Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Specifics?

ANY original programming such as, but not limited to:
local sports coverage (URI/PC/Bryant/etc basketball/hockey games originally aired in HD)
weekly shows like Rhody Insider or Friars ALL Access
long format features like Narragansett or Cooley

A few years ago, the Cox employee who managed the coxsports youtube account explained there was some technical barrier to serving this HD content in HD OnDemand. It seems nothing has changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any one have plans to catch The Masters in 3D on 1300? I just caught some highlights from last year and it looks great.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 AM

We are in Rhode Island and have been relatively happy with Cox for servicing/reliability. But our 'bundle' bill is @ $152. per month (web/phone/TV). We are thinking about dropping the TV service. We use our Netflix service thru the Roku we have with the upstairs bedroom TV. For the basement TV I just ordered the 'ChromeCast' for @ $35. That is not due to arrive until late Sept/early Oct. (incredible order backlog)

I am considering getting an indoor antenna for OTA HD TV channels for upstairs to try out. The 'WireCutter' site ( http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-hdtv-antenna-c2-clearstream/ ) recommended one that is about $90. that has had VG reviews at many websites. We are just 11 miles from Providence and up on a hill. But, it is a Condo complex, and I cannot use an outdoor antenna.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Thanks...

"Like most weak men, he prided himself on never changing one's mind." W. Somerset Maugham

Old 08-19-2013, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11
Anybody have any info on all the new Fox channels coming online? I'm talking Fox Sports 1, FXX, and whatever else is being added. I don't have the Sports Package, which is the channel range where at least some of these will be residing. Will that still be the case, or will at least some of them migrate over to the basic/advanced packages?

I'm specifically looking at what will become FXX (currently Fox Soccer, HD 1131); several of my favorite shows are moving to this channel, and quite frankly I'm going to be pretty pissed if I have to buy a whole new channel package just to watch 1 channel.

A reply from someone involved with Cox would be spectacular, assuming any of them still visit this forum.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-19-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese831 View Post

Anybody have any info on all the new Fox channels coming online? I'm talking Fox Sports 1, FXX, and whatever else is being added. I don't have the Sports Package, which is the channel range where at least some of these will be residing. Will that still be the case, or will at least some of them migrate over to the basic/advanced packages?

I'm specifically looking at what will become FXX (currently Fox Soccer, HD 1131); several of my favorite shows are moving to this channel, and quite frankly I'm going to be pretty pissed if I have to buy a whole new channel package just to watch 1 channel.

A reply from someone involved with Cox would be spectacular, assuming any of them still visit this forum.

Although I don't work for Cox it has been said it will stay in the Sports pack for now.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
That's correct. We are evaluating the placement of the new network. Fox has us working overtime right now with all of their channel changes. This is one of the busiest seasons for channel rebrands and launches I can recall. I rebrand is harder than a launch because it already lives somewhere and when the format changes it affects other channels in that package. More to come.

------------------------------------
Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

That's correct. We are evaluating the placement of the new network. Fox has us working overtime right now with all of their channel changes. This is one of the busiest seasons for channel rebrands and launches I can recall. I rebrand is harder than a launch because it already lives somewhere and when the format changes it affects other channels in that package. More to come.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like best course will be to wait it out for a little bit and see what happens. Other options are available in the short term for the programming I'll be missing.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-08-2013, 08:26 PM

Why are (almost) all the channels below 1000 showing up as HD?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That has to be the greatest thing ever. Cable finally moving into this century. I will never understand why cable companies made HD channels different numbers than the SD. It never made any sense... and all the companies did it. Ironically, both satellite companies have pretty much always HD and SD on the same channel number, at least since it became mainstream. Hopefully this will eliminate the strange numbers local channels appear on with cable, too.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever63 View Post

Why are (almost) all the channels below 1000 showing up as HD?

Was this on a Motorola STB?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

Hopefully this will eliminate the strange numbers local channels appear on with cable, too.

Well, the local channels below 1000 are now showing as HD also. I personally don't care what numbers they are on, but I don't get why there are apparently duplicate channels now; all the (1000 + X) channels are also HD.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Yes; it's a DCH3416 (I think).
Old 09-09-2013, 06:47 AM

Are those channels actually coming in HD as well? Or does it just appear to be something up with the labels?

...fwiw, my DCH3200 at work (Business account) is not showing this.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese831 View Post

Are those channels actually coming in HD as well? Or does it just appear to be something up with the labels?

...fwiw, my DCH3200 at work (Business account) is not showing this.

They appear to be, will check again when I get home. My box was acting weird when I got home from vacation (like it was skipping through a recorded buffer), so I unplugged it to reset it, and after it rebooted was when I first noticed the "new" HD channels - though they may have been there before and I just didn't notice them. So I wonder if resetting the box had anything to do with it.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yes; it's a DCH3416 (I think).

Go into your set-up menus and turn OFF HD auto tune. See if this changes anything.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Go into your set-up menus and turn OFF HD auto tune. See if this changes anything.

That did it, SD channels are back. Thanks, I didn't know about that knob. Maybe it defaulted to on when I reset the box?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

That did it, SD channels are back. Thanks, I didn't know about that knob. Maybe it defaulted to on when I reset the box?

Either that or maybe the last firmware upgrade.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 AM

The iPad Contour app always defaults to the Home Shopping Network in the live view...yuck! It's not even in my profile favorites. So much for showing "a program we think you'll enjoy" - think again. Anyone know how to change this? Do I have to "train" it that I prefer other channels over time?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:25 PM

Hello,
My GF lives in Burrillville, RI and has had Cox cable for several years.
She has a HD box on the main HDTV but was also able to receive a subset of SD cable channels on her old TVs, using a D/A converter box, such as the USA and TBS.
Sometime in the last year, the two TVs w/o a cable box have stopped being able to receive these cheap cable channels.
Did Cox encrypt everything and eliminate free channels to TV's w/o a cable box?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 PM

Did anyone receive an invite to the Cox premiere of Game Of Thrones at Showcase Cinema in Warwick? I've been the past two years but didn't recall getting one this year, wondered if they're still doing it. Also, if anyone did get an invite and doesn't want to go, please contact me.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Was wondering if there was any updates as to any new offerings COX would be bringing us in the near future.

One thing I have noticed was I keep getting Verizon Fios Advertisements in the mail that include their full channel line up, and they have keep adding new HD channels all the time and have a lost more then COX Does.

I really haven't seen COX add any new HD channels for awhile now. And the only ones that I have noticed new, such as the "Out Door Channel" up in the 1400's somewhere, just tells me this channel isn't authorized on my TiVo.

I would love to see channels Like National Geographic Wild HD added to COX.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoR*Evanescence View Post
Was wondering if there was any updates as to any new offerings COX would be bringing us in the near future.

One thing I have noticed was I keep getting Verizon Fios Advertisements in the mail that include their full channel line up, and they have keep adding new HD channels all the time and have a lost more then COX Does.

I really haven't seen COX add any new HD channels for awhile now. And the only ones that I have noticed new, such as the "Out Door Channel" up in the 1400's somewhere, just tells me this channel isn't authorized on my TiVo.

I would love to see channels Like National Geographic Wild HD added to COX.
It's available both SD and HD (371/1371) here in San Diego. Part of the Variety Pak.

As far as the Outdoor Channel goes, do you subscribe to the Sports Pak 2? Does your TiVo receive 860MHz-1GHz H.264 programming?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
It's available both SD and HD (371/1371) here in San Diego. Part of the Variety Pak.

As far as the Outdoor Channel goes, do you subscribe to the Sports Pak 2? Does your TiVo receive 860MHz-1GHz H.264 programming?
My TiVo does receive 860MHz-1GHz and is receiving other channels in this range. As for H.264, COX has not rolled it out in this area. Everything is still MPEG-2.

And lastly, Sports Pak 2. I'm not sure if I subscribe to it or not. When I look up the package and is channels on cox .com, I get about 75% of the channels and the rest I don't. World Fishing Channel, Outdoor Channel and Outside Television are the only ones that say "Not Authorized".
Old 07-01-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My TiVo does receive 860MHz-1GHz and is receiving other channels in this range. As for H.264, COX has not rolled it out in this area. Everything is still MPEG-2.

And lastly, Sports Pak 2. I'm not sure if I subscribe to it or not. When I look up the package and is channels on cox .com, I get about 75% of the channels and the rest I don't. World Fishing Channel, Outdoor Channel and Outside Television are the only ones that say "Not Authorized".

How do you know that your 860MHz-1GHz HD channels are not H.264?

Regarding Sports Pak 2, you receive channels 488-491 OK?
Old 07-02-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is contour/ the plus pack avalable? those should be at least in the 1Ghz range if not also mpeg 4 which needs at least a cox contour box or Tivo Premiere or newer to access.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
Is contour/ the plus pack avalable? those should be at least in the 1Ghz range if not also mpeg 4 which needs at least a cox contour box or Tivo Premiere or newer to access.
Yes, contour plus are available and I get them on my TiVo Premiere.

The plus channels are coming in. Last time I checked them they were all MPEG-2, but I just checked again this morning and at least one of them is H.264, haven't checked them all so that seems to be working on my TiVo.

It just looks like COX needs to start adding HD Channels in RI. Looking at the channel line ups there are a lot more available in Arizona and California.

For example they all have the National Geographic Wild Channel in HD, and I know they have had it for at least a year as I have been requesting it for COX to add in this area. But we really haven't seen any new channels added in a long while here.

Last edited by LoR*Evanescence; 07-02-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Cox has it in the RI/CT area (as it has been said before). It's located on channel 1160.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
Old 07-02-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Cox has it in the RI/CT area (as it has been said before). It's located on channel 1160.

You appear to be right, it is there, but it's not listed in my tivo's guide what so ever as an available channel. There is no guide data for this channel.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
You appear to be right, it is there, but it's not listed in my tivo's guide what so ever as an available channel. There is no guide data for this channel.

it shows up in my guide with no problems. Seems this is a TiVO side issue.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
is check in the list of channels you receive on the tivo?