Portland, ME - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 5002 Old 05-20-2005, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Adelphia sent out a mailer that said it was expected to take a year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5002 Old 05-22-2005, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Coincidence. I received my mailing from Adelphia the next day (5/21) after my posting. I have to say that Adelphia has been good for me especially after they upgraded the headend about 3 years ago. Much better analog picture.
post #633 of 5002 Old 05-24-2005, 05:28 PM

Adelphia needs to go away fast. Ever since they closed their Kennebunk office, the customer service has dropped off the map. I received a couple of free PPV vouchers one month, and was all set to order the movie with my remote. A message pops up saying I had to call in my order! This wasn't the case a year or so ago. They have regressed in service. When I called a couple of weeks ago to order the Motorola 6412 DVR, they told me it would cost 25 dollars to have someone drop it off at my house. So I opted to pick it up at my "local" office in Windham. I'm looking forward to the Time Warner/Comcast takeover. Time Warner will likely be taking over in my area, since I'm told the companies prefer to keep their operating zones in clusters.

Now that I have all of that off my chest, I will give credit where credit is due. Adelphia does have a great HD channel selection. They're up to 17 channels now, and the only noticable channel lacking is CBS WGME. Not their fault since Sinclair holding it hostage from cable operators, but I wish they would pick up WBZ4 out of Boston for the time being.
post #634 of 5002 Old 08-05-2005, 08:04 AM

As of this morning, Adelphia has added Video on Demand service to its cable boxes. I'm not sure if its statewide, but it should be up and running everywhere in York County by now.

This doesn't change my opinion of Adelphia, but at least they are still upgrading their technology at this point
post #635 of 5002 Old 08-07-2005, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I am surprised that Adelphia (Augusta) continues to function as if there is no big change coming. I can't complain except when they told me a month or so ago that they still haven't figured out cablecard. I suspect that they won't until they are good and ready.

The big thing hanging in the air is the absence of CBS from the cable. Channel 13 is Sinclair, so nothing will happen there until Sinclair believes they have forced a lucrative deal. Channel 5 (Bangor) is CBS, however, and they are not on the cable either. The purchase of an HDTV would be made much nicer if all the networks were on.
post #636 of 5002 Old 08-26-2005, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Are there any Portland/South Portland area people who receive OTA HD broadcasts? I'm getting a DirecTV HD Tivo installed next week, and I'm curious what kind of antenna you're using. www.antennaweb.org says that a "yellow" rated antenna should work. I'd prefer one that attaches to the dish mounting stand to avoid installing another mounting pole.
post #637 of 5002 Old 08-26-2005, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidenT View Post

Are there any Portland/South Portland area people who receive OTA HD broadcasts? I'm getting a DirecTV HD Tivo installed next week, and I'm curious what kind of antenna you're using. www.antennaweb.org says that a "yellow" rated antenna should work. I'd prefer one that attaches to the dish mounting stand to avoid installing another mounting pole.

Hi,

I had DirecTV install an OTA HD antenna when I subscribed. It's a Winegard non-amplified GS-1000 and mounts on a mast as part of the dish installation. I'm only able to get WGME 13 HD OTA at my location. But, that's the station I wanted in order to see the Pats games in HD. As far as I know, this is the only HD OTA antenna that DirecTV provides directly. Retailers such as Circuit City offer more selection.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #638 of 5002 Old 08-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Hi,

I had DirecTV install an OTA HD antenna when I subscribed. It's a Winegard non-amplified GS-1000 and mounts on a mast as part of the dish installation. I'm only able to get WGME 13 HD OTA at my location. But, that's the station I wanted in order to see the Pats games in HD. As far as I know, this is the only HD OTA antenna that DirecTV provides directly. Retailers such as Circuit City offer more selection.

Dana

I had read that the D* supplied antenna wasn't very good, so I figured I would pick one up on my own.

BTW, have you seen the great deal going on for the HD Tivo? I ordered mine for $299, which will be a net cost of $199 after the $100 mail-in-rebate. Considering that MPEG-4 Portland locals through D* seem a long way off, it was too good to pass up for me.
post #639 of 5002 Old 08-26-2005, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

AccidenT,

It depends on whose opinion you read, I guess. It was good enough to get me the Pats games in HD - and the price was right. (Free.) I'm aware of the HD Tivo deal. Thanks.

Dana

post #640 of 5002 Old 08-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

AccidenT,

It depends on whose opinion you read, I guess. It was good enough to get me the Pats games in HD - and the price was right. (Free.) I'm aware of the HD Tivo deal. Thanks.

Dana

That does sound reasonable if it's free, but from what I've read, the current pricing is an additional $50 for the antenna. I'd rather be able to choose what I'm getting for that price.
post #641 of 5002 Old 09-02-2005, 06:49 AM

If you haven't seen it on TWC, they have picked up the US Open in HD on channel 560. The only problem for me is that I can't keep the picture. It keeps flickering in and out and the sound cuts in and out as well (literally every second, in out in out).
I called service last night when it was still happening after a day and they saw no problems. The checked my signal, rebooted the box, but nothing fixed it. Last gasp for the tech was to suggest I swap out my DVR, which of course is a huge pain in the butt. Anyone else experiencing this problem or is it just me?

Panasonic TC-P50GT50 **** Sony BDP-S580 **** Onkyo TX-SR502
Antennas Direct - ClearStream 4 Outdoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna
Eagle Aspen 500065 Single Wire Antenna Rotor
post #642 of 5002 Old 09-02-2005, 01:53 PM

jkurlanski: I can't say it's just you, but can say I watched most of the Blake-Muller match last night in HD and had no problems.
post #643 of 5002 Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

I tivo'd the Jets vs. Chiefs game from 13-1 yesterday. By the time I got a chance to watch it, I had already heard the outcome from my brother in law, so I just took a glance to see what the PQ was like, since this was my first CBS HD game. From what I saw, the picture looked good when there was no motion, but any motion caused it to be blurry/blocky. Is this typical for WMGE OTA? If so, is there any hope of getting them to stop multi-casting? Even bandwidth starved football on ESPN-HD through DirecTv looked a lot better.
post #644 of 5002 Old 09-12-2005, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tivo'd the Jets vs. Chiefs game from 13-1 yesterday. By the time I got a chance to watch it, I had already heard the outcome from my brother in law, so I just took a glance to see what the PQ was like, since this was my first CBS HD game. From what I saw, the picture looked good when there was no motion, but any motion caused it to be blurry/blocky. Is this typical for WMGE OTA? If so, is there any hope of getting them to stop multi-casting? Even bandwidth starved football on ESPN-HD through DirecTv looked a lot better.

AccidenT,

I watched some of the game on 13-1 OTA and it came in fine here. No artifacts during motion. I did not watch the entire game, however, nor did I try to record it. My OTA signal from 13-1 has been super, certainly the equal of ESPN-HD, etc., since I first connected up last December. Have you watched 13-1 HD in real time?

Dana

post #645 of 5002 Old 09-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

AccidenT,

I watched some of the game on 13-1 OTA and it came in fine here. No artifacts during motion. I did not watch the entire game, however, nor did I try to record it. My OTA signal from 13-1 has been super, certainly the equal of ESPN-HD, etc., since I first connected up last December. Have you watched 13-1 HD in real time?

Dana

I watched a bit of the US Open, and it looked fine. There's really no such thing as "real-time" with the HD TiVo, since even when you're watching "live", it's buffered to disk and then decoded from there. I'll give it another shot this weekend and see if I have better luck.

FWIW, signal strength certainly isn't a problem, as 13 is easily the strongest and most stable signal of any of the OTA channels. I ended up going with a direction indoor yagi (terk hdtvi, similar to the zenith silver sensor), and I get > 90% signal strength pretty much regardless of which direction I aim it

6-1 is usually much more finicky; 8-1 is usually pretty good, and I seem to only get 10-1 and 17-1 at night, (not that there's much that interests me on PBS).
post #646 of 5002 Old 09-14-2005, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

AccidenT, are you using an LCD tv? LCD screens have a tough time with motion blurring.
post #647 of 5002 Old 09-15-2005, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

No, I have a direct-view CRT. I'll have to check out the Pats game on Sunday to see if it was just an issue with the game last week, since no other HD on that channel has had any issues.
post #648 of 5002 Old 09-18-2005, 08:08 PM

Anyone had success with OTA from the Auburn-Lewiston area? I understand that, at the least, a "red" class antenna is required. Hoping to find advice on how well one has worked in this area.

- - Phil
post #649 of 5002 Old 09-20-2005, 08:39 AM
pjo

Well, I can't speak for the L-A area but down here in Southern Maine I've been watching CBS/NBC/ABC OTA with an antenna in my attic. I picked up the channel master 4228 and it's been awesome.

The best test when trying to get the digital channels around your area is to first see if you can get the analog signal. If you can get those, then the digital channels should work too. For example, I took a set of rabbit ears up to my attic with a small tv. I was able to get CBS/NBC/ABC/PBS..etc. Now, this doesn't mean that all stations broadcast a digital signal. I believe that the four I mentioned do along with the WB in the Portland area. I'm not sure if Fox is digital or not out of Waterville but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Check out antennaweb.org, channelmaster.com and antennasdirect.com for decent antennas. There's also another cool site to check the status of a station in your area:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

I watched the Pats game and it looked great (OTA-WGME). CSI-Miami looked incredible last night too.
post #650 of 5002 Old 09-20-2005, 07:37 PM

I'm on the Sabattus/Lisbon Falls line. I'm using the Winegard SS-1000 Square-Shooter HDTV antenna. Looks like a pizza box. WCSH, WMTW, WGME, PBS all come in great. PBS is the only one currently that is not coming from the same direction as the others. So it was a little tricky get the antenna pointed in a happy medium. It is very directional. When I was trying to get analog over the air, I got the stations, but they blew chunks. OTA ATSC is amazing, much better then what the cable company is pumping through the lines.

There's a version of the Square Shooter with a built in amp, I would probably go with that one. I added an amp to mine and it works better.

Antennaweb and Titantv are showing that WB is on the air, but I am not getting anything. Anyone else getting this yet?
post #651 of 5002 Old 09-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

On occasion I can tune in WPXT-DT. I believe the frequency assignment is 43. I'm only 6 miles from the tower and I barely pull it in. According to the chief engineer, they're broadcasting very low power while they build out their high-power location. They're not actually capable of broadcasting in HD yet. He said they're hoping for May '06 to start broadcasting at full power and in HD.
post #652 of 5002 Old 09-20-2005, 08:19 PM

Cool, thanks for the info. They were listed as an air date of July 06, then all of a sudden they showed as active. Guess I can stop my daily scans now.
post #653 of 5002 Old 09-21-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo View Post

Well, I can't speak for the L-A area but down here in Southern Maine I've been watching CBS/NBC/ABC OTA with an antenna in my attic. I picked up the channel master 4228 and it's been awesome.

The best test when trying to get the digital channels around your area is to first see if you can get the analog signal. If you can get those, then the digital channels should work too. For example, I took a set of rabbit ears up to my attic with a small tv. I was able to get CBS/NBC/ABC/PBS..etc. Now, this doesn't mean that all stations broadcast a digital signal. I believe that the four I mentioned do along with the WB in the Portland area. I'm not sure if Fox is digital or not out of Waterville but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

I watched the Pats game and it looked great (OTA-WGME). CSI-Miami looked incredible last night too.

Thanks for the feedback. I checked those sites .... they indicate I should be able to receive 2-3 Portland local HD channels OTA. I think I'll try a CM4221 first since it has a wider angle (20 degrees) than the CM4228 and sufficient range and may allow receiving several stations w/o a rotator.

Still hope to hear from someone in the L-A area.
- - Phil

- - Phil
post #654 of 5002 Old 09-21-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorgan05 View Post

Still hope to hear from someone in the L-A area.
- - Phil

I'm 6 miles from the Lewiston line, I wouldn't think there would be a whole lot of difference.
post #655 of 5002 Old 09-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Did anyone here watch Lost on WMTW-DT tonight? I was watching OTA and was only getting rear-channel sound (no dialog, barely audible music) for the last segment of the show. From the thread in the HDTV programming forum it's clear that it wasnt' a national issue; I'm just curious if it affected both OTA and Time Warner (or maybe just me )
post #656 of 5002 Old 09-21-2005, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmguy View Post

I'm 6 miles from the Lewiston line, I wouldn't think there would be a whole lot of difference.

I have no way to know ... terrain and angle to transmitter may make for differences.
I'd rather hope you are right. :-)

I'll know more after I test from my location with a CM4221 antenna.

- - Phil

- - Phil
post #657 of 5002 Old 09-22-2005, 06:27 AM
pjo

Accident,

Same thing here. OTA-WMTW. I had to watch it in SD during the end of the show to hear what was going on. The same thing happened with Invasion as well. I'm going to send their engineers an email and see what they say.

-pjo
post #658 of 5002 Old 09-22-2005, 06:34 AM
pjo

pmorgan,

Just wanted to let you know I'm not using a rotor with my antenna and it works great for getting all the stations I want. You might be able to get away without one as well. Good luck with it. Here's a cool link showing the different gain for antennas.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
post #659 of 5002 Old 09-22-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo View Post

pmorgan,

Just wanted to let you know I'm not using a rotor with my antenna and it works great for getting all the stations I want. You might be able to get away without one as well. Good luck with it. Here's a cool link showing the different gain for antennas.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

You're fortunate. If you were in L-A, I'd take more comfort from your experience. I'll hope for the best in the meantime.

Antenna shipment delayed so I won't be testing for another week.

Still hope to hear from someone in L-A on their results.

- - Phil
post #660 of 5002 Old 09-22-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Did anyone here watch Lost on WMTW-DT tonight? I was watching OTA and was only getting rear-channel sound (no dialog, barely audible music) for the last segment of the show. From the thread in the HDTV programming forum it's clear that it wasnt' a national issue; I'm just curious if it affected both OTA and Time Warner (or maybe just me )

I'm on TW in Cape Elizabeth. Had the same problem with dropped audio during the last few minutes of "Lost" in HD (from the the "post-op 'miracle' scene to the end). I recorded "Invasion" in HD, but haven't watched it yet, so I don't know if the problem persisted. Same thing happened frequently, and only during the last few minutes of shows, with HD from WMTW last season. Hmmm ...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page