Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 990 Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxMole View Post

I noticed on the Cox website, they list the HBOs in HD plus other channels. But it says you need to have the "Plus Package."

What is that exactly? I don't see it anywhere on the website.

Thanks.

EDIT: After reading different articles elsewhere, it seems that you need to have the Whole Room DVR to get those channels. Am I right?

yes you do and its worth it better picture some gliches but nothing i can't live with for the short tirm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 990 Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 AM

We have had our new boxes for about two weeks now as well. Last few days have been a little strange. First we noticed the volume has significantly reduced. We used to be able to set our TV to level 15-20 now we are in the high 20s and 30s. Had to go to 80 yesterday... This is both on the host and client. We are also getting a lot of reboots. Not sure if this is connection problems or constant updates. Seems like every night there is a reboot and two nights ago it did it about 3 times between 8:30 and 9:30. We were watching tv, screen started to flash pink...i started to freak thinking my TV was failing and the box would reset. Seems ok now. The thing that really sucks is we constantly have to change the user because when it reboots it reverts to the default user which we can't seem to edit or delete.

Our guide is also a little slow and we are noticing the DVR not starting on time rather than finishing too soon.

One annoying thing that I liked better about the old DVR was the ability to search if the show/movie you were watching on SD was also on HD. Used to be able to go into the guide, hit the search button and it would prefill the search with the show/movie you were watching and it would give you all the channels it was on including future. Now it doesn't seem to pick up that the same thing is on an HD channel. So I have to memorize the new HD channels...It is nice having all the SD movie channels in order but having to search some 700 level and some 800 level for the corresponding HD channels is a pain...
post #633 of 990 Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 PM

How many GBs does the Motorola DCH3416 have? Google isn't helping me here.

The Mole is here.
post #634 of 990 Old 12-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:

How many GBs does the Motorola DCH3416 have? Google isn't helping me here.

Digital
Cable?
Host
3 Model
4 Number of tuners times 2.
16 Amount of GB divided by 10.
post #635 of 990 Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

I've inquired about this with our product management team and will let you know as soon as I hear back from them.

Sorry for the delay, but here's the news on this.

At this time we are working with TiVo to test on its devices, which we expect to be completed early next year. I'll be happy to let you know when it's working.
post #636 of 990 Old 12-22-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrscot View Post

We have had our new boxes for about two weeks now as well. Last few days have been a little strange. First we noticed the volume has significantly reduced. We used to be able to set our TV to level 15-20 now we are in the high 20s and 30s. Had to go to 80 yesterday... This is both on the host and client. We are also getting a lot of reboots. Not sure if this is connection problems or constant updates. Seems like every night there is a reboot and two nights ago it did it about 3 times between 8:30 and 9:30. We were watching tv, screen started to flash pink...i started to freak thinking my TV was failing and the box would reset. Seems ok now. The thing that really sucks is we constantly have to change the user because when it reboots it reverts to the default user which we can't seem to edit or delete.

Our guide is also a little slow and we are noticing the DVR not starting on time rather than finishing too soon.

One annoying thing that I liked better about the old DVR was the ability to search if the show/movie you were watching on SD was also on HD. Used to be able to go into the guide, hit the search button and it would prefill the search with the show/movie you were watching and it would give you all the channels it was on including future. Now it doesn't seem to pick up that the same thing is on an HD channel. So I have to memorize the new HD channels...It is nice having all the SD movie channels in order but having to search some 700 level and some 800 level for the corresponding HD channels is a pain...

Is it a client or the DVR box that is rebooting?
post #637 of 990 Old 12-22-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrscot View Post

We're currently working on adding a functionality that addresses this, and we expect it in the next few months.
post #638 of 990 Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Is it a client or the DVR box that is rebooting?
It was the host but it seems to be running fine now. Still having the volume issue though.
post #639 of 990 Old 12-22-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
We're currently working on adding a functionality that addresses this, and we expect it in the next few months.
Thats awesome! Can't wait. Thanks for the reply.
post #640 of 990 Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had asked about the announcement that Cox Sports Television would be producing a bunch of URI Basketball games in High Def this season, but the Cox reps on this thread were too busy catering to the people who complain and ask about the same stuff every week.

Turns out, Cox will add temporary Cox Sports Television HD channel 784 within a day of this Saturday's big URI-PC rivalry game from the Dunkin Donuts Center, with a tip-off at 4pm.

What I would appreciate an answer on is whether Cox now has the ability to offer their original HD programming OnDemand, or if they must continue to only offer the widescreen SD versions.

As I only have Cox for the internet and the QAM channels they provide, it's disappointing they're not offering their locally produced HD URI-PC games outside of the digital subscriber base. If it's a bandwidth issue, it that hard to turn off one of the QAM channels like RetroTV and put on the few games they carry in HD? I'm not going to upgrade just for a dozen or so broadcasts.
post #641 of 990 Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM

Check out my original post about this (#612), no word yet from Cox about support for TiVo owners who need a Switched Video Digital Tuning Adapter to get access to the additional channels. I guess it's time once again to file an official complaint with the FCC and the RIPUC.

Quote:

I noticed on the Cox website, they list the HBOs in HD plus other channels. But it says you need to have the "Plus Package."

What is that exactly? I don't see it anywhere on the website.

Thanks.

EDIT: After reading different articles elsewhere, it seems that you need to have the Whole Room DVR to get those channels. Am I right?

post #642 of 990 Old 12-30-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurovision View Post

Check out my original post about this (#612), no word yet from Cox about support for TiVo owners who need a Switched Video Digital Tuning Adapter to get access to the additional channels. I guess it's time once again to file an official complaint with the FCC and the RIPUC.

What case are you going to make with the FCC? Their bonus channels only given to those that subscribe to the whole home DVR. You don't get them just like you don't get HBO unless you pay for it. There may also be a issue with the tunner, but its also a issue of getting what you pay for. I can understand if you were talking about switched video and not getting that on a tivo, thats for channels everyone gets with digitial, but having a Tivo shouldnt get you MORE then a normal digital box, just the same.
post #643 of 990 Old 12-30-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Harry View Post

What case are you going to make with the FCC? Their bonus channels only given to those that subscribe to the whole home DVR. You don't get them just like you don't get HBO unless you pay for it. There may also be a issue with the tunner, but its also a issue of getting what you pay for. I can understand if you were talking about switched video and not getting that on a tivo, thats for channels everyone gets with digitial, but having a Tivo shouldnt get you MORE then a normal digital box, just the same.

The issue is that the actual extra service tier only costs five bucks more than the Advanced service, but that Cox is only making it AVAILABLE to those who rent their whole home DVR. It's exactly the same as having to make CableCards available to those subscribers who have their own equipment, i.e. TiVo, in order to get/decode the programming that requires a cable box. Adding on extra channels on a new bandwidth that only their own equipment can access is an FCC rule violation, and TiVo has the capability if the cable companies provide the adapter for the paying customers who want to pay the extra fee for the extra channels, but simply don't want to rent the Cox DVR. Simple as that.
post #644 of 990 Old 12-30-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
The issue is that the actual extra service tier only costs five bucks more than the Advanced service, but that Cox is only making it AVAILABLE to those who rent their whole home DVR. It's exactly the same as having to make CableCards available to those subscribers who have their own equipment, i.e. TiVo, in order to get/decode the programming that requires a cable box. Adding on extra channels on a new bandwidth that only their own equipment can access is an FCC rule violation, and TiVo has the capability if the cable companies provide the adapter for the paying customers who want to pay the extra fee for the extra channels, but simply don't want to rent the Cox DVR. Simple as that.
Hmm, you make a valid point. I am no lawyer, or expert on the FCC, but I also see some flaws in your argument. If I get basic/exspanded, or what ever they call it these days, and get a cable card, I would want everything in that line up, no matter what I am using for equipment to for the tuning. But this is different, this isn't Cox excluding you from getting channels based on your equipment, this is Cox excluding you from content based on package. No matter what equipment you use, unless you pay extra for the whole room DVR, you can't pay extra for the extra channels. So your argument is that cox should allow you to purchase the package no matter what services you currently have? Thats like me wanting to get the sport package and not get expanded on a cable card. Expanded is a prerequisite for that package. Whole Home DVR is a prerequisite for the extra HD channels. That may change, according to some of the people here "in the know" you will be able to just get the receiver and pay for the extra package without having the whole room DVR, and then I believe your argument will have more merit. For now though, I personally see it within their right to not include that channels in the normal HD package. Do I wish they were included? Heck ya. Is it legal/lawful? No idea. I am just speaking ethically. You make a interesting case though. Do you have any FCC rulings that you could cite?
post #645 of 990 Old 12-31-2010, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Who said Cox New England or Rhode Island was using Switched Digital Video? I do not think they are. So you would not need a Tuning Adapter.
Cox SDV markets are Orange County, CA, Arizona, Northern Virginia, with recent additions of Hampton Roads, VA and New Orleans, LA.

However, I have never been able to confirm the TiVo will support frequencies above 860MHz, Even if it has a 1GHz Tuner, which I also cannot confirm. As of July 2010 one TiVo Forum poster posted an email from TiVo claiming they did not currently support frequencies above 860MHz. That may have or could change. You should contact TiVo and let us know the answer you receive.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...54#post8060854

So now assuming the TiVo hardware is capable, and the software supports, frequencies over 860MHz....Then
The very last sentence of the Cox Press Release leaves an open door.
http://cox.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=484
Quote:
"Customers can add the Plus Package to any level of Cox Advanced TV (digital video service) for a small monthly fee."
I believe Cox considers the use of a CableCard as an Advanced TV (digital video service), don't they charge an Advanced TV (formally Gateway) fee in addition to every CableCard fee? Cox Arizona DOES. If Cox will not give you an answer or the Plus Package channels, for the $5.00/mo, (assuming the TiVo has a tuner capable of 1GHz), then demand the Advanced TV fee per CC be removed or credited from your bill each month. In AZ the separate, "Advanced TV" Fee is $3.00 for the first receiver/CC and $2.00 each after the first.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #646 of 990 Old 12-31-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
So now assuming the TiVo hardware is capable, and the software supports, frequencies over 860MHz....Then
The very last sentence of the Cox Press Release leaves an open door.
http://cox.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=484
At the moment, per the Cox rep on the three-way phone call with me and the TiVo rep, Cox won't/can't add on the extra channels for whatever fee WITHOUT RENTAL OF THE WHOLE ROOM DVR EQUIPMENT. Their system does not allow them to add that extra tier of service without also renting the special equipment from them... that is what I'm complaining about.

Quote:
Do you have any FCC rulings that you could cite?
This FCC ruling about a similar issue should also apply here, since it is the same principle: limiting/excluding service if you do not rent their box (therefore pay a lot more per month just for equipment rental, not for the actual service)

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-08-2299A1.pdf
post #647 of 990 Old 12-31-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:

This FCC ruling about a similar issue should also apply here, since it is the same principle: limiting/excluding service if you do not rent their box (therefore pay a lot more per month just for equipment rental, not for the actual service)

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-08-2299A1.pdf

Hmm, by reading the quoted FCC notice, I have have somewhat changed my opinion. I still disagree that Cox has gone against the meaning behind the ruling you mentioned, but I do agree that your opinion lines up better with the notice by the FCC. I would like to point out the fallowing quote though:

" The Commission recognized that devices made pursuant to the standard adopted in
the Plug and Play Order lacked upstream or bi-directional capabilities and therefore could not receive
certain programming or services, but that recognition did not extend to services that consumers
traditionally experienced as one-way services or programming that was part of the package for which they
were already paying.

5"

Granted, this isn't a statement by the FCC, but rather a explanation of Cox's point of view, but I still find it relevant. I think this argument differs because the new content is something new, taking advantage of bandwidth cox invested money into to be able to use. This isn't Cox removing something you didn't need a receiver before and now requiring one. On top of that, the whole issue may be moot if their isn't the required support in the Tivo, as mentioned before. I respect your opinion though, and thank you for the literature.
post #648 of 990 Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM

I thought I had replied to this already, so apologies.

Product management in Atlanta is currently working with TiVo to test their devices and allow for those channels (above 860 MHz) to be included with TiVo products. We expect testing to be completed early this year, and I will be more than happy to let you know once that has occurred.
post #649 of 990 Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Local on the 8's
not on the weather hd 787 whats going on? hmmm i wonder if its something to do with
the outage last night here in newport
post #650 of 990 Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Still happening? Is the problem intermittent or constant?
post #651 of 990 Old 01-11-2011, 04:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomputerguy View Post

Local on the 8's
not on the weather hd 787 whats going on? hmmm i wonder if its something to do with
the outage last night here in newport

There was an outage? I live in NPT as well and didn't notice anything...what/when?

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #652 of 990 Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 PM

Liked: 11
I too have noticed that the local on the 8's haven't worked right on TWCHD the last couple of days but all seems better today.

1303 DVD
91 Blu-Ray
My Collection

post #653 of 990 Old 01-16-2011, 02:50 PM

Watching the Patriots on CBS HD and something seems off. Almost like it keeps losing focus. You can see it most clearly in the grass or the crowd. Trying to see if its something I need to adjust on my TV or its something else. Anyone else noticing it?
post #654 of 990 Old 01-16-2011, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

HI
any updates for remote record feature for the whole home dvr? It works on the old dvrs
miss it very much
post #655 of 990 Old 01-17-2011, 01:52 PM

Hmm. I just noticed that HBOHD is on the On Demand menu. But when I click on it it says: "Check back periodically for exciting Video On Demand programming which may include sports, entertainment, local features & other special programs."

I called Cox and she told me she has "no idea when it will be there. But that they are working on it."

So they just put it in there for fun? It's such a tease.

Anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance.

The Mole is here.
post #656 of 990 Old 01-17-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Hmm. I just noticed that HBOHD is on the On Demand menu. But when I click on it it says: "Check back periodically for exciting Video On Demand programming which may include sports, entertainment, local features & other special programs."

I called Cox and she told me she has "no idea when it will be there. But that they are working on it."

So they just put it in there for fun? It's such a tease.

Anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance.

HBO HD OnDemand went Live in Phoenix today.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #657 of 990 Old 01-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Has anyone else noticed that FOX HD (61.1) picture skips or studders only during FOX primetime shows? I have verified this on two of my HDTVs (different brands). I am not using a cable box, just the cable going into the TV.
post #658 of 990 Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:

Watching the Patriots on CBS HD and something seems off. Almost like it keeps losing focus. You can see it most clearly in the grass or the crowd. Trying to see if its something I need to adjust on my TV or its something else. Anyone else noticing it?

I'll check our logger at work to see how it looked off air, to make sure it wasn't a problem on our end.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #659 of 990 Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor02 View Post

Has anyone else noticed that FOX HD (61.1) picture skips or studders only during FOX primetime shows? I have verified this on two of my HDTVs (different brands). I am not using a cable box, just the cable going into the TV.

Are you talking about FOX CT (WTIC) on 61.1? or FOX Providence (WNAC) on 64.1? If you mean the first, you should post this on the Hartford forums.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #660 of 990 Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1KNE View Post

I'll check our logger at work to see how it looked off air, to make sure it wasn't a problem on our end.

Ok, just keep it mind its more likly something on my end, I just wanted to see if anyone else noticed it to eliminate that as a possibility. New TV, with ALOT of options, and I am slowly trying to work my way to the best PQ. Heck, it could have even just been the auto focus on the camera recording. Nothing you can do about that! LOL!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page