Portland, ME - HDTV - Page 170 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #5071 of 5078 Old 12-16-2016, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Yeah, but just remember that even paying for a good antenna and then having someone properly install it is just a 1 time expense...after that your wallet will thank you for not having to pay a cable or satellite bill every month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 5078 Old 12-16-2016, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I believe they're in Litchfield, ME, at or near the site for WCBB-TV (PBS) channel 10.
post #5073 of 5078 Old 12-17-2016, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInNVa View Post
Looking to cut the cord as D* is getting to expensive and TW and Dish are just as bad.
If the antenna route doesn't work out. Dish Network has a (hidden) $19.99 Welcome Pack that includes ALL local channels and a few "cable" channels like TBS, History, TLC, MSNBC, Hallmark, Hub, HGTV, Food Network, Oxygen, CMT, and Boomerang. The link is here: https://www.mydish.com/upgrades/engl...s/welcome-pack. And $19.99 is the final price, not a 3-month or 1 year Introductory. You will also benefit with monthly free channels and specials like free HBO weekends.

If you go on Ebay or Amazon and buy the VIP211 HD receiver (has to be in the 211x line), you will get these channels in HD. The VIP211 receiver also has DVR functionality without the monthly DVR fee. You have to supply your own USB External Harddrive and pay a one time activation fee, but after that you will have HD programming plus DVR for only $19.99 a month. The original VIP211 also has OTA capabilities (using your antenna) to get the local sub-channels that satellite doesn't carry. The subs will be integrated in the guide along with the Dish channels.

John

post #5074 of 5078 Old 12-31-2016, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInNVa View Post
Thanks. I wish WPFO put a closer antenna. Sure would make things easier.
I live in Bath and get fox, cbs, nbc, abc, and mpbn plus their sub channels (14 total) fine with an attic antenna. I used the old direct tv antenna wiring routed through the attic vent.

I found that the attic location was critical as I am behind a hill so did a lot of moving including a bit of up and down by mere inches. Even then, the signal is marginal and I occasionally get some drop-out, but not enough to be an issue. I did shift the antenna outside to a pole which was higher than the attic antenna but it was worse than the attic! Been in this set-up for three years and very happy as I set up my system with two dvrs so do not miss much at all. In fact, I probably had as many drop outs with Direct as I do with my antenna (weather related).

I did gradually shift to the antenna - direct- comcast extended basic- antenna. I would have stayed with cc basic but they changed from clear coax so I needed a box and I could no longer use my dvrs. Should have thanked them as I went from over $100 (direct) to 50 (CC) to 10 (antenna and Netflix). and full use of two dvrs.

Bought the antenna on Amazon
ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount - 60 Mile Range

Figured that the 70 mile one which was 2x more for only 10 miles more was overkill.
post #5075 of 5078 Old 01-06-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper View Post
I live in Bath and get fox, cbs, nbc, abc, and mpbn plus their sub channels (14 total) fine with an attic antenna. I used the old direct tv antenna wiring routed through the attic vent.

I found that the attic location was critical as I am behind a hill so did a lot of moving including a bit of up and down by mere inches. Even then, the signal is marginal and I occasionally get some drop-out, but not enough to be an issue. I did shift the antenna outside to a pole which was higher than the attic antenna but it was worse than the attic! Been in this set-up for three years and very happy as I set up my system with two dvrs so do not miss much at all. In fact, I probably had as many drop outs with Direct as I do with my antenna (weather related).

I did gradually shift to the antenna - direct- comcast extended basic- antenna. I would have stayed with cc basic but they changed from clear coax so I needed a box and I could no longer use my dvrs. Should have thanked them as I went from over $100 (direct) to 50 (CC) to 10 (antenna and Netflix). and full use of two dvrs.

Bought the antenna on Amazon
ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount - 60 Mile Range

Figured that the 70 mile one which was 2x more for only 10 miles more was overkill.
Living in Limington I don't get FOX, PBS and CW with a little antenna, so it will have to go to the roof. Come Spring, up it goes and the dish goes away. Then it's locals with TIVO and either Vue or D*Now. Tired of paying $150 a month for D* now and calling every few months and begging for a drop in price. They usually do it, but I have to jump through hoops to do so.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #5076 of 5078 Old 01-18-2017, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Portland, ME: Looking for OTA Equipment Recommendations

We stopped paying for cable television 12-months ago and until recently I have been an OTA HDTV fence-sitter. Earlier this week I discovered our home was wired with a blend of CATVX and RG-59 coaxial cable. I have spent most evenings for the past week researching and I have a good understanding of my equipment needs. The goal of this project is to provide additional entertainment value through the use of quality hardware and help future proof an initial investment. All the major networks (except Fox) are NNW from my location, towers are less than 50 miles away and within 90 degrees.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Single Gang Low Voltage Boxes
- Home improvement store.
RG-6 Quad Shield Coaxial Cable
- Manufacture unknown.
- All copper center conductor.
RG-6 Compression F-Connectors
- Manufacture unknown.
Channel Master ULTRAtenna 60
- Multi-directional antenna.
- Attic Installation.
Holland Entertainment HFS-4D splitter
- Flat Frequencey Response.
- Solder Back Case.
F Type 75 Ohm Terminators
- 1 unused splitter port.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a47781e689fd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All.png
Views:	25
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1904713  

Last edited by DrDon; 01-19-2017 at 09:47 AM.
post #5077 of 5078 Old 01-19-2017, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1726
Since there's an active thread for your area, I've moved you TO it as people IN the area are always the best ones to ask. Redirect left in Technical so everyone else sees it, too.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 01-19-2017 at 09:46 AM.
post #5078 of 5078 Old 01-21-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtodd_h View Post
We stopped paying for cable television 12-months ago and until recently I have been an OTA HDTV fence-sitter. Earlier this week I discovered our home was wired with a blend of CATVX and RG-59 coaxial cable. I have spent most evenings for the past week researching and I have a good understanding of my equipment needs. The goal of this project is to provide additional entertainment value through the use of quality hardware and help future proof an initial investment. All the major networks (except Fox) are NNW from my location, towers are less than 50 miles away and within 90 degrees.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Single Gang Low Voltage Boxes
- Home improvement store.
RG-6 Quad Shield Coaxial Cable
- Manufacture unknown.
- All copper center conductor.
RG-6 Compression F-Connectors
- Manufacture unknown.
Channel Master ULTRAtenna 60
- Multi-directional antenna.
- Attic Installation.
Holland Entertainment HFS-4D splitter
- Flat Frequencey Response.
- Solder Back Case.
F Type 75 Ohm Terminators
- 1 unused splitter port.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a47781e689fd
I see nothing that screams "warning" in your configuration...but beware of attic installs, they can be tricky due to a number of items such as multi-path, signal absorption from roofing nails, metal flashing, etc., any other attic items that can interfere. Roof installs are generally your best option, but no harm in trying the attic install and seeing how it goes. You'll probably pick up Fox through the back side of your antenna as you're close enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Channel Master , holland entertainment