HD anxiety? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-25-2002, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This may be a silly question but does anyone else get HD anxiety?

I happen to be on of the biggest cheerleaders for HD, and of course I've told hundreds how great it is. I've given demo's in my home and even try to help retailers and businesses understand it. But sometimes, after I read some mainstream article on HDTV this kinda anxiety hits me like "people just don't get it" or " the masses may not buy into it" then I kinda get this doom and gloom anxiety thing going... Am I the only one?

I guess it stems mostly from the lack of understanding why something that is so marvelous isn't just unanimously embraced by every entity on the planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-25-2002, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think it is just alot of money for some people, and they worry that if they buy now, not only might something cheaper and better come along soon, what they have now might not even work.

It is a hard sell to the average consumer.

It will take off, though. Don't despair.

Best Regards,
Doug
post #3 of 13 Old 02-26-2002, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are all "out there flapping in the wind" with our HT/HDTV purchases, but fear not it has to happen. Revolutions take time to start but once they get rolling watch out. Now if only Copy protection and the MPA would just go away :)
post #4 of 13 Old 02-26-2002, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
see, you guys are giving me anxiety;)
post #5 of 13 Old 02-26-2002, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

I completely understand the feeling. Occasionally I will read an article about some negative aspect of the HDTV transition and my heart will sink. Then I read about how many analog HD displays have been sold and I become reassured.

You see, I _really_ believe that for HDTV to succeed the use of a Digital STB will require the ability to view HD material through an analog connection like most HDTV's today. I am still worried about the future of HDTV itself since I feel quite strongly that if the "downrezzing" feature takes hold in future STB's it will be the death knell for HDTV.

Us early adopters will become jaded (are we already?, I think I am) and will find it hard to spew an additional ~$5000 or so for a DVI/Firewire only STB/HDTV combo just to keep what we once already had. I won't do it and I suspect most other early adopters will not either.

So as I see it, it is either HDTV in the clear (at least from STB to display) or none at all. I'm betting HW manufacturers will say "bite me" to hollywood and will satisfy our desires. They are in business to make money, not to sit idly by and watch an unfullfilled market just die. It just won't happen.

It will not be the first time they have done it. They gave us computer CDROM drives that could rip CD digital audio didn't they - and copy protection for CD's _was_ already in the standard. The HW mfrs. just decided to ignore it. Making MP3's would be pretty hard to do without being able to rip CD's.

I believe Hollywood want's to kill HDTV because of the threat to _theaters_ and they are betting that copy protection will do it (and it could). But the interesting part is will consumer pressure be enough?

Anyway, at least we have DVD's to watch (and some HiPix saved files if you have one) if HDTV dies. But I have a hard time believing it will.

The Idiot.

The Idiot
post #6 of 13 Old 02-27-2002, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
More often here it's HDTV-related 'last-mile fiber/cable-bandwidth' anxiety. Don't follow the sky-is-falling HDTV gloom-and-doom discussions that closely because HD is steadily expanding.

But, since I'm mostly limited to urban cable reception, my concern is whether HDTV expansion will even reach my set's component jacks.

Most cable companies have been sluggish in providing HDTV. Congress and the FCC have avoided HDTV must-carry cable laws/rules for years. Cable firms cite the constitution and bandwidth limitations among other reasons for restricting must carry and HDTV.

Since HDTV currently requires about 5 times as much cable bandwidth as ordinary TV (delivered in a digital format), many older, smaller-capacity cable firms undoubtedly don't have channel space. Fiber-upgraded cable firms have almost unlimited channel space through their optical fibers since add-on modules can expand bandwidth with different light wavelengths. My cable company, as I outlined in a 02/07/02 post , could theoretically deliver over 67,000 HDTV channels using only two of its 288 optical fibers!

But within my building, and for most cable systems, the 'last-mile' of hybrid fiber/coaxial-cable systems have amplifiers that limit channel capacity. Although newer silicon-germanium amplifier replacements could double bandwidth, hopefully cable companies will adopt fiber-to-the-home, eliminating the electronic bandwidth bottleneck entirely. -- John
post #7 of 13 Old 02-27-2002, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

hdtv_moron,
I like the pic.. b, how much d you weigh.. "Who me.. Im 6'4 285 pounds baby"

:D

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-27-2002, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

4' 8", 220lbs (???:))

:cool:

The Idiot
post #9 of 13 Old 02-28-2002, 11:08 AM

I think a lot of damage is done to the 'cause' by mass merchandisers. They employ people who don't understand the technology, show displays that are not calibrated or set up correctly, and often display a poor demo. In Houston, all they'd have to do is connect to TWC and show the CBS or PBS loop. But, do they do it? Of course not.

The sales people are poorly trained so they can't answer questions to dampen buyer anxiety with a new technology. It's really sad.
Leslie
post #10 of 13 Old 03-01-2002, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hdtv_moron
So as I see it, it is either HDTV in the clear (at least from STB to display) or none at all. I'm betting HW manufacturers will say "bite me" to hollywood and will satisfy our desires. They are in business to make money, not to sit idly by and watch an unfullfilled market just die. It just won't happen.
HDTV_moron, good bet. I just read the other day that Intel is taking a stand against Hollywood as you can read in this article in the San Jose Mercury News. I hope more and more companies take a stand.

Josh
post #11 of 13 Old 03-03-2002, 09:32 PM

I am also vexed about how little attention is paid to HDTV. Our new local NBC affiliate NBC3 (they are cable channel 3 and broadcast Ch 11) did not even list that they were broadcasting the Olympics in HD until I emailed their webmaster with a schedule from a Detroit NBC affiliate. Our local newspaper (SJ Mercury News) technology editor thought they had about the right coverage because he had written something about HDTV in 2001. The paper's TV section to date does not list the channel numbers for OTA broadcasts. Even the local HDTV sales rooms seem to be avoiding using their rooftop antenna to pick up OTA HDTV broadcasts that are readily available. At my location in SJ I can pick up stations from Sutro Tower 50 mi away in SF, from the Fremont hills in the East Bay and from Mt Loma Prieta (NBC) with a simple rooftop antenna and a rotor. The stations have spent millions, the product is fabulous, prices are dropping, quality is improving and OTA is free once you have the gear. I attribute the lack of atttntion to
1. Cable cannot carry HDTV w/o huge last mile capital and years to build it.
2. Dish/DirectTV are only HBO and one other channel - no network feed.
3. OTA broadcaster don't hype HDTV because it is in a sense competing with themselves. The NBC HD Olympic coverage on Ch 12.1 had fewer commercials sold causing some dead space where commercials could be -- the networks benefit more from folks watching the low definition side with more commercials.
4, OTA HDTV is complicated without guidance. What is Channel 12.1? What kind of antenna? How tall? need a rotor? What stations can I pick up?
5. Satellite and TVio complicate the choices.

I think the solution has to be word of mouth. Jaws drop when they see real HDTV of sports and shows like 24 or movies in 1080i with Dolby 5.1. So keep having your friends over and they will get it just like I did when I first saw color TV.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-03-2002, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dickkcid
I am also vexed about how little attention is paid to HDTV. Our new local NBC affiliate NBC3 (they are cable channel 3 and broadcast Ch 11) did not even list that they were broadcasting the Olympics in HD until I emailed their webmaster with a schedule from a Detroit NBC affiliate. Our local newspaper (SJ Mercury News) technology editor thought they had about the right coverage because he had written something about HDTV in 2001. The paper's TV section to date does not list the channel numbers for OTA broadcasts.
dickkcid,

I also live in San Jose and I can't believe no one knows anything about HDTV. I can pick up a dozen digital channels crystal clear when most of them didn't even come in in NTSC. How do we get the newspaper to write more about HDTV? It's almost like it doesn't exist. I thought this was silicon valley. Probably has a lot to do with everyone having cable nowadays. I guess word of mouth is the key. I have gotten a number of people interested at work this way.

Josh
post #13 of 13 Old 03-07-2002, 08:01 AM

and that's why I haven't purchased yet. I was on the verge, and am still so tempted. But the engineer part of me is telling me that the manufacturers and content providers aren't done yet. I know that the DVI/Firewire controversy isn't over yet, and I hope it flops. But it just seems to be too much of a risk at the moment. Every article I read (online and in Home Theater, for example) says to wait. But what am I going to do? Buy a 36" tube to wait it out? That would be a real downer.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page