Harrisburg, PA - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 969 Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WGAL hold their town hall meeting in Chambersburg from time to time and has better news coverage of the area than WHAG, and yes we are in WGAL's DMA, we are not in WHAG's DMA of Washingston, DC. even though their transmitter and WWPB is only a mile or so from the Mason-Dixon Line.

As a side note, I have been taking notice to all the application for translators in the mid-west. I thought a station wasn't allowed to use translators to extend beyound their main contour? Some appear to be relaying thier signal 100 miles or more from their main transmitter.

Although WNPB in Morgantown, WVa and WITF in Harrisburg, PA have been doing it for years, or are there special rules concering PBS stations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 969 Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Fill-in translators, which were specifically created last year to correct digital problems, are constrained to within the contour.

Standard translators have been around since the 60's and have no such restriction.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #633 of 969 Old 08-26-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewster1977 View Post

WGAL hold their town hall meeting in Chambersburg from time to time and has better news coverage of the area than WHAG, and yes we are in WGAL's DMA, we are not in WHAG's DMA of Washingston, DC. even though their transmitter and WWPB is only a mile or so from the Mason-Dixon Line.

As a side note, I have been taking notice to all the application for translators in the mid-west. I thought a station wasn't allowed to use translators to extend beyound their main contour? Some appear to be relaying thier signal 100 miles or more from their main transmitter.

Although WNPB in Morgantown, WVa and WITF in Harrisburg, PA have been doing it for years, or are there special rules concering PBS stations?

Where is there a translater for WITF? What channel do they use?
post #634 of 969 Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3NTJ View Post

Where is there a translater for WITF? What channel do they use?

W38AN is licensed to Chambersburg and should go digital on channel 33 in the future.
post #635 of 969 Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 PM

They also have W24CS in Reading.
post #636 of 969 Old 09-04-2009, 05:54 AM

I've had a rough time with WITF lately. For a short bit there it came in great, full widescreen HD happiness! Then it just went dark. I've been getting lots of completely blank screens lately. I'm not ready to completely absolve my DVR of guilt (QAM tuner over Comcast) but WITF is the only channel I've seen do this consistently. It could be that we watch little to no TV and what we do watch is mostly on WITF, so I just notice that channel's problems most.
post #637 of 969 Old 09-06-2009, 03:02 PM

DirecTV and WPMT are currently working on the pixilation issues we've seen the past 2 months. I know because I am involved in the process.
post #638 of 969 Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:

DirecTV and WPMT are currently working on the pixilation issues we've seen the past 2 months. I know because I am involved in the process.

That's been driving me crazy! Its the only channel I'm getting pixilation issues with.
post #639 of 969 Old 09-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshearer View Post

WITF began broadcasting true HD at 6:00 am this past Friday morning. This was as a result of their purchase (thanks to a donation) and installation of new HD equipment. It is possible there may still be some fine-tuning that is necessary. If anyone runs into any issues and would like me to pass this on to the appropriate people at WITF, please feel free to email me at sshearer@keeferwood.com

I don't work for WITF, but was the individual who made the donation to allow them to purchase the new equipment and am very interesting in making sure that everything works properly (as are the people at WITF).

Scott Shearer

Thanks to whomever purchased the equipment! I had been writing the engineers at WITF and it was June.. then July.. then August and i sort of gave up questioning when

I *REALY* want to see the National Parks show in FULL HD at the end of the month but i have a TERRIBLE time receiving WITF DT.. its either all or non and weather seems to make it worse.

Running a huge antenna in my attick with preamp in my attick into Windows Media Center.. all other channels come in fine. I'm in strasburg so i'm just curious if its better for me to point to philly or baltimore in the end.. unfortunately antennaweb stopped showing me the details of Baltimore or PHL when i use my zipcode.

But thanks to whomever hooked WITF up, hope they iron out their problems or get licensed to increase their signal output or get a tower closer to Lancaster feeds
post #640 of 969 Old 09-17-2009, 04:25 PM

If you can contact WITF, ask them when D* will be carrying their HD signal. I talked to a guy there last week who thought D* already carried WITF. I had to tell the WITF guy that D* carries only their DT signal and downconverts it to 4:3 SD.
post #641 of 969 Old 09-25-2009, 03:43 PM

I got this response from Ron Hetrick at WITF about their WITF-HD carriage on D*:

"Thank you for your email. There is an agreement in place with DirecTV that should allow public broadcasters to have their HD channel carried on the DirectTV system. We are working with APTS and PBS to lobby for WITF carriage. Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA."

Moral of the story.. keep bugging D*, PBS national, and WITF for HD carriage.
post #642 of 969 Old 09-27-2009, 01:16 PM

I got $5 off my bill for 15 mo. for being with Directv for 15 years. I thought I'd ask them about 33 and 15 in HD. Heres the response I got back.
Thank you for your message! I see that you have been a loyal DIRECTV customer for many years. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your DIRECTV Loyal Customer gift.

We'd love to offer local channel 33 and local channel 15 in HD, but our satellite capacity doesn't allow it today. However, we continue to expand our HD capacity and hope to offer them in your area in the near future.

I know how important HD programming is to you and I assure you that we are doing our best to bring more of it to you as soon as possible. We value your opinions about our programming, so I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management, who review every suggestion, inquiry and complaint for trends from our most important customers to determine what channels should be considered.

In addition, whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our web site at directv.com/pr.

drkashner
post #643 of 969 Old 09-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

WITF seems to be coming in beautifully out here in strasburg pa now. Thankfully i'll be able to enjoy National Parks tonight unless something else breaks

BTW, i did point to philly and i got everything but WHYY.. anyone know if WHYY isn't broadcasting at full power? as far as i know every stations uses the same tower farm to broadcast from philly so i was surprised WHYY 12.1, 12.2
post #644 of 969 Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM

Last I saw, there were test channels already set up for WITF and WLYH.. I hope they are added soon.

I haven't been able to reliably get WHYY for a long time.. only approx. 5% of the time can I get garbage... 95% I get no signal at all.
post #645 of 969 Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Someone told me WGAL was planning fill-in translators since there's really nowhere to go from channel 8. That person was not kidding. They want:

Channel 43 from the WITF tower.
Channel 49 from an FM tower near Ephrata.
Channel 31 from the WZXQ tower.
Channel 15 from a tower in downtown Lancaster.
Channel 27 from an FM tower near Carlisle.
Channel 27 from the WGCB tower.

- Trip

trip just wondering if this is true what channel would you find lets say the one on 27s channel would they all still be 8.1 it does look like they have applied for permits to do this but I dont know if they have it up and running if so I can not seem to pull any signal
post #646 of 969 Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They would all display as 8-1.

The FCC has not approved any of them, so they are not operating.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #647 of 969 Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

That sure is a lot of overlapping. Probably a good way to resolve the VHF-High issues when you don't have access to a full power UHF frequency.

If they get approval for all of them, I'll be able to acquire WGAL on RF31. Why are they listing that filling as Gettysburg, when the tower location is so close to Chambersburg?
post #648 of 969 Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Because all the power is being aimed at Gettysburg care of a directional pattern. Check the contour maps and you'll see that very little power is going back toward Chambersburg.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #649 of 969 Old 10-15-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I did, but it's enough to have reception in Franklin, Co.
post #650 of 969 Old 10-28-2009, 02:37 PM

Just in case anyone didn’t already know, WPMT’s DT2 channel now airs local news 24/7.
post #651 of 969 Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 PM

are you receiving channel 8 at this time if so what degree and broadcast channel are they on thanks mike
post #652 of 969 Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Liked: 11
My two favorite channels have returned to the digital line-up for pick-up with most HDTV's and digital tuners. I was so angry with comcast when they removed them the first time. I sure hope they are here to stay now.

Turner Classic Movies on 79-5
Fox News on 79-7
(This appears to be the FoxNewsHD squeezed into 4:3 signal)
post #653 of 969 Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Comcrap is squeezing Fox News HD (16:9) signal into a 4:3 format?
post #654 of 969 Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 PM

Sorry if it's been pointed out already but I'm from the Harrisburg area and subscribe to Comcast Basic Cable Harrisburg. In the past month or so I noticed I lost two of my local HD channels WITF 33.1 and WHP 21.1. Anyone have any clue what changes happened here? I am receiving local HD through the the unscrambled QAM cable tuner in my newer tv. Now I can't watch most Steelers and Ravens games in HD... At least I still get FOX 43.1 in HD for the Eagles.
post #655 of 969 Old 11-06-2009, 04:01 PM

I also get my locals from Comcast on my QAM tuner.
Sometimes comcast moves them around.
When I've lost stations in the past, all I had to do to recover them was to rescan channels in the Tv menu. That always worked for me.
Good luck !
post #656 of 969 Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

tunamike,

If you're asking me about WGAL reception, it's nada for me.

Since I get WHAG (NBC), WTAJ (CBS - Altoona), WGCB (I), WJAL (I), WWPX (iON), WPMT (FOX), WTTG (FOX), WMAR (ABC), WJLA (ABC), WNUV (CW), WLYH (CW), WUTB (MyN), and WDCA (MyN) strongly, I'm more concerned about not getting PA PBS, especially since I can get MD, VA, & WV PBS very well.
post #657 of 969 Old 11-06-2009, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just in case anyone didn’t already know, WPTM’s DT2 channel now airs local news 24/7.

I believe you mean WPMT.

I noticed. It's nice to be able to catch, when you've missed the first run. Too bad they only do 7 a.m., 8 a.m., and 10 p.m.

I wonder if they'd consider doing a short live weather segment at the top of each hour? WJAL does something like that (looks recorded, but frequently updated) at hour+58.
post #658 of 969 Old 11-08-2009, 02:17 PM

Yep, sorry for the typo. I saw it the other day around 8:30pm and they were showing the morning news and weather. Thought that was strange.
post #659 of 969 Old 11-10-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Comcrap is squeezing Fox News HD (16:9) signal into a 4:3 format?

No

http://www.foxnews.com/widescreentv/index.html
post #660 of 969 Old 11-24-2009, 06:13 AM

I have been posting about WITF/WTTG on the Washington DC / Baltimore MD thread at avsforum and thought I should post here as well to connect with PA viewers on this topic.

Ever since WTTG dropped their analog signal (Channel 5), I have been unable to receive their station which I previously greatly enjoyed, particularly for their 10 o'clock news which I prefer over WPMT and WBFF. Both WTTG (Fox 5 in DC) and WITF (PBS 33 in Harrisburg) are transmitting on Channel 36 and the two major stations are only 96.43 miles apart from each other. There is roughly a 15 mile overlap in the service contour maps of the two stations.

I am located about 3 miles north of the Mason-Dixon line and below are the signal details for WTTG and WITF obtained through tvfool.com for my exact coordinates with a 50-ft antenna height. I am currently using a YA-1713 for VHF-HI and a Channel Master CM3023 for UHF. Both are on the same mast and are being amplified by a CM7777.

WITF-DT: NM 27.2 dB, Pwr -63.7 dB, Line of Sight, 44.5 miles, 23 degrees
WTTG-DT: NM 6.6 dB, Pwr -84.3 dB, 2EDGE, 55.6 miles, 174 degrees

As a side note, I am able to receive all other major DC, Baltimore, and Harrisburg/York stations with ease (including VHF-HI and UHF channels).

The service contour maps for WITF and WTTG can be seen at the below URLs:

WITF: http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1299653.html

WTTG: http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT401000.html

On the DC / Baltimore thread, there is additional information about the scenario and also some great responses from others (thanks Trip and Dave). It appears that the general consensus is that WITF may be able to change channels (someone suggested 16 or 49) to eliminate the interference but WTTG has no options as the bandwidth is full in the DC area. Furthermore, WITF likely has no desire or ability to expend funds to remedy the intereference.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a way that I could pull in WTTG or is the WITF signal just too strong at my location? I've considered a 91XG but am not sure that it stands a chance. It's unfortunate that both major stations were allowed to use the same frequency with service areas that overlap so much.

I am also concerned about the pending application for WGAL translators, particularly those on channels 27 and 31. One of my favorite channels is WETA out of DC which transmits on 27 and I fear that a WGAL translator in Carlisle will wipe out this channel just like WITF wiped out WTTG. Also, the proposed translator west of Gettysburg on Channel 31 is the same frequency of a proposed translator for WETA-TV northeast of Leesburg, VA. So, while the proposed WETA-TV translator (channel 31, 4.5 dB NM) would provide me with a narrowly stronger signal than WETA-DT (channel 27, -0.9 dB NM), WGAL (31, with a whopping 40.9 dB NM) would completely wipe the other translator out (figures obtained through tvfool.com). I just can't seem to make any sense out of some of these translator applications. There are undoubtedly some situations where a translator falls under sound reasoning, but if every station was entitled to at least one translator there would be channel conflicts galore. It would seem prudent to keep things simple and only use these translators in very special situations (certainly not 6 translators per channel as WGAL is proposing!). Furthermore, WGAL comes in very strongly in the Gettysburg area using an outdoor antenna and I'm surprised that WGAL believes that a translator pointing in this direction is warranted.

Living along the Mason-Dixon line in south-central PA / Northern Maryland puts viewers right in the middle of three service areas (Harrisburg/York, Baltimore, and DC). This has been and is a sweet spot for television IF AND ONLY IF there are no overpowering or conflicting signals nearby. Many viewers in these parts employ large antennas, high antenna heights, and strong amplifiers to pull in stations reliably and if the new concept/trend is to install a significant number of translators in fringe zones then this could wreak electromagnetic havoc (i.e. overload and/or channel interference) in these areas to viewers that are not accustomed or familiar with these concepts. I am concerned about this and hope that the FCC looks over each and every one of these proposed translator applications very carefully and considers the impact that it may have on viewers.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page