Harrisburg, PA - HDTV - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 969 Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@pamajestic : thanks. I was afraid Baltimore would be out-of-reach. I imagine you pick themup just fine out in Gettysburg. smile.gif It is worth pointing out that when I originally did my channel scans, I could pick them up, even with the antenna pointing WNW. Signal levels were really low, 10-20% measured on TV with no splits.

It's good to know about the VHF low/high combiner to keep the FM and VHF TV separate. I suppose getting a standalone VHF antenna also makes sense, over a combined one like the AntennaCraft HBU-22. That way I can point the VHF antenna directly at WHTM and leave the UHF antenna alone.

Is there a risk that the amp you posted will overload existing channels? 22dB seems like a lot. Real channel 8 is already in the high 90s, and real channels 21 and 36 are very strong as well (with no splits in line).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 969 Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yup, all of Baltimore and a few Washington come in fine here.

With the 80 feet of cable plus the splitter I don’t think overload will be a problem. Pete Higgins did a very detailed review of the RCA amp on the High Def Forum last summer with additional contributions from “ADTech” and he addressed overload in the review. The short of it is he has a tower 3 miles from his house and he did not have overload. I don’t want to link to another forum here, so shoot me a PM if you can’t find the review by searching. Pete includes his Tvfool so you can see what he is dealing with.
post #963 of 969 Old 05-19-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I'm slow to act on things.

I'm putting together things to buy and found the amp and antenna much cheaper on Amazon (where I also get free shipping from my Prime membership). I can't seem find a HLSJ on there. Any other options except Solid Signal?
post #964 of 969 Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Perhaps MCM or Summit Source.
post #965 of 969 Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I ended up finding it on cablesatellitesupply.com for $3 shipped. Hopefully it's real. smile.gif
post #966 of 969 Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WGCB-49 add “The Works” on sub-channel .3 a few weeks ago. It looks like classic movies mostly from the 50’s and 60’s. I did not find an official web-site for it, but Titan TV does show the listings.
post #967 of 969 Old 05-27-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, got everything installed in the attic on Saturday.

#1: PVC Conduit is measured by the inside diameter, and PVC conduit clamps are measured by the outside diameter. This helped fulfill the First Commandment of Projects, "Thou shalt go to Home Depot at least twice." 1" conduit worked great for an antenna mast. I had previously strung up my home-made UHF antenna with string.

#2: AntennaCraft FMSS works great! I can now pick up every local FM station with no static, and a whole lot of other stations that I didn't know about (albeit with some static, but not unlistenable). It's very nice having FM in the basement family room.

#3: AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 was a disappointment. Pretty large, at 5' long and 3' wide, but only marginal improvement on reception of WHTM-27 (real channel 10). I guess reliabily picking it up with an attic antenna isn't going to happen in my location. It's not a huge deal, since we rarely watch ABC, but it does feel like I threw away $20. I'm going to take out all of the splitters tonight to see if I can get a realistic signal level.

The RCA amp and HLSJ combiner work well. I noticed no degradation of my UHF signals after hooking up the FM and VHF.

@pamajestic: Could it be the spacing of the antennas? I figured I didn't really need to worry about interference because the amp would block VHF from going to the UHF antenna and vice versa. The antennas are all about 3' from each other at their closest.

And the Works channel looks like fun. Windows Media Center doesn't pick up any listings for it yet.
post #968 of 969 Old 05-28-2014, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 was a disappointment. . . . . it does feel like I threw away $20. . . . I noticed no degradation of my UHF signals after hooking up the FM and VHF. . . . . . Could it be the spacing of the antennas?
I would try moving the FM antenna away from the VHF antenna at least 4 feet. Have you tested reception with the FM antenna disconnected from the HLSJ? The strong signal from 96.9 FM has the potential to cause issues with channel 10.
post #969 of 969 Old 06-02-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Good idea, I'll try that out tonight. It makes sense as 96.9 is about half of the 192-198 of VHF 10.

96.1 FM is pretty strong too, and right in the channel 10 range as well.

I thought the HLSJ would have taken care of that.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page