Harrisburg, PA - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 969 Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Capture of Fox43's HD simulcasted Two and a Half Men.

I'm liking the new HD simulcasting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 969 Old 01-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Just curious to know if WGAL (Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA) has changed transponders on 103W within the past few weeks. I had D* here last week to replace an faulty LNB and also to tweak my dish aiming and, afterwards, just about all of the signals on 99c and 103c were up into the mid to upper 90s after the tweak except for transponder 15 on 103s. This one went down to the 70s, although transponder 16 on 103s is now at 99 or 100. Everywhere I see it listed, our HD locals are on transponder 15 of 103s.

Can you guys post your signal strengths for 103s? Curious to know if everyone around here is getting very strong signals on transponder 16 now.
post #453 of 969 Old 02-01-2009, 08:14 PM

It looks like WPMT is testing out simulcasting Seinfeld in HD right now. It looks great but the audio is about 2 seconds out of sync. Hopefully that will get fixed within the next few days. WPMT is sure beefing up their HD programing.
post #454 of 969 Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

After the transition, WHTM has requested a power increase. They want to put up a new non-directional antenna where the analog 27 antenna is now, and boost it from 16.2 kW to 19.7 kW. It won't happen right after 02/17/09, but has to be done within three years of the application being granted (it hasn't been granted yet).

- Trip

This seems like it could be a case where the delay in the analog to digital transition could cause a conflict. If WCAU continues to broadcast on analog 10, that could get in the way of WHTM boosting its signal on Digital 10. Right?
post #455 of 969 Old 02-04-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy63 View Post

This seems like it could be a case where the delay in the analog to digital transition could cause a conflict. If WCAU continues to broadcast on analog 10, that could get in the way of WHTM boosting its signal on Digital 10. Right?

They probably can't do it now anyway, due to weather at this time of year and all that. I know a number of Allbritton stations are scheduled to have work done in May or June, so chances are that nothing would change with their signal until that time anyway, regardless of any delays with WCAU.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #456 of 969 Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 AM

With Congress passing the delay in DTV transition, allowing stations to wait until June, stations will now have the option of transistioning on 2/17 or waiting.

Here's is what WGAL is saying:
http://www.wgal.com/technology/18646479/detail.html
Quote:

The House of Representatives reversed its position and passed a bill to delay the switch to digital television until June.

President Barack Obama is expected to sign the bill.

Local stations have the option to make the switch on Feb. 17.

About 1/3 of all TV stations in the U.S. will go digital on Feb. 17.

WGAL is consulting with other TV stations in the area. But a decision has not yet been made on whether WGAL will delay the switch.

WHP/WLYH states the following:
http://www.whptv.com/content/dialedi...7BA7odA3g.cspx
Quote:

The government may give television stations the choice to go ahead and switch to digital before June 12th. This is something CBS 21 is considering, but a decision has not been made. We will of course let you know any updates.

WHTM is at the mercy of WCAU in Philly, which is on Analog 10, and thus cannot transition until WCAU does.
post #457 of 969 Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM

I think WHTM should just go-ahead and move to DT-10. If their signal "collides" with Philadephia's 10 halfway in-between (somewhere around Gap PA), then so be it. It's only temporary.

WGAL-8 announced tonight they will be waiting until June.

I'm curious to see what the other stations will do.
post #458 of 969 Old 02-05-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WHTM is already on 10. It doesn't matter what WCAU does, WHTM is already there.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #459 of 969 Old 02-05-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwin0 View Post

With Congress passing the delay in DTV transition, allowing stations to wait until June, stations will now have the option of transistioning on 2/17 or waiting.

WHP/WLYH states the following:
http://www.whptv.com/content/dialedi...7BA7odA3g.cspx

Trip, what's up with WHP-DT. Your site shows it flash cutting on 02/17. Yet the above story seems to say, we'll see...

I'm hoping it will go to Actual 21 since I can't get it now at 4 with a DBGH antenna...

Thanks for your time!
post #460 of 969 Old 02-05-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The DTR page is way too long for me to go through and fix all of those at once. The page assumes the February 17 deadline. I need to put that at the top of the page.

EDIT: The page now bears a notice. I apologize for its current state.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #461 of 969 Old 02-05-2009, 05:31 PM

Actually, no apology necessary. I kinda believed your page more than what I was hearing elsewhere. I think this "animal" is going to be quite a CF for awhile...

Don't spend so much time updating your page...study, study, study! (From a Dad with four children..)
post #462 of 969 Old 02-05-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeaton View Post

Actually, no apology necessary. I kinda believed your page more than what I was hearing elsewhere. I think this "animal" is going to be quite a CF for awhile...

Don't spend so much time updating your page...study, study, study! (From a Dad with four children..)

Pfft, this is doing more to get me a job than school is. Seriously, I've heard from people in high places due to my involvement in my website.

I've done my best to make my website as accurate and up-to-date as possible. Things like the latest Congressional and FCC action that take months of my work and chuck them out the window do not go over well with me, though.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #463 of 969 Old 02-06-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:

Yes, but WHTM can't go to full power until WCAU shuts down their analog signal. Until then, large parts of the market can't get their digital signal.

As it is, the 2 important channel dates to know are for WGAL & WHP, as their digital channels are switching to old analog channel. Those dates are needed, because a rescan will be needed. All the others would only result in a possible power boost (especially for WHTM).
post #464 of 969 Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, but WHTM can't go to full power until WCAU shuts down their analog signal. Until then, large parts of the market can't get their digital signal.

WHTM-DT is at "full power." What they can't do is maximize their signal, which requires an antenna change. It wasn't happening in February anyway due to the weather at this time of year, and there's no guarantee it was going to happen before June either.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #465 of 969 Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Let your voices be heard. The White House wants to know what you think about this extension of the analog shutdown:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing_room/dtv_delay_act/
post #466 of 969 Old 02-07-2009, 04:31 AM

WGAL-8's station manager has announced he will be waiting until June. The RabbitEars website is incorrect. The manager also said he talked to other stations in the Lancaster-York-Harrisburg market, and they "agreed to wait" but he was not clear which stations.
Quote:

(1) I meant permanently and (2) they are not using their final omnidirectional antenna which will extend the signal eastward.

So I think they should go ahead, turn-off their analog, and upgrade their DT-10 to its final configuration. If the newly-extended DT-10 signal collides with Philadelphia's analog 10 somewhere around Gap PA... too bad. It's only temporary.
Quote:

Pfft, this is doing more to get me a job than school is. Seriously, I've heard from people in high places due to my involvement in my website.

Networking is very important for gaining manager's interest in you, but the liberal arts majors known as "HR" are guarding the door and they won't let you through unless you have at least 3.2 GPA. If you have 3.0 they won't interview you.
post #467 of 969 Old 02-07-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:

As it is, the 2 important channel dates to know are for WGAL & WHP, as their digital channels are switching to old analog channel. Those dates are needed, because a rescan will be needed.

Well, no not really. I live in southern Lancaster and can receive Baltimore and Philadelphia too, so I'll have around 8 channels that will be moving & require a rescan. Or not? I'm so confused. It's rather chaotic trying to monitor 3 separate DMAs and figure out what they're doing.

Stupid, stupid rat creatures..... er, Congress.
post #468 of 969 Old 02-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

Well, no not really. I live in southern Lancaster and can receive Baltimore and Philadelphia too, so I'll have around 8 channels that will be moving & require a rescan.

I don't understand why everyone is so worried about when they will rescan. If you actually watch the channel on a regular basis, don't you think the absence of a signal might tip you off that it is time to try a rescan??
post #469 of 969 Old 02-07-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeaton View Post

I don't understand why everyone is so worried about when they will rescan. If you actually watch the channel on a regular basis, don't you think the absence of a signal might tip you off that it is time to try a rescan??

Tell that to my DVR
post #470 of 969 Old 02-08-2009, 04:18 AM

I'm not concerned about myself. I'm concerned about other people who don't know how/when/what a rescan is. Prior to the delay it was easy for me to instruct them: "On the morning of Feb 18, go into the menu and rescan the channels."

Now I've been telling them, "I don't know. You might have to do a rescan every day from now until June 10. And you might not. The Congress has made a mess."
post #471 of 969 Old 02-08-2009, 10:34 AM

I usually do a rescan every now and then since the channels around here regularly give and take away subchannels, or for example, WITF moved their HD subchannel from 33-2 to 33-1 a while back, without any prior easily accessible pubic notice.

I think it is just a good idea to have the people you are advising do a rescan every week or so. If they can use a knife, spoon and fork I think they have the mental capability to rescan.
post #472 of 969 Old 02-08-2009, 04:18 PM

Congress has made a big freakin' mess out of this transition. Everyone knew it was coming Feb 17, so why change the rules now? Looks like we'll all have to do periodic rescans every so often just to see what is going on.

I recall hearing or seeing that WPMT (43.1) had decided to go all digital on the 17th, but now I can't recall where I heard of saw that. Their website doesn't provide any info.

WITF appears to just do things on their own for no reason. They dump 33.3 and now they seem to show nothing in HD (16:9) on 33.1. I calls and emails to WITF go unanswered. When will they show something in 16:9 HD again? "This Old House" has been letterboxed 4:3 for some time, as have been lots of other shows.
post #473 of 969 Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm curious, check if you get the chance; does WITF air the News Hour in HD?

There is a good reason for this change. PBS ended the 24/7 HD feed, and the stations were encouraged to begin doing the network-style "HD when available" thing. WITF is one of many stations having to cope with this issue.

- Triip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #474 of 969 Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 AM

How ironic. PBS now has less channels than before the transition. I was wondering why WITF 33-3 disappeared.

Tripp:

I keep checking your transition report, but it's almost worthless at this point. I don't know if that's intentional or due to lack of time? For example it reads: "WBAL will flashcut" or "WGAL will flashcut", but we who live here already heard the owner Hearst announce they will abide with Congress' wishes & continue analog until June 10.

IMHO it would be wiser if you simply removed the page until you have time to update it, rather than mislead visitors.
post #475 of 969 Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:

but we who live here already heard the owner Hearst announce they will abide with Congress' wishes & continue analog until June 10.

Here's the link, even though WGAL News has announced it on air a few times.
http://www.wgal.com/technology/18655828/detail.html

Quote:
News 8 reported Wednesday that Congress voted to delay the switch to digital TV from Feb. 17 to June 12.

The vote also left the door open for TV stations, including WGAL, to go ahead and make the digital transition in two weeks, without having to wait.

Even though WGAL is ready to make the switch on Feb. 17, the station will comply with the June 12 extension.

The analog transmitters for WGAL will remain on the air until June 12.

On that date, WGAL will switch to all digital broadcasting.

WGAL will continue to run public service announcements about the switch because they are federally mandated.

The only thing I found on WHP's site, is that they are still making their decision.
post #476 of 969 Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How ironic. PBS now has less channels than before the transition. I was wondering why WITF 33-3 disappeared.

They say on their web page that they've budgeted equipment to add MHz WorldView as a subchannel during the next fiscal year (they're aiming for July 1).

Quote:
Tripp:

I keep checking your transition report, but it's almost worthless at this point. I don't know if that's intentional or due to lack of time?

Yes, you hand manage 260KB worth of stuff and go to college at the same time. See how much time you have.

Quote:
For example it reads: "WBAL will flashcut" or "WGAL will flashcut", but we who live here already heard the owner Hearst announce they will abide with Congress' wishes & continue analog until June 10.

IMHO it would be wiser if you simply removed the page until you have time to update it, rather than mislead visitors.

Mislead? Did you not SEE the giant red notice at the top of the page clearly indicating that the page is out of date? It takes a TON of time to fix all that stuff on the page, and I don't even have anything to fix it with yet because the filings aren't due in to the FCC until today! Then I have to pick through the hundreds of stations that didn't file anything Friday one by one because the FCC site won't let me search them, format the page they're on, compile together data I have coming from some other people who generously donated their time to help me out, figure out what the stations that didn't file are doing, then still get some sleep, do two labs on Tuesday, and two tests on Wednesday. What do you want from me?

I'm in the middle of rebuilding the page from scratch. 11 months worth of work down the tubes thanks to Congressional and FCC policy. Here's the page that will eventually replace it, which is ALSO clearly linked from the top of the page:

http://www.rabbitears.info/termlist.php

I don't get paid for what I do, I still have school, and supposedly I'm supposed to have a life, so why don't you try reading what's on the top of the page instead of throwing around words like "worthless" and "mislead" at the crown jewel of my existence?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #477 of 969 Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 PM

Just curious - What are you studying? I like your new page; good job.

WLYH-15 is now running giant fullscreen ads - "We will be terminating our analog transmission on February 17."
post #478 of 969 Old 02-09-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just curious - What are you studying? I like your new page; good job.

Electrical engineering. It's not as fun as all the smiling people on the brochure would make you think.

Yeah, I finally had enough of a page together this afternoon that it wouldn't be a page that's almost completely empty, so I moved it over to replace the old one. I was waiting for some FCC filings to show up before I did that, and a bunch did come in last night; I expect a larger load tonight than I got last night.

Quote:

WLYH-15 is now running giant fullscreen ads - "We will be terminating our analog transmission on February 17."

Good to know; thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #479 of 969 Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM

Hey Trip, I graduated with my BSEE back in 1995. Fun major, eh? ;-)

Thanks for the work you do for us. We know with Congress and Obama getting involved, it has screwed up everyone. Nobody can be sure of what will happen next week until it does in some aspects.

If WLYH is shutting off analog on the 17th, I would imagine WHP will also the same as WHP operates WLYH unless there is some prescheduled work being done and WLYH has to go off on time. Who knows. I am waiting for WHP to go back to channel 21 since I can't get them at all in Etown on channel 4. I can get WHTM (digital 10) and WITF (36) with my antenna and amp, but WHP-DT is a 'no show'.
post #480 of 969 Old 02-09-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:

I'm curious, check if you get the chance; does WITF air the News Hour in HD?

Sorry, I forgot to check till the regular News Hour was over. The News Hour lead up to the Obama speech (8pm) has WITF at 720p with WMPT at 1080i.... I assume it is a national feed since Jim Leher is still on.

Craig
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page