Portland, ME - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5003 Old 05-03-2004, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dr. Joe, Greg Loewen of Lion Audio/Video Consultants is local to Maine and comes very highly recommended both here and other forums I have visited. Do a search for him on the Display Devices forums at Home Theater Forums here. The vast majority of people who use him are thrilled. You can check him out on Lion's website here. I can't vouch for him personally as my soon-to-be-replaced set is unworthy of his services, but I will be calling upon him once I get my new one. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5003 Old 05-09-2004, 02:19 PM

Looks like TWC is poised to add HD-TNT. I noticed it yesterday on channel 551. No programming yet, but the channel is there.

Panasonic TC-P50GT50 **** Sony BDP-S580 **** Onkyo TX-SR502
Antennas Direct - ClearStream 4 Outdoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna
Eagle Aspen 500065 Single Wire Antenna Rotor
post #363 of 5003 Old 05-10-2004, 12:59 PM

Good news on TNT! The Grid (new TNT show with Dylan McDermott and Juliana Margelies) will be shown in HD, with some yet-to-be-named original programming, along with NBA (does anyone care about the NBA anymore?). Now, for my "beat the dead horse" rant, if we could just get:

1. ESPN-HD (I'm guessing this summer)
2. CBS-HD (not looking good)
3. NESN-HD (no idea)
4. NFL Network (no idea - not currently carried by any cablecos, just D* and VOOM)
5. HD-OnDemand (coming soon according to the HDTV Progamming Synopsis)

TWC has come a long way in the past year but there's more work to be done!
post #364 of 5003 Old 05-10-2004, 01:53 PM

Let me guess, HD-TNT will be part of the $10 tier, right?
Once I'm off this 1/2 price deal with TWC, VOOM may be real tempting. Looks like I got rid of Dish a month too soon. They have our locals now.
post #365 of 5003 Old 05-19-2004, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know the current status of channels 6, 8 and 13? Are they now broadcasting their digital signals at full power? Does anyone know the quality of their signals in the Augusta area? Is there any new info on channels 23, 35 and 51?

I want to buy a high def set sometime in the next year, but I want to know that 6, 8 and 13 are strong in the Augusta area before I do. I recognize that some of you are on a first name basis with key officials of the companies involved and any new information would be greatly appreciated.
post #366 of 5003 Old 05-20-2004, 07:24 PM

Sorry Stan - nothing new as far as I know. 8 is still not passing through the national HD feed.
On the TWC front, TNT-HD is on tonight. Lots of Law and Order. PQ is pretty good. I haven't search the threads, but I'm guessing this is an Upconvert of some sort. Not bad.
I have the HD package..do those without it get it too?

post #367 of 5003 Old 05-20-2004, 08:51 PM

I don't have the HD package and I'm getting it.
post #368 of 5003 Old 05-21-2004, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Stan54
Does anyone know the current status of channels 6, 8 and 13? Are they now broadcasting their digital signals at full power? Does anyone know the quality of their signals in the Augusta area? Is there any new info on channels 23, 35 and 51?

I want to buy a high def set sometime in the next year, but I want to know that 6, 8 and 13 are strong in the Augusta area before I do. I recognize that some of you are on a first name basis with key officials of the companies involved and any new information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm reposting this from earlier in the thread as there is some updated information

This is the info I have been able to find out about DTV in Maine. Any additions or corrections would be appreciated -- it looks like I am relocating this summer.

Where someone at the station replied to me I listed their name and title (if known), and italicized what they told me.

ERP = effective radiated power
OTA = over the air
STA = special temporary authority
Where I give two numbers for ERP, the first is the special temporary authority (usually a lower power than) the second in parentheses is the full rating

WPME-DT UPN 28 ERP 215 kW not OTA
WPXT-DT WB 4 ERP 10 kW not OTA

Roy Oulette (unknown position)

Our frequencies and power levels did not pass Canadian Coordination so we do not have construction permits for either station. I'm not sure when we will be able to put a digital carrier on the air. We have now entered goverment "red tape" land with the proviso of cross-border relations.(2/03)

As of this past fall, I reconfirmed this with the help of my congressman, Michael Michaud. He was able to get a response from the FCC about the status of these applications -- basically, the FCC is sitting on their thumbs.

WGME-DT CBS 38 500 kW ERP STA (1000 kW ERP) OTA

38-1 Simulcast Analog
38-2 High Definition Channel

Craig Clark (Chief Engineer)

38-2 is active from 12:00PM to 12:30AM

WMTW-DT ABC 46 501 kW ERP STA (1000 kW ERP) OTA

Amy Picucci (Program Coordinator)

Programming on WMTW-DT channel 46 is currently a digital simulcast of the ABC 8 WMTW analog signal from 8-11 pm Monday through Saturday and 7-11 pm on Sundays. These hours will increase in April 2003 to 12 noon to 12 midnight, seven days a week.

We anticipate providing HDTV (High Definition Digital, 720p) pass through of ABC network programs sometime in 2004. (2/03)

Latest news here is that the Hearst-Argyle group is purchasing WMTW. The chief engineer says he expects that they will be very supportive of investing in the equipment it takes to pass throough network HD. The sale was supposed to pass the approval process this past April.

http://www.hearstargyle.com/index2.html is their website; drop them an email to let them know you are excited they are moving in and encourage them to upgrade the DTV tech here to allow HDTV passthrough.

WCSH-DT NBC 44 500 kW ERP STA (1000 kW ERP) OTA

On air 24/7, passing high definition feed when available

WCBB-DT PBS 17 27.9 kW ERP OTA
WMEA-DT (PBS) 45 50 kW ERP OTA

Broadcast on 4 subchannels, now carry PBS network HD content.

WPFO-TV (Fox) Not OTA -- No digital assignment

Analog only, no digital assignment.

Cable Television:

Adelphia Cable does not carry High Definition at this time.

Time Warner Digital Cable carries the following high definition channels: Showtime and HBO (East and West), INHD 1 and 2, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Discovery HD, TNT-HD, NBC (WCSH) and Maine PBS. In York County, they also carry CBS (WBZ -- out of Boston).

I'm adding to the list the stations in Bangor from Jay Ireland's Bangor Post:

Bangor ME

WVII-DT (ABC) 14 1.85kW ERP STA (532kW ERP) OTA
Simulcast Analog

WABI-DT (CBS) 19 235kW ERP STA (363kW ERP) OTA
Now in High Definition, active 12:30PM to 12:30AM
shilz@wabi.com

WLBZ-DT (NBC) 25 500kW ERP STA (1000kW ERP) OTA
HDTV
lgilbert@wlbz.com

WMEB-DT (PBS) 9 15kW ERP OTA
HD/SDTV Multicast Analog

I'm also adding two additional channels to the list -- please confirm if they can be received from New Hampshire in Southern Maine:

WENH-DT (PBS)57 589kW ERP OTA

From University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire. In HD.

WPXG-DT (PAX)33 100kW ERP OTA

From Concord, New Hampshire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #369 of 5003 Old 05-25-2004, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks DrJoe. I contacted WMTW's new owners to get an HD update. I'll let you know.

Steve
post #370 of 5003 Old 05-25-2004, 06:27 PM

Actually, Adelphia is offering HD as of 4/2004. I live in Lewiston and receive WCSH, PBS, HBO, SHO, STARZ, MAX, and NESN in HD via Adelphia cable. I hope we can start receiving ABC in HD before Monday Night Football and the new fall season starts!! (OTA or otherwise)
post #371 of 5003 Old 05-26-2004, 06:18 AM

any updates on NESN HD for time warner. Every time I watch a sox game they mention a different system that is now carrying the HD signal. Charter, Adelphia, Cox.
post #372 of 5003 Old 05-26-2004, 10:53 AM

does anyone here get Sunday Ticket from DirectTV? I am wondering if Pats games are blacked out here in Southern Maine due to local CBS coverage.
post #373 of 5003 Old 06-02-2004, 03:54 PM

I'm new here and earlier posted info on the main programming forum. I live in Brunswick. My cable company is Suscom. They called today to tell me I'm going to be a beta tester for HDTV. To be installed on Tues. the 8th. The channels are :
ESPNHD
HBOHD
SHOWTIMEHD
CINEMAXHD
DISCOVERYHD
HDNET
HDMOVIES
WCSH.
I have a 51in. Phillips HDTV Monitor.
The benefits of being a tester is free installation and HD free for a month.
post #374 of 5003 Old 06-09-2004, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

My friend who lives in southern Maine is excited about DirecTV offering local channels starting June 10th at 3.30am. all channels will be on there OTA channel numbers. DirecTV should have everything, including the WB and UPN. he says Dish already offers locals but they are missing ABC still.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
post #375 of 5003 Old 06-09-2004, 07:38 PM

Adelphia just started broadcasting HDNET & HDNET Movies on 6/9. (Ch 770 & 771). INHD1, INHD2 and ESPN-HD (Ch 772, 774, 775) are also listed in the channel guide for my ZIP (Lewiston). I'm hoping that those channels are added any day now. Will keep you posted! Keep it up Adelphia!
post #376 of 5003 Old 06-10-2004, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

My friend informs me that he is now receiving all locals from DirecTV. so they are all up and running now.

post #377 of 5003 Old 06-10-2004, 10:36 AM

Locals in HD or just the SD? I've assumed you can't get a local channel (like ABC) in HD if the local affiliate isn't up and running yet with HD. Am I wrong?

post #378 of 5003 Old 06-10-2004, 10:56 AM

All the locals are in SD. Directv has said that they will broadcast HD locals to the top 30 markets within 2 years. That won't be us. I guess we'll have to trust our faithful antenna or.... wait for Cable. I'm just worried about getting ABC and Fox in HD by this fall. WMTW is in the process of being sold and WPFO isn't even broadcasting a digital signal yet!
post #379 of 5003 Old 06-10-2004, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

My question would be has Direct TV picked up the analog signal or the digital signal of these stations? Sometimes people refer to SD when they mean analog and there is a big difference between that and an SD digital signal. I'm guessing that it is the analog signal they are providing.

It would also seem that it will be a big problem for Direct and Dish if they don't furnish local HD over the next several years.

By the way, channel 8 told me by e-mail that they will start passing along the network HD feed this summer. This is not news on this thread, but the info came in about a week ago so it might be fresher.

Does anyone have word on the scheduling of power increases from the Maine stations? This would be a big step forward in generating interest in the general population.
post #380 of 5003 Old 06-10-2004, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

DirecTV is only providing the analog, standard definition, NTSC, 4:3, 480i signal from each of the local stations. They do not have the bandwidth to do anything more. This should be as good as the signal can get as it will be high quality to DirecTV and then transmitted digitally (unlike cable TV locals which are generaly transmitted analog), but it is not the ATSC DTV broadcast.

WPFO (Fox) will not broadcast digitally until the analog/digital switch is flipped and analog broadcasts cease. Your guess is as good as anyone as to when that will be. On a long shot, they could invest in the equipment to send a DTV signal over cable TV, but I don't expect they would make that investment before they have to.

Don't expect any increase in power until the stations are forced to do so. They are operating under special temporary authority at lower than rated power. Until the FCC recinds that, they have no reason to increase their operating costs beyond what they already are.

There is an EXTREME long shot chance, that when the Fox network HD feed is carried by DirecTV, that WPFO might grant waivers to receive it. Most stations in the past have not. Short term, only folks who live in network O&O markets, or stations who are "local" to the network feeds, will be able to get HD over satellite. Because the local stations are not O&O, and are broadcasting HD (or like ABC soon to), I am fairly sure they will not grant waivers.

FYI: DirecTV says they are providing locals free for two months. If you subscribe to them, they charge you right away. So don't subscribe to them until August.

Later,

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #381 of 5003 Old 06-10-2004, 04:16 PM

I think that if our local Fox affiliate can't offer even an SD signal that we should be able to receive the Fox HD signal from Directv. It's ridiculous that with Fox HD coming this fall that we can't watch any because our local affiliate is so far behind! I don't believe that the stations are mandated to go digital until 2006 or later. We should be allowed to get waivers if they don't offer a digital signal! Something in the laws needs to change.
post #382 of 5003 Old 06-10-2004, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, there have been discussions on this matter before (see the discussion on WGME CBS DTV and Time Warner Maine). WPFO "owns" the local market, and because they stand to go down in the Nielsen ratings if we watch the network feed, they have the right to refuse waivers.

It really isn't WPFO's choice not to provide us with DTV: they were not on the air when the extra channels for DTV broadcasts were handed out. Because of this, they can broadcast in analog, NTSC or in digital ATSC -- one or the other and not both. Which do you think gets them the most viewers?

I believe that the FCC mandate is to happen in 2006 or when 85% of homes "in an area" are able to watch DTV programming. This could mean that it will be 2008, 2010, or beyond before the switch occurs.

Later,

Joe

post #383 of 5003 Old 06-10-2004, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

It must take place by 12/31/06. The FCC has just decided to count cable subscribers as having digital availability and many people believe this will speed up the transition regarding the 85% requirement.
post #384 of 5003 Old 06-11-2004, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

This is what a friend of mine who is an engineer at a television station said regarding the FCC deadlines:

I asked him if a Dec. 31, 2006 deadline had been set. He replied:

Quote:
No, not yet. There is a proposal that the FCC has put forward that is getting good reviews from Congress and others and looks like will happen. It is this, on a date, yet to be determined but assumed to be 12/31/06, the FCC will look at the viewers who receive TV via NON OTA and they would count ALL cable/sat subscribers as digital viewers, even if they don't own a digital TV. If the number is 85% or higher, the market turns off analog. If it is lower than 85%, then Jan 1 2009, they cut off analog. Congress has also put into the mix a proposal of using proceeds from the auctioning of the spectrum to pay for STB's for those who can't afford new TV's. Estimated cost, $30 million out of the estimated $80 billion in the auction. None of this has passed yet, it is all still proposals. Best guess is it will be passed before the election, but that is no sure bet.

You don't happen to know what the cable/sat pentration is for Maine, do you? How far from Portland is considered the Portland Market? It may be that there are enough folks out in the boonies without cable to keep us from hitting the 85% mark by whatever date they finally hit on, which might mean there would be an additional two years before the switch is pulled in the Portland/Bangor markets.

Joe

post #385 of 5003 Old 06-11-2004, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Please excuse me. I should not have said that it has been decided to count cable / sat subscribers. This proposal is currently BEING CONSIDERED FAVORABLY. I knew better, but must have been tired. You are entirely correct. It is good news, though.
post #386 of 5003 Old 06-21-2004, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a friend in Maine that tells me about these issues. he told me that he contacted the local Fox station, as they call themselves FOX-23 or WPFO. it took a long time but the station manager told him that they simply didn't have the money required to broadcast a digital or HD signal alongside their analog one. it does cost a lot to do so, and they are for most part a low income-low budget station that doesn't even offer local news. he is very dissapointed with them becasue he wants the Fox HD feed for his new Sony HDTV. he asked me if there was anyone who knew if they could receive the digital channel 57 NH PBS feed OTA in the Portland area or any other out of state digital/HD broadcasts. does anyone know?

post #387 of 5003 Old 06-23-2004, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info, miniz. I wonder what the solution is eventually going to be for FOX 23. There is going to have to be one. Better sooner than later.

ox
post #388 of 5003 Old 06-24-2004, 08:57 PM

just noticed on my tuner that wmtw had remaped itself from 46-1 to 8-1 and wonder of wonders, its hd, no sub-channel either. alan
post #389 of 5003 Old 06-25-2004, 04:43 AM

I'm contemplating putting an anntenna up and was wondering if anyone from Vermont is receiving any OTA Hd from the Maine stations.

I live right on the Connecticut River (05033) and used to get the analog of channel 8 WMTW crystal clear when they were on Mt Washington a few years back. I know they broadcast from further East now so I don't know if I can get them. Anyway, that was on a rusty old tangled bent thing that I tore down when Dish Network got the Vermont locals and I have not replaced yet.

I am able to get an HD signal from the NH PBS in Littleton, NH with just a Silver Sensor sitting in my front Lawn. Just trying to see if it's worth investing in a decent anntenna. My house is at almost 800 ft elevation with views to East & South.
Thanks,
WaltinVt

A moral wrong is not a civil right
post #390 of 5003 Old 06-25-2004, 06:46 AM

Regarding WMTW....
really HD or just DTV? Their mappings have been periodically turning on and off over the last few months. One day its 46-1..the next its 8-1.
I'd be surprised (but very happy!) if they had finally put the equipment in to pass on the national HD feed.
I guess I'll just have to check for myself tonight!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page