002, 10:23 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

That's too bad. I watched 24 last night and it was fine for me except for the random audio dropouts here and there.

ron
post #43 of 50 Old 04-24-2002, 05:10 PM

Well, is it time to call the support line at Dish Network?
post #44 of 50 Old 04-24-2002, 06:54 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Karl, I'm not so sure it would do you any good really. In his last post Ed did say they do have problems with their encoder. Other than having that fixed I'm not sure what else would make much difference. It sounds like the different STB maybe have different levels of tolerance to unperfect bitstream (error correction maybe?).

ron
post #45 of 50 Old 04-24-2002, 09:29 PM

Well, I'll be...

It seems like Fox 49 is doing fine tonight. First time in weeks!

Go figure...
post #46 of 50 Old 04-24-2002, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Karl Englebright
Well, I'll be...

It seems like Fox 49 is doing fine tonight. First time in weeks!
Not quite the first time in weeks… we did manage to get about 9 days without problems (or at least, none longer than a day) last week.

And tonight, it is considerably better. It no longer freezes within 2 seconds of tuning in, but I'm not getting the cleanest signal either. I'm getting drop-outs relatively frequently during Greg the Bunny, but my signal strength is rather more variable this evening; it's varied anywhere between 72% and 85%, but what's odd is that these drop-outs occur even at the high-end of that spectrum, and the gauge doesn't display any drop in signal.

Ah well… it's still plenty watchable, a lot better than it had been prior to this recent software upgrade when the encoder was having problems. GG, Ed.

-Moorebid
post #47 of 50 Old 04-25-2002, 09:29 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Did you Dish guys see this thread regarding OTA reception and your upgrade?

ron
post #48 of 50 Old 04-25-2002, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

FOX was fine last night, at least during the brief time while I was there checking it out and I have a Dish 6000.

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
post #49 of 50 Old 04-27-2002, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad
FOX was fine last night, at least during the brief time while I was there checking it out and I have a Dish 6000.
I have set up Fox with a DST50 and I am having a lot of weird problems. To say it is jumpy is kind of an understatement. I basically get a lot of macro-blocking and such. It could be caused by a lot of multipath I guess. I am at a friends house so I have not any past experience with the location or what the signals are like. I get the same reception over a wide angle so it does not seem to be a signal strength issue.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers!
DAve.
post #50 of 50 Old 04-29-2002, 09:14 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Well, I watched X-Files last night and even for me with the Mits box I was getting occasional signal breakup for the first time. Not bad enough to make it unwatchable by any means but I was figuring if it was bad enough that it was now affecting me it must have been really bad for you dish receiver people. I wonder if they will address this thing any time soon? With the station transferring hands and the new general manager it seems like maybe they've kinda pulled the plug on DTV attention (at least for the time being anyway) :(.

ron
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page