post #91 of 990 Old 11-19-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese831 View Post

After reading through some of the CableCard threads in the HTPC forum, I'm starting to think about going down that road. However, when I looked at Cox's site for info on CableCards, they say something to the effect of "2-way TVs (the assumption being you will be using their CableCard in your TV) do not exist yet, so if you want IPG and VOD you need a STB." 2-way CableCards do exist, and the relevant PC hardware supports 2-way as well; with that in mind, does Cox offer 2-way capable CableCards, or are they waiting for the specification to become more widespread before upgrading?

Cox doesnt offer two way cable cards, as far as I know they are still VERY rare if there are any available at all. They may later on, but only time will tell. What they are basically telling you is that if you go the cable card route then you will not have access to VOD or On Demand. Its a selling point for them to get you to rent the Cable Box.

As far as the other issue goes, it could be the headend, but I have a feeling something else is going on.....I have never had an issue getting guide data for TVGOS, so Ive never really had to troubleshoot it beyond going through the set up again (entering in my zip code). You may want to have a tech come out and troubleshoot it was well, I would expect if this would abe a widespread issue more people would be complaining about it.

Have you trtied inputting your Zip Code? Ive never done the all Zero thing and have always in putted my zip code or one close to me. If your in RI you should be able to use any Providence Zip and crab the Cox information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 990 Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

As far as the other issue goes, it could be the headend, but I have a feeling something else is going on.....I have never had an issue getting guide data for TVGOS, so Ive never really had to troubleshoot it beyond going through the set up again (entering in my zip code). You may want to have a tech come out and troubleshoot it was well, I would expect if this would abe a widespread issue more people would be complaining about it.

Have you trtied inputting your Zip Code? Ive never done the all Zero thing and have always in putted my zip code or one close to me. If your in RI you should be able to use any Providence Zip and crab the Cox information.

All zeros resets TVGOS so what I would do is put all zeros in for the zip code then run setup again and put in my real zip code. It worked before by putting in my zip code (02830), but I'l try putting in a providence zip code to see if that makes a difference.

It's just weird that it worked fine before the digital transition and then all of a sudden stopped working. That's why I have a feeling that maybe it's not on my end. Perhaps it's the model of the CableCARD?
post #93 of 990 Old 11-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Great news on Tennis HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

NEW Channel launch (RI/CT/MA) on 12/19:

Tennis HD - 782

Launch Date: Saturday, Dec 19th

11 NEW Channel launch (RI/CT/MA) on 12/16:

Starz Edge HD - 794
WE HD - 766
IFC HD - 778
G4 HD - 756
History Intl HD - 743
ESPN U HD - 780
Disney XD HD - 773
ESPN News HD - 781
Fuse HD - 757
Investigation Disc HD - 754
BBC America HD - 732

post #94 of 990 Old 11-20-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikein View Post

I feel it is indirectly related to DTV change, but then why would others in your area get it? Also, the change was months ago, and you received it since then, correct? I am not saying it isn't a cox issue, I just think it may still be resolvable on your end. Its like QAM. Cox changes it, but the solution is still on your end; rescan. I will go in early today and ask some people in the SOC. That's the closest real time access I have to a engineer. Can't post at work, so I will have a update around 10P. See you then.

I haven't received TVGOS data since about this time last year. Before, I had to hook up my tv to digital and analog cable to get a TVGOS signal. I can't do that now because there is no analog cable (as far as I'm aware).

The only thing between the cable outlet and my tv is this thing. I have no idea what it is but it was installed by Cox techs when I got my new tv. It was screwed into the tuner. http://members.cox.net/ian-horne/cox.jpg

My tv is a Pioneer 5010FD. Thanks a lot for the help I appreciate it!
post #95 of 990 Old 11-20-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post

Any word on TCM-HD.
Smithsonian-HD
MGM-HD
HDNet-Movies ???

I've heard nothing about any of those yet. I'll pass on the request, though.
post #96 of 990 Old 11-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:

It's a selling point, yes, I won't lie. But for good reason. Anyone that has experiance with cable cards knows first hand how glitchey they can be. Granted, alot of thet glitch derives from human error, there are still hardware issues.

On the upside, from the press releases, It is said Cox new guide will have a Tru2Way middle firmware. This may very well come with the ability to rent the new cablecard. I can't give specfic times, but I would be surprised if there wasn't some mention of it in the first half of 2010. Here is also something to wet your whistle on. I have NO idea if this is anything at all related to what cox is putting out. Its just one's companies ability to use Tru2way. Once again, this links comes from NO inside knowledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fcMirINLc

Tru2Way is still on the horizon, but a bit far off ('10) for me to really know anything at this point. The next steps for Cox are still whole home DVR, remote scheduling, and a new guide skin.
post #97 of 990 Old 11-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesterdaysdanish View Post

I haven't received TVGOS data since about this time last year. Before, I had to hook up my tv to digital and analog cable to get a TVGOS signal. I can't do that now because there is no analog cable (as far as I'm aware).

The only thing between the cable outlet and my tv is this thing. I have no idea what it is but it was installed by Cox techs when I got my new tv. It was screwed into the tuner. http://members.cox.net/ian-horne/cox.jpg

DM me with your town - I guess we haven't had any other issues like this reported. This will help narrow it down for us and hopefully we can help out.
post #98 of 990 Old 11-21-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:

First up, no update yet. Walked into the office I thought handled it and realized I was a complete idiot and had to get ask people in a completly different building. Sent that to a lead, who sent the email out around 2 so i am hoping I have a reply when I go in tommorow.

In the mean time, some questions:

Whats your signal strength?

1 Press HOME MENU.
2 Select “Tuner Setup” ( / then ENTER).
3 Select “Channel Setup” ( / then ENTER).
4 Select “Ant. A” ( / then ENTER).
5 Select “Signal Strength” ( / then ENTER).

I assume coax is into ANT.A. I also assume your not using the cable card? The picture you showed looks like a inline amp. Most are usually 20dhb, so if your +20-25, it really isn't needed and can be causing some problems. What does it say around it? 12-5,000 Mhz? If so, that could be a issue. Last, alot of channels we simucast. Meaning we broadcast in digital and analog. That's why when you do a channel search you pick up digital and analog channels. Now, the question is, is the host channel a digital channel or a analog simucast? Last, I found this link

http://digitaltransition.macrovision.com/digtrans.aspx

Looks like 2 stations. Also noticed Cranston one is lable rebuild and the page was updated 11/16/09?

PS. I feel your pain trying to get answers on this. Even my more technie coworkers gave me blank stares when asking around, but there's headway!

Signal strength fluctuates between 64, 71 and 78. This is on USA HD. Not sure if the channel would matter. CableCARD is installed as of right now.

The amp says EQF 12-54/1000 on it.

I'll trying taking the amp off and pulling the cablecard out. Maybe both will have an effect.

Yeah it's a frustrating issue. Not many people even know of TVGOS. I originally got the cablecard because I had TVGOS so I figured I didn't need a STB. I don't watch ondemand movies or anything so a I might as well save a couple bucks a month. What a pain it is to get this thing working properly.

EDIT: Figured I give you the model of my cablecard as well. Maybe that might help. It's a Motorola MediaCipher.
post #99 of 990 Old 11-22-2009, 02:06 PM

I'll give this a shot tomorrow and report back with the results.
post #100 of 990 Old 11-22-2009, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesterdaysdanish View Post

Hmmmm If its been since last year then the DTV switch would be out IMO Cox didnt mak the transition until later. I would think this may be a hardware issue (CableCard) related. The reason I say this is that I and others have been getting TVGOS data before and after the switch (although some needed to change the source channel). I guess I am just lucky where my tuner updated automatically or never needed to switch in order to keep up to date. If your TV has the option you may want to try a direct connection, just to be sure. IF your TV picks up the new data then we can say almost for sure that its the cable card causing your headache.
post #101 of 990 Old 11-23-2009, 01:19 PM

Ok I've tried the steps listed above and haven't received anything as of yet. I'll keep you updated.
post #102 of 990 Old 11-24-2009, 07:07 AM

All this fooling around with cable cards seems unduly complicated.
Cox had better get this simplified and reliable or they're gunna be selling peanuts for a living once Verizon comes to town everywhere in RI...
post #103 of 990 Old 11-24-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Also spoke with a lead today who had the same problem with his TV and a seperate incident with a customer in CT. We were able to get both resolved. In his case he has to disconnect the cable card from the TV completely, go cable ready, do a channel search, then wait 24 hours. Then he reinserted the cable card, paired it, and he was great.

Didn't receive any listings as of this morning. I'll try this and see if that works. By cable ready do you mean just hooking up cable to the tuner and nothing else?
post #104 of 990 Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post

All this fooling around with cable cards seems unduly complicated.
Cox had better get this simplified and reliable or they're gunna be selling peanuts for a living once Verizon comes to town everywhere in RI...

Juat a little FYI this is one issue out of many people who have Cable Cards. Also, if you think Verizon is without its own issues you have another thing comming to you when you get it. Any provider you choose you are going to have give and take here and there.

If you think the things we have been discussing is "unduly complicated" then maybe you should stick with rabit ears, all we are doing is BASIC troubleshooting. Verion is in most of the big service areas in Rhode Island, and so far I dont think Cox is hurting that much.

yesterdaysdanish,

By going cable ready he means to pull the cable card out of the slot and connect the cable directly into the back of the TV. Once you do this do a new search. After it picks up the new schedule then plug the CableCard back in and it should be able to pick up the new schedule. THis would also tell us if its the Card having the issues or your TV.

If your TV doesnt pick up the new schedule either then, there might and I stress might be something wrong with the tuner on your TV. I personally havent seen this before, but its always a possibility.
post #105 of 990 Old 11-24-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Juat a little FYI this is one issue out of many people who have Cable Cards. Also, if you think Verizon is without its own issues you have another thing comming to you when you get it. Any provider you choose you are going to have give and take here and there.

I've had FiOS on my main plasma since July and have had ZERO technical problems with it. I've had problems with billing and with the original installation since I bypassed the planned install and swapped the SD receiver for a HD receiver myself, in person. Verizon's left hand has no clue what their right hand is doing.
That said, their delivery of content has been 100% so far and I'm happy with that.
My second plasma is OTA and DVD only and I'm OK with that one also.
My GF lives in the NW corner of RI, hence my putdowns of Cox in the cable arena...
post #106 of 990 Old 11-25-2009, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=Ph8te;17594556]Just a little FYI this is one issue out of many people who have Cable Cards. Also, if you think Verizon is without its own issues you have another thing coming to you when you get it. Any provider you choose you are going to have give and take here and there.

The only problem I have with cox is not enough hard drive space on the DVR but as I can tell no cable co has a dvr with a hard drive bigger then 160 MB drive Ph8te is that because of Motorola is it cox? or is no one is doing it? the only thing I want is more hd not things like the tennis channel or sports hd thats just am not into sports. or they need get Tivo but thats just me and my two cents
post #107 of 990 Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 AM

[quote=ricomputerguy;17600344]
Quote:

Just a little FYI this is one issue out of many people who have Cable Cards. Also, if you think Verizon is without its own issues you have another thing coming to you when you get it. Any provider you choose you are going to have give and take here and there.

The only problem I have with cox is not enough hard drive space on the DVR but as I can tell no cable co has a dvr with a hard drive bigger then 160 MB drive Ph8te is that because of Motorola is it cox? or is no one is doing it? the only thing I want is more hd not things like the tennis channel or sports hd thats just am not into sports. or they need get Tivo but thats just me and my two cents

When the Whole Home DVR is released early next year, there will be options for increased storage capacity.
post #108 of 990 Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM

Still no guide info as of this morning. I'm losing hope. I'll keep the cablecard out for another day and see if get something. I might try factory reseting my tv as well to see if that has any effect.
post #109 of 990 Old 11-26-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:

I am just here to fix problems. Cox, Verizon, ATT; you give me a problem and I will do my best to help you fix it.

Yer not out of line, but the point is, Cox needs to pedal faster to keep up with FiOS.
One example: I'm a volleyball fan; I play it and I watch college VB on ESPN-U HD and Big10-HD some nights.
Well, the nights I'm at my place anyhow.
If I'm at the GF's place in RI, those two channels don't exist.
There's a SD version of ESPN-U on Cox 134, but her package doesn't include it.
FiOS HD Extreme includes everything except true premium channels.
This is just one example that comes home to me; I'm sure there are others...
post #110 of 990 Old 11-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Well it's been a couple days and I've gotten nothing as far as TVGOS is concerned. I think I'm running out of things to try.
post #111 of 990 Old 11-30-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought I would post this link. Comments welcome.

http://gadgetress.freedomblogging.co...e-in-oc/27921/

Is this the adapter I heard whispers about coming to the NE Market?

http://hd.engadget.com/2008/05/18/ha...dapter-mtr700/

Looks like it will be a DCT700 remolded and called the MTR700. I mention this here because it also points to a change in some channels to a EOD format.

While this or something like it may come to the NE market, this is not (IMO) the TiVO solution Cox is working on. The tuner device has been deployed for sometime now in other markets and there have been postes on it over at dslreports and I beleive in the Cox thread over in the HDTV Programming forum. This tuner just allows those with TiVO boxes to get HD channels, ect that they would not be able to get otherwise because of the channel delivery system.

yesterdaysdanish- I beleive that at the last point you had directly conected coax cable to you TV, if this is the case then you may have an issue with the TVs TVGOS tuner.

If this isnt the case, then you will need to take out the cable card and directly connect the coax cable to the back of your TV and try to get it to download the TVGOS information.
post #112 of 990 Old 11-30-2009, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good to know. I ran across it in the Orange Country forum, and it reinforced the info I had on possible eSATA support in the near future. Reading more about it though, I believe you are right. I think a lot of what they are going to do is still somewhat up in the air. Its a direction they "could" go though.

What did you mean by TVGOS tuner? As I understand it, it just used the tuner in your TV. I found a technical break down of the system here. This problem is more then just a Guide++ issue though. There was a change made to the system 11/15/09. I am not sure what that change was, and I am not sure if that change is related to YD's issue, but that is at the root of my investigation. If everyone is tired of me posting about it here, just speak up, and I will gladly take it off forum. Just trying to help.

The thing is yesterdaysdanish said that they have been having this issue since last year sometime, so it wasnt a recent change that caused the issue. I would also suspect that if it was a recent change that more people would loose thier guides and call in to complain. What I am basically trying to do is take the level 1 (hardware) issues out before anything else is tried. By bypassing the cable card and directly connecting it to the TV we can see if its his TV that is having the issue OR if it is the cable card having the issue. I have a feeling it may be the former, but time will only tell.

Even by your diagram there needs to be a TVGOS tuner in order to pick up the signal and display the guide. In most cases its either the TV or a DVR that carries this tuner to pick up the signal sent out. In my case it hasnt been interrupted since Ive had the TV, for yesterdaysdanish however, it seems that for some reason the signal was lost and cannot be retrieved.

IN any case, yesterdaysdanish may need to contact his TVs manufacturer or search thorugh the Display forums to see if others with thier TV are having similar issues.
post #113 of 990 Old 12-01-2009, 02:15 PM

I have scanned for channels without the cablecard in and have gotten channels. I tried with the cablecard out and plugged into ANT A and have gotten no TVGOS data after a couple days. I can try it plugged into ANT B with the cablecard out and see what that does.

I can give you a channel list if you need it. Not sure if that would help at all.
post #114 of 990 Old 12-01-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, until now it did not dawn on me that it had been happening for a year. When I look back, yes, it says it as clear as can be. Thank you very much for bringing that to my attention, for that does change things. If yesterdaysdanish scans CATV without the cablecard in place and gets nothing while others in his area do, I too would suspect his TV.

However, that creates a separate issue. And this is the issue I have had customers calling in about asking. Why can't we get channel marker info for analog stations? Hasn't really been a complaint, since its a minor issue, but its a issue none the less. I have tried on several TVs at different locations to no effect. My question is, before the DTV transition, did anyone get CATV channel info? How about OTA? Second question is does anyone NOW get CATV channel info or info OTA? I thought I remembered my TV getting it before, but it could be a false memory and this whole thing a wild goose chase. Could anyone confirm? Thanks

Ive already mentioned that I have and still do get the TVGOS (all available channels) data with only the coax cable plugged into the back of my TV . I use it when the DVR is recording 2 shows and I am unable to watch a third. I havent had any interruption to my TVGOS data.

yesterdaysdanish, if you are getting the TVGOS data without the cablecard plugged in then, it looks like it might be the cable card causing some type of interference. You may need it replaced or there might need to be something else done with it.

Just remember when you enter in your zip code, it should give you a pop up (at least mine has for the past two devices that have used TVGOS) and since you have the cablecard you should select the option that lists with a cable box as that will expand the selection to include digital channels.
post #115 of 990 Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 PM

What is the easiest and best way to open a plant trouble ticket without having to use those stupid voice prompt things?

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #116 of 990 Old 12-02-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Could you clarify? When you say channels do you mean cable ready picture? Or do you mean channel info, AKA TVGOS? The only reason I mention ANT B is in the manual it mentions when using a cable-card, you should use that connection since it has a wider channel spread.

I would still like to discuss my second point though. Did anyone get channel info, as in go to channel 6 and it says ABC, on analog station prior to the DTV transition? Second question is, does anyone else get that data now on analog stations, after shift? I get the data on digital, but not analog. This has been confirmed on 5 TV's in three houses, over three nodes. Is my memory just off and CATV never got channel data on analog?

Sorry about that. I mean cable ready picture. I have not received any TVGOS data as of yet. I'll try ANT B tonight and see if that has any effect.

As far as channel info, if my cablecard is out I don't get any of the channel names when I press the info button on my remote. When the cablecard is in I do get the info. If I remember correctly when I had my TV hooked up to analog I never got the channel info.
post #117 of 990 Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would still like to discuss my second point though. Did anyone get channel info, as in go to channel 6 and it says ABC, on analog station prior to the DTV transition? Second question is, does anyone else get that data now on analog stations, after shift? I get the data on digital, but not analog. This has been confirmed on 5 TV's in three houses, over three nodes. Is my memory just off and CATV never got channel data on analog?

Hmmmmm, not sure what you mean here as I stated before I have gotten TVGOS data before and after the DTV transtion showing all "analog" channels (expanded basic I beleive its called). Since I only use the TVOGs for when the DVR is recording two shows I dont have a need to show digital channels. All of the channels that do show hoever, do have their proper tag and information.
post #118 of 990 Old 12-02-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Broadcast engineer? I don't think that kind of discussion should be a public chat. Maybe PM one of the known Cox techs here?

It has nothing to do with the broadcast stations or anything like that.

I just need to get a ticket open on the feed that feeds my residence as one of the plant backup power supplies appears to not be working. I noticed the same thing at the station where I work as well, which is only about 3 miles from home, so I am thinking theyre related to the same supply with dead backup. Whenever the power goes out, the devices I have on backup power (cable modem, DVR box) lose the signal coming in from COX, and the signal stays out until the electric service is restored.

I was just hoping there was a way to go around those annoying voice prompts when calling to open a ticket.

If we have a broadcast issue with COX, I got the inside numbers to call to get them resolved. But the head end tech told me last night I need to go through the regular route to get a ticket open for a power supply failure.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #119 of 990 Old 12-03-2009, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

Tru2Way is still on the horizon, but a bit far off ('10) for me to really know anything at this point. The next steps for Cox are still whole home DVR, remote scheduling, and a new guide skin.

is tivo still in the works I hope?
post #120 of 990 Old 12-03-2009, 02:07 PM

Definitely. No release date as yet, but after the first of the year.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page