Boise, ID - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-29-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just outside of Boise proper out toward the eastern edge of Eagle, in a valley.

I have a 116" yagi antenna in my attic, with a UHF/VHF mast preamp (27dB gain), and I distribute everything through a DirecTV (Zinwell) SWM-8 switch which has an OFF_AIR input for diplexing atop the DirecTV signals.

Knowing I'd be using an STB of some sort, I opted to not get a TV, so saved the cash and got a monitor instead (a Westinghouse Digital LVM 37w1), so no ATSC tuners.

I get my local channels through my HR-20 DirecTV STB, which includes an ATSC tuner (one of the few).

The issue is this: I get 96-100% on all channels except KTRV (Fox 12), which I don't get at all. Zero. Even KKJB (39) and KNIN (CW 9) come in well.

All Boise stations transmit from the same tower at Bogus Basin. I don't have line-of-sight.

I can't figure out why one of them wouldn't come in when all of the others do.

I have three theories.

(1) DirecTV is sending out the wrong frequency/pid information for ATSC, and causing my tuner to look in the wrong place.

(2) Because 12 is close to the cut-off of VHF, some filtering being done in either the preamp, the switch distribution amp, or the STB itself is attenuating channel 12. Although I did try hooking the antenna up directly to the STB with no preamp and no distribution switch, and no joy... so the preamp and switch are probably not the problem.

(3) KTRV sends a beacon that my receiver for some reason doesn't recognize.

I'd have to throw an analogue scope onto a lead and see if there's carrier or not, but I haven't had time or inclination.

When the stations were simultaneously transmitting NTSC and ATSC (i.e. 4, 6, and 7 were on 21, 22, and 26) I was getting the UHF channels just fine (except KTRV). Now that they are back in the VHF range, I'm getting all of them fine... except KTRV.

Does anyone else receiver local channels via an OTA antenna (i.e. an R20 or HR20) in Boise that doesn't have issues with Fox12?

Or am I missing something entirely obvious, and the problem is elsewhere?

BTW: Here's a related thread on the DirecTV forum... I can't post a link, but the postID is 10610553...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-27-2010, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wasn't looking at the time you posted this, so I don't know whether you are still checking.

However, I currently am using RCA flat panels on each of my sets, and I find that I have to put them at different locations to get Fox than to get any of the other channels.

I strongly suspect that Channel 12 is broadcasting from somewhere else -- it's just different. When I put the antenna where I get the strongest picture on Channel 12, I lose some of the lower VHFsignals.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
This topic has now been added to the main US Thread Index. Hopefully it will be easier for others in this area to find it.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 6 Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I bought a 42LD550 for my bedroom that for now is OTA only. I'm having some motion artifacts (stutter, refresh artifacting at the point of the motion, mainly sports or graphics coming in and out). It's very inconsistent from station to station. CBS is the worst for refresh artifacting and NBC prime-time is the worst for stuttering. It's fairly prevalent and as often as I see it makes me think the LG thread would be full of folks mentioning it if the TV was the issue.
For those of you that have had more OTA HD viewing time...does your LCD have stuttering issues with a certain networks more than others or refresh artifacts? For me, it's obvious with sports on CBS but I'm not sure with other programming. I'll preference this by saying the picture quality is pristine if you don't take the motion issues into consideration. Any thoughts?
post #5 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

So I bought a 42LD550 for my bedroom that for now is OTA only. I'm having some motion artifacts (stutter, refresh artifacting at the point of the motion, mainly sports or graphics coming in and out). It's very inconsistent from station to station. CBS is the worst for refresh artifacting and NBC prime-time is the worst for stuttering. It's fairly prevalent and as often as I see it makes me think the LG thread would be full of folks mentioning it if the TV was the issue.
For those of you that have had more OTA HD viewing time...does your LCD have stuttering issues with a certain networks more than others or refresh artifacts? For me, it's obvious with sports on CBS but I'm not sure with other programming. I'll preference this by saying the picture quality is pristine if you don't take the motion issues into consideration. Any thoughts?

We watched the grammys on CBS Sunday night on OTA HD and it was terrible. I am about to send a note over to KBOI looking for answers. Now that CBS has NFL again it has been very noticeable.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 AM
mgh

I notice that this thread appears close to death. I'm moving to Nampa in the near future and am somewhat disappointed by digital tv prospects and providers. Does anyone know why CableOne limits you to 3 television hookups?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page