Eureka, CA - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
addicted_to_HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd reach out to some TV viewers on the North Coast. I live in the Chico-Redding DMA, but I have visited the North Coast a number of times and thought I would like to get some discussion going. I realize that this is a very small market and three of the local stations in Eureka are either fully or partially controlled out of Redding or Chico.
addicted_to_HD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
addicted_to_HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a little knowledge of the local stations I have to my understanding:

KIEM-DT Ch. 3 (NBC) - Broadcasts on VHF 3 and is based completely in Eureka and airs the only source for local news on the North Coast. It has a few drawbacks though, it does not air any HD programming, it does not multicast, and the newscasts are showing signs of significant aging.

KUVU-LP Ch. 9 (The CW) - Managed by KVIQ/KBVU and is not a local channel. It is solely a satellite feed of the CW with local commercials and local branding.

KEET-HD Ch. 13 (PBS) - Broadcasts on VHF 11 and is based completely in Eureka. It is high definition and has PBS World on its DT2 subcarrier. It is not related in any way to the larger KIXE Ch. 9 in Redding, CA.

KVIQ-HD Ch. 17 (CBS) - Broadcasts on UHF 17 and is mostly based in Eureka, but some of it is based in Chico. It is managed by KBVU of Eureka, which in itself is half-way based in Chico. It airs some of KCVU's syndicated programming and airs a lot of its own programming. It does not air local news as KCVU does not originate any local news and KVIQ also airs CBS programming in HD. It is not related in any way to KHSL of Chico, which is financially troubled and not owned or managed by KCVU. It was formerly on analog ch. 6 and rebranded to ch. 17 in November of 2008, a similar move by sister station KBVU (29 > 28) and cousin KCVU (30 > 20).

KAEF-DT Ch. 23 (ABC) - Broadcasts on UHF 22 and is based out of Redding. It is a partial satellite of KRCR Ch. 7, but pre-empts its news, slightly changes the syndicated scheduling, and airs all of KRCR's network and most of it's syndicated programming. Unlike KRCR, it is not HD in any way, but is working on either making it a full-time repeater of KRCR in HD or adding HD capabilities to the same setup it has.

KBVU-HD Ch. 28 (Fox) - Broadcasts on UHF 28 and is partially based out of Chico. Partial satellite of KCVU Ch. 20, but slightly changes the syndicated scheduling. Like its bigger brother in Chico it is in HD and airs ThisTV on DT2. It was formerly on analog ch. 29 and rebranded to ch. 28, a similar move by its parent station KCVU (30 > 20) and its sister station KVIQ (6 > 17)

KEUV-LP Ch. 31 (Univision) - Based in Chico and is going digital soon.

KEMY-LP Ch. 33 (MyNetworkTV) - Called "Northern California's MyTV" and is a group of three low-power stations (Redding, Chico, and Eureka) and is completely based in Chico, CA. Like the other two MyTV stations in Chico and Redding, it is going digital soon.

PM any changes, updates, questions, concerns, or problems you have to the Eureka AVS Forum.
addicted_to_HD is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
addicted_to_HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KIEM:

3.1 - NBC

KEET:

13.1 - PBS HD
13.2 - PBS World

KVIQ:

17.1 - CBS HD (Suddenlink Ch. 6 SD/706 HD)

KAEF:

23.1 - ABC (Suddenlink Ch. 7)

KBVU:

28.1 - Fox HD (Suddenlink Ch. 2 SD/702 HD)
28.2 - ThisTV (formerly MyTV)
addicted_to_HD is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Member
 
jacknimble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Addicted to HD, I appreciate the post and would like a little help. Recently, I moved to Eureka and have been getting by with just being able to see CBS and CW but now I would like to get the other main channels. After searching the forum for recommended antennas I have come to the conclusion, after trying one that was supposed to have a decent rep, that antennas work differently in each area.
Since you may have friends in Eureka I am hoping you might be able to give me some insight on an indoor antenna or a small outdoor. Right now I use an old radioshack model that tunes in both UHF and VHF and it has a dial for signal enhancement. It worked well in Spokane WA but obviously not as well here. I have thought about trying to find a Philips Manta90 to mount outside but have not been able to locate one in town. What I can and can't receive is listed below.

KIEM-DT Ch. 3 (NBC) - NOT Received
KEUV-LP Ch. 31 (Univision) - NOT
KAEF-DT Ch. 23 (ABC) - NOT

KUVU-LP Ch. 9 (The CW) - Tuned in
KEET-HD Ch. 13 (PBS) - Tuned
KVIQ-HD Ch. 17 (CBS) - Tuned
KBVU-HD Ch. 28 (Fox) - Tuned
KEMY-LP Ch. 33 (MyNetworkTV) - Tuned

Thanks
jacknimble is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 09-24-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
addicted_to_HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknimble View Post

Addicted to HD, I appreciate the post and would like a little help. Recently, I moved to Eureka and have been getting by with just being able to see CBS and CW but now I would like to get the other main channels. After searching the forum for recommended antennas I have come to the conclusion, after trying one that was supposed to have a decent rep, that antennas work differently in each area.
Since you may have friends in Eureka I am hoping you might be able to give me some insight on an indoor antenna or a small outdoor. Right now I use an old radioshack model that tunes in both UHF and VHF and it has a dial for signal enhancement. It worked well in Spokane WA but obviously not as well here. I have thought about trying to find a Philips Manta90 to mount outside but have not been able to locate one in town. What I can and can't receive is listed below.

KIEM-DT Ch. 3 (NBC) - NOT Received
KEUV-LP Ch. 31 (Univision) - NOT
KAEF-DT Ch. 23 (ABC) - NOT

KUVU-LP Ch. 9 (The CW) - Tuned in
KEET-HD Ch. 13 (PBS) - Tuned
KVIQ-HD Ch. 17 (CBS) - Tuned
KBVU-HD Ch. 28 (Fox) - Tuned
KEMY-LP Ch. 33 (MyNetworkTV) - Tuned

Thanks

Winegard HD-4400 - http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?prod=HD-4400 (UHF antenna but works very well in the VHF range)

Antennas Direct DB4 - http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=AD-DB4 (great for receiving UHF signals over long distances)

You should be able to receive KAEF and KEUV-LP without a problem with these antennas.

Do not be surprised if you get interference noise on KUVU, especially if it goes digital. It can clash with KIXE in certain areas of Humboldt county.

I can assure you that you will have a lot of trouble with KIEM no matter what antenna you use, it broadcasts on RF ch. 3 in low-VHF range which is extremely prone to electrical interference. That is sad because that is basically your only "local" based commercial station and is the only station in the area to broadcast local news. I see no chance of the Chico/Redding NBC affiliate setting up a satellite station in Eureka, because they and their sister station (which is a CBS affiliate) is on the brink of bankruptcy and is one of the most poorly run and least viewed stations in our area. I actually wish the CBS station in Chico was a repeater of KVIQ, it (KVIQ) is co-owned with Fox (KCVU/KBVU) so it is possible.

I may be able to contact KRCR (parent station of KAEF) and request that KAEF be changed to a full-time repeater of KRCR, including our newscasts from Redding. They may be able to throw in a few news stories and share the weather forecast with Eureka. That will give you another source of local news, which is actually #1 in our area. If they start a regional newscast for the Northstate and the North Coast, it will leave KIEM light years in the dust.

If you need to contact KRCR/KAEF, call (530) 243-7777, or post a message to Ray Smith (Ray4x4x4), the chief engineer of KRCR on the forum.

If you still have trouble, Suddenlink offers basic cable for around $15 per month. They offer KBVU (Fox) and KVIQ (CBS) in HD. Here is their lineup:

2 - KBVU 28 (Fox) - Essentially KCVU from Chico
3 - KIEM 3 (NBC)
5 - KEMY-LP 33 (MyTV) - shared with MyTV in Chico/Redding
6 - KVIQ 17 (CBS)
7 - KAEF 23 (ABC) - Essentially KRCR from Redding
9 - KUVU-LP 9 (CW)
13 - KEET 13 (PBS)
78 - KEUV-LP 31 (Univision) - Satellite of Chico affiliate

Also, request from Dish or DirecTV for Chico/Redding locals, they are nearly identical to Eureka.
addicted_to_HD is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
addicted_to_HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I just want to keep the forum up to date a little more. From what I heard, KVIQ has now dropped HD and added MyTV to its DT3 subcarrier, as KEMY-LP is having trouble transitioning to digital. The stations in Redding and Chico (except KHSL and KNVN) are now airing a few commercials from the Eureka area now and then.

BTW, post any info on Dish or Direct adding Eureka locals or adding Redding/Chico to Humboldt County and/or adding Medford/Klamath Falls locals to Del Norte county.

KBVU-DT2 (This TV) is also now on Suddenlink digital Ch. 199
addicted_to_HD is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 12-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Member
 
Ray4x4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jacnimble,

Any time you move from one area to another, be sure to completely clear all of the prior channel information from your receiver (perform a return to factory settings reset).

Reception on the coast side can be very tricky, so a number of translators are used in a small geographic area. This can cause signal overlap.

Unfortunately, the DTV receivers currently in use do not behave the same when they see two of the same virtual channels.

Some will show both the native (broadcast frequency) as well as the virtual channel information. So for the case of KAEF, it would be displayed as 22-23.1 (main transmitter) or 45-23.1 (Bay Street translator).

Some will show two of the same virtual channel without the native channel indicated (23.1 and 23.1).

Others will only display one of the same virtual channels and do not allow you a choice of which one. (23.1)

Others will allow you to choose between different virtual channels but may not give you any indication as to which signal is the strongest.
Ray4x4x4 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 12-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Member
 
Ray4x4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let us not forget that the Erueka market includes Crescent City. Charter Cable which gets Eureka stations off air as well as via microwave links.
Ray4x4x4 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
addicted_to_HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray4x4x4 View Post

Let us not forget that the Erueka market includes Crescent City. Charter Cable which gets Eureka stations off air as well as via microwave links.

From what I've heard you can get most of Medford's stations off the Brookings translators in Crescent City too, in fact many of Medford's stations are increasing their coverage area to better include Crescent City.

One or two Medford channels are on Charter while no Dish/DirecTV locals of any sort are available in any part of Del Norte county. This problem with no satellite locals in the Eureka market really get's old.
addicted_to_HD is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 12-27-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bwclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Redwood Empire
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Paul Johnson, Engineering@sainte.tv


RE: Eureka Broadcasting CBS Channel 17-1
Stats: Using a DirecTV HR20-100 receiver. Concerns recording playback issue.......


Perhaps you can look into this issue as it pertains to your Channel 17-1 here in Eureka, CA. This has been occurring since about May 2009.
I have reproduced a post I made in the DBSTalk.com forum concerning an issue with the recording playback of your Channel 17-1.
This issue only occurs when playing back a recording made of Channel 17-1. I have recorded other OTA (over the air) channels and this does not happen.

Here is a post in the DBSTalk.com forum requesting help with this issue. The last post suggests the problem lies with your broadcast PSIP setup glitch? Can you check?

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=170189


Basically, when I playback a recording of 17-1 AND use either the FF or 30 sec skip functions eventually the time will step ahead to the end of the recording time(often jumps around) and at some point the end of recording menu will popup asking if I want to Delete or Keep the recording (all before the actual end of the recording). This issue can be repeated for the same recording and location of occurence. It is repeatable, and there have been only a few occassions when it did not happen. My signal strength with your Channel 17-1 station broadcast is 90% via my OTA antenna.
bwclark is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 04-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Member
 
Ray4x4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KAEF was off air due to a recent close encounter with a lightning strike at the main transmitter site.
Charter of Crescent City was not affected as they are able to use the direct digital feed from KAEF microwave path.
Suddenlink did not have the equipment needed for the direct digital feed and had a frozen "Judge Judy" for the duration of the KAEF off air outage.

The good news is that KAEF is back on air and that Suddenlink should be getting their direct digital equipment within a few days.
Ray4x4x4 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 06-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Member
 
Ray4x4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KAEF-TV, Eureka is now broadcsting ABC network programing directly in full 16x9 720p HD video.
Ray4x4x4 is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This topic has now been added to the main US Thread Index. Hopefully it will be easier for others in this area to find it.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bwclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Redwood Empire
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Paul Johnson, Engineering@sainte.tv


RE: Eureka Broadcasting CBS Channel 17-1
Stats: Using a DirecTV HR20-100 receiver. Concerns recording playback issue.......


Perhaps you can look into this issue as it pertains to your Channel 17-1 here in Eureka, CA. This has been occurring since about May 2009.
I have reproduced a post I made in the DBSTalk.com forum concerning an issue with the recording playback of your Channel 17-1.
This issue only occurs when playing back a recording made of Channel 17-1. I have recorded other OTA (over the air) channels and this does not happen.

Here is a post in the DBSTalk.com forum requesting help with this issue. The last post suggests the problem lies with your broadcast PSIP setup glitch? Can you check?

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=170189


Basically, when I playback a recording of 17-1 AND use either the FF or 30 sec skip functions eventually the time will step ahead to the end of the recording time(often jumps around) and at some point the end of recording menu will popup asking if I want to Delete or Keep the recording (all before the actual end of the recording). This issue can be repeated for the same recording and location of occurence. It is repeatable, and there have been only a few occassions when it did not happen. My signal strength with your Channel 17-1 station broadcast is 90% via my OTA antenna.



THIS STILL OCCURRING AFTER TWO YEARS....KVIQ 17-1 ugh.
bwclark is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off