Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 990 Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomputerguy View Post

maybe your right thats what i was told but then again the info might not be right i got from the cox rep

The reps info could be correct.

There is a difference between can it work and will they give you one. When I was living in MA a few years back, comcast would not give you a hd set to box unless you had a hdtv. It's not about whether it will work or not, but them trying to save a buck since the HD boxes are more expensive.

That as before I bought a HDTV in 07, and there were a couple channels that were only available in hd, and I wanted to be able to watch them, but they wouldn't allow it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 990 Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Harry View Post

Ahh, yes, I had seen that problem come up on different forums, and the threads seem to die after the OP solved it, but would never give a solution. Was it set to 02 for every channel I assume? I would check on the Tivo forums and see if there is a trend with Cox. I am wondering if this is intentional.

Yes it was set to 0x02 on every channel.
post #753 of 990 Old 04-13-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post

The reps info could be correct.

There is a difference between can it work and will they give you one. When I was living in MA a few years back, comcast would not give you a hd set to box unless you had a hdtv. It's not about whether it will work or not, but them trying to save a buck since the HD boxes are more expensive.

That as before I bought a HDTV in 07, and there were a couple channels that were only available in hd, and I wanted to be able to watch them, but they wouldn't allow it.

Could be. But I doubt it. Receiver is still in inventory and cost more to rent then a SD receiver, so they make money by giving it to you. Also, you don't need a HD TV to see HD channels, your TV just need to be capable of the resolution output. If your using S-video, and have the HD receiver set at 480p, and went a HD channel, you would see a slight increase. About the difference between VHS and DVD. Getting HD channels without a HD receiver is different though. Getting a HD receiver without a HD TV is fine. And if you really wanted to, just do a self install and tell them you have a HD TV. LOL. Not like they can tell. That won't work for Whole home, but even then I would think you could just ask for them to check with their supervisor, and if they wanted the commission and the answer was yes, they could call you back. I think the story would suddenly change. :-) Just be nice about it.

And before anyone asks again,no, don't work for Cox. I used to work for a contract group(which will go nameless) that installed Satellite, and a similar question came up then.
post #754 of 990 Old 04-27-2011, 07:20 PM

Does anyone know when Cox Wireless is going to hit Rhode Island? I saw the ads and was wondering if anyone knew the date. I need a new cell phone soon and wouldn't mind keeping it with Cox.

The Mole is here.
post #755 of 990 Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxMole View Post

Does anyone know when Cox Wireless is going to hit Rhode Island? I saw the ads and was wondering if anyone knew the date. I need a new cell phone soon and wouldn't mind keeping it with Cox.

Yes, I am curious about that too. Also, what phones are they going to offer? I have seen the teasers.
post #756 of 990 Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxMole View Post
I went to the Warwick office a few weeks ago and I believe one of the reps there was selling it or at lest giving information on it (they had brocures). I didnt pay much attention though, but from what I heard it seems pretty standard.
post #757 of 990 Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

when is whole home dvr getting remote record? comcast has it for there whole home dvr! again cox is lacking a feature that we should have. I been waiting for months. has anyone droppped the whole home dvr due to this or have not jumped into the whole home dvr due to this? the only reason i have not gone back to the old DVR is lack of recording space
post #758 of 990 Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

when is whole home dvr getting remote record? comcast has it for there whole home dvr! again cox is lacking a feature that we should have. I been waiting for months. has anyone droppped the whole home dvr due to this or have not jumped into the whole home dvr due to this? the only reason i have not gone back to the old DVR is lack of recording space

Has anything improved since you posted the following:

Quote:

I really hate whole home dvr the client keeps Freezing when i rewind or fast forward '
if it wasn't for the 500 gb harddrive I really return the blank blank thing

Have you experienced any, missed recordings, missing guide info, slow response of the IPG?

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #759 of 990 Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Originally Posted by ricomputerguy

Quote:
I really hate whole home dvr the client keeps Freezing when i rewind or fast forward '

Have you experienced any, missed recordings, missing guide info, slow response of the IPG

None they found my signals too strong placed a filter on my line its still freezes every now and again but has very much gotten better some missing guide info but nothing to scream about like i said the only thing i hate is no remote record i also miss the onscreen games but no big deal but miss them. are we ever going to get face book and email through the set top box? i thought i read many moons ago they were working on that. how about tivo in the set top boxs is that also out the window? also the response of the IPG i have not had any of these probleme except caller id sometimes the number shows up but not in the caller id log or sometimes it just does not work
post #760 of 990 Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Quote:

Have you experienced any, missed recordings, missing guide info, slow response of the IPG

None they found my signals too strong placed a filter on my line its still freezes every now and again but has very much gotten better some missing guide info but nothing to scream about like i said the only thing i hate is no remote record i also miss the onscreen games but no big deal but miss them. are we ever going to get face book and email through the set top box? i thought i read many moons ago they were working on that. how about tivo in the set top boxs is that also out the window? also the response of the IPG i have not had any of these probleme except caller id sometimes the number shows up but not in the caller id log or sometimes it just does not work

tivo is now only going to be on tivo boxes and will have cox ondemand, but no dates anouced yet. the cox motorola tivo is dead
post #761 of 990 Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

tivo is now only going to be on tivo boxes and will have cox ondemand, but no dates anouced yet. the cox motorola tivo is dead

there's been some rumors though that the cox on demand on tivo has been put on hold / delayed.

hope that isn't the case
post #762 of 990 Old 05-05-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I haven't heard much lately so it might be delayed
post #763 of 990 Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

any new hd on the herizon
post #764 of 990 Old 05-09-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post

there's been some rumors though that the cox on demand on tivo has been put on hold / delayed.

hope that isn't the case

Nothing has been released from Cox since the Aug 2010 announcement. I think it is safe to assume it is on hold.
Cox Still in the works: http://www3.tivo.com/products/source/index.html
Cox Communications to Promote TiVo Premiere With Cox VOD Service to Its Subscribers
http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zht...430&highlight=

However, Today TiVo and Comcast announced a very similar "Retail" TiVo with Comcast VOD and Broadband services. Does that mean Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and BLOCKBUSTER stay? The Press Release states First Retail TiVo with VOD, that was what TiVo said of Cox.

05/09/11
TiVo and Comcast Team Up to Offer the First Retail Cable Set-Top With DVR That Delivers Linear TV, Broadband Content and Xfinity On Demand Library All From One Box
http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zht...261&highlight=

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #765 of 990 Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

what was the updates for on the whole home dvr for? was it for remote dvr recording control?
post #766 of 990 Old 06-09-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

mine updated about 12:30pm today i thought that was unual as updates usual happen over night?
post #767 of 990 Old 06-10-2011, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

any idea when remote record feature for whole home dvr is coming
post #768 of 990 Old 06-15-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Cox TV Lineup changes effective August 3, 2011:
The following channels will be moving:
IFC from ch. 164 to ch. 295*
Sundance from ch. 163 to ch. 294*
RAI Italia from ch. 297 to ch. 340**
TV5 Monde from ch. 298 to ch. 341**
Lifetime Movie Network (LMN) will move from ch. 165 to ch. 296
and will only be available with a subscription to the Movie Pak and
a Cox Advanced TV Receiver or CableCard. Existing customers who
subscribe to the Variety Pak will continue to receive LMN as long as
no changes are made to their account.
Nat Geo Mundo- ch. 317 will be added to the lineup.
TV Guide- ch. 4 will move to the Expanded tier and will only be
available with a Cox Advanced TV Receiver or CableCard.
On August 3, 2011, all Cox HD channels will move to the channel
positions beginning with 1000! Please refer to the enclosed HD
News From Cox cont.
lineup for details.
*Requires Cox Advanced TV with Variety Pak and a Cox Advanced
TV Receiver or CableCard. **Requires separate subscription.
Requires Cox Advanced TV with Latino Pak and a Cox Advanced TV
Receiver or CableCard.
Halogen which is located on ch. 171 will not be moving as
previously announced. It will remain available only to customers
who subscribe to the Variety Pak.
LMN will cost 11.00 for new subscribers wow cox is getting more expencive wow why should you need the Lation pak to get a channel from Italy and music choice HD strange 3rd why should you need a digital box for the tv guide channel WOW the elderly are going to be pissed
post #769 of 990 Old 06-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:

On August 3, 2011, all Cox HD channels will move to the channel
positions beginning with 1000!

Can someone in the know confirm this? If it is true, my biggest concern is whether all my programmed DVR shows will automatically adjust to the new channels or if I will have to go change each one manually as it comes up. This would obviously be a major inconvenience, and would take the better part of a year until some shows come back on again. Thanks for any info!

Edit: forgot to ask as well, will the channel assignments still stay as they are (ie 701 will be 1001, 725 to 1025 and so on) or will we all have to relearn a completely new channel lineup (also a major inconvenience for many customers).

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #770 of 990 Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese831 View Post

Can someone in the know confirm this? If it is true, my biggest concern is whether all my programmed DVR shows will automatically adjust to the new channels or if I will have to go change each one manually as it comes up. This would obviously be a major inconvenience, and would take the better part of a year until some shows come back on again. Thanks for any info!

Edit: forgot to ask as well, will the channel assignments still stay as they are (ie 701 will be 1001, 725 to 1025 and so on) or will we all have to relearn a completely new channel lineup (also a major inconvenience for many customers).

if you log on to pay/view bill it all right there
post #771 of 990 Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if you log on to pay/view bill it all right there

if it's like Omaha the HD's are duplicated for a month and then only HD in the 1000 tier which isn't bad HD ABC is 1000 more than the SD version and so on the only ones that should take time are the HD that have no SD versions.
post #772 of 990 Old 06-16-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:

if it's like Omaha the HD's are duplicated for a month and then only HD in the 1000 tier which isn't bad HD ABC is 1000 more than the SD version and so on the only ones that should take time are the HD that have no SD versions.

I would really like a "HD"button that would change to the HD equivalent of what ever channel your on. And if there wasn't one, it could just show the ???? like it does when you try to enter a non existing channel. Heck, they could probably just remapp the "swap" button the existing remotes. Here's hoping.
post #773 of 990 Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM

Just spoke with a Cox rep.

The SD channel reallignment mentioned is going to happen.

She has nothing about any HD channel changes.

Well turns out, she has no clue what she was talking about.

Effective August 03, 2011. Here is the new HD lineup.
http://www.necrat.us/coxHD.pdf

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #774 of 990 Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1KNE View Post

Just spoke with a Cox rep.

The SD channel reallignment mentioned is going to happen.

She has nothing about any HD channel changes.

Well turns out, she has no clue what she was talking about.

Effective August 03, 2011. Here is the new HD lineup.
http://www.necrat.us/coxHD.pdf

Reps have not been informed of the change to HD yet. Some many know just from whispers through the grapevine but it has not been completely rolled out. All customers will have information in their billing statements no later than 30 days prior to the changes.

I can confirm that the HD channels will mirror what the STANDARD Def numbers are (Except in 1000 increments: NHL Network = Channel 128 SD = Channel 1128 HD).

I will try and get confirmation if DVR's will update automatically or if it will require a manual change. Stay tuned...

TV Guide change is being made by the broadcaster. Only available in digital, and also helps free up space for more programming options in the future.
post #775 of 990 Old 06-17-2011, 09:45 PM

Hey, Cool TV, Ch12's sub channel (12.2) is showing up on my Vizio thru QAM. It's showing that the audio and video are scrambled (no sound or picture right now), labeled 'TheCool' and I'm getting about 12hrs worth of EPG data for the channel as well. Is this an accident or is Cox going to open this up for clear QAM?
post #776 of 990 Old 06-20-2011, 07:20 PM

Are they just changing the virtual channel tables or re-allocating the channels to a different chunk of RF spectrum?

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #777 of 990 Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would really like a "HD"button that would change to the HD equivalent of what ever channel your on. And if there wasn't one, it could just show the ???? like it does when you try to enter a non existing channel. Heck, they could probably just remapp the "swap" button the existing remotes. Here's hoping.

they can't remap the swap button that's used for the dvr's.
post #778 of 990 Old 06-20-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:

they can't remap the swap button that's used for the dvr's.

Then the HD Zoom. I don't think thats used anymore right? Anyway, it was just a dorky idea.
post #779 of 990 Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Then the HD Zoom. I don't think thats used anymore right? Anyway, it was just a dorky idea.

HD ZOOM
used with whole home dvr
post #780 of 990 Old 06-25-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:

HD ZOOM
used with whole home dvr

Fine, then D. Beat that. LOL