Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 990 Old 01-06-2010, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqAttaq View Post

I totally agree with U COX treats its customers like we r so stupid! Weather HD without Locals is great I could care less about the local on the HD feed. Verizon has it without the locals and it still looks great I can check my iPhone 4 the local weather or 2 the stupid RINEWS channel 5 wished we had New England Cable News but thats another story OK I am done venting I was so mad reading that post by the Cox rep BTW Cox has Weather HD in other states without local on the 8's just saying.....

Umm, I live in RI. Most of them are. Idiots that is. Nothing against RI though. Most people in the US are idiots. Look at popular culture, music, movies, etc. We live in a society where its trendy to be stupid and fat. Just thought I would match a rant for a rant. Honestly, everyone here is the only thing that stops me from shooting myself in the head at work. But don't let the actual intellegence in here fool you, its insane out there.

Anyway, I for one don't care. I just thought I would state their side of it since they can't and I am in a similar business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 990 Old 01-06-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomputerguy View Post

Ph8te not to be RUDE If you haven't heard FIOS is not in alot of places and
2nd it in some places but people in high rises can not get it even though its on the poll out side there building 3rd cox is lucky verizon is not everywere as it might bring take some cox customers away I hear from friends that have it They love it some don't but as tired of hearing goto verizon I can not and maybe I would I don't know. 4th "when I worked as a Cox rep many many years ago. I received a call one summer day when it was 80 something degrees and sunny out. A woman called and said her cable was out (there was an outage) she said "I have kids and please dont tell me to have them read a book or go outside". thats a great reason to you the HANG UP the phone!!!!! Yes I know the stupied calls you get I worked in a pet shop and I know your on that one. 5th yes I need more patience but do you know how nice it is to have 80 channels but the few channels you love have been in HD so long and still are not? HD from cox is great except the few channels we lack sorry ph8te if am rude please for give me. Thats way I quit the retail business stupied people you tell them something they do the opposite. Ph8te have a nice week

I don't even know what to say to this. I will choose to take the higher ground. A, you can't hang up on a customer in most call centers. My sister worked for Comcast and they had a whole rule book of things you can't do, and things you must do. Second, if you worked in retail, and know alot of people are stupid, then why don't you see their point? Third, they are adding new HD channels about every 4-5 months or so for free. Every channel is a constant struggle. The broadcasters fight for every penny, and that will only get worst. Case and point; ESPN 360. Finally, It's MHO that the Weather Channel can stay SD. It's for informational purposes only as far as I am concerned. If they invest in that, then maybe some other HD channel will be left out and I can think of so many better channels to turn HD.
post #183 of 990 Old 01-06-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Harry View Post

I don't even know what to say to this. I will choose to take the higher ground. A, you can't hang up on a customer in most call centers. My sister worked for Comcast and they had a whole rule book of things you can't do, and things you must do. Second, if you worked in retail, and know alot of people are stupid, then why don't you see their point? Third, they are adding new HD channels about every 4-5 months or so for free. Every channel is a constant struggle. The broadcasters fight for every penny, and that will only get worst. Case and point; ESPN 360. Finally, It's MHO that the Weather Channel can stay SD. It's for informational purposes only as far as I am concerned. If they invest in that, then maybe some other HD channel will be left out and I can think of so many better channels to turn HD.

yes you have a very very valid point but like am going to say yes your very right on a lot of what you stated I do see their but I am maybe one of many who hates to watch sports and a big news and learning programing type of person thank god for Discovery ID HD I felt that took too long to get along with MSNBC but thats just me I think as of know wow 80 HD channels that even took too long but love them all except the sports. They can not make everyone happy I guess Great valid point loved the input. I mean that and not in a RUDE way either
post #184 of 990 Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg02445 View Post

Are there any plans to add NECN or NECN HD when it launches later this month? I would really love to watch this channel, and FiOS has it, but isn't in my town yet.

I love it but don't expect as we do have the RINEWS channel and I belive we will never get it as long as we have RINEWS network I think I could be wrong is as long as RINEWS Network is on they can not get NECN Ph8te am I wrong with my thinking
post #185 of 990 Old 01-06-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I Hate the RINEWS Network but am sure alot of people love it or it still would not be on
post #186 of 990 Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM

rinews network is ok for the first half hour then your getting 5am traffic reports at 11 30 in the morning lol..and for what reason can't we have both??? we have msnbc cnn and fox why can't we have channel 6 repeat news and the new england news

for the price to watch tv every month we should get every channel there is
post #187 of 990 Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Well that is annoying. RINEWS sucks. NECN is a channel that I would actually watch. It's stupid that Cox is one of the only cable systems in all of New England not to carry our local cable network. I'm switching to FiOS the second it comes to my area! I'm just fed up with Cox. With double the HD channels it will be well worth it!
post #188 of 990 Old 01-07-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:

yes you have a very very valid point but like am going to say yes your very right on a lot of what you stated I do see their but I am maybe one of many who hates to watch sports and a big news and learning programing type of person thank god for Discovery ID HD I felt that took too long to get along with MSNBC but thats just me I think as of know wow 80 HD channels that even took too long but love them all except the sports. They can not make everyone happy I guess Great valid point loved the input. I mean that and not in a RUDE way either

Your point was a valid one as well. I hope mine, in no way, seemed to demean yours, for that was not my intention. I can sympathize with the frusteration you feel, since I feel something about the Cox's home page, but I would open up that can of worms here. It just comes down to sometimes you don't feel as if you have a voice, and your just having to eat what they feed you. And THAT is something I very much get. Cheers.
post #189 of 990 Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I see CT getting SWRW
from what i can guess some sort of radar weather
i bet its better then pinpoint weather I miss local weatherscan by the weather channel
post #190 of 990 Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Your point was a valid one as well. I hope mine, in no way, seemed to demean yours, for that was not my intention. I can sympathize with the frusteration you feel, since I feel something about the Cox's home page, but I would open up that can of worms here. It just comes down to sometimes you don't feel as if you have a voice, and your just having to eat what they feed you. And THAT is something I very much get. Cheers.

wasn't demeaning at all
post #191 of 990 Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When will Cox simply drop the wasteful analog channels which are already simulcast in QAM digital (thus using up even more precious bandwidth)?

I know there are many reasons Cox is delaying this switch, such as how people would be furious if they were forced to use even a $1/month basic digital cable box on their TV that used to get 70 analog channels with just 1 simple cable. Most TVs purchased in the last few years can already decode QAM digital TV that's sent in the clear, so many of these customers won't even need a box, since their TV is already using the digital channels.

But for Cox to compete, they need to drop the analog channels. After all, Cox wants everyone to "enjoy" digital cable so they have OnDemand and other future interactive TV.

It may be in their best interest to phase out analog to get a higher percentage of their subscribed TVs access to all the great digital content they are advertising.

When's the last time you saw a Cox commercial for Extended Basic analog service?
post #192 of 990 Old 01-07-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATPTourFan View Post

When will Cox simply drop the wasteful analog channels which are already simulcast in QAM digital (thus using up even more precious bandwidth)?

I know there are many reasons Cox is delaying this switch, such as how people would be furious if they were forced to use even a $1/month basic digital cable box on their TV that used to get 70 analog channels with just 1 simple cable. Most TVs purchased in the last few years can already decode QAM digital TV that's sent in the clear, so many of these customers won't even need a box, since their TV is already using the digital channels.

But for Cox to compete, they need to drop the analog channels. After all, Cox wants everyone to "enjoy" digital cable so they have OnDemand and other future interactive TV.

It may be in their best interest to phase out analog to get a higher percentage of their subscribed TVs access to all the great digital content they are advertising.

When's the last time you saw a Cox commercial for Extended Basic analog service?

it won't be IMO till 2013 at least their keeping it because not everyone has a digiital yet am sure it will happen but will be a very long time till they do remember we have the largest elderly population who have not got digital tvs yet and they don't want to upset them
post #193 of 990 Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:

Hah! If you thought TWC would cause a problem at the call center...hahaha. When this happens, I pity Cox, like I pity Comcast workers now. I would not be surprised if people start throwing silly lawsuits around. Do you know that alot of people actually thing it's the cable's company's legal obligation to provide digital cable to everyone for free? I agree with your point on freeing up bandwidth. But I can't think of any selfish reason Cox would want to stay CATV. None of their competition offers it, least on the East Coast.
post #194 of 990 Old 01-08-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hah! If you thought TWC would cause a problem at the call center...hahaha. When this happens, I pity Cox, like I pity Comcast workers now. I would not be surprised if people start throwing silly lawsuits around. Do you know that alot of people actually thing it's the cable's company's legal obligation to provide digital cable to everyone for free? I agree with your point on freeing up bandwidth. But I can't think of any selfish reason Cox would want to stay CATV. None of their competition offers it, least on the East Coast.

the selfish reason is they get to keep people or get folks who do not want a box
post #195 of 990 Old 01-08-2010, 10:36 AM

did cox change the qam channels in the past day or two? I had to rescan and now Im not picking up fox or cbs anymore. Im also getting a couple new channels that I never picked up before like create and wgbh world.
post #196 of 990 Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:

I think at first we (and other cablecos) valued the marketing message that "you don't necessarily need a box." But as is abundantly clear, the population that is interested in that selling point is rapidly dwindling.

People are, in general (not just with regard to cable TV), becoming less attached to the idea of "this is how it's always been, so that's how I want it to stay." But as Hard Harry said, that will drive an incredible amount of call volume.

One of our major goals as a company to allot as much bandwidth as possible to new HD channels.
post #197 of 990 Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous View Post

did cox change the qam channels in the past day or two? I had to rescan and now Im not picking up fox or cbs anymore. Im also getting a couple new channels that I never picked up before like create and wgbh world.

Nothing changed. Have subsequent rescans produced the same results?
post #198 of 990 Old 01-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:

the selfish reason is they get to keep people or get folks who do not want a box

Can't say I fallow the logic. They would probably profit more from telling people they need a receiver. If people get a receiver in their house its alot easier to up sell. Plus its frees up a bunch of bandwidth. The reason I just thought of is because they know the amount of field work they would have to do to wire houses for digital. And customer demand would probably require a waive of the installation charge.Some of those houses out there have 30-40 year old wiring. Works fine for CATV but add a receiver in there..forget about it.
post #199 of 990 Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Can't say I fallow the logic. They would probably profit more from telling people they need a receiver. If people get a receiver in their house its alot easier to up sell. Plus its frees up a bunch of bandwidth. The reason I just thought of is because they know the amount of field work they would have to do to wire houses for digital. And customer demand would probably require a waive of the installation charge.Some of those houses out there have 30-40 year old wiring. Works fine for CATV but add a receiver in there..forget about it.

There are a lot of homes that have insufficient lines for carrying some signals (especially HD).
post #200 of 990 Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 AM

Hi eveyone I heard That On Feb 1st. 2010 that the Hallmark Channel Is Going HD is thire any chance we will get it on Feb 1st. or shortly thire after that and what is the word on a new gudie ?

Thank You
Matt
post #201 of 990 Old 01-18-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceWelkMH View Post

Hi eveyone I heard That On Feb 1st. 2010 that the Hallmark Channel Is Going HD is thire any chance we will get it on Feb 1st. or shortly thire after that and what is the word on a new gudie ?

Thank You
Matt

don't hold your breath we never get channels when they come out look at the weather channel for and example We don't have that there excuss is no local on the 8s we waited 5 monthes for cnbc ect done venting the guide I hear is later in the year
post #202 of 990 Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Have any of you compared the Cox bundle to that of Fios? I currently have DirecTV and phone and internet through Cox. I just got a new flat screen and I want HD. Dtv no longer has Versus and the occasional outage has me looking elsewhere. I called both and the prices seem comparable. I've heard Fios has the better pq and more HD channels. I hate to give up my Tivo but I do like the option of On Demand. Any feedback is appreciated.
post #203 of 990 Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkbyKO View Post

Have any of you compared the Cox bundle to that of Fios? I currently have DirecTV and phone and internet through Cox. I just got a new flat screen and I want HD. Dtv no longer has Versus and the occasional outage has me looking elsewhere. I called both and the prices seem comparable. I've heard Fios has the better pq and more HD channels. I hate to give up my Tivo but I do like the option of On Demand. Any feedback is appreciated.

GIVE UP TIVO GO WITH COX DVR some cons but with COX DVR no need of a phoneline I hate cox dvr because of the harddrive 160 gb but there working on better dvr I am trying hang in but everytime I think about returning both cox DVR I quickly Change my mind very fast. I personlly hate cox on there hd but i guess I got to remember there hd is free except the box rental. I don't like the fact they don't carry WGN HD or THE Weather Channel but other then that go with cox not outages due to the weather
post #204 of 990 Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Word of caution, please do your homework and include other threads!
post #205 of 990 Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 AM

A question for the forum's COX guy. Why can't one get program information more than 7 days out on the "Guide"? As one who travels a lot, and sometimes for 10 days or more at a time, I cannot program my Cox DVR more than 7 days out.

I know; it's been that way forever. And programs that I want to record are not "series" events that would permit me to program "First Run" editions. This aggravating issue is not new and I know it's been discussed before. The lack of advancement in recording and programming technology is frankly very frustrating, given the ever-increasing costs of monthly service. You continue to toss customers bones consisting of "new" second-rate HD channels that I don't want, yet ignore basic improvements in equipment features. What's your crystal ball telling you that you can share with us - in order to keep me interested as an ongoing customer? Sorry for the rant, but this COX business as usual approach is wearing on my patience. Way too much cost for too little value.
post #206 of 990 Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesF in NK View Post

A question for the forum's COX guy. Why can't one get program information more than 7 days out on the "Guide"? As one who travels a lot, and sometimes for 10 days or more at a time, I cannot program my Cox DVR more than 7 days out.

I know; it's been that way forever. And programs that I want to record are not "series" events that would permit me to program "First Run" editions. This aggravating issue is not new and I know it's been discussed before. The lack of advancement in recording and programming technology is frankly very frustrating, given the ever-increasing costs of monthly service. You continue to toss customers bones consisting of "new" second-rate HD channels that I don't want, yet ignore basic improvements in equipment features. What's your crystal ball telling you that you can share with us - in order to keep me interested as an ongoing customer? Sorry for the rant, but this COX business as usual approach is wearing on my patience. Way too much cost for too little value.

I beleive youll find that the "7 day" rule is to prevent the least amount of changes in the guide data. Also, with thier current provider I believe that is all that is available. It was explained some time ago, but I dont feel like searching the old Cox thread.

If the program is on, and you know it will be a new episode, then you can always tag a old episode and just set it to record the show any time its new. For sports however you are SOL.

Supposedly this year Cox will be launching remote DVR scheduling. So that even if you are away you can set up a recording via Cell Phone\\internet.

I dont mind the week out personally as most of the programs I watch are series related or I can just set the DVR to record a new episode when its on.

You can always switch to Tivo or a different provider if its that big of a sticking point.
post #207 of 990 Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I beleive youll find that the "7 day" rule is to prevent the least amount of changes in the guide data. Also, with thier current provider I believe that is all that is available. It was explained some time ago, but I dont feel like searching the old Cox thread.

If the program is on, and you know it will be a new episode, then you can always tag a old episode and just set it to record the show any time its new. For sports however you are SOL.

Supposedly this year Cox will be launching remote DVR scheduling. So that even if you are away you can set up a recording via Cell Phone\\internet.

I dont mind the week out personally as most of the programs I watch are series related or I can just set the DVR to record a new episode when its on.

You can always switch to Tivo or a different provider if its that big of a sticking point.

Hmm, good tip with tagging a old episode. Its only come up for me a couple times, and that never dawned on me.

On a some what related subject, where on the receiver is the guide stored? Is it stored in the flash? I ask because I know one of the big changes with the DCX is more flash, could this be for a better guide? More data,better looking, more features, and/or/etc. Or is any of it stored on the drive with a DVR?
post #208 of 990 Old 01-23-2010, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:

Hmm, good tip with tagging a old episode. Its only come up for me a couple times, and that never dawned on me.

On a some what related subject, where on the receiver is the guide stored? Is it stored in the flash? I ask because I know one of the big changes with the DCX is more flash, could this be for a better guide? More data,better looking, more features, and/or/etc. Or is any of it stored on the drive with a DVR?

This is just a guess as I am not into the tech specs, but I believe the Guide is "stored" on the HD. The Flash memory is used as a buffer, for loading data quickly ect.

Youll probably find mroe info in the hardware section of the forums....
post #209 of 990 Old 01-26-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can relate on the Versus problem -- but if PQ is of primary importance I'd stick with Directv. Beats the doors off Cox's HD service -- my folks have Cox and it's certainly alright, but it does not compare favorably to the crystal clear MPEG4 channels on Directv. The larger your set, the more you will notice an appreciable difference there. As far as the outtages go, I didn't have one in 365 days last year -- is your dish in a bad location or not pointed properly? I'd look into that first before bailing.

I have not seen Fios, though...if I dumped Directv (which I wouldn't do because of the sports) I would probably try Fios because Cox's service is OK but is not overwhelming in its picture quality or selection...IMO of course.

The one thing I will say is Cox's internet in south county has been, outside of an occassional outtage somewhere that causes an intermittent slowdown, quite excellent now for several years running. They seemed to "raise their game" on the internet end of things and I'm satisfied with their service.
post #210 of 990 Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

I can relate on the Versus problem -- but if PQ is of primary importance I'd stick with Directv. Beats the doors off Cox's HD service -- my folks have Cox and it's certainly alright, but it does not compare favorably to the crystal clear MPEG4 channels on Directv. The larger your set, the more you will notice an appreciable difference there. As far as the outtages go, I didn't have one in 365 days last year -- is your dish in a bad location or not pointed properly? I'd look into that first before bailing.

I have not seen Fios, though...if I dumped Directv (which I wouldn't do because of the sports) I would probably try Fios because Cox's service is OK but is not overwhelming in its picture quality or selection...IMO of course.

The one thing I will say is Cox's internet in south county has been, outside of an occassional outtage somewhere that causes an intermittent slowdown, quite excellent now for several years running. They seemed to "raise their game" on the internet end of things and I'm satisfied with their service.

MPEG-4 by itself gives no bonus over MPEG-2 in PQ. Yes, it is more efficiant, but you can get comparible bps from both standards. Now you may have a case that DTV has a higher bit rate, since Cox compresses more into a single QAM channel, but I would like to see the data on that. Here is a good breakdown of MPEG-4

You have your experiences, and your opinion, and I respect that however. I would like to bring one point to the table that is not discussed that often. To my knowledge, the self install rates are very low for Direct TV. Much lower then that of Cox, and cable for that matter. I think this leads to a lot of less then equal comparisons. This may be because the average self installer hooks it up, and if it works, walks away. This has to have a huge impact on average PQ comparison. Thoughts?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page