Miami / Fort Lauderdale, FL - Comcast - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 220 Old 07-28-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I personally can't believe anyone thinks getting internet or telephone from Comcast is a good idea. Their staff is useless and untrained and their quality of service poor. I feel for you snidely, but not surprised by your experience.

Btw, I haven't mentioned it but a recent change has added BBC America to the basic tier on channel 114. Could be an error, but enjoy for now.

--
(this space for rent)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 220 Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
We also have Comcast in Oakland, Ca. BBCA has been on that system for a long time. Better yet, they have BBC World News. (For some reason CNN doesn't carry their intl. news station anywhere in the U.S. The BBC News just came there about 6 months ago. Unfortunately, they put it on a higher digital tier - and as much as we looked forward to having that channel - didn't feel it was spending the $10 or $15 more for the next tier just to get one channel we would watch.
Surprised with Miami being an intl. city - it isn't on in Miami. I did read that it will be offered in more cities in the coming year.
Another thing that's coming - the ability to get a Tivo DVR that works with Comcast directly. Not for us. It is available in the SF area and Boston and a couple other places now. You do have to buy the Tivo.

As for internet - most people have no choice if they wany hi-speed internet. It has been almost flawless for us in both Oakland and Miami. The phone company doesn't offer the speed cable does. We stream Netflix on occasion. Not sure phone DSL could handle it and deliver quality.
post #213 of 220 Old 10-02-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Does anyone have any knowledge of what Comcast (Margate) is doing with the channel layouts (virtual and physical)?

I have a DVR with a QAM tuner that used to get all local channels in SD and the major networks in HD.
Around January all the HDs disappeared except for the ones in Spanish and WGN. CBS, NBC, ABC, CW, FOX aren't there.

I assumed that was Comcast scrambling them, but a few months back I got a new HDTV with a QAM tuner, and all the channels are there.

I've discussed this on a thread for the DVR and several tricks were suggested, but none have worked.

According to SiliconDust:
18-438 440 is PBS 2
50-443 85.433 is CBS 4
52-435 110.435 is CW 39
113-434 113.434 is FOX 7

My new HDTV shows:
85-433 WFOR 4 HD (CBS)
85-440 WPBT 2 HD (PBS)
86-431 WPLG 10 HD (ABC)
86-432 WTVJ 6 HD (NBC)
110-435 WSFL 39 HD (The CW)
113-434 WSVN 7 HD (Fox)

Prior to losing the channels in January my DVR saw:
50.4 as CBS 4
50.5 as PBS 2
51.4 as ABC 10
51.5 as NBC 6
52.3 as CW 39
87.2 as FOX 7

Now my old numbers are of course old and I suppose SiliconDust could have old data as well.
So does anyone know if my information is old? Does anyone have updated channels?
Is Comcast doing something ridiculous that can cause older tuners to have problems?

--
(this space for rent)
post #214 of 220 Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

I personally can't believe anyone thinks getting internet or telephone from Comcast is a good idea. Their staff is useless and untrained and their quality of service poor. I feel for you snidely, but not surprised by your experience.

I agree that the staff is horrendous but I get 30Mbps+ downstream from Comcast. AT&T can't compete with that.
post #215 of 220 Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post

I agree that the staff is horrendous but I get 30Mbps+ downstream from Comcast. AT&T can't compete with that.

We are in Aventura and Comcast is the only internet provider available providing fast internet to support streaming. ATT is available in our hirise, but obviously can't support the dl requirements that are now required for many services. And they aren't much cheaper, as I recall.
post #216 of 220 Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Perhaps untimely, but if there is an updated QAM list for Plantation floating around, wouldn't mind seeing it - thanks!

post #217 of 220 Old 02-02-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray55 View Post

Perhaps untimely, but if there is an updated QAM list for Plantation floating around, wouldn't mind seeing it - thanks!

Here in Fort Lauderdale the QAM channels are all gone, necessitating the use of one of their Digital Transport Adapters. It's quite possible that this applies to all of Comcast's service areas now, but if not it certainly will in the near future.
post #218 of 220 Old 02-02-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

Here in Fort Lauderdale the QAM channels are all gone, necessitating the use of one of their Digital Transport Adapters. It's quite possible that this applies to all of Comcast's service areas now, but if not it certainly will in the near future.
We have been using a DTA in Aventura for some time. Two years? It is in the spare bdrm. so doesn't get used much. What I need to find out is if Comcast now has the HD DTA's available.
post #219 of 220 Old 02-02-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

We have been using a DTA in Aventura for some time. Two years? It is in the spare bdrm. so doesn't get used much. What I need to find out is if Comcast now has the HD DTA's available.

Yes, they do.
post #220 of 220 Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We'd been give adapters more than a year ago, but they just yanked the QAM out at the end of December. I was forced to buy an antenna just to watch the ball come down on New Years.

OTA provides a LOT of digital HD channels in this area for the price of a cheap ass antenna.
Comcast charges too much, and gives us standard def over analog connections. I can't believe they're still in business.
Some one should send them a memo that this is the 21st Century and 4x3 480i TV's went out with VCRs.

--
(this space for rent)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page