Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 220 Old 07-06-2010, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

Oddly I still have some higher channel Spanish stations, EWTN and the Jewish channel, but besides that it's all OTA stations in SD and HD.
Still CC at least provides WGN and a (somewhat) stable signal strength.

Utilizing BCT (bent coathanger technology) I tested what OTA stations I can receive. Pretty much the same stuff. A few weren't as stable as I like, but it's nice to see the program info working (Comcast strips that).

I decided instead to rewire my system, so I can receive the remaining QAM channels, and receive the DTA signal via a line in.
This of course makes for 2 DTA's in on the same TV system (for 2 different recorders).

Tried to activate this DTA today (after holding it for several months), was given a run around, bounced around and even told that the DTA had "reached its expiration" (no kidding).

Anyway, neat idea. I wanted to use a second DTA on the same system. Here's how:
One DTA box is used normally.
The second one has the front sensor covered and the sensor extension cord attached. I then TAPED the sensor extension right over the front of the second remote.
I now have the remote sitting on my system and all it does is change the 2nd box's channel. I should post pics, it's damn funny.

Doctor M
I found that you can pretty much get the same channels offered by CC, in their limited basic tier, by just hooking up a multidirectional indoor tv antenna. The free over the stations, (which include All the Major Networks in HD, ION, ION LIFE, CW, MY 33, S FL, Create, Florida, WLRN, PBS, several Spanish language, and religious stations+ a few others I can't remember) all come in with clear reception. I also live in Margate, and I have found that CC scrambled (by compressing the signal), the channels above 25 about a week and a half ago. It doesn't pay to get the basic tier (only CSPAN and WGN are added to what is already FREE to receive maybe) for almost $25/month. You can get just about everything for free with an RCA indoor flat panel antenna -(a $30 investment). The only trouble I'm having with my hook up, is getting ABC (WPLG )and WSVN-7. These two stations are tricky to find. They use an upper band (and I think VHF) signal. I can use the RCA antenna to get them on a small 7" portable set, but I'm having trouble getting them in (no signal found) on my 32" HDTV set. I plan on trying an antenna with a better signal gain....I'll let you know what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 220 Old 07-06-2010, 07:34 AM

Of Note- CC charges almost $25 (with taxes included) for NOT WORTH IT limited Basic Service. Their next tier up goes straight to $57 for Expanded Basic Service. While Expanded really adds a lot more channels, it sure adds (more than doubles) a lot more cost. You think CC could find a way to offer single family homes something between 25 & 57 dollars!
post #93 of 220 Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 AM

The RCA ANT 1400 Flat Antenna (cost $30) and works very well with a digital converter box to receive ALL the Free Over The Air Stations- Including VHF broadcasts (WPLG 10 and WSVN 7). I can't seem to get these two VHF stations on a 32" HDTV with a built in QAM tuner however.

I hope people will rethink getting CC's limited basic service when you can receive just about everything they're giving you for free over the air.***It comes in perfectly with digital clear reception too!***Don't give CC 25/monthly when everything except WGN and CSPAN are there for free to everyone with an indoor antenna.
post #94 of 220 Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
WPLG and WSVN are VHF. Since the change over to digital they were allowed to go to higher power output which has improved reception (at least for me). Still, they are more difficult to receive than just about anything else.

You may want to try WFLX (Fox 29 out of West Palm). Comcast used to carry it, but doesn't now, even though I can get it with an antenna.

I live somewhere that buys the basic in bulk, so I don't pay (directly).
Do they really charge $25/mo for the Limited Basic package and $57 for the Digital Economy? Holy crap that is insane.

Btw, according to the program chart on their website, HD versions of 7 OTA stations ARE included in the Limited Basic (which explains why I receive them on the QAM band in the clear)... but they sort of have to or you are really getting screwed.

--
(this space for rent)
post #95 of 220 Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just a quick update, I'm currently receiving World Fishing Network in 2 places.
SD version (channel 727) on 85-3
HD version (channel 391) on 113-1

I currently can't find WPXM-35 in the clear anywhere.

--
(this space for rent)
post #96 of 220 Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:

WPLG and WSVN are VHF. Since the change over to digital they were allowed to go to higher power output which has improved reception (at least for me). Still, they are more difficult to receive than just about anything else.

You may want to try WFLX (Fox 29 out of West Palm). Comcast used to carry it, but doesn't now, even though I can get it with an antenna.

Do they really charge $25/mo for the Limited Basic package and $57 for the Digital Economy? Holy crap that is insane.

Btw, according to the program chart on their website, HD versions of 7 OTA stations ARE included in the Limited Basic (which explains why I receive them on the QAM band in the clear)... but they sort of have to or you are really getting screwed.

I just returned the $30 RCA Multi-directional antenna because RABBIT EARS work to receive All the FTA stations in this area. I contacted Channel 10, and their chief engineer recommended I try rabbit ears......I couldn't believe it but, the old pair I saved from over 20 years ago brought in the two VHF channels (7 & 10) that the new flat panel RCA antenna couldn't. The picture is just as sharp and clear, EVEN IN HD, as it was with CC.
Yes, it's true that single family home owners pay over $21 plus tax (that's almost $25) for limited basic...the expanded is the next tier and the price jumps to just under $60 with taxes included. The limited basic is a GIANT RIP OFF since the only things you'd be missing from CC are WGN, CSPAN, HSN, and QVC. All the same QAM HD signals for the major networks are FTA (Free To AIR). I still am amazed that the old technology works so well with the newest technology. Good-Bye CC limited basic and monthly bills for FREE CLEAR reception with RABBIT EARS!
post #97 of 220 Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@Anneinfla - The reason lotek works so well is because VHF and UHF are still the same frequencies they always were. All that has changed is the content being delivered over those frequencies.

All the years of antenna know-how since the invention of the radio and TV has gone into those rabbit ears you are using. Digital broadcasts don't change the laws of physics.

They just figure they can repackage cheap antennas, slap "Digital TV" on them and convince people to rebuy what they don't need.

UHF works well with a loop antenna. As such a wire coat hanger bent into a circle with alligator clips can work extremely well (but rabbit ears are best for VHF).

Speaking of lotek... I've been using an old Jerrold analog box as an RF demodulator (passing the RF DTA output into the Jerrold (tuned to channel 3) and then using the RCA outputs from the Jerrold box).

Tonight I got Com-blocked. Now all the Jerrold box shows is a black screen with the text "Welcome to AT&T Broadband".

Anyone know how to reset, or work around their blocking? It's really obnoxious (and I don't relish what a phone call to their brain damaged tech support will be like tomorrow).

--
(this space for rent)
post #98 of 220 Old 07-13-2010, 06:21 AM

Got a message on my box this morning to the effect that on July 20, from midnight to 6:00 AM they will be updating the guide and there could be an interruption of service of up to two hours!

Does anyone have any idea what this update is all about? We already have the new A28 guide and I have heard nothing of another update!

The other strange thing is that they are only providing one weeks notice; usually they make it four to six weeks. Rather strange!

Cheers!
Bryan

If you are interested in Model Railroading check my web site; Alligator Lines!
post #99 of 220 Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 AM

I guess the update is a maintenance release.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r244...enance-Release

Cheers!
Bryan

post #100 of 220 Old 07-15-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

My observation as to what to expect. We spend half time in our Aventura condo and half time in Oakland, Ca. .
About 8 months ago, Comcast in much of the Bay Area, converted to the World of More (WOM). Tons of HD channels. A few HD channels are an East coast feed, meaning on the west coast we can watch Jon Stewart and Colbert early in the evening. It also meant that virtually everything, except the lower channels is encrypted. We did get a free DTA box. We also have had an HD DVR box. Tha DTA does NOT permit you to get HD. To get an HD feed to your 2nd (3rd etc.) screen you need to rent (not cheap) an HD box from comcast even to get just the local OTA channels (which we rarely watch anyway). In Aventura we do have 2 DVR boxes. We haven't been informed when WOM is coming there. (At least a/o a few weeks ago.)

...mike

Does anyone know when we can expect WOM in Pompano Beach area?
post #101 of 220 Old 07-19-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:

I use rabbit ears for WSVN & WPLG and my reception is great. I have a problem with WTVJ and (to a lesser extent) WFOR which I know are both UHF. Their signals keep pixilating and going out. I have adjusted my indoor antenna (Turk VHF/UHF) every which way and I still have the problem.
I've just about given up on WTVJ. That problem is constant and I just use cable to watch and record that channel. WFOR's problem happens less frequently. If anyone knows of an antenna (indoor) that works well in an area with trees, can you let me know?
post #102 of 220 Old 07-20-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/consum...ewing-feature/

Comcast XFINITY service offers South Floridians AnyRoom DVR Viewing feature
by: Daniel Vasquez July 20th, 2010 | 12:22 PM

Today Comcast announced the launch of XFINITY AnyRoom DVR viewing, recording and scheduling features for South Florida customers.

What is it? The AnyRoom DVR feature allows customers to view any DVR recording – including HD – in any room with up to three boxes in a home. The feature also allows HD service on up to four device, the flexibility to watch different recording on different TVs at the same time and full DVR functionality (schedule or delete a recording, change recording options, use slow-motion function, etc.) on your primary AnyRoom DVR.

Dad, that means you can start watching a recording of the game in one room and finish it in another (you know, when the kids come home and your wife wants to hijack the main TV for them, etc.).

Additional equipment is required for AnyRoom DVR service. For more information, visit www.xfinity.com or call 800-934-6489.
post #103 of 220 Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Can't get it on either HD DVR. We are in 33180 (Aventura). A call to CS indicated some people are having problems. She then tried to "hit" us after having us do a "plug pull" No luck. Set up a service call for Tues. PM.

...mike
post #104 of 220 Old 09-05-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:

WPLG and WSVN are VHF. Since the change over to digital they were allowed to go to higher power output which has improved reception (at least for me). Still, they are more difficult to receive than just about anything else

Are you implying that they were UHF? They have always been VHF as their channel numbers have been 10 and 7 respectively for forever.

Is anybody in the Broward county area able to get channel 44 which is RetroTV, OTA? I don't know why Comcast hasn't added it.
post #105 of 220 Old 09-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat84 View Post

Is anybody in the Broward county area able to get channel 44 which is RetroTV, OTA? I don't know why Comcast hasn't added it.

I heard that WHDT Channel 44 (9-1 on the display) will be at full power sometime this month to be received OTA. Lord knows when Comcast will pick it up.
post #106 of 220 Old 09-05-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat84 View Post

Are you implying that they were UHF? They have always been VHF as their channel numbers have been 10 and 7 respectively for forever.

I've never heard of ch.44. I'll have to plug some ears in and check (Comcast doesn't seem to carry it).
As far as UHF/VHF is concerned, major stations in the past have been VHF (like WPLG 10 and WSVN 7) when analog.

Digital television is predominantly broadcast over UHF frequencies. WPLG and WSVN are the only two stations that have continued to utilize VHF in this area.

That pretty much means in addition to a UHF antenna you will need a VHF antenna just for channels 10 & 7.

For further discussion of this, you may want to go to this thread. It is for Miami area OTA discussion rather than cable.

Btw, my last scan of QAM showed Tennis and World Fishing Networks in the clear both in SD and HD. Also something else new in Spanish I can't identify, TeleAmerica and something that is always bar codes with some cryptic text message across it (ATM it says CDOC Uplink HD.)

--
(this space for rent)
post #107 of 220 Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It's been very quiet in this thread. Any new HD channels coming to Comcast.
post #108 of 220 Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 AM

Wondering the same thing. Anyone know when Comcast plans to add more HD channels in the North Dade/Aventura area?
post #109 of 220 Old 01-13-2011, 05:20 AM

I have not heard of any new additions around here but Comcast did, last December, add 50 new HD channels in Philadelphia bringing them up to 150 HD channels. They included BBC America HD, DIY HD, Ovation HD, PBS Kids Sprout HD and Smithsonian HD . See this link: http://www.cedmagazine.com/News/2010...total-150.aspx

I read elsewhere the new HD additions included the Cooking Channel and (I believe) PBS Create.

When CC starts something new we usually get it around the halfway mark of the country. This can mean anywhere from six to 12 months. Plus, for some reason the usually upgrade Broward before Miami Dade.

FWIW

Cheers!
Bryan

post #110 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I know Margate, Tamarac (and probably most of Broward) is getting Xfinity beginning in February. Lots of new stuff and changes.

--
(this space for rent)
post #111 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:

I know Margate, Tamarac (and probably most of Broward) is getting Xfinity beginning in February. Lots of new stuff and changes.

I'm not quite sure about what you mean by "getting Xfinity". Plantation has been receiving the "World Of More" since last May! 100 HD channels. But as you may expect, we only watch a relatively few of them on a regular basis.

But I have to say we (my wife and I) are looking forward to both the Cooking Chanel and Ovation in HD!

Cheers!
Bryan

post #112 of 220 Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 PM

World of More was renamed to XFINITY, which is supposedly available in my area. The only non premium HD channels that have been added over the past year that I've seen are all local channels. Just The CW, MyNetwork TV, Telemundo, Univision, and Telefutura.

I have Digital Starter through my HOA. There is still quite a list of Channels that aren't available in HD but I can get in SD.

Not Yet Available in HD in my area
The Weather Channel
CNN Headline News
MSNBC
CNBC
Spike
TV Land
Nickelodeon
Travel Channel
E!
Bravo
Comedy Central
MTV
VH1
BET
Galavision

CSPN3
Investigation Discovery
Biography Channel
History International
Style
Cartoon Network
PBS Kids Sprout
Hallmark Channel
Movieplex
G4
TV One
EWTN
Bloomberg
TruTV
Hallmark Movie Channel
Comcast Sports Southeast
Mun2

So I'm waiting to see when they become available in HD in the North Dade/Aventura area. It seems that ortegaj, who posted on the first page, has all these in HD and he is in Davie.
post #113 of 220 Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 AM

I also have all those channels in HD here in Plantation!

Cheers!
Bryan

post #114 of 220 Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 PM

Yeah, I don't know whats going on for the North Dade/Aventura area. I'm still able to get all the cable channels 2 througho 79 on my old tv without a box. Just straight coax cable from the wall to the TV. So I don't think they've even gone all digital in my area.
post #115 of 220 Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post

Yeah, I don't know whats going on for the North Dade/Aventura area. I'm still able to get all the cable channels 2 througho 79 on my old tv without a box. Just straight coax cable from the wall to the TV. So I don't think they've even gone all digital in my area.

Lucky you.

--
(this space for rent)
post #116 of 220 Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post

We are in Aventura also and get all the channels w.o. a converter on our extra bdrm. screen.. When Comcast changed to "all digital" in our Oakland, Ca. home, we got a free Data box for one TV. Our main TV is on an HD DVR. Only problem is that we don't get HD on that screen w. the "box". We do have a ton of HD channels in Ca. One advantage is that the Comedy Central HD channel is the eastern feed - so we don't have to stay up late for the Daily Show.
This all happened in Ca. last summer.

...mike
post #117 of 220 Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
We are in Aventura also and get all the channels w.o. a converter on our extra bdrm. screen.. When Comcast changed to "all digital" in our Oakland, Ca. home, we got a free Data box for one TV. Our main TV is on an HD DVR. Only problem is that we don't get HD on that screen w. the "box". We do have a ton of HD channels in Ca. One advantage is that the Comedy Central HD channel is the eastern feed - so we don't have to stay up late for the Daily Show.
This all happened in Ca. last summer.

...mike

Yes, sometime in May I got a message to my DVR that they where switching to digital and they where running the commercials as well. I believe it was on June 11 that they where supposed to switch because I remember thinking: "Oh wow, they shut off the 1st day of the World Cup, people are going to be mad." So I called and got my two Digital Adapters and have never installed it because I was waiting for them to switch.

Anyways, I just got a promising letter in the mail.
Customer Action Required By: 5/3/2011

As a result of our network enhancement, any TV without a digital device will only receive channels 2-25 and 76-79.

You can receive up to two digital adapters at no additional monthly service charge.

Call us by 4/3/2011 to get your equipment and you'll be ready ahead of time. So going off that and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDCat View Post
The new HD channels typically appear around six weeks after the digital conversion.
...it looks like I should expect new HD channels the week of June 12.

comcast letter.pdf 262.3837890625k . file
post #118 of 220 Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 AM

I also got this in the mail that shows the New Price List and New Channel Lineup effective 2/1/2011.

Nothing much has changed on the channel lineup, but it looks like I'll be paying an additional $2.00 for Performance tier Internet and $2.00 more for the Modem Rental fee.

Price List Pg. 1
Price List Pg. 2
Price List Pg. 3
Price List Pg. 4

Channel Lineup Pg. 1
Channel Lineup Pg. 2
Channel Lineup Pg. 3
post #119 of 220 Old 01-31-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

It appears that not every channel will require a "digital adapter". Those between 2-25 and 76-79 will not.
The adapter is free. In the Bay Area (Calif.) an adapter is needed for all channels. (We have one DVR in Ca. - two in Fl.) We have one adapter in Ca. and will need 1 in Fl.
It appears the change over is coming in May.

...mike
post #120 of 220 Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bunch of new channels have come up including Turner Classics and Movieplex. I'd post a list, but new ones seem to pop up every few days at the moment.

--
(this space for rent)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page