setup/calibrate a Tosh 50h81?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-18-2002, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I'm having a Toshiba 50h81 delivered tomorrow and was wondering if I should have purchased the "Best Buy Performance Service plan." I've gotten a couple of times before and have never used them. Actually, I feel suckered every time I do get one.

Do I need one for the 50h81? The sales rep. at Best Buy said the TV will need adjustment once a year along with a cleaning. And that it's $180 for a tech to come out and do it or $300 for Best Buy's plan which lasts for 4 years.

He also said that using a play station or xbox will blow out the tube?? I'm serious.

Anyway, the TV already has a one year warranty.

The biggest question is: can I make the adjustments myself? I really don't know what adjustments they're talking about, besides color, brightness... the usual. Perhaps it will need aligning. Is that possible on my own? Do I need the service manual for it? (http://www.john-oliver.net/video/50H81.pdf)

What's been your experiences?
Thanks
Jim
Jackson Institute for Science in Metrology
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-19-2002, 07:31 PM

If you know what you are doing the service manual can be a great thing! If not you could screw it up worse.. the tech they send out to do it.. will not do a true calibration like a ISF tech, If there warranty will cover a ISF tech to come out every year I would say go for it.. but I seriously doubt that. X-box blowing the tube.. I never heard such a load of #$#$ in my life. You can burn in a tube if you leave the same image on it for a LONG period of time.. like on a 4x3 television always running it at 16x9 or visa versa.. you could notice a burn in on the tube after a while..

Honestly though, do you think they sell the warranties to lose money? THey sell them to make money, since probably 90% of them no person ever calls in a claim.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-20-2002, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply.

About that burn in, I called tech support about changing the vertical gray bars to black on my 16:9 tosh when I have it set to 4:3 mode. (The gray is too bright for me.) Tech support said that they stay gray to avoid burn in, as reported by "a few users." It would seem the brighter shade would be harsher than black. I asked why isn't the horizontal bars gray too? They said horizontal bars don't cause a burn in problem. Strange to me.

Jim
post #4 of 5 Old 02-20-2002, 12:42 PM

I was told something similar when I got my 4:3 projection set. They said that "burn-in" would be more of a problem with a widescreen set displaying a 4:3 image than a 4:3 set displaying a wide-screen image. I get the impression that a whole lot of factors come into play.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-21-2002, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First of all, nobody has ever told me exactly what 'adjustments' the 'technician' makes at these yearly visits! If anybody has ever witnessed one of these visits, I'd love to hear the details!

If you are going to consider this, read the fine print carefully. Some of the contracts use this annual check-up as an escape clause. You are actually required to schedule an annual check up and if you miss one, your entire extended warranty is null and void! I'm not saying that Best Buy's contracts are like this, but it's certainly something worth checking out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page