Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 990 Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomputerguy View Post

has anyone tryed the Andriod appliction for remote record for cox dvr? its in the market place under cox dvr. works great give it a try

Doesn't work for me at all. Locks up on the License page after the install, and there's no way to make it go away.

Tried installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, both before and after the update and I have the same problem every time. I'm using an HTC EVO with FroYo on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 990 Old 10-30-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

now i can not use it. I got whole home DVR and it will not work with the whole home dvr
post #543 of 990 Old 10-31-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1KNE View Post

Your receive antenna is good for UHF only. Fox and CBS are transmitting digitally on VHF High Band.

Im trying to get fox and cbs from cox through the qam tuner, not using an antenna
post #544 of 990 Old 10-31-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous View Post

Im trying to get fox and cbs from cox through the qam tuner, not using an antenna

OK I will look into this tomorrow for you. What city are you in? The headend guys will want to know when I call them.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #545 of 990 Old 11-01-2010, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous View Post

Fox is 64-1 and CBS is 12-1. Might be an issue with your QAM tuner as there is no issues with the channels themselves. I am able to pick up both. Although on my TV I have to select 64-1 press channel up and it goes to 64-1 again, but locks onto the actual channel. You may want to try to rescan and see if they get picked up.
post #546 of 990 Old 11-01-2010, 04:46 PM

Everything is fine on our end, and what PH8TE said is right, we're showing up as 12.1 / 64.1 .

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

post #547 of 990 Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 AM

http://www.lightreading.com/document...treading_gnews

Should help answer a few questions about when/if Cox will be rolling out the Facebook/Twitter "widgets".

I personally could do without them. Focus time on other developments. There are so many other options to get these services, most of which sit right next to me in the same room as the TV.
post #548 of 990 Old 11-06-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGuy29 View Post

http://www.lightreading.com/document...treading_gnews

Should help answer a few questions about when/if Cox will be rolling out the Facebook/Twitter "widgets".

I personally could do without them. Focus time on other developments. There are so many other options to get these services, most of which sit right next to me in the same room as the TV.

Sorry, that article is longer then 140 characters, got distracted by something shiny. LOL

Seriously though, good read. Was wondering when Cox was going to jump on the bandwagon.
post #549 of 990 Old 11-07-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The following was posted from San Diego, CA back on Sept 02, 2010.

Will anyone with the Trio Guide please give some additional feedback.
  • Can you manage recordings from the client STB, the 1642HDC?
  • Can you schedule recordings from the client STB, the 1642HDC?
  • Can you add an eSATA External HDD?
  • Is Home Networking via DLNA available to access stored content?

(paragraphs added for readability)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [user=MainStreetSD View Post

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r247...d-Navigation-M

Hi Guys,
I don't normally hang out here but I too have been waiting for the Cox muti-room dvr and I finally got it here in north county san diego! I could not believe that I finally contacted someone in customer service that put me on the beta list. Bryan has been pleading for some information so I thought I would sign up here and give some initial feedback.

Installed equipment:
Cisco 8642hdc connected with hdmi and a 1642hdc connected via component. The hdmi image is awesome and I have no complaints. The hard drive on the 8642hdc in my rack is extremely quite, no complaints. I don't know if I would notice the disk in my bedroom.
1642hdc component connection seems to be fine, I don't know if all the ports are active but these boxes have every type of connection you could think of.

When watching the tech, he put it in diag mode by holding down on the power button for about 4 sec, power light flashes and then press power button again. I believe that there were 37 pages of system info showing connectivity status. These boxes have a lot of features that can be enabled if the cable provider chooses to do so.

The Trio interface is very nice at wide screen with customizable channels. Channel switching is slow so I'll be doing my channel surfing via the guide instead of flipping through channels.

Installation did take about two hours. The tech checked all connections from the street and though the house. I structured wired my house about 12 years ago so I didn't expect any problems. The tech also said that this was a "36 point" job for the two boxes and Cox allocates one hour for each 12 points, so in other words 3 hours. Don't complain, I commend Cox for allocating the time to their techs so the job can be done right. What takes so long is the hardware doing it's first sync, then firmware upgrade, then I think another sync. It is excruciating! It will be interesting to see if the new hardware corrects the audio dropouts and macro blocking. I should mention the limitations after observing for about 15 minutes.

1) for the 1642hdc to display what has been recorded, the recording must be complete on the 8642hdc.
2) 1642hdc can not control the 8642hdc but tech said it was being worked on.
3) caller-id is not functional at this time but is in the Trio menu. Tech mentioned that you may need to have Cox voice for it to work.
4) I am in beta testing so I can't complain to much. I did not sign an NDA so I guess I can talk about it.

And now I will tell you how you too can get on the beta program even though I didn't know it at the time. Are you ready for the secret? It has already been mentioned once on the other forum that no one else picked up on. Threaten to go to U-verse and somehow they will find out how to put you in the beta program. But to be fair to Cox, no whining! You will be a beta tester.

There you go Bryan. Gotta go. I'll check back in a week and give some updates.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #550 of 990 Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

The following was posted from San Diego, CA back on Sept 02, 2010.

Will anyone with the Trio Guide please give some additional feedback.
  • [1]Can you manage recordings from the client STB, the 1642HDC?
    [2]Can you schedule recordings from the client STB, the 1642HDC?
    [3]Can you add an eSATA External HDD?
    [4]Is Home Networking via DLNA available to access stored content?

(paragraphs added for readability)

Assigned numbers for easier use:

1. You can manage many things from the clients. You can delete recording, reorganize them (group, ungroup, etc). You can prioritize as well.

2. As of today, you can not schedule recordings from the client, however, this should be coming soon.

3. You can add eSATA HDD's to the WHDVR, however it's not supported by Cox.

4. Not right now. Rumored to be in the works.
post #551 of 990 Old 11-08-2010, 12:16 PM

Cox Rant:
I love that COX is spending so much time and energy on widgets and other crap, yet continues to not add anymore HD channels (i.e The Weather Channel, MyRI HD, WGN). Other providers, such as Comcast (Xfinity?) just over the line in Mass., Dish Network and FiOS outnumber COX's HD lineup in every case. (Some a lot more than others). Hell I wouldn't be suprised if Fullchannel has more HD than COX. (I know that's a stretch). It's time for COX to jump on board with the other providers, dump the bulk of the analog plant to allow an increase the amount of HD. Comcast did it last year, and in some areas of the country, two-three years ago. Time for Cox to do the same.
End of rant, I feel better.
Carry On...

(This rant is my own personal opinion and doesn't reflect my employers or anyone else in any way. As stated in my signature.)

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

post #552 of 990 Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Agreed. Drop the analog tier down by 10-20 channels.
post #553 of 990 Old 11-09-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Cox Rant:
I love that COX is spending so much time and energy on widgets and other crap, yet continues to not add anymore HD channels (i.e The Weather Channel, MyRI HD, WGN). Other providers, such as Comcast (Xfinity?) just over the line in Mass., Dish Network and FiOS outnumber COX's HD lineup in every case. (Some a lot more than others). Hell I wouldn't be suprised if Fullchannel has more HD than COX. (I know that's a stretch). It's time for COX to jump on board with the other providers, dump the bulk of the analog plant to allow an increase the amount of HD. Comcast did it last year, and in some areas of the country, two-three years ago. Time for Cox to do the same.
Carry On...

(This rant is my own personal opinion and doesn't reflect my employers or anyone else in any way. As stated in my signature.)

i have to agree but i love the fact the whole home dvr is great
post #554 of 990 Old 11-09-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Cox Rant:
Carry On...

Thats a awesome idea. I am sure they will agree to that if you can only think of a way to stop the thousands of people calling furious they won't have their analog channels anymore. :-) Its the same debate of 4:3 vs 16:9. You can't make everyone happy. I agree that Cox needs to work on adding HD channels, but you should also be aware of the consequences. Theres a lot of seniors with nothing but 20year old TVs, no ability to use a receiver and paying a very set amount of money per month. I know, I have had to gone out and repair TV's for some of them. Just check out the Comcast thread, and the not to happy people when that change came around.
post #555 of 990 Old 11-10-2010, 04:59 AM

I am in RI and I just got the whole home DVR installed on Monday. Installation went smoothly. So far I really like it. The new guide is a HUGE improvement over the previous guide. There is no comparison. The graphics and colors are excellent IMO.

I look forward to the ability to set a recording from the remote box. I noticed last night when I tried to do it, it says on the screen that this feature is coming soon.
post #556 of 990 Old 11-10-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Harry View Post

I am sure they will agree to that if you can only think of a way to stop the thousands of people calling furious they won't have their analog channels anymore. :-) Its

We went through it with the analog TV transition, I know it's not easy to deal with, but that's part of life. Comcast dealt with it, us broadcasters dealt with it, I am very confident Cox could deal with it too.

COX needs to look at the bigger picture in the whole game. What is more important? Keeping the dinosaur analog plant in tact, to please the few, or move forward, and stay competitive in the market by offering a more advanced product for both future viewers and those (like me) who spend more $$$ for the digital product. Especially in a competitive cable market like what we have here in Rhode Island.

I've seen the Comcast threads in the markets where it's happened (Atlanta, Boston, New York, Philadelphia) and I just say "build a bridge and get over it" to those who come online to whine about it. For those who do, I will bet you there are 2/3 more who just went with the transition, got the box and moved on.

Sometimes in life everyone has to put up with change to bring advancement in technology, that they may not like.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

post #557 of 990 Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:

Sometimes in life everyone has to put up with change to bring advancement in technology, that they may not like.

Thats easy to say as a Engineer. Try telling that face to face to a 91 year old grandma and her angry grandson. My point is HD isn't going anywhere. The more time given to people to adjust, the easier the adjustment is going to be for them. Look how long, and how much notice they DTV and people still had problems with that, and that was much simpler. What is ironic is the people who should be thankful now don't know enough to care, and when they do make the change, the people who would usually be thankful will only say "about time". Oi. I am not saying your wrong, I too wish they would make the change, but I also see their point of view.

Oh, and by the way, what statistics do you have to say analog is the "few".I believe HD has no where near the saturation of analog.
post #558 of 990 Old 11-11-2010, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:

Thats easy to say as a Engineer. Try telling that face to face to a 91 year old grandma and her angry grandson. My point is HD isn't going anywhere. The more time given to people to adjust, the easier the adjustment is going to be for them. Look how long, and how much notice they DTV and people still had problems with that, and that was much simpler. What is ironic is the people who should be thankful now don't know enough to care, and when they do make the change, the people who would usually be thankful will only say "about time". Oi. I am not saying your wrong, I too wish they would make the change, but I also see their point of view.

Oh, and by the way, what statistics do you have to say analog is the "few".I believe HD has no where near the saturation of analog.

http://broadcastengineering.com/eng/...says-20101110/

Quote:

A majority of U.S. households now own an HDTV, making the entertainment technology one of the most quickly adopted in 20 years, according to the latest research from Nielsen.

What they dont talk about is the availability of actually watching HD content. Many things are still in SD showing on HD channels, tehre is more and more HD every year, but as everyone here know the local transition has been very VERY slow.
post #559 of 990 Old 11-11-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thats a awesome idea. I am sure they will agree to that if you can only think of a way to stop the thousands of people calling furious they won't have their analog channels anymore. :-) Its the same debate of 4:3 vs 16:9. You can't make everyone happy. I agree that Cox needs to work on adding HD channels, but you should also be aware of the consequences. Theres a lot of seniors with nothing but 20year old TVs, no ability to use a receiver and paying a very set amount of money per month. I know, I have had to gone out and repair TV's for some of them. Just check out the Comcast thread, and the not to happy people when that change came around.

what comcast has done is give up to 2 digtal recivers for the elderly. I see no reason cox should hold on to analog. its just like like when cox came out with digital service it was a new and you need a box. then they droped the HBO off of analog and i needed digital service to get movies channels so is that the same thing you need to move with times.cox is holding on to analog is kinda unfair in a way some of channels have been moved to digital and i know need to have digital service whats up with that? so why should the elderly not have to move to digital dservice to get there channels thats one sided or am i wrong. i think its time for cox to drop analog ands give us more HD as we want more
post #560 of 990 Old 11-11-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGuy29 View Post

1. You can manage many things from the clients. You can delete recording, reorganize them (group, ungroup, etc). You can prioritize as well.

2. As of today, you can not schedule recordings from the client, however, this should be coming soon.

All accurate. With regard to #2, however, that update is coming somewhere between Monday and Wednesday of next week. From a personal standpoint, I'm quite excited about that.
post #561 of 990 Old 11-11-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Cox Rant:
I love that COX is spending so much time and energy on widgets and other crap, yet continues to not add anymore HD channels (i.e The Weather Channel, MyRI HD, WGN).

The Weather Channel HD is coming before the end of the year. More are in queue for early '11. And even more are available above 860 Mhz, so they're available to Trio customers (this includes a bunch of HBO/Showtime/Starz channels, as well as others like the Cooking Channel, DIY, and SWRV.
post #562 of 990 Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

The Weather Channel HD is coming before the end of the year. More are in queue for early '11. And even more are available above 860 Mhz, so they're available to Trio customers (this includes a bunch of HBO/Showtime/Starz channels, as well as others like the Cooking Channel, DIY, and SWRV.

OK I was wondering why there was all then channels in the guide but would not come in keepo getting in signal CAn not wait for the WEATHER CHANNEL HD but sorry will believe it when I see it on sorry about that EJW_CoxNE its i have been waiting and waiting howe much more will the weather channel cost me 15.00 dallars a month of am sure there more channels then just the weather channel how about sluth channel i be more will to pay more for that and also wgn america
post #563 of 990 Old 11-12-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

All accurate. With regard to #2, however, that update is coming somewhere between Monday and Wednesday of next week. From a personal standpoint, I'm quite excited about that.

EJW_CoxNE,
Do you have any updates as to how long the wait is for the WHDVR? I have been "on the list" for over 3 weeks and have not heard anything. Any info on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #564 of 990 Old 11-12-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Originally Posted by RIGuy29

i found out i can record from all rooms with the whole home dvr
post #565 of 990 Old 11-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Given that Cox will be producing a host of Rhode Island Rams basketball games in High Def this season, can anyone explain the delivery method they have in mind? Will a temporary HD channel be added for these days?

In addition, since Cox Sports Television is producing and has already produced a lot of original HD content, when will they have the ability to offer this original HD content OnDemand?
post #566 of 990 Old 11-12-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

i know can set up recording in my bedroom from the client box. WOW
why is there new hd channels in the line-up but there not working? just wondering why they are on the guide when they are not released? I can only wonder how many phone calls you got on that. I have to say I called thought it was my box after the fact before i saw the info on here. also no one had heard of the new channels. thanks EJW_CoxNE for that info was kinda like scraching my head on that. any more box updates on the way? also just wondering as they update the boxes will it cut down on the dvr recording space? How and who can i call to get help with adding a sata hard drive is there anyone i can call or get help with this?thanks for any info EJW_CoxNE
post #567 of 990 Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

swrv hd on channel 820 coooool
post #568 of 990 Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomputerguy View Post
i know can set up recording in my bedroom from the client box. WOW
why is there new hd channels in the line-up but there not working? just wondering why they are on the guide when they are not released? I can only wonder how many phone calls you got on that. I have to say I called thought it was my box after the fact before i saw the info on here. also no one had heard of the new channels. thanks EJW_CoxNE for that info was kinda like scraching my head on that. any more box updates on the way? also just wondering as they update the boxes will it cut down on the dvr recording space? How and who can i call to get help with adding a sata hard drive is there anyone i can call or get help with this?thanks for any info EJW_CoxNE
Adding an eSATA External HDD is simple as plug and play.

If you want the best performance for the same price roughly as a pre-built DVR Expander, such as a WD My DVR Expander, see the link in my signature.

I recommend only using a Western Digital Caviar Black series HDD any model but 1TB Max, for an external.
Here is a PDF Parts List Set-Up with No-Enclosure.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #569 of 990 Old 11-13-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanML View Post
EJW_CoxNE,
Do you have any updates as to how long the wait is for the WHDVR? I have been "on the list" for over 3 weeks and have not heard anything. Any info on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.
Update:
I spoke to a CSR last evening and he was surprised that I had not been contacted yet. He mentioned that they will be advertising the Plus Pak starting next week. He had another CSR contact me right after the call to schedule the WHDVR install for next week. So they are readily available.
post #570 of 990 Old 11-15-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

WOW ABOUT F***** TIME
The Weather Channel HD
December 15th channel 787 took 3 years to get it.
The Weather Channel HD is a 1080i high definition simulcast of The Weather Channel that launched on September 26, 2007
just like Lifetime movie net and halmark channel we got then 5 years after the channels came out alongf with wgn 2 years after
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page