post #451 of 990 Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Harry View Post

I highly doubt that you will be able to install them yourselves. You couldn't with HD only boxes when they were first released, and cable cards still require professional installs. Also, with other providers, aren't special filters needed too? Don't get me wrong, I would love if I could just pick up some new boxes at one of the stores, but I don't think thats going to happen.

Ive upgraded my Hd Boxes to HDDVRs by just going into the local office and exchanging the equipment. This should be the same thing as it would be just a box for a box. IF you dont currently have a box then yes you'll need a truck rollout. again, I am only going by my past experience with box exchanges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 990 Old 08-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cox to offer retail TiVo Premiere DVRs next year, first with cable VOD & Amazon, Netflix access

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/12/c...irst-with-cab/

COX COMMUNICATIONS TO PROMOTE TIVO PREMIERE WITH COX VOD SERVICE TO ITS SUBSCRIBERS

Cox Plans to Promote TiVo Premiere, Offer the TiVo Solution Through its Call Centers, and Provide Free Installation

First-Ever Integration of Cox On DEMAND service in a Retail Device to Provide A Full Service Cable Solution Along with Broadband Content

ALVISO, CA and ATLANTA, GA - August 12, 2010 - TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), a leader in advanced television services including digital video recorders (DVRs) for consumers, content distributors and consumer electronics manufacturers and Cox Communications, the third-largest U.S. cable television company, today announced that they have entered into an agreement whereby the two companies will offer TiVo Premiere with integrated Cox On DEMAND service to Cox subscribers. This represents the first time that a cable operator will make its entire video on demand (VOD) library available via a retail DVR and TiVo Premiere will become the first retail product to fully integrate a cable VOD service, along with linear television and broadband content accessible through TiVo's user interface and intuitive search capabilities.

As part of the agreement, Cox will promote TiVo Premiere to its subscribers, support TiVo Premiere as an optional set-top, and provide free installation for TiVo Premiere boxes purchased by subscribers at Best Buy and other retail and online outlets including TiVo's own website. Customers will need a CableCARD for access to Cox services. Cox will promote TiVo Premiere via its website, cross-channel advertising, and via direct marketing to its video and high-speed internet subscribers.

"We recognize that consumers are attracted to a growing range of devices that enable them to access broadband content and interactive capabilities," said Pat Esser, President of Cox Communications. "With TiVo Premiere, Cox is providing consumers even more choice. Our subscribers will not only have access to TiVo's user experience but Cox's robust Advanced TV offering including On DEMAND service."
post #453 of 990 Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Ive upgraded my Hd Boxes to HDDVRs by just going into the local office and exchanging the equipment. This should be the same thing as it would be just a box for a box. IF you dont currently have a box then yes you'll need a truck rollout. again, I am only going by my past experience with box exchanges.

I bet you 10 cool points its Proffesional Install only?

At least its Professional for every other carrier that offers whole house DVR. Its alot more complex then a DVR because not only do the boxes need have to have a good connection to Cox, but they need a good connection between each other. IMHO
post #454 of 990 Old 08-14-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bet you 10 cool points its Proffesional Install only?

At least its Professional for every other carrier that offers whole house DVR. Its alot more complex then a DVR because not only do the boxes need have to have a good connection to Cox, but they need a good connection between each other. IMHO

Ill raise you 1000 internets but I do see where you are coming from. If they do require Professional Installation we may see some type of installation deal to help get the boxes out and promote the Cox Plus service.
post #455 of 990 Old 08-19-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

next week multi room is coming out
any news on this yet?
post #456 of 990 Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 PM

First of all, yes, the Plus Pak (which includes Whole Home DVR) will require a professional installation. Secondly, the package will be available after we receive a specific software update for it.

For those of you that are interested, I would recommend calling in to inquire about the product, as it will not be marketed to the general public yet.

I do believe there will be a delay, though. The software updated is not scheduled to drop next week.
post #457 of 990 Old 08-20-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

First of all, yes, the Plus Pak (which includes Whole Home DVR) will require a professional installation. Secondly, the package will be available after we receive a specific software update for it.

For those of you that are interested, I would recommend calling in to inquire about the product, as it will not be marketed to the general public yet.

I do believe there will be a delay, though. The software updated is not scheduled to drop next week.

HAH! 10 Cool points for me. Heh. Thanks EJW.
post #458 of 990 Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM

Not to ask a stupid and probably over-asked question here, but is there a way to pull stored shows off of the DCH3416, without hooking a recorder up to the output of it?

(Via fire-wire or something?)

Honestly, this is a field I know little about, because I know little about my DCH3416, except for the fact one of the drives are failing in it.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #459 of 990 Old 08-21-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

I called no one know nothing no idea how long or when EJW_COXNE I understand delays but if you get some new info on multi room please let me know thank you . I did call to inquire about the product no one had no info on it
would you please inquire for me
post #460 of 990 Old 08-21-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1KNE View Post

Not to ask a stupid and probably over-asked question here, but is there a way to pull stored shows off of the DCH3416, without hooking a recorder up to the output of it?

(Via fire-wire or something?)

Honestly, this is a field I know little about, because I know little about my DCH3416, except for the fact one of the drives are failing in it.

no there is no except for TIVO which I am thinking about down the road as soon as ondemand is work able cox just teamed up with TIVO for that and yes thank god cox is the first for this
post #461 of 990 Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 PM

this might not be the right forum to ask but i know there are people here that work for cox ..i like to know why cox doesn't have the nfl red zone channel its of course on every other system but as always not cox..any chance we get this for the upcoming football season???
post #462 of 990 Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

sorry for the rent but again wholehouse DVR delayed again. Yet it was stated about or around the 25th of aug http://www.dpuc.state.ct.us/DPUCUndo...iew&ExpandView
I really tired of cox at times whats the delay for now? you been saying multi room coming for years now. is it coming this year or not? am not a football fan at all but were is the Red zone channel for football fans? is there more HD coming? I understand it may be a software issue if it is how long till the releass I called no time frame at this time WOW. When is cox going to support TIVO with on demamd let me know am sure we have a better change at that. I figued out if cox does not releass the whole room dvr i'll go with TIVO PREMERE 160 gb DVR to small. whats funny is with tivo you can burn the tv shows to dvd with cox you can not. Anyone know why that is. As soon as cox does more support with the TIVO andf on demand IMO thats the way to go. THE TIVO WAY sorry Cox dvr is awsome but nothing can ever beat tivo with netfliks utube ect
post #463 of 990 Old 08-24-2010, 02:47 PM

here is a link about Red Zone might be coming 2 Cox
http://hd.engadget.com/2010/08/21/nf...e-cable-compa/
post #464 of 990 Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqAttaq View Post

why do i have a feeling i shouldn't hold my breath for it
post #465 of 990 Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxi View Post

why do i have a feeling i shouldn't hold my breath for it

from what i hear we are $40.00 a season
post #466 of 990 Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqAttaq View Post

BTW folks this is official and being rolled out. You will need to subscribe to the Sports and Information Teir AND pay ~$40 a month for RedZone. You can see more updates in the main Cox thread in the HDTV Programming thread.
post #467 of 990 Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 AM

i thought the red zone channel was free(wow i guess not) ..oh well im not doling out 40 bucks for it..i use to have directv and you use to be able to call them up and they would work your bill in a way that made the whole nfl package free i think the last year i did it you had to commit to staying with them for 6 months..went back to cox just because at the time they had a cheaper bundle package which included the high speed internet
post #468 of 990 Old 08-26-2010, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxi View Post

i thought the red zone channel was free(wow i guess not) ..oh well im not doling out 40 bucks for it..i use to have directv and you use to be able to call them up and they would work your bill in a way that made the whole nfl package free i think the last year i did it you had to commit to staying with them for 6 months..went back to cox just because at the time they had a cheaper bundle package which included the high speed internet

Not sure what "deal" they gave you but The RedZone channel is far from free on DirectTV. In order to get it you need to subsribe to the Sunday Ticket package which is 199 per season. This $40 is a much better deal for those who only want that channel. This is a premium channel and wont be free anywhere.
post #469 of 990 Old 08-26-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Not sure what "deal" they gave you but The RedZone channel is far from free on DirectTV. In order to get it you need to subsribe to the Sunday Ticket package which is 199 per season. This $40 is a much better deal for those who only want that channel. This is a premium channel and wont be free anywhere.

no i use to get the whole nfl package free when i called customer service..they use to discount the service i already had for a few months and those saving for how many months it was paid off the nfl package(if that makes sense)..
post #470 of 990 Old 08-26-2010, 07:38 AM

Regardless of what they may or may not have done to try and save you as a customer (the NFL Sunday Ticket certainly isn't a free service by default), a service from the NFL (who is one of the most costly contracts to own out there) is not something any provider would give you for free. Part of the contract from the NFL also requires customers to have prerequisite services, such as NFL Sunday Ticket, or in Cox's case, the Sports & Info tier which includes their NFL Network.
post #471 of 990 Old 08-26-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGuy29 View Post

Regardless of what they may or may not have done to try and save you as a customer (the NFL Sunday Ticket certainly isn't a free service by default), a service from the NFL (who is one of the most costly contracts to own out there) is not something any provider would give you for free. Part of the contract from the NFL also requires customers to have prerequisite services, such as NFL Sunday Ticket, or in Cox's case, the Sports & Info tier which includes their NFL Network.

I think 40 dallers is very cheep even though am not a football fan thats 10 dallars a month for 4 or 5 month's. I wish I could have got the movie pack free as well but its not free and from what i read Red zone is a premium channel even on directTv from a friend of mine who installs directtv 40 dallers is cheep compared directtv ion which you have to pay for NFL Sunday ticket which he believes is 225.00 do not hold me to this price.
post #472 of 990 Old 08-26-2010, 01:54 PM

RedZone is going to be $39.99. It's not set up for sale yet, but it will be in the coming weeks (definitely before the season starts). And it's part of the Sports and Info Pak because you need to be an NFL Network subscriber in order to get it.

It will air on channel 785 in HD.
post #473 of 990 Old 08-26-2010, 02:00 PM

New info on Plus Pak (everything I know at this point, so apologies if some is a recap):

1) There will be a $5.00 monthly fee for Plus Pak (beyond the $9.99 for DVR service and box rental prices, which you're already paying anyway).
2) The DVR box has a 500GB DVR.
3) It has multi-room capability.
4) You will be able to attach external storage, but it is unsupported by Cox. So if something goes wrong with it, we can't help you.
5) There will be additional HD channels available (many will be premiums).
6) The launch was delayed as we wait for an important software update.

This is as up-to-date as possible. I will let you know if anything changes.
post #474 of 990 Old 08-26-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

New info on Plus Pak (everything I know at this point, so apologies if some is a recap):

1) There will be a $5.00 monthly fee for Plus Pak (beyond the $9.99 for DVR service and box rental prices, which you're already paying anyway).
2) The DVR box has a 500GB DVR.
3) It has multi-room capability.
4) You will be able to attach external storage, but it is unsupported by Cox. So if something goes wrong with it, we can't help you.
5) There will be additional HD channels available (many will be premiums).
6) The launch was delayed as we wait for an important software update.

This is as up-to-date as possible. I will let you know if anything changes.

Thanks for the update as soon as you ahve a date let us know, this is something Ill probably add to my account when it becomes available.
post #475 of 990 Old 08-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update as soon as you ahve a date let us know, this is something Ill probably add to my account when it becomes available.

Yes thank you and please do. I will be calling in the moment we find out it is available!
post #476 of 990 Old 08-26-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferdude2000 View Post

Yes thank you and please do. I will be calling in the moment we find out it is available!

Im so happy they made eSATA available(external storage). They could have yanked that and they didn't. For the people with higher end set ups, this is huge. Throw a 1.5TB on there and your golden. From how it was West Coast though, you can't move it from box to box. And if you do, it all gets lost. Still a plus though.
post #477 of 990 Old 08-27-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Im so happy they made eSATA available(external storage). They could have yanked that and they didn't. For the people with higher end set ups, this is huge. Throw a 1.5TB on there and your golden. From how it was West Coast though, you can't move it from box to box. And if you do, it all gets lost. Still a plus though.

Right. Copywrite protection will prevent you from attaching that external HD to a computer or another WH DVR. When you connect the drive, it will automatically be formatted to clear any existing data.
post #478 of 990 Old 08-27-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm so happy they made eSATA available(external storage). They could have yanked that and they didn't. For the people with higher end set ups, this is huge. Throw a 1.5TB on there and your golden. From how it was West Coast though, you can't move it from box to box. And if you do, it all gets lost. Still a plus though.

i agree a big plus i buy all my movies so copying really stupid the only thing i wish i could copy is TV shows like in the heat of the night from wonderful WGN America which is not no dvd or TCM when a movie not on dvd
post #479 of 990 Old 08-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:

That is true. No movement. But that's because (for many, many reasons) we can't have people taking their recorded programs via Ext. HD to someone else's home.
post #480 of 990 Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I should say the only bad thing is that it "only" has two tuners, so if your like my houehold and there is more than one person recoding things it makes it difficult. Many times both my fiancee and myself are recording different shows at the same time which would exceed the two tuner limit.

Do we know if we can use two 8642HDC can be used together? this way we wont interfere with each others recording but could watch programs from either TV.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page