Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 969 Old 03-10-2004, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I noticed over the weekend some resolution changes on 15-1. It has been confirmed by
the station's CE that WLYH has gone 1080i with the arrival of the new HD encoder in
support of UPN programming in HD. Programming is being upconverted right now. Enterprise just might be in HD tonight!

There are color bars on 15-2 but I don't know if 15-2 will continue or not. Hopefully, everything will work. Hey, come to think of it, where's WHTM???

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 969 Old 05-04-2004, 06:03 AM

Any update on WITF, WHTM?
post #93 of 969 Old 05-17-2004, 06:23 AM

Has anyone got any idea when Comcast will carry ABC and FOX on the HD side of things? Just got my HD box this weekend and that is the only disappointing factor. Also, what are my chances of getting OTA reception of these channels in Lancaster? I live near the state police barracks if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #94 of 969 Old 09-15-2004, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello,

The first post of this thread has been updated to reflect the current stae of OTA and to provide links for known local cable companies providing HDTV service.

All stations have transitioned to digital. But not all stations are at full power.

I am able to get all major network affiliates using a Terk HDTVi antenna connected to my integrated Samsung 26 inch HDTV set.

Joe

Regards,
Joe

post #95 of 969 Old 10-12-2004, 05:24 AM

Is anyone in Northern Baltimore County/Carroll County having any luck picking up the DTV broadcast from WHP-TV in Harrisburg?

I am in westminster and get WGAL perfectly, FOX 43 perfectly, the UPN station on 23.1 perfectly, and some other religious station on 30.1.

But I cant get WHP. I wonder if its because they are broadcasting on 4.1 and thats the same station as WRC.

Any thoughts??

Robert Hansen, RCDD
post #96 of 969 Old 10-29-2004, 10:43 AM

Sport06,
I live in Lititz, Pa (32 miles from the tower) and I can't get whp either. They are only broadcasting @ 2.3kW.... I have d*TV and wanted the CBS feed from them but they said that they needed a waiver from WHP, SO they send one and I got denied. I wrote directly to WHP and asked them why and they said they don't give waivers. So I sent a email back asking them what they are going to do about this since it is there problem and not mine. I'm still waiting for a replie...
post #97 of 969 Old 10-29-2004, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by shepler76
I live in Lititz, Pa (32 miles from the tower) and I can't get whp either. They are only broadcasting @ 2.3kW.... I have d*TV and wanted the CBS feed from them but they said that they needed a waiver from WHP, SO they send one and I got denied. I wrote directly to WHP and asked them why and they said they don't give waivers. So I sent a email back asking them what they are going to do about this since it is there problem and not mine. I'm still waiting for a replie...

For low-VHF (channels 2-6), 2.3kw isn't very low powered. It's kind of medium range. As long as you're not near NYC or Philadelphia, you should be able to get them with a quality antenna setup within 20-30 miles.

No station that I know of is in the habit of granting waivers to people who can get their analog stations clearly. At 32 miles, I have no doubt you get a clean signal from their analog station, and that is all the waiver process addresses at this time.
post #98 of 969 Old 10-29-2004, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the info, unfort. I am 50 miles from the towers in PHL and also near NYC and Baltimore. Until they stop broadcasting in analog I guess I'm screwwed
post #99 of 969 Old 10-29-2004, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

50 miles is very doable if you're willing to go through the effort. I'm 75 miles from my target stations and have had a reasonable measure of success (note: I went to extreme lengths.) 60 miles is considered the reasonable limit for UHF reception, and you're well inside that.
post #100 of 969 Old 10-30-2004, 09:08 AM

Ya, but I live in an apartment and can not put a huge antenna on the roof. Whats funny is that I can get CBS from PHl (57.3 miles) with my indoor antenna but not Harrisburg (32.4 miles).
post #101 of 969 Old 12-14-2004, 07:14 AM

shepler not sure why you need a waiver for Harrisonburg locals are on both dish net and direct tv unless you are trying to get the HD feed.
post #102 of 969 Old 12-14-2004, 04:43 PM

Yes, I'm trying to get the HD Feeds...
post #103 of 969 Old 01-27-2005, 02:17 PM

I'm still wondering why my HD Dish Network set-up, with locals added, doesn't include the HD feed of the locals. Haven't been able to get a straight answer on that one, and I'd really like to be watching 24 in HD!

Luke
post #104 of 969 Old 01-27-2005, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Comcast Hershey has NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS HD channels, They need to work on UPN. We do not have a local WB Ch, as the cable WB feed is from Phila.

Our CBS HD channel sucks. has lots of problems, Audio is not DD5.1 it is only DD2.0, That also needs addressed.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #105 of 969 Old 01-27-2005, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by aharden
I just blogged about the fact that WHP has performed poorly on the Sunday afternoons when we've been lucky enough to receive the HD game of the week. Every time I can recall watching this game, there's been a significant delay between the time WHP begins showing the game (in "upconverted" mode with their grey sidebars) and when they change over to the HDTV feed. Yesterday's KC-OAK game was the longest delay yet. I didn't time it, but I think it was about 15 minutes.

Is anyone else annoyed by this? Do you think there's anything that we can do about it? I think at minimum I'm going to send an email to the general manager of WHP.

Trust me it's now Late Jan 2005, and nothing has changed. Lots of problems with there HD. You can tell it is only simulcast in Fake HD, and is not True HD. Compare the sporting events from FOX, ABC, ESPN to the CBS HD sports. The PQ is quite obvious....

no wonder comcast has not added UPN 15 to the HD selection as of yet.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #106 of 969 Old 02-11-2005, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Final channel elections are in! Here's the results:

WGAL-8
WLYH-23
WHP-21
WHTM-10
WITF-33
WPMT-47
WGCB-30

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #107 of 969 Old 02-21-2005, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

With WHTM dropping ABC News Now, the data rate is now 17.1 Mbps for the HD channel. The picture quality has looked awesome. It is like looking through a window when watching ABC HDTV programming. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

Regards,
Joe

post #108 of 969 Old 03-22-2005, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Comcast has added HD-VOD on the Harrisburg system. There are five to seven titles. Half are Imax.

Regards,
Joe

post #109 of 969 Old 03-22-2005, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jsb_hburg
Comcast has added HD-VOD on the Harrisburg system. There are five to seven titles. Half are Imax.

Same here on the Hershey-Comcast Feed.

We have only 4 HD Movies at this time listed.

solarmax
Shrek 2
Surv Xmas
The Terminal

Peter

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #110 of 969 Old 03-22-2005, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukeout
I'm still wondering why my HD Dish Network set-up, with locals added, doesn't include the HD feed of the locals. Haven't been able to get a straight answer on that one, and I'd really like to be watching 24 in HD!

As it currently stands, only New York and LA can get HD locals via satellite. In O&O markets, it is possible to get one of the New York or LA affiliates, but AFAIK, Harrisburg doesn't have any O&O stations.

DirecTV has announced plans to offer HD LiL in the next 24 months or so for all markets. Dish doesn't have the capacity to match.

With an HD Dish receiver, you should be able to receive HD locals using a quality outdoor antenna.
post #111 of 969 Old 03-22-2005, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip in VA
Final channel elections are in!

I think you mean "First-round" channel elections. Final elections are still over a year away.

WHTM is the only one that might run into trouble, as they'll be competing with WCAU in Philadelphia for channel 10.
post #112 of 969 Old 03-23-2005, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Originally posted by sregener
I think you mean "First-round" channel elections. Final elections are still over a year away.

WHTM is the only one that might run into trouble, as they'll be competing with WCAU in Philadelphia for channel 10.

Yeah, but I imagine most of those are uncontested.

And WCAU has elected channel 34...

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #113 of 969 Old 03-24-2005, 10:56 AM

Does any one have a list of Comcast PSIP Channels in the Harrisburg area.

I have found the following Local DTV & HDTV channels:

PBS HD 36.1
CBS HD 54.1 WHP
ABC HD 82.2 WHTM
PBS HD 91.1
NBC HD 94.1 WGAL

Have not been able to locate FOX, WPMT along with others.

I am using the QAM tuner built into my TV.

Any help appreciated,
Teddy
post #114 of 969 Old 04-18-2005, 12:48 PM

Howdy everyone. I'm in Colorado but am trying to find out a few things about the current state of HD in Central PA for my father-in-law. I'm from Carlisle - so I'm pretty familiar w/ all the "old" stations (as of 9 years ago...).

Anyway, he lives in Carlisle - north of town. Any idea what stations he should be able to get w/ an off-air antenna? He would probably use a Winegard SquareShooter (that's what I use & have had excellent luck w/ it) - the amplified version...

What is the local cable company back there? Out here, we can get Comcast's basic cable package for $14/mo & use the QAM tuner internal to our set to get HD locals off of it. What do they have available?

He's been asking around but doesn't really know what to ask. Any help is appreciated!

-robert
post #115 of 969 Old 04-18-2005, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rmeredith
Howdy everyone. I'm in Colorado but am trying to find out a few things about the current state of HD in Central PA for my father-in-law. I'm from Carlisle - so I'm pretty familiar w/ all the "old" stations (as of 9 years ago...).

Anyway, he lives in Carlisle - north of town. Any idea what stations he should be able to get w/ an off-air antenna? He would probably use a Winegard SquareShooter (that's what I use & have had excellent luck w/ it) - the amplified version...

What is the local cable company back there? Out here, we can get Comcast's basic cable package for $14/mo & use the QAM tuner internal to our set to get HD locals off of it. What do they have available?

He's been asking around but doesn't really know what to ask. Any help is appreciated!

-robert

Hello,

He might have Comcast. He can enter his address at comcast.com to see if he is served by Comcast via the what's in my area link. Comcast does not yet carry the UPN station, WLYH. All the other local HD channels are carried and are clear QAM. Towers are 15 to 40 miles from Carlisle. A good outdoor antenna with pre-amp should get the locals with the big locals within a 50 degree arc.

Regards,
Joe

post #116 of 969 Old 05-12-2005, 06:06 AM

Pulling in the Harrisburg Market channels on my 811, I've noticed something with the local PBS Station WITF.

All my other local channels (except WGCB which Dish for some reason does not carry) map the guide info to the correct digital subchannel, except for WITF.
The guide shows WITF as 33-1 & 33-3 (33-1 is the normal SD broadcast, and 33-3 is PBS HD). Both show up at "Local Digital" in the guide.
But whenever I manually scan digital channel 36 (WITF's digital frequency), then 33-1, 33-2, and 33-3 show up in the guide, with WITF's guide data showing in 33-2. But whenever I switch to any of the WITF channels, then 33-2 disappears from the guide (along with the guide data).
WITF's DTV website shows they use 33.1 & 33.2, but their link to titantv at shows 33.1 & 33.3

Any ideas if the disappearing guide data is on Dish's end or WITF's?
post #117 of 969 Old 06-09-2005, 10:26 AM

Total Newb here. I live in Mount Joy, PA and know very little about HD. I've been a DirecTV customer for about 3 years - and have the oval dish and one SD box and one SDTivo. I'm adding a home theater and will need a 3rd box (HD) to run the Sanyo Z3.

I will want HD mainly for Sunday Ticket but will also like for some network programming like 24.

So where to start, I keep reading all about UHF/VHF, HD lite, MPEG4, Superfan, DVI problems on the HD box, current HD boxes becoming obselete in a few months, etc....??

I guess first off - how many RG6 lines do I need for a DirecTV HD box? And is there a better box out there than theirs?

Anyone have any experience with what equipment I'll need in my area - as far as antennae, etc.?

What is the best approach for me to upgrade my service without paying a fortune? I'll need to renew my Sunday Ticket and add Superfan, obviously, but I'm not crazy about paying $200-300 for another box, OTA antennae, etc. What approaches will work with CSR to get discounted equipment?

Thanks for any help!

jaggernaut1
post #118 of 969 Old 06-09-2005, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I guess first off - how many RG6 lines do I need for a DirecTV HD box?

That will depend on which HD box you purchase. If you purchase a HD box without TIVO capability or without 2 tuners, you will only need a RG6 line. If you purchase the DirecTV HD box with TIVO, you will need 2 RG6 lines (because there are 2 separate tuners in that box. I have that box and I am very pleased with it. I also have a regular HD box that works well for my other TV. This will all depend on whether you want TIVO capability and whether you are willing to pay the extra cost of the HD TIVO unit.

Quote:

What approaches will work with CSR to get discounted equipment?

I would suggest that you contact customer retention directly (800) 600-8977 and suggest to them that you can get HD cheaper with cable and are thinking of switching to cable. Most of the time, the CSR will offer to give you some discounts on purchases of equipment and programming. If you don't like the offer given you, you can play CSR roulette and call again and speak to a different CSR.

With respect to superfan, that is necessary to purchase in addition to Sunday Ticket if you want to see the games in HD. There are several extensive threads on this issue in the HD Programming Forum here on AVS. There have been very recent announcements that the charge for Superfan has just been reduced from $99 to $49 for existing Sunday Ticket Customers. Others have been able to obtain discounts on Superfan by talking to a CSR in customer retention.

I can't help you much with picking on OTA antenna as that is very highly dependant on the exact location of your house. You could also consider getting a basic cable package that might give you local HD channels if that is available in your area. If you live outside the local viewing area of the network stations, you can get HD network channels from NY and CA through DirecTV. However, I assume you are probably too close to the local network stations. Some people have been able to qualify for these distant network signals from DirecTV by "moving" to another location outside the local stations areas.

HDLite refers to the fact that DirecTV is not broadcasting the HD stations at their full HD resolution. Whether the resolution they are broadcasting at can really be called HD is the subject of some dispute. The signals still look very good, but if you have a very large screen or are very fussy about the quality of the signal, you may notice the difference.

MPEG4 is the new method that DirecTV will be using to broadcase HD signals in the future. Many people believe that DirecTV will replace the customer's equipment with new equipment when necessary for little or no charge, but there is no guarantee of this.

With respect to DVI issues, you may want to check the HD Hardware forum here on AVS.

I hope this helps to answer your questions on a basic level. There is a lot that could be added for each of your questions and I am sure others will add their comments.

Scott

Scott Shearer
post #119 of 969 Old 06-09-2005, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggernaut1 View Post

Total Newb here. I live in Mount Joy, PA and know very little about HD. I've been a DirecTV customer for about 3 years - and have the oval dish and one SD box and one SDTivo. I'm adding a home theater and will need a 3rd box (HD) to run the Sanyo Z3.

I will want HD mainly for Sunday Ticket but will also like for some network programming like 24.

So where to start, I keep reading all about UHF/VHF, HD lite, MPEG4, Superfan, DVI problems on the HD box, current HD boxes becoming obselete in a few months, etc....??

I guess first off - how many RG6 lines do I need for a DirecTV HD box? And is there a better box out there than theirs?

Anyone have any experience with what equipment I'll need in my area - as far as antennae, etc.?

What is the best approach for me to upgrade my service without paying a fortune? I'll need to renew my Sunday Ticket and add Superfan, obviously, but I'm not crazy about paying $200-300 for another box, OTA antennae, etc. What approaches will work with CSR to get discounted equipment?

Thanks for any help!

jaggernaut1

OK, Lets start by saying that the HD box from D* is a good box and does not have an DVI problem that I know of (the HD-DVR box HAD issues but seemd to be fixed) You only need 1 line from the dish to the HD box and 1 line from your antenna. Due to the fact that 2 of the Harrisburg station broadcast in VHF (4,10) you will need to get an antenna that does both VHF/UHF and probably an amplier. To see which antenna you should get and exactly how far away you are you can go to http://www.antennaweb.org and put in your address. As for the MPEG4 issue, you don;t have to worry about that for a while since Harrisburg is the 47th market it could be at least 1.5-3 years before we get HD Locals (maybe sooner for people with Sunday Ticket + SuperFan which is a total rip off) and when they do switch they are saying it will be a free swap out.

To try to get some kind of discount or credit, you might try talking to the Customer Rentension Deptment and tell them that you are interested in getting the D* HD but your local cable company has more channels, what can you do to keep me with you. don't tell them about the Sunday Ticket since cable does not have that.

Hope some of this helps
Good Luck
post #120 of 969 Old 06-09-2005, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the help! I guess my options are really limited due to the NFLST. So assuming I go with the standard DTV HD box, what is it like switching channels from OTA HD to Sat HD to SD? Are there delays or processes or is it as easy as changing channels normally?

Do OTA antennas need to move to tune in stations?

Thanks again!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page