Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 990 Old 06-17-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

I will look into your iPhone questions....

thank you so very much can wait till june 30th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 990 Old 06-20-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomputerguy View Post

Ph8te or EWJ_COXNE
will anyone with a Iphone be able to watch Epix or Vutopia when its rolled out for on-line viewing? I am looking into the Iphone call me crazy but the Iphone rocks also can Rhapsody Iphone subscription be added to the cable bill or will I have to start up one outside of cox cable services?
thanks
stephen
ps any plans for a Iphone aplication for remote DVR or is there anyway to remote record from the Iphone
thanks again

I think they use the same system Hulu does. So if you want watch hulu on your ipone, you will be able to watch Epix or Vutopia. As for Rhapsody, thats a seperate charge. Well you get the free version automatically, but thats very limited and I wouldnt touch Realplayer with a 10 foot pole.

As for App, good question. No idea
post #363 of 990 Old 06-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Quick question - has COX ever carried the Boston affiliates in Rhode Island? Sure, RI is in the Providence DMA, and I'm almost certain Boston news is of near no-interest to RI residents, but I was skimming through the FCC's significantly viewed list, and each county across RI, with the exception of Washington County, has a few Boston affiliates on their list:

RHODE ISLAND
Bristol
WLNE-TV, 6, Providence, RI (formerly WTEV)
WJAR, 10, Providence, RI
WPRI-TV, 12, Providence, RI
WNAC-TV, 64, Providence, RI
WBZ-TV, 4, Boston, MA
+WHDH-TV, 7, Boston, MA (formerly WNAC)
WSBK-TV, 38, Boston, MA

Kent
WJAR, 10, Providence, RI
WCVB-TV, 5, Boston, MA (formerly WHDH)
WSBK-TV, 38, Boston, MA

Newport
WJAR, 10, Providence, RI
WSBK-TV, 38, Boston, MA
WLVI-TV, 56, Cambridge, MA (formerly WKBG)

Providence
WJAR, 10, Providence, RI
WBZ-TV, 4, Boston, MA
WCVB-TV, 5, Boston, MA (formerly WHDH)
WSBK-TV, 38, Boston, MA
WLVI-TV, 56, Cambridge, MA (formerly WKBG)

If Cox wanted to, they could carry these stations in the specific counties without any beef from Providence, but I find it interesting Boston TV was ever "signficantly viewed" across RI. Even Providence County has the complete set of Boston affiliates.
post #364 of 990 Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

I went with a T mobile mytouch instead better plan and free phone the AT&T limited internet and paying about the same expencive yes but worth it
as am going to be outy alot due to a mothers heart operation and back and forth to hospitals and her phone can use the internet with the laptop not internet
at mom's home. tryed the dvr remote will need to try it again but i think it worked iphone to damn expensive as the mytouch you can expand with sim cards now
very happy i went with the mytouch hope one day cox has it thenm will more then luckly go with cox cell phone plan
post #365 of 990 Old 06-21-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Yes they did 783 Fox Soccer HD if you like that sort of stuff
783 FXSOC HD it took me a bit to find as well lots of soccer I would
guess

Kudos to Cox. They certainly beat Fios to the punch on this one!
post #366 of 990 Old 06-23-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkbyKO View Post

Kudos to Cox. They certainly beat Fios to the punch on this one!

And after watching the game this morning, I'm glad I was able to catch some highlights and analysis on FSC, because I have completely jumped on the bandwagon and needed to see that goal a few more times.
post #367 of 990 Old 06-23-2010, 01:22 PM

As you've seen mentioned on here, the 'Movie Pak' is launching on June 30. This includes seven Encore channels and Epix. It also includes the significant On DEMAND libraries from Epix and Vutopia, which have a substantial amount of HD movies available. Best of all, it features the online components of Epix and Vutopia, where you can stream hundreds of movies and watch with friends.

And it's $10 a month (must have Digital, though I think most of you do). If you already subscribe to Epix and want to get the Movie Pak, just call us and we'll take care of it for you.
post #368 of 990 Old 06-24-2010, 04:48 AM

Anyone know the official Cox RI position on using HDMI repeaters? I have a basement setup where I would like to send the same signal to 3 different TV's simultaneously. I would prefer not to use 3 different cable tuners.

- Just doing my part to stimulate the economy!

Tipping Rock Theater
post #369 of 990 Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:

As you've seen mentioned on here, the 'Movie Pak' is launching on June 30. This includes seven Encore channels and Epix. It also includes the significant On DEMAND libraries from Epix and Vutopia, which have a substantial amount of HD movies available. Best of all, it features the online components of Epix and Vutopia, where you can stream hundreds of movies and watch with friends.

And it's $10 a month (must have Digital, though I think most of you do). If you already subscribe to Epix and want to get the Movie Pak, just call us and we'll take care of it for you.

This would probably lead into another question, since the Movie Pak was mentioned with the "Advanced TV".....Will this date (or there abouts) also be the launch of ATV and the new boxes? Probably not, but a small island person cna hope cant they LOL!!!!.....

Thank you again for all the information you have provided to our little section of this forum it is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: OK looks like Caox has launched Advanced TV in RI as the information and pricing is up on the website.......I guess all that is left is the new box(es) for the service......Guess I should ahve gone to the website 1st lol.....
post #370 of 990 Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incident View Post

Anyone know the official Cox RI position on using HDMI repeaters? I have a basement setup where I would like to send the same signal to 3 different TV's simultaneously. I would prefer not to use 3 different cable tuners.

If you set it up yourself then you are responsible for any signal loss\\interruption....You can if you want, but for the maximum experience I think Cox wold want you to have 3 different boxes. If you run into issues with the two tvs that are not installed officially by Cox do not expect help if issues occur (and to be charged if you have someone come out to troubleshoot)....

I am not a Cox official\\worker so I do not represent the official stance, but I can guess what they would say to you ..........
post #371 of 990 Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incident View Post

As long as your not decrypting the signal or anything like that, what you do in your house is your business. 3 signals at the same time? How you getting past HDCP? Not to mention your need a repeater every 30-50 feet. If your going to go that route, wire for Ethernet, and have a central PVR with three tuners. Unlimted harddrive space, HD picture, and multiple ways to pull in guide data. Upfront cost would be more, but you would probably make it back in a year or so.
post #372 of 990 Old 06-25-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

EDIT: OK looks like Caox has launched Advanced TV in RI as the information and pricing is up on the website.......I guess all that is left is the new box(es) for the service......Guess I should ahve gone to the website 1st lol.....

Wait... I thought Advanced TV was *about* the new Trio guide and DVR. Does this mean those are out...?
post #373 of 990 Old 06-26-2010, 12:32 AM

Advanced TV is just rose by a different name. Same thing. Its like the "Tall" coffee at Starbucks. Thats what it was called when I lived in CA. Had to get used to my bill over here.
post #374 of 990 Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemgold View Post

Wait... I thought Advanced TV was *about* the new Trio guide and DVR. Does this mean those are out...?

Advanced TV is the name of the new TV packages that Cox is offering. It is part of the roll out of the "new" guides, dvrs, channels. I beleive you could call it the "1st step"........Advanced TV early on was often tied to the new guide and equipment, but it appears that Cox is calling the new guide\\equipment "Cox Plus" or something like that. We should be seeing that later this summer\\year.

Also, the the new packages it offers you select packages to choose from (if you never watch sports you dont have to get those channels)....O me at leaast there is a little savings, but not much for the Ultimate (we watch a little bit of everything)....When the Movie Pak goes live I think that along with the S&I Pak, and Variety Pak may be the best selection for this house (within the Ultimate ). I am still going to hold off until the new equipment comes out though. Remember some of the newer channels coming out in the future (ie HD) will only be available via the new equipment......

For those that want to know more here is the link

Basic Information:
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/rhode...dvanced-tv.cox

Pricing:
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/rhode...tv/pricing.cox
post #375 of 990 Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Advanced TV is the name of the new TV packages that Cox is offering. It is part of the roll out of the "new" guides, dvrs, channels. I beleive you could call it the "1st step"........Advanced TV early on was often tied to the new guide and equipment, but it appears that Cox is calling the new guide\\equipment "Cox Plus" or something like that. We should be seeing that later this summer\\year.

Also, the the new packages it offers you select packages to choose from (if you never watch sports you dont have to get those channels)....O me at leaast there is a little savings, but not much for the Ultimate (we watch a little bit of everything)....When the Movie Pak goes live I think that along with the S&I Pak, and Variety Pak may be the best selection for this house (within the Ultimate ). I am still going to hold off until the new equipment comes out though. Remember some of the newer channels coming out in the future (ie HD) will only be available via the new equipment......

For those that want to know more here is the link

Basic Information:
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/rhode...dvanced-tv.cox

Pricing:
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/rhode...tv/pricing.cox

really hope its this summer love love love the on-line viewing hope they come out with more channels to view on-line
post #376 of 990 Old 07-01-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:

really hope its this summer love love love the on-line viewing hope they come out with more channels to view on-line

I agree. I hope Cox can see that this is a bigger feather in their cap then I think they realize. Epix is a winner. Bravo
post #377 of 990 Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For the most part its up to the channels to have the online viewing, not Cox......Most channels these days offer some type of on demand type viewing (channels site, Hulu, ect, ect).....EPIX is from three studio partners, it jsut happens to offer on line viewing....Vutopia is part of the InDemand offerings.....Neither is technically Cox putting it out for you its the individual companies doing it. If channels start to offer "premium" online viewing you may see Cox offer this for a fee, but most likely the stations\\companies would just cut Cox out of the loop so they could get the most revenue.

While Cable providers may look to have remote viewing available, I dont think theyll take the lead on Online channel offerings. This is due not only to the cost of the rights of the shows, but also the bandwidth needed to support this.
post #378 of 990 Old 07-01-2010, 03:05 PM

It's likely that more programmers will start exploring the online streaming avenues available to them. We'll continue to try to add as much value as possible to our existing video product.
post #379 of 990 Old 07-02-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's likely that more programmers will start exploring the online streaming avenues available to them. We'll continue to try to add as much value as possible to our existing video product.

so how did comcast get the on-line viewing was it the channels or is it because comcast is so big and did it themself or did comcast team up with the tv studioes
post #380 of 990 Old 07-02-2010, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

so how did comcast get the on-line viewing was it the channels or is it because comcast is so big and did it themself or did comcast team up with the tv studioes

Comcast for the most part paid for it......For channels that dont get add support dollars get paid by Comcast to air the shows, others will probably get paid AND get add revenue....

Also remember that Comcast hasnt decided on a price and from waht I can see is still missing a "few" things from the premiums they offer "online".......While it is free now, Comcast has done this in the past (in the beginning free, price decision later). Comcast is the owner of more than a few channels so they dont need to do much to get those channels online.

For me Id I can see the benifit of having something from your cable provider, but with companies such as netflix and Hulu already hitting the ground running, it may be better jsut to team with them and integrate those services into a "premium" add on. IMO I think Cox is doing the right thing as most likely theyd just get pushed to the side for the other offerings. Unless they were able to come up with an offering that could match or beat Hulu, then I think its better to stick with the TV, rrather than on line streaming....
post #381 of 990 Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:

For me Id I can see the benifit of having something from your cable provider, but with companies such as netflix and Hulu already hitting the ground running, it may be better jsut to team with them and integrate those services into a "premium" add on. IMO I think Cox is doing the right thing as most likely theyd just get pushed to the side for the other offerings. Unless they were able to come up with an offering that could match or beat Hulu, then I think its better to stick with the TV, rrather than on line streaming....

I disagree. Cable operators, like other media outlets need to look beyond RF. COX could have a very sweet deal setup where if you subscribe to a "bundle" or some other package, they could offer the service at a very discounted rate. With the amount of people accessing information on the road, it would be nice to have a premium account I could watch mobile, that is tied in with my subscription. And COX could control all the advertising on it, so it's win-win for them.

I still would like to see TWC HD and MyRI HD on the lineup, but requesting it here doesn't help. It's better to call the main number and request those.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #382 of 990 Old 07-03-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Comcast for the most part paid for it......For channels that dont get add support dollars get paid by Comcast to air the shows, others will probably get paid AND get add revenue....

Also remember that Comcast hasnt decided on a price and from waht I can see is still missing a "few" things from the premiums they offer "online".......While it is free now, Comcast has done this in the past (in the beginning free, price decision later). Comcast is the owner of more than a few channels so they dont need to do much to get those channels online.

I agee with streaming is still not as good as TV yet but lets just hope cox can keep epix and Vutopia on-line viewing free or if not a fee thats not though the roof
post #383 of 990 Old 07-03-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agee with streaming is still not as good as TV yet but lets just hope cox can keep epix and Vutopia on-line viewing free or if not a fee thats not though the roof

EPIX isnt free you get the online service are part of the package (EPIC, EPIC On Demand, EPIX Online).....Vutopia is also part of another package.....If it were "fre" then it would be included at no extra charge into your normal cable service, which still wouldnt be free as the cost of the channel is "built in" somewhere...
post #384 of 990 Old 07-03-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1KNE View Post

I disagree. Cable operators, like other media outlets need to look beyond RF. COX could have a very sweet deal setup where if you subscribe to a "bundle" or some other package, they could offer the service at a very discounted rate. With the amount of people accessing information on the road, it would be nice to have a premium account I could watch mobile, that is tied in with my subscription. And COX could control all the advertising on it, so it's win-win for them.

I still would like to see TWC HD and MyRI HD on the lineup, but requesting it here doesn't help. It's better to call the main number and request those.

I should have said "right now"...Untill the dust settles and we see the draw of premium Hulu, Cox should wait and develop something in case it does take off. If it doesnt take off then there is a little loss, but they dont have to officially launch anything.....

As I said I can see why able Cos would offer online viewing (ad revenue, ect) but right now (as far as I know) the pay model of online viewing is still unproven.....From what I know the Comcast offering is still hit or miss...Also, Cox may look at it as a "duplicate service" as many channels these days offer full online viewing from thier direct site. Its also going to be hard to compete with Hulu who already has the deals in place and people are very happy with the quality and offerings they get.....

What I do see is possibly an implementaion of remote viewing of your DVR ala slingbox. I can see a bigger move to this first rather than online streaming of individual shows where Cox hosts the data.

I also remember the RHode Island market when I worked for Cox, this has to be one of the slowest adopting markets. People here really and I do mean REALLy like to cling to old technology. While we do have a contingent of those that are more advanced most of the time our group is still too small to make a difference.

Right now, lets take baby steps ...Whole home DVR is next up with the "Cox Plus" package. This will allow for more HD channels and to expand the serviecs available....Once that is done well move to the next thing....
post #385 of 990 Old 07-04-2010, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

EPIX isnt free you get the online service are part of the package (EPIC, EPIC On Demand, EPIX Online).....Vutopia is also part of another package.....If it were "fre" then it would be included at no extra charge into your normal cable service, which still wouldnt be free as the cost of the channel is "built in" somewhere...

your right did not explain myself so good some cable tv co. charge 6.99 extra for ondemand HBO ect am hoping the movie pack never goes that way were you have to pay extra. I was going to movie out of RI at one point and the cable tv co was not cox they wanted 6.99 extra to view HBO Cinamax starz ect thats what i ment sorry "I also remember the RHode Island market when I worked for Cox, this has to be one of the slowest adopting markets. People here really and I do mean REALLy like to cling to old technology. While we do have a contingent of those that are more advanced most of the time our group is still too small to make a difference." your right on that RI people seem take change very badly like when cox movied speed channel to digital and also droped the movie channels from the expanded service to digital I heard the phones rang off the wall people screaming why do i need digital to get movie channels
post #386 of 990 Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM

As you can see from all the ideas/suggestions/thoughts from the last few posts, there are a lot of different ways for Cox in Atlanta to "mature" the video product. We (on this forum) all have our own opinions as to how to go about that.
post #387 of 990 Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

This is a link to the new DVR specs EJW_CoxNE listed the link on the CT COX thread
EJW_CoxNE will it be the same box I read in a cox relesss about the new DVR service coming soon it be the same box
sorry if am steping on your feet for posting the link but I saw the box and just fell in love with it what a awsome box it should be 500 gb there should be more then enough room on the box

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...13/7017062.pdf
post #388 of 990 Old 07-07-2010, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

in the specs it read Personal media player enables display of photos and playback of video and audio fromstandards-based home network connected devices (optional software) will we see this
post #389 of 990 Old 07-07-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

i know verizon has it in one form or another that be great if you could display home photo's as not all tv's can read from a digital camera mine i can hook up my digital camera to my tv but most as i can tell you can not that be great to be able to do that sorry to get off topic but thats what the new dvr can do
post #390 of 990 Old 07-07-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If Cox wanted to, they could carry these stations in the specific counties without any beef from Providence, but I find it interesting Boston TV was ever "signficantly viewed" across RI. Even Providence County has the complete set of Boston affiliates.

Cox used to carry all, or at least the majority of, those stations. Early on they had all the ABC/NBC/CBS stations from both markets. I think you are wrong about there not being "any beef" in terms of their carriage -- I have it on good authority that pressure from local RI stations like WJAR, WPRI, etc. were the reason for their removal on Cox years ago. They didn't want the competition and Cox agreed to go along with them.

In terms of interest, I think a lot of Rhode Islanders have watched Boston channels, and I disagree strongly that there isn't a very high interest in Boston news in RI (doesn't Cox still pick up a token Boston newscast at 10pm on Cox 3?). We're not that far from Boston, many Rhode Islanders work in Mass., their market is bigger, their news coverage is, obviously, a lot better than any of the Providence affiliates, which goes without saying because it's a much larger market. Growing up I'd watch Channel 4, etc. all the time -- and nowadays their coverage isn't even comparable with the joke local Providence news has become. Coverage areas also overlap at times with the Cape and the Islands, who often watch RI news because our weather is more accurate for their area than the Boston channels usually give (at least that's what a group of friends of mine on the Vineyard have always told me, lol).

These days I'm glad I have an antenna because some of the Providence stations are severely lacking in terms of picture/sound, and most of the Boston channels are easily available for those with OTA capabilities. WCVB in Boston's picture quality is so much better than WLNE in HD that the latter nearly looks like standard-def by comparison -- the sound is inferior, the picture lacks detail. WLNE has a long way to go to reach the standards of WCVB, or even WJAR or WPRI in terms of their HD broadcasting of network feeds. It's really poor and this market deserves better.

I don't understand why Cox doesn't bring back some of the local Boston stations -- this is one of the only areas in the country that's so "regimented" in terms of only showing one selection of network affiliates. Cross the border into Mass. and you can often get both Boston and Providence channels, depending on the carrier. Go into Connecticut and you can get a mix as well. But here, it's like the world is segregated at the border, which is absurd because of Boston's close proximity. It's just a shame because we're left with stations like WLNE with their obviously low-standards of picture and sound quality. And if you don't believe me, just watch WCVB some time when ABC programming is on, flip back and forth and tell me if you don't see a striking difference.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page