Harrisburg, PA - HDTV - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 969 Old 10-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool! I'll have to try that. Hopefully they don't try to insist on the unnecessary upsell to get those channels back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 969 Old 10-04-2011, 02:08 PM

I did not have any luck with a phone call this afternoon. I have limited basis also. They told me my Samsung digital TV will not pickup anything in 2 weeks. I tried to mention that WGAL and WHTM has contacted them about the problem. They told me the below information is incorrect and I have to have their box! They said I'm schedule to have a switch over in 2 weeks to their new system. They said the switch over to Xfinity will require the box. They told me that Xfinity will be satellite and that in two weeks a cable guy will be at the pole in front of my house to cut the coax coming to my house. I asked them how the box will receive cable if the coax is cut. They said the new system is satellite and I have to switch over. I tried telling her my tv can pickup up the channels and I just need the trap removed or replaced.. Then she hung up on me. Her name was Kimberly.

I been picking up everything fine with the TV for the past 2 years until last week.

I hate dealing with Comcast. They are the only cable company in my area at this time and they know it.

Do you have a email or phone contact # for WHTM and WGAL?

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeBr0nie View Post

My problem has been fixed, but it wasn't as easy as you'd think.

First of all, you can follow the discussion of this on comcast's forum too if you want: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channel...ls/m-p/1070271

I emailed WHTM (abc27) and WGAL (nbc8). WHTM got back to me immediately. WGAL apparently contacted comcast. Comcast called me (the message they left was quite humorous to me) saying they spoke to WGAL and were sending me a service tech guy for free to remove a TRAP.

WHTM's guy explained this to me: "Ask them (comcast) specifically to come out and remove the “trap” on your cable that is preventing you from getting 27 and 8. This trap was placed on customers that had limited-basic service…and now Comcast appears to have moved local channels into that trapped frequency range."

post #873 of 969 Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Since when is Comcast dealing in satellite? Me thinks whoever you spoke to doesn't know what she's talking about (not really a surprise with them, sadly)
post #874 of 969 Old 10-04-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap1972 View Post

Since when is Comcast dealing in satellite? Me thinks whoever you spoke to doesn't know what she's talking about (not really a surprise with them, sadly)

I think so also. But you always get the run around when ever you call Comcast. I have tried asking for a supervisor in the past but it seems they are always busy. I wish the FCC would do something about them but I don't see that happening.

So it boils down to my Samsung TV is just a dumb monitor for Comcast cable if I have to go with their digital box.
post #875 of 969 Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 PM

Comcast going to Satellite in your area??? That's a new one. Wow, they are getting pretty creative in their ridiculous responses.

I would highly consider emailing comcast instead of talking to their clueless customer service people (I'm sure they're not all clueless... but I haven't had much success on the phone). I'd say all the facts in your email, including how many times you've called customer support with no success. If they email you back saying you have to call, I'd email a response saying you refuse to due to your bad experiences with their customer support on the phone (just stating the facts).

http://www.comcastsupport.com/com/email.asp

Also, if you goto http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/ChannelLineup.ashx you can enter your address and zip code, then I think on the next screen you can select Limited Basic Service for the package type, and you'll see the channels that they advertise for you to get. When I did this, it shows NBC HD, CW HD, PBS HD, ABC HD, CBS HD, and FOX HD at the bottom. Each with an * next to them.

The fine print says "*HDTV broadcast signals are included with Limited Basic Service. To receive HDTV signals provided by the Company, an HDTV capable television set (not provided by the Company) and an HDTV capable digital converter are required." Of course we know that any HDTV that's relatively new has a built-in digital converter. So, according to that "advertising", comcast should be giving you those channels.

I doubt they want to be accused of false advertisement.

Just something else to let the comcast people know if they give you the run around.
post #876 of 969 Old 10-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Email sent...we'll see if it does any good.
post #877 of 969 Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Email sent...we'll see if it does any good.

I did also. I really hope they fix the problem.

Steve
post #878 of 969 Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 AM

UGH

We apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced.

Unfortunately, we are unable to assist you via the online forum. Please
call us at 1-800-COMCAST or 1-800-266-2278 so we can better assist you.
If you prefer, you may also chat with us online via Comcast Customer
Central - Chat

No doubt they're going to say there's nothing they can do without me upgrading
post #879 of 969 Old 10-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:

UGH

Central - Chat

That's exactly what they originally emailed me (a week ago). I replied back saying that I refuse to call 1-800-COMCAST because of the bad experiences they've given me. That same day (or perhaps the next day) a comcast person called ME and left a message.
post #880 of 969 Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM

Let me see if I can bring a comcaster to this forum to help. Sit tight gang..

IF possible I would like to see if we can get a comcaster to call others who have unfixed problems!
post #881 of 969 Old 10-06-2011, 02:06 PM

For those who are having issue with Comcast, send me a private message. I need some account info to fix the issue. I do work for Comcast.
post #882 of 969 Old 10-06-2011, 02:40 PM

Thats what I got. Told me to call the 800 number after I made clear I would not do that. Also they said I would be charge if its not comcast problem.

So you know they will charge us since we don't use their box.

Quote:

UGH

Central - Chat

post #883 of 969 Old 10-06-2011, 07:41 PM

Just for the curious, apparently the channels are now at 68-x (1-6) according to Silicondust, so whatever Comcast has on the line is apparently blocking that.
post #884 of 969 Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Comcast corporate policy is to provide all the local HD they carry in clear QAM. They usually also have QVC HD, HSN HD, and WGN America HD or TBS HD.

If you can't get those channels, you need to find the right person to speak to, to fix the problem. When you call escalate to the technical supervisor and be sure they know what clear QAM is before proceeding. If they don't, have them find someone that does.

The loss of these channels is usually due to standard system maintenance. Traps (at your home) may be part of the problem, as channel locations can change.

In any event, if you speak to the right person the problem will get corrected.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #885 of 969 Old 10-09-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevejm View Post

They told me that Xfinity will be satellite and that in two weeks a cable guy will be at the pole in front of my house to cut the coax coming to my house. I asked them how the box will receive cable if the coax is cut. They said the new system is satellite and I have to switch over. I tried telling her my tv can pickup up the channels and I just need the trap removed or replaced.. Then she hung up on me. Her name was Kimberly.

Comcrap is moving to satellite?? That pretty much goes against all of Comcrap's marketing that 'satellite is inferior to cable'. I'd like to know more, but I don't think Kimberly knows what she's talking about. Gotta love customer service people.
post #886 of 969 Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM

Service man just came by and took the old trap off the line and we're back in business.
post #887 of 969 Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Service man just came by and took the old trap off the line and we're back in business.

Nice
post #888 of 969 Old 10-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:

I haven't heard anything yet. But I was away from the phone the past couple days. Did you have to be home or they leave a message?
post #889 of 969 Old 10-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Good day,

A few multi-faceted comments and some questions for the forum:

1a. I continue to be unable to receive WTTG-DT (36) from my location 2.5 miles north of the Mason Dixon line (south of Gettysburg) due to co-interference from WITF-DT (36). These two major/primary broadcast stations are only roughly 100 miles apart, yet somehow this spacing (or lack thereof) was permitted by the FCC. I received a PM from another viewer in the Greencastle area with the same issue. I've heard reports that WTTG-DT is easy to lock in Taneytown, MD (several miles south of my location). I continue to miss out on my favorite FOX5 news at 10PM... Awhile back, an invaluable member of this forum (TripVA) did the engineering analysis and determined that an "open" channel did exist for WITF-DT. Unfortunately, good logic didn't and doesn't prevail within our government agencies and commissions. (I am a federal contractor and get to see first hand how our govt fails us all every day. It is truly disheartening to say the least.) On a personal level, I now work in Frederick, MD with occasional travel to Falls Church, VA, so being able to receive WTTG-DT is more critical to me than before when I was working in Central PA.

1b. WITF-DT came up with the brilliant idea (speaking sarcastically) of putting a translator station on channel 33 (W33CR-D) near Chambersburg, PA. As soon as that translator was put into service, as if at the twitch of a wand, I lost WHUT (also on channel 33 in DC).

2a. At one time, WGAL-DT had a list of potential translators. The last I had read, they increased their channel 8 transmitter power substantially to see if this solved some of their viewers' reception dilemma (or lack of initiative to upgrade rig/tower/antenna to meet the challenges of receiving DTV, particularly VHF-HI, whichever school of thought you wish to espouse.) My question is, does anyone know if there is an updated status on WGAL's initiatives with respect to translators? Or, has the increase in power on channel 8 solved a statistically significant amount of the [lack of] reception issues?

2b. The reason I ask, is a while back I had noticed a WGAL translator slated for channel 27 near Carlisle, PA. Undoubtedly, such a repeater would wipe out a favorite channel of mine, WETA-DT out of Washington, DC (also on 27).

2c. Another potentially disturbing discovery was a potential WGAL translator just outside of Gettysburg near/on the blue ridge mountains. Gettysburg is a "fringe" reception zone, we don't have any tv stations within 35 miles. Viewer's TV towers/rigs in Gettysburg nearly all employ high-gain amplifiers (7777 is quite common). Does WGAL realize what kind of havoc they would create by installing a tv transmitter in a zone that has been fringe for as long as anyone can remember? The amps in the area would saturate and we'd have a real mess. This would likely result in forcing viewers in this area to downgrade to "suburban amps" and lose countless channels in the process, or at least make it far less practical to tune channels using a single, rotatable rig. And, as I had posted here on May 4, 2010, the proposed signal coverage map for the translator (WGAL 31) had most of the energy streaming southeastward into Gettysburg, an area that already has a solid signal for WGAL (it's the second strongest signal next to WITF). Once again, I simply cannot understand the logic.

[My hope is that through my post, others will begin to connect the dots and see the trend that is/may be occurring. The liberal use of translators has a tendency to decrease the quality and quantity of broadcast television channels, particularly for those viewers between DMA zones (in the "fringe").]

3. I've contacted WBFF-TV (FOX45 out of Baltimore) regarding their newscasts and what I have been observing as "MP3 quality audio", particularly noticeable when female newscasters speak, as if there is too much compression, like viewing a JPG instead of a BMP file. I did not receive a response from WBFF, but I continue to observe the atypical low-quality audio during their newscast. I've ruled out any rig-related issues and seem to be coming to the conclusion that their newscast audio stream is being compressed in a manner that results in lower-fidelity audio. Has anyone else observed this or can anyone else confirm that this is the case? [I've read somewhere that not everyone can decipher the difference between MP3 quality audio and CD quality audio due to differences in aural deciphering capabilities. Unfortunately, the sound of MP3 quality audio is like chalk on a chalkboard for my ears, so I'm trying to get to the bottom of this.]

Thanks, and have a great day.
post #890 of 969 Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM

1) I'm not sure about the WGAL repeaters, but I think it may have been a ploy to get more power on 8 as building/maintaining that many repeaters would be cost prohibitive. I can pick it up stably with a paper clip.

2) Not sure about the WBFF audio issue, but I can tune to their news tonight and check it out... I have a pretty good audio setup and should be able to tell. I'll be using the 5.1 codec - is that what you use?

3) Co-channel interference is horrendous in Central PA. I have straight shots to Philadelphia, WB/Scranton, B-more, Harrisburg/Y/L, and Hagerstown, but on any given day, tropo ducting can cause a channel to become unstable. DC is just over the horizon threshold for me. I'm using a stack with a 7777 combining a 91xg (very good, narrow, strong capture area) with a 7084p for VHF only (specifically selected for RF6 - Philly). I'm overall very happy with results, especially with regional football on Saturday/Sundays - lots of games to chose from. There are some co-channel allocations that simply boggle my mind. I can't for the life of me understand how B-more and Philly could have co-channels (less than 100 miles apart!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post

Good day,

1a. I continue to be unable to receive WTTG-DT (36) from my location 2.5 miles north of the Mason Dixon line (south of Gettysburg) due to co-interference from WITF-DT (36). These two major/primary broadcast stations are only roughly 100 miles apart, yet somehow this spacing (or lack thereof) was permitted by the FCC. I received a PM from another viewer in the Greencastle area with the same issue. I've heard reports that WTTG-DT is easy to lock in Taneytown, MD (several miles south of my location). I continue to miss out on my favorite FOX5 news at 10PM... Awhile back, an invaluable member of this forum (TripVA) did the engineering analysis and determined that an "open" channel did exist for WITF-DT. Unfortunately, good logic didn't and doesn't prevail within our government agencies and commissions. (I am a federal contractor and get to see first hand how our govt fails us all every day. It is truly disheartening to say the least.) On a personal level, I now work in Frederick, MD with occasional travel to Falls Church, VA, so being able to receive WTTG-DT is more critical to me than before when I was working in Central PA.

1b. WITF-DT came up with the brilliant idea (speaking sarcastically) of putting a translator station on channel 33 (W33CR-D) near Chambersburg, PA. As soon as that translator was put into service, as if at the twitch of a wand, I lost WHUT (also on channel 33 in DC).

2a. At one time, WGAL-DT had a list of potential translators. The last I had read, they increased their channel 8 transmitter power substantially to see if this solved some of their viewers' reception dilemma (or lack of initiative to upgrade rig/tower/antenna to meet the challenges of receiving DTV, particularly VHF-HI, whichever school of thought you wish to espouse.) My question is, does anyone know if there is an updated status on WGAL's initiatives with respect to translators? Or, has the increase in power on channel 8 solved a statistically significant amount of the [lack of] reception issues?

2b. The reason I ask, is a while back I had noticed a WGAL translator slated for channel 27 near Carlisle, PA. Undoubtedly, such a repeater would wipe out a favorite channel of mine, WETA-DT out of Washington, DC (also on 27).

2c. Another potentially disturbing discovery was a potential WGAL translator just outside of Gettysburg near/on the blue ridge mountains. Gettysburg is a "fringe" reception zone, we don't have any tv stations within 35 miles. Viewer's TV towers/rigs in Gettysburg nearly all employ high-gain amplifiers (7777 is quite common). Does WGAL realize what kind of havoc they would create by installing a tv transmitter in a zone that has been fringe for as long as anyone can remember? The amps in the area would saturate and we'd have a real mess. This would likely result in forcing viewers in this area to downgrade to "suburban amps" and lose countless channels in the process, or at least make it far less practical to tune channels using a single, rotatable rig. And, as I had posted here on May 4, 2010, the proposed signal coverage map for the translator (WGAL 31) had most of the energy streaming southeastward into Gettysburg, an area that already has a solid signal for WGAL (it's the second strongest signal next to WITF). Once again, I simply cannot understand the logic.

[My hope is that through my post, others will begin to connect the dots and see the trend that is/may be occurring. The liberal use of translators has a tendency to decrease the quality and quantity of broadcast television channels, particularly for those viewers between DMA zones (in the "fringe").]

3. I've contacted WBFF-TV (FOX45 out of Baltimore) regarding their newscasts and what I have been observing as "MP3 quality audio", particularly noticeable when female newscasters speak, as if there is too much compression, like viewing a JPG instead of a BMP file. I did not receive a response from WBFF, but I continue to observe the atypical low-quality audio during their newscast. I've ruled out any rig-related issues and seem to be coming to the conclusion that their newscast audio stream is being compressed in a manner that results in lower-fidelity audio. Has anyone else observed this or can anyone else confirm that this is the case? [I've read somewhere that not everyone can decipher the difference between MP3 quality audio and CD quality audio due to differences in aural deciphering capabilities. Unfortunately, the sound of MP3 quality audio is like chalk on a chalkboard for my ears, so I'm trying to get to the bottom of this.]

post #891 of 969 Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 PM

I have no idea why there proposed translator is directing it's power toward Gettysburg and not Chambersburg, where channel 8 is still hit and miss. An email to their engineer didn't give a clear answer either, but thought it would be sufficent to cover the are also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post

Good day,

post #892 of 969 Old 10-12-2011, 11:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewster1977 View Post

I have no idea why there proposed translator is directing it's power toward Gettysburg and not Chambersburg, where channel 8 is still hit and miss.

Fill in translators are designed to do exactly what the name suggests. They're supposed to fill in holes within the coverage contour.

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.p...extras=1420818

You can see that they're slightly expanding the contour even with the pattern they have now. Putting any more power westward would expand the contour greatly, and the FCC only allows "de minimis" contour expansions for fill in translators.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #893 of 969 Old 10-13-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComcastSteve View Post

For those who are having issue with Comcast, send me a private message. I need some account info to fix the issue. I do work for Comcast.

ComcastSteve or anyone else. I don't know else to do. ComcastSteve I sent you 2 emails and a private message with required information. I have not heard back from you or comcast since via email or phone call since I sent that information. What do I need to do to get help from comcast? Did I offend someone with my post about my bad experience with my phone call if so I apology.

I sill have no local HD. I did rescan my tv when it happen. All my connections are tight. Since others are having the problem I don't see how it can be on my end. Capnap who did you speak to get a guy out there?

Also my mom has the same issue since this started and see lives in another town in the Harrisburg area.

Steve
post #894 of 969 Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Fill in translators are designed to do exactly what the name suggests. They're supposed to fill in holes within the coverage contour.

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.p...extras=1420818

You can see that they're slightly expanding the contour even with the pattern they have now. Putting any more power westward would expand the contour greatly, and the FCC only allows "de minimis" contour expansions for fill in translators.

- Trip

I guess what I don't understand is two fold.

1. We are in the Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Lebanon DMA. Shouldn't those stations cover the areas of there DMA? Most in my area only receive WHTM all the time, the others are hit and miss. Yet most DC and Baltimore stations come in fine except WTTG (interference from WITF) WETA (overpowered by WHAG) and WMAR (overpowered by WJAL)

2. My thought is when it came to the Mid-Atlantic area channels were very short spaced. West Virginia Public Broadcasting... far as i know... is still trying to find an available channel to replace there CH 41 in Hampshire Co. Which is still operating on analog CH 41 and comes in fine

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong?
post #895 of 969 Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Apologies if any part of this message is rambly and incoherent. Tired and trying to get to bed immediately after this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewster1977 View Post

1. We are in the Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Lebanon DMA. Shouldn't those stations cover the areas of there DMA? Most in my area only receive WHTM all the time, the others are hit and miss. Yet most DC and Baltimore stations come in fine except WTTG (interference from WITF) WETA (overpowered by WHAG) and WMAR (overpowered by WJAL)

Until a few years ago, Chambersburg was in the DC DMA. WHP would come in as well except for the screwy spacing with WVPY.

There are parts of the country where there is no OTA reception. DMA placement depends on OTA viewership to at least some degree, so if people were spending more time watching WHP and WHTM rather than the stations from DC (and WHAG) then the county got moved into the other DMA, even though the NBC and FOX from that DMA aren't available OTA.

Quote:

2. My thought is when it came to the Mid-Atlantic area channels were very short spaced. West Virginia Public Broadcasting... far as i know... is still trying to find an available channel to replace there CH 41 in Hampshire Co. Which is still operating on analog CH 41 and comes in fine

You're correct. (And I actually didn't know that 41 was still operational in analog.)

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #896 of 969 Old 10-14-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Apologies if any part of this message is rambly and incoherent. Tired and trying to get to bed immediately after this post.

Until a few years ago, Chambersburg was in the DC DMA. WHP would come in as well except for the screwy spacing with WVPY.

There are parts of the country where there is no OTA reception. DMA placement depends on OTA viewership to at least some degree, so if people were spending more time watching WHP and WHTM rather than the stations from DC (and WHAG) then the county got moved into the other DMA, even though the NBC and FOX from that DMA aren't available OTA.

You're correct. (And I actually didn't know that 41 was still operational in analog.)

- Trip

Ch 41 was ... last time I watched it was a few months ago, I will have to check again. I forgot about 8 in Martinsburg, W.Va. That doesn't help with WGAL in the southern part of Franklin Co.
post #897 of 969 Old 10-14-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You are correct, the sound quality of WBFF's newscasts leaves a lot to be desired. The high frequencies are just not there. It sounds even worse on anything but my TV's built in speakers.
post #898 of 969 Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

You are correct, the sound quality of WBFF's newscasts leaves a lot to be desired. The high frequencies are just not there. It sounds even worse on anything but my TV's built in speakers.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was beginning to think that I needed to pull out a Q-tip to clear out my ears. I think I'd rather read the closed captioning than suffer through the sound quality on WBFF newscasts, it's almost like listening to someone speak through a running box fan.
post #899 of 969 Old 10-19-2011, 05:16 PM

Has anyone else taken notice to WHTM's new HD newscast? Looks like they have some issues... most noticeable on the weather forecast, most graphocs are cut off on the sides
post #900 of 969 Old 10-26-2011, 02:46 PM

I'm a novice at all OTA stuff. I'm having problems with WHP-TV and WITF-DT. Which is weird since they're the closest towers. I'm able to tune in channels w/ the signal quality in the upper 80s, but then the signal quality will drop to 0 for a 10-15 seconds. WITF-DT is the worst. Here's my TVfool report.

I'm using a roof mounted Digitenna DUV-Suburban antenna w/ 100 ft of cable. The antenna is pointed towards the WPMT tower. I've tested it with both a HDHomeRun and a AVerMedia HD Duet. I've tried it without a splitter and still have the problem.

Thanks
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page