Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 50 Old 02-10-2002, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With no changes made, sometime between Friday evening and Sunday morning, KPDX Fox49 in Portland, OR suddenly became very jumpy, breaking up and stuttering every couple seconds on my Dish 6000. At first, I thought it might have just been the local affiliate's encoder, as it was all local and/or syndicated content, whereas Dark Angel on Friday night exhibited nothing of the sort. However, this has continued throughout this evening's network feed very much the same. I continue to get a solid 80% signal strength from the broadcaster using my Radio Shack double bow-tie, while with any of the other broadcasts, I receive no such problems, with even lesser signal strengths.

I should hope I'm not the only one to see this problem.

-Moorebid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 02-10-2002, 09:57 PM

Same thing here. Seemed to start some time between Fri night / Sat morning.
post #3 of 50 Old 02-11-2002, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jled5087
Same thing here. Seemed to start some time between Fri night / Sat morning.
And are you too using a Dish 6000? Or perhaps a different decoder?

Thanks,
-Moorebid
post #4 of 50 Old 02-11-2002, 09:30 AM

Hi folks,

Sorry I haven't had a chance to get in here and tell you what's been going on with the DTV encoding system here. I took a well deserved weekend off...

Our studio encoder was giving our techs fits all weekend. It's a lovely device - tells you it's working perfectly when you can tell from the off-air receive that it's clearly NOT working well. The engineers over the weekend tried basically everything, but weren't able to clear the problem.

We made a few calls to tech support this moring (Mon, 2/11) and went through a process of goat sacrifice and laying on of hands - that sort of thing - and the encoder APPEARS to be working OK now (as of 9:30 AM Monday.)

We'll keep a close eye on it over the next couple of days - hopefully it's fixed.

I'll let you know when the "KPDX DTV Encoder Replacement Foundation" opens for donations...

Thanks for your continued patience.

Ed

Edward E. Williams, CPBE
Director of Engineering
Fox 12 / PDX-TV
Portland, Oregon
post #5 of 50 Old 02-11-2002, 09:46 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hey Ed,

I thought you guys just recently hooked up the new receiver from Fox corporate? Is the receiver separate from the encoder then? I was thinking it was all one unit.

ron
post #6 of 50 Old 03-10-2002, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edwardewilliams
Our studio encoder was giving our techs fits all weekend. It's a lovely device - tells you it's working perfectly when you can tell from the off-air receive that it's clearly NOT working well. The engineers over the weekend tried basically everything, but weren't able to clear the problem.

We made a few calls to tech support this moring (Mon, 2/11) and went through a process of goat sacrifice and laying on of hands - that sort of thing - and the encoder APPEARS to be working OK now (as of 9:30 AM Monday.)

We'll keep a close eye on it over the next couple of days - hopefully it's fixed.
Hey Ed,

Thanks for the update. Just FEI (for everyone's information), everything did appear to be operating fine since the time you mentioned (there may have been one night in the past few weeks where things were bad again, I can't recall for certain), until 3 days ago, Thursday, March 7th. The signal again became jumpy all throughout Family Guy - both episodes! :( It cleared up again Friday (except it wasn't the network digital feed, Dark Angel was standard 4:3), but was jumpy again by Saturday, and has been all weekend. I'm watching The X-Files right now, and it's as bad as I've ever seen it.

This time, use a lamb. :)

-Moorebid
post #7 of 50 Old 03-11-2002, 09:54 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

I watched The Simpsons, Malcom and X-Files last night and everything seemed fine to me. I do continue to get breakup for no apparent reason (full 100% signal strength) on KOIN though....

ron
post #8 of 50 Old 03-11-2002, 10:18 AM

Ed,

just thought I'd mention that on my RCA DTC-100>RCA vga-to-component converter>Panisonic Tau set up, the Video was perfect through Sunday's 7 - 10pm line up, however, the audio went in and out from sounding good to sounding digitally distorted (like a digital delay on 100ms).

BTW: "Fox Widescreen: High resolution digital television" give me a break!! Can someone clue in the network that 480p is STANDARD resolution? :p

Jon / Portland, OR
"Leading the way in expensive expenditures!!"
post #9 of 50 Old 03-11-2002, 11:57 AM

I had a lot of problems with breakups during X-Files last night. I'm also using a Dish 6000.
post #10 of 50 Old 03-11-2002, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a 6000 and couldn't watch anything all weekend, everytime I tuned in I had good strength (70+) but lots of jumping, freezing and audio crackups.

In case you guys forgot, please use the following email for KPDX reception issues and feedback:

dtvtest@kpdx.com

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
post #11 of 50 Old 03-11-2002, 12:17 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Sounds like maybe a 6000 issue then?

ron
post #12 of 50 Old 03-11-2002, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

It's still jumpy tonight, Monday.

post #13 of 50 Old 03-12-2002, 08:20 AM

I might as well use this topic to introduce myself to the forum.

I live out in Hillsboro, OR and have been having similar problems with Fox-49 since Saturday. I'm using the Samsung SIR-T150 with the RS double Bowtie, and up to this point have had absolutely no problems with the signal from Fox (other than the overly discussed disappointment of the 480p format ;) ). As a matter of fact it's always been one of my strongest signals. Over the past few days the signal has been as strong as always but it has been completely unwatchable. It's jumpy and constantly breaking up. Hope they can get this fixed as I do enjoy the widescreen format on many of my favorite Fox shows (Bernie Mac :cool: being my current fav).

Scott

Scott
post #14 of 50 Old 03-12-2002, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the forum, Scott. I'm glad to hear it's not a 6000 issue.

post #15 of 50 Old 03-12-2002, 09:08 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

This is interesting. Like I said before, I watched the entire Sunday night primetime lineup and it was perfect for me. I didn't even notice any strange audio issues like sokolina mentioned. I flipped by and caught a few minutes of Boston Public last night and it seemed fine as well. Anybody hear anything from Ed?

ron
post #16 of 50 Old 03-13-2002, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Ed, the picture was perfect last night, just in time for 24. And the signal strength was 85%, I have never received KPDX at this strength.

post #17 of 50 Old 03-13-2002, 08:54 AM

I didn't get any breakups last night here in east Vancouver!
post #18 of 50 Old 03-13-2002, 08:55 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Yes, 24 was perfect last night. I'm glad to hear it cleaned up for you. I am still wondering however, why some were having probs before and others weren't? Perhaps they were doing some more experimenting with different signal configuration and some receivers are better able to deal with it?

ron
post #19 of 50 Old 04-02-2002, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

:) Well, things were going well there for awhile…

I'm currently watching Andy Richter Controls the Universe, and once again, it's extremely jumpy and - to add insult to injury - 4:3 as opposed to "Fox Widescreen â„¢." It was just fine on Sunday night throughout the Simpsons and the X-Files (I missed Greg the Bunny), and... well, Monday offers me nothing in the way of programming, so I've no idea precisely when this began, but this is the first I've noticed it.

Thanks Meredith, for being the typical corporation concerned only with the bottom line, keeping their stock price high and their equipment budget vastly underfunded. We really appreciate it.

-Moorebid

-----

Edit: Well, that's weird… without a space between "Fox Widescreen" and " ™", the ™ appears on top of the last "n." *shrug*

-----

Second edit: OK, "Fox Widescreen â„¢" is now in effect, but the breakups are still present.

Wow… boobs…
post #20 of 50 Old 04-02-2002, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Bummer, I have never missed 24 but tonight it is unwatchable. Too jumpy. Help, ED!!

post #21 of 50 Old 04-03-2002, 09:08 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Well, I switched on the set just at 9:00 for 24 and everything looked fine. As the show progressed every once in a while I would notice a very quick kind of a flash or streak across the screen down toward the bottom. Like a single "jump" maybe but just one, nothing continuous. For me it was very minor though and I was thinking that the PQ was about as good as it's ever been too. There seemed to be a little less graininess than the usual Faux Widescreen. I also noticed that the sound volume seemed to fluctuate throughout the show too and it seemed like it may have coincided somewhat with the jumps. I am pretty close to the tower as it's right up on the Skyline ridge and I'm just down below at the bottom of the West Slope/Canyon Road area. Using the Mits box. X-Files seemed fine on Sunday although those retread story lines have really pretty much run out of gas at this point :(.

ron
post #22 of 50 Old 04-04-2002, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Here it is Thursday night and Fox is still jumpy. I've reset my 6000 just in case it was the culprit as OPB has been doing the same thing. I was really bumbed on Shape of Life the other night, I couldn't watch it more than a few seconds without breakup. No other locals are exhibiting this behavior, just Fox and OPB.

I'll have to send Ed an email and find out what's up.

post #23 of 50 Old 04-05-2002, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by R11
Well, I switched on the set just at 9:00 for 24 and everything looked fine. As the show progressed every once in a while I would notice a very quick kind of a flash or streak across the screen down toward the bottom. Like a single "jump" maybe but just one, nothing continuous. For me it was very minor though and I was thinking that the PQ was about as good as it's ever been too. There seemed to be a little less graininess than the usual Faux Widescreen. I also noticed that the sound volume seemed to fluctuate throughout the show too and it seemed like it may have coincided somewhat with the jumps. I am pretty close to the tower as it's right up on the Skyline ridge and I'm just down below at the bottom of the West Slope/Canyon Road area. Using the Mits box. X-Files seemed fine on Sunday although those retread story lines have really pretty much run out of gas at this point :(.
Were we watching the same show? Because it most certainly was not fine on Tuesday night. I too noticed the audio level fluctuating, but it just so happened to coincide with the switching between 4:3 and 16:9 feeds, which they did several times throughout the first half of the show. That may be the "flash or streak across the screen down toward the bottom" of which you speak… it should have been fairly obvious with the "FOX" logo jumping back and forth in the bottom-right corner of the frame, not to mention the loss of picture to the left and right.

I'm about 10 miles from the towers, half-way between Milwaukie and Gladstone, and my signal strength is a steady 80% at virtually all times with KPDX. I too had no problems Sunday night, but as of Tuesday, it's been nothing but problems. I'm watching Dark Angel now, and it's the same stuff I saw through Family Guy and Greg the Bunny last night, same stuff on Tuesday.

Apparantly, it's just Dish 6000's - possibly Samsung SIR-T150's as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad
Here it is Thursday night and Fox is still jumpy. I've reset my 6000 just in case it was the culprit as OPB has been doing the same thing. I was really bumbed on Shape of Life the other night, I couldn't watch it more than a few seconds without breakup. No other locals are exhibiting this behavior, just Fox and OPB.
I too reset my 6000, several times, to no avail. However, I've not noticed the OPB problem, but I don't watch it that much… I tuned in this evening during Dark Angel, and it appeared to be smooth w/70% steady.

Perhaps they've fixed it by now,
-Moorebid

-----

Edit: "…most was certainly…?!" Uhh, yeah, fixed that.
post #24 of 50 Old 04-07-2002, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

…and little has changed. Both Malcolm in the Middle and the X-Files were as jumpy as ever. This has become tiresome. Surely, a defect such as this must be covered under some kind of warranty.

*shrug*
-Moorebid
post #25 of 50 Old 04-08-2002, 08:52 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Moorebid,

I think you must be having some equipment difficulties because I watched Simpsons/Malcolm/X-Files last night and everything was fine for me. Didn't even notice any sound volume changes. And for me last Tues with 24 the whole show was definitely widescreen. Good luck.

ron
post #26 of 50 Old 04-08-2002, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Somewhat off topic, but I stopped watching Malcolm on the digital side when I found that frequently the picture was WORSE than the analog. In those instances, the digital version was more "zoomed in" than the analog and looked blurry.
post #27 of 50 Old 04-08-2002, 11:54 AM

I noticed problems last night when I tried watching X-Files. I also have a E6000 and my signal strength was at 77-78%. The "stuttering" and break ups where pretty constant.

I don't think it would be a warranty issue with with the 6000. It seems like somehow the 6000 is having trouble with the signal from KPDX alone. My PBS comes in just fine at 65-70% and I don't have the same problems. All the other channels work just fine.
post #28 of 50 Old 04-08-2002, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Karl Englebright
I noticed problems last night when I tried watching X-Files. I also have a E6000 and my signal strength was at 77-78%. The "stuttering" and break ups where pretty constant.

I don't think it would be a warranty issue with with the 6000. It seems like somehow the 6000 is having trouble with the signal from KPDX alone. My PBS comes in just fine at 65-70% and I don't have the same problems. All the other channels work just fine.
I have precisely the same situation. This has already been confirmed to be an issue with KPDX's encoder; we know there's nothing physically wrong with our units, but it does only seem to affect select units - thus far, only Dish 6000's and at least one Samsung SIR-T150 confirmed.

Quote:
Originally posted by R11
Moorebid,

I think you must be having some equipment difficulties…
Regarding the stuttering, that very well may be. In fact, when I first posted this thread close to two months ago, that was my initial worry.

To rule out any potential buffering problems within the box (into which the 6000's have been known to run on occasion), every time I manually reset it by holding the power button on the box for 10 seconds, then releasing; that has resolved the issue only once, and at that time, all OTA channels had been affected. However, that is not the case here. Look over the numerous other posts in this thread… I am most certainly not alone in this.

Quote:
…because I watched Simpsons/Malcolm/X-Files last night and everything was fine for me. Didn't even notice any sound volume changes. And for me last Tues with 24 the whole show was definitely widescreen.
The sound volume changes only occured when they switched between 4:3 and 16:9 feeds; the levels were/are higher on the 4:3 feed than they are/were on the 16:9 feed. That was confirmed during 24, as they did switch several times, from 16:9 to 4:3 and back again. On one occasion, they cut back and forth at least 6 times in the span of about 10-15 seconds; if one were not watching carefully, one could easily miss that.

The whole evening started out in 4:3 mode, with the first 15-20 minutes of Andy Richter Controls the Universe in 4:3, the "FOX" bug planted firmly within the 4:3 frame. Only after the commercial break half-way through the episode did they switch to the 16:9 feed.

My equipment cannot alter the placement of the bug, nor the aspect ratio of the broadcast; this was clearly KPDX's problem.

-Moorebid
post #29 of 50 Old 04-08-2002, 03:04 PM

It's funny, but Fox is the only channel I CAN'T get on my antenna. Maybe it's all my nay saying about their theories on HDTV.
post #30 of 50 Old 04-08-2002, 03:34 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, maybe we were watching a different show then ;). I watch 24 pretty religiously and only get up during commercials and don't recall seeing any switches to 4:3 :confused:. Like I said before though, I did notice several "flashes" across the screen that were very quick and with my mits receiver looked like an instantaneous bar across the screen about 2/3 of the way down. Nothing that lingered on the screen though and no 4:3 images (except the commercials of course). I'm not sure how your 6000s operate but maybe they are somehow loosing the lock on the (faux)HD signal and are briefly switching over to SD mode or something? Man, I'm glad I have the Mits box. I've never had to reset it or any thing even once in the almost six months I've had it now.

ron
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page