Man banned from buying any Sony product - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-27-2002, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check out this story about a man from So. Cal and his bad luck with his 3 big screen Sony TV's.

Banned by Sony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-27-2002, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm still waiting for a product I'd want to buy from SONY.;)

I wonder if this was a provision in the settlement for that guy who spill McDonalds coffee on himself then sued for million. Probably still eats there. Lawyers are ______
post #3 of 16 Old 02-28-2002, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

HAHA:D

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-28-2002, 09:33 AM

Some of us poor young folk have very few options when it comes to things such as, let's say.. progressive scan DVD players.. I had to mortgage my soul in order to buy a 16x9 RPTV, and have nothing but a few cracker crumbs left with which to purchas a progressive scan player, which is an absolute neccessity if I want to truly appreciate my RPTV's ability to reproduce 480p. Sony makes good product for us po' folks, but one day I will rid myself of the Sony... "stuff" !!!!

BTW, the Mitsubishi WS 55819 is fantastic (to my untrained eye)

"It seems my hypocracy knows no bounds"
post #5 of 16 Old 02-28-2002, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One thing that I can't understand Sony's stand on stating that it was an act of God that the salt ocean air destroyed the guy's TV. It's known fact in the electronic industry that salt air is corrosive to exposed wiring/connectors. That's why most OEM equipment uses gold or some other non/low oxidizing connector/wire for exposed stuff. How can you say it's an act of God if it is happening on a continuous basis? I thought "an act of God" was a once in a life time event where no one would have expected it happen!
post #6 of 16 Old 02-28-2002, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robby Cee
Some of us poor young folk have very few options when it comes to things such as, let's say.. progressive scan DVD players.. SNIP
BTW, the Mitsubishi WS 55819 is fantastic (to my untrained eye)
$200 is not a lot of money for a non-Sony Progressive DVD player. They are abound in this day and age. And yes, my Mits was also fantastic to my untrained eye until I put an Avia DVD into the DVD player. Now, I need an ISF person to come and repair the sloppy factory settings.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-01-2002, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

That is one of the funniest stories I have read in a long time.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #8 of 16 Old 03-01-2002, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

This guy must be a royal pain in the ***. He might have some valid points, but if Sony is insistant about banning him from their products, they must want to be finished with him forever. Not a typical move for a reatail-oriented company to behave. I guarantee you this guy is a a handful.
baimo
post #9 of 16 Old 03-01-2002, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I bet there are operating and storage humidity specs. in the TV's manual, that this guy's living room doesn't meet, what with a continuous stream of westerly ocean breezes.

Not that I'm crying too much for him. This must be a $2+ million place.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #10 of 16 Old 03-02-2002, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If Sony had/has specs for operating and storage why didn't Sony use them for denying the claim. They use the excuse of "An Act Of GOD". That claim doesn't fly.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-02-2002, 11:23 AM

'An Act of God' needs to be proven if you ask me. One should have to PROVE God's existence in a court of law in order to claim the entity committed and act therein. How lame is this!?!

They could have better said, 'acts of nature, including but not limited to lightning, flood (rising water), hurricane, salt air, volcanic flows, wild or domestic fires, earthquake, and the like.' Bringing the unproven to be an excuse is about the most lame thing I would have imagined.

I don't think I could bring myself to buy a Sony product based on this level of absurdity. Speaks volumes of idiots in the ranks and in their legal counsel.

And yes, I told my previous insurance agent off when I read that 'acts of god were in the policy'. I would have to be equally, if not more, absurd by saying that "my God didn't do it, and your God did. Make your ***king God pay for the damages!" :D:D:D
post #12 of 16 Old 03-02-2002, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Not to side with sony nor the gentleman in question, but all sony's products do have environmental condition guidelines in their owners manuals. Sony too the wrong tack stating "act of god" when in fact it is "customer misapplication" in question. Further isnt it awful some of us dont have such problems ( eg Salt air spray in my $1,000,000 beach house is causing...yadda yadda ). If salt spray in his home is that bad then I could easily see dry rot problems in his future. Will he blame the contractor who built the home when it succumbs to the elements, time will see.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-02-2002, 07:17 PM

DTCmac, don't get me wrong. Anyone living on the ocean (coastal areas) should know that no one in the electronics industry is going to cover damage resulting from weather conditions. If a consumer wishes to be the moron and not acknowledge the fact that salt air WILL damage metal then sobeit.

Personally, I find fault in Sony for claiming an 'act of God', and fault on this consumer for abusing a legal loophole. I think Sony won in this case because they will never have to deal with this one ass again.

Still, until Sony gets of its religious high-horse, nothing will come into my home. As for this consumer, he can stay away, too! :)
post #14 of 16 Old 03-03-2002, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
.....Personally, I find fault in Sony for claiming an 'act of God', and fault on this consumer for abusing a legal loophole.....
WanMan has a problem with the term GOD being used in our government and business laws and contracts. Unfortunately the term "Acts of God" is an accepted use that is recognized by business, government and our courts as a term describing exceptional but natural phenomenen( lightning, hurricanes, etc).
I am an atheist and am also not to fond of terms such as these being used in a legal capacity, but thats life.
baimo
post #15 of 16 Old 03-03-2002, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like he should have purchased the sealed yellow resin "sport" model.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-06-2002, 08:10 AM

Given Sony's stance on copy protection, DVI, fair use, etc., I would not take a Sony product for free.

The only real power I/we have as consumers is to vote with our pocketbooks. So I choose to vote no to any organization that supports virtual elemination of my fair use rights. I choose not to give my money to Sony so they can use it to buy more politicians.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page