Question: HDTV signals - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-17-2002, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just want to make sure I understand the form of the data signal from HDTV transmission source to the TV set (via component inputs).

- High-Def TV data is transmitted via in digital form (DTV) to the STB via satellite, OTA, etc.
- Within the STB, the digital signal is converted into three separate analog signals (component out in this case).
- The RPTV set accepts analog signals via component inputs

If this is the case, then are there end-to-end systems that keep the HDTV signal in digital form from satellite to TV without the conversion to analog? What are the upcoming protocols that are being pushed by the various stakeholders in this regard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-18-2002, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by shrewdinvestor
are there end-to-end systems that keep the HDTV signal in digital form from satellite to TV without the conversion to analog?
I believe (guess) that a TV that has pixels that can be addressed digitally would completely circumvent the analog signals. That would be any LCD (or plasma) display.

Rear projection, front projection, and direct view tube require some analog signal to steer the streams of electrons that light the screen. That is the way I see it, anyway.

I don't know about the DLP technology that some of the high-end projections use.

#include stdsig.h
post #3 of 4 Old 02-19-2002, 07:26 PM

Liked: 10
I might be wrong here.. but there are Digital Monitors for monitors right now. SInce computers convert digital video to analogue video. then monitor converts the anaologue back to digital to display it. So you can cut out the middleman in the way. this is just on REAL high end video cards at the moment though. I'm sure in the future we will see this come to Television but I have not heard anything yet.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-20-2002, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Suggest you run an all-forum search on (Samsung, DVI, LCD). Some members have explored a digital interface (DVI) to Samsung's 1200X1920 LCD 240t monitor. -- John
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page