Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 990 Old 09-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomputerguy View Post

I agree but there no way they can do it unless they activate the message system through the box but I was told there was too many people to email for box updates.Comcast has and they can send message to your box I have asked cox why they have not but no one seems to know but it be nice if they did because they could send you a message like your cable service is due for disconect ect. 2 no weather channel till the weather channel sends out local on the 8's in HD which means if you want your local weather you have to tune in on 51 but cox has it in other areas in both SD and HD at this point cox gots me shacking my head on this issue. WGN I love it even though its not HD would love to know why its not my guess is there testing to see it gets watched if not there going to get rid of it. I know if WGN goes am going to cut my cable servies its really the only one of the few digital I love know that we have it I could not live with out it.

We definitely have no plans to get rid of WGN. We know there are a lot of fans out there, so we're happy to offer it. As far as the HD goes - you know it's a bit of an HD arms race out there, and we're always trying to add more. WGN HD is among those we're considering for upcoming additions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 990 Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

We definitely have no plans to get rid of WGN. We know there are a lot of fans out there, so we're happy to offer it. As far as the HD goes - you know it's a bit of an HD arms race out there, and we're always trying to add more. WGN HD is among those we're considering for upcoming additions.

AWSOME I still feel we should have the weather channel in HD anyway but thats my two cents Will the new guide were supossed to be getting allow messages sent to the boxes?
post #33 of 990 Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 PM

I just tried scanning for QAM channels on my PC with a TV Tuner, and it seems like NBA Network HD has slipped through along with the local HDs.
post #34 of 990 Old 09-25-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

Pertaining to the Weather Channel, the answer I got is this: the Local on the 8s are not available in HD, and the feeling is that providing TWC HD without it would lead to confusion among certain segments of viewers. TWC has tentative plans to provide Local on the 8s in HD next year.

As far as the boxes, this is directly from one of our product managers:

"We try to do all receiver resets in the maintenance windows (2a-5a) which provides the least amount of impact to our customers. We pay close attention to keeping it to a minimal. We will consider your recommendation with future resets. Unfortunately we do not have the capability to utilize our receiver to send messages. It is a limitation with our guide company."

As for the Weather CHannel HD this has been Cox's view since the beginning and has been repeated in the "other" HD thread. Cox has added TWCHD in markets that have local on the 8s in HD, but not where they remain in SD. Each area has its own equipment that needs to be upgraded in order to display the local on the 8s in HD (TWC provider not Cox). From what I hear this is very very expensive equipment and areas are doing it, but it is going slowly.

As far as the updates thats was the case when I worked as well. Updates will always happen in the overnight sometimes and there is no real way to tell customers as sometimes the reps dont even know there is an update going out. While it would be benifical to have some type of notification, I dont think in the end it will make much of a difference.

EDIT: Thank you for the update regarding the PPV issue.....I have a feeling well see the second PPVHD channel again in November when the Paq\\Cotto go against another UFC PPV event as I beelive they are on the same weekend.....
post #35 of 990 Old 09-25-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg02445 View Post

I just tried scanning for QAM channels on my PC with a TV Tuner, and it seems like NBA Network HD has slipped through along with the local HDs.

Just dont get used to it ....
post #36 of 990 Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can I record anything on my DVR to a DVD recorder though the Line in inputs on a DVD recorder or will the Cox DVR Copy right management software prevent it from recording I know at one time you could save to VCR tapes EJW_CoxNE do you know anything thanks
post #37 of 990 Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can I record anything on my DVR to a DVD recorder though the Line in inputs on a DVD recorder or will the Cox DVR Copy right management software prevent it from recording I know at one time you could save to VCR tapes EJW_CoxNE do you know anything thanks

I just want to save IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT on WGN running out of room on my DVR
post #38 of 990 Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 AM

Well, MyRITV has launched on WNAC DT2....

I guess we'll see it on COX sometime in 2011.
=
post #39 of 990 Old 09-29-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg02445 View Post

Well, MyRITV has launched on WNAC DT2....

I guess we'll see it on COX sometime in 2011.
=

I hope Not Beacse i was looking on the guide and they took smackdown off fox 64 so hopefully it won't be long before cox adds My ri tv and hopfully in HD
post #40 of 990 Old 09-29-2009, 08:29 AM

Hi All Just wanted to pass this news along I Just Got off the Phone With Cox Regauding MY ri tv Accoring to the cox rep. he told me that my ri tv will be on cox cable ch 811 on oct 1st no word about HD as of yet

Have a great day all
Matt
post #41 of 990 Old 09-30-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceWelkMH View Post

Hi All Just wanted to pass this news along I Just Got off the Phone With Cox Regauding MY ri tv Accoring to the cox rep. he told me that my ri tv will be on cox cable ch 811 on oct 1st no word about HD as of yet

Additional channels like that are practically never in HD over the air, not enough bandwidth.
So MYRI will be in 480i and you will like it that way...
post #42 of 990 Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:

I just want to save IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT on WGN running out of room on my DVR

First of all, "In the Heat of the Night" was awesome, but everyone knows Alan Autry's best work was on "Grace Under Fire."

Secondly, you won't be able to copy anything that is copy-protected, which many things are. I have no idea if that applies to any Carroll O'Connor vehicles.
post #43 of 990 Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First of all, "In the Heat of the Night" was awesome, but everyone knows Alan Autry's best work was on "Grace Under Fire."

Secondly, you won't be able to copy anything that is copy-protected, which many things are. I have no idea if that applies to any Carroll O'Connor vehicles.

As far as I know I beleive Cox disables the firewire port on the DVR so you are unable to copy from the DVR to a HD. There was some discussion of this in the old thread and over on dslreports. The only way you are oging to be able to copy is if you use a non Cox DVR. Things might have changed though, but as recently as a few months ago copying was disabled.
post #44 of 990 Old 10-02-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:

I've have each of my 6200 series DVRs connected to its own DVD recorder (Samsungs both) for *years* and I've never had an issue with copy protection. Perhaps it's just what I tend to burn to disk - Food Network, MSNBC, occasional Comedy Central. I've heard there can be issues with shows from premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) ..... perhaps I'll try "Real Time with Bill Maher" tonight and see what happens.

Don't bother asking how they're hooked up - I just did what the Owner's Manual said.
post #45 of 990 Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 PM

My RI TV is in HD on Verizon FiOS.

It is in SD on COX and over the air.

And don't ask me when it goes on HD on COX. I don't have an answer for that one. Call COX and tell them you want it in HD...

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #46 of 990 Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1KNE View Post

And don't ask me when it goes on HD on COX. I don't have an answer for that one. Call COX and tell them you want it in HD...

Someone please explain how it could be in HD on FiOS if it originates as SD OTA?
Are you implying that FiOS is able to get a full-bandwidth feed from the studio before it gets down-sampled to 480i for broadcast??
post #47 of 990 Old 10-05-2009, 04:10 PM

New Cox DVR

Hey all, so does anyone have any details on this new box that is coming out from Cox? I have heard the following:

-Much smaller footprint with no front time display
-Larger hard drive
-Multi-room dvr functionality?
-More tuners? (record more channels at once)
-Tivo OS?
-Stream media from your home network?

So can anyone confirm any of that stuff and also supply a date? I heard it was in testing internally with Cox and possibly with Cox employees at home?

Thanks all!
post #48 of 990 Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferdude2000 View Post

New Cox DVR

Hey all, so does anyone have any details on this new box that is coming out from Cox? I have heard the following:

-Larger hard drive
-Tivo OS?

So can anyone confirm any of that stuff and also supply a date? I heard it was in testing internally with Cox and possibly with Cox employees at home?

Thanks all!

I don't have any inside info, but here is a related post from CT...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17123034

~gs2gf
post #49 of 990 Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Where is the HD channel on Verizon? I have not even seen an SD?

post #50 of 990 Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransaldi View Post

Where is the HD channel on Verizon? I have not even seen an SD?

SD is 14
HD is 514

COX is on 811 SD Only

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

post #51 of 990 Old 10-07-2009, 06:34 AM

W1KNE - I had not seen it in the guide but I will be sure to look for it tonight. Thanks for the info.
post #52 of 990 Old 10-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Neither 14 or 514 is in the guide or tuneable on any of my boxes. Anyone confirm they have the My Network on Verizon?
post #53 of 990 Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post

Someone please explain how it could be in HD on FiOS if it originates as SD OTA?
Are you implying that FiOS is able to get a full-bandwidth feed from the studio before it gets down-sampled to 480i for broadcast??

Yes. The feed comes from our master control in HD, 720p. The 720p feed is "distributed" to Fios via a fiber interconnect, is also gets "down-converted" into a SD feed and the SD feed is fed via fiber to Cox, Verizon, Comcast, and is put on a SD encoder (64.2) on the OTA channel as well.

All of the broadcast stations in Providence are directly connected to COX, FiOS and Comcast via fiber optic. The only cable company completley relying on over the air is Full Channel.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

post #54 of 990 Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikein View Post

Ahh, I misunderstood the original question. I was having a debate on another board about HDMI vs Component and some of it carried over. Thanks for the info. Cox does get its own stream for most content to my knowledge, but I will look into that and reply when I have some data either way.

On a related point, I think there is talk on releasing it HD. If you want it HD, and have Cox, call up and request a "Channel request" form to be filled out on your behalf. I did that myself for ESPN 360, and it seemed to work.

Trikein is right - decisions are made as to what channels to include based on perceived demand. Me saying, "it seems like people are interested in Channel X in HD" doesn't carry much weight. But if enough people request something, the balls gets rolling much more quickly.
post #55 of 990 Old 10-20-2009, 01:24 PM

The Rhode Island Division of Public Utilities and Carriers (“Division”) will conduct a public hearing on Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 10:00 a.m., in the second-floor hearing room (Hearing Room B) of the Division’s office located at 89 Jefferson Boulevard, Warwick.

Proposed changes are in red.

http://www.ripuc.org/utilityinfo/cab...1_propsoed.pdf

Stop looking at the picture and watch the show!
post #56 of 990 Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferdude2000 View Post

New Cox DVR

-Larger hard drive
-Tivo OS?

Thanks all!

I can confirm that we'll be offering Whole Home DVR in the coming months. The "node" boxes will be appreciably smaller. That's all I know at this point, but I will share more information as it becomes available.

Tivo is coming as well.
post #57 of 990 Old 10-31-2009, 05:55 PM

I want to see remote access DVR, so if I want to record something at home, while I am work, I can pull it up on the web and schedule it. Like DirecTV does now.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

post #58 of 990 Old 10-31-2009, 06:03 PM

I would like to see the ability to connect an external HD, USB or eSata to be able to record more HD content.

Scott
post #59 of 990 Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1KNE View Post

I want to see remote access DVR, so if I want to record something at home, while I am work, I can pull it up on the web and schedule it. Like DirecTV does now.

I know Trikein has said it and I have read that Cox is working on this. I remember reading about Cox working on this earlier in the year. Give it some time and you will see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottder View Post

I would like to see the ability to connect an external HD, USB or eSata to be able to record more HD content.

Scott

Not gonna happen . again as Trikein said if you really want this then you will have to go outside of Cox for a DVR that supports this.

The only thing besides the multi room DVR that is comming that I want is the HD nets, I herad rumors that Cox is working on getting an agreement for the New England Area, so hopefully that is still being done. One of the things I can see holding it up is that HDNets are a pay channel, so they would have to figure out a package deal for those channels (like what other markets have done).
post #60 of 990 Old 11-04-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:

I can confirm that we'll be offering Whole Home DVR in the coming months. The "node" boxes will be appreciably smaller. That's all I know at this point, but I will share more information as it becomes available.

Tivo is coming as well.

Awesome news! Do keep us updated. Thanks!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page