Portland, ME - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5003 Old 01-15-2006, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to hear from anyone that is using Directv HD and how to get local HD channels. Also would love to hear any suggestions on equipment and antennas that actually work if needed. Thanks!

--Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5003 Old 01-15-2006, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I used to have it -- you have to put an antenna up on your roof, and connect it to your receiver. then, if you are near enough to the transmitter towers and if your antenna is pointed in the right direction, it will tune them.

If you are far enough from Portland and Bangor, you could be elligible for "distant locals" in which case you would get the East Coast feeds for each of the networks (both HD and standard def).

As I understand it, DTV rolled out HD locals for a handful of major markets (Boston, Washington, D.C., Tampa, Dallas and Houston, Atlanta, San Francisco, Chicago and Philadelphia and Detroit as of last month), but smaller markets like Portland/Bangor will likely wait until 2007.

Joe

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #723 of 5003 Old 01-15-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrichusa View Post

I am looking to hear from anyone that is using Directv HD and how to get local HD channels. Also would love to hear any suggestions on equipment and antennas that actually work if needed. Thanks!

Tom,

I have the basic DirecTV provided OTA antenna, a Winegard Model GS1000 non-amplified one. It pulls in Channel 13 in HD, the one I wanted so as to watch the Pats in HD. But I can't get any of the others due to my location - on the east side of Bailey Island. You should be able to get all of the OTA HD stations - Channel 6, 8 & 13 and maybe PBS - from Auburn unless you have topo issues, trees, etc., blocking signals. I am using the DirecTV Samsung 360 HD receiver. The latest DirecTV H20 HD box is reported to have a better OTA receiver for digital only stations.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #724 of 5003 Old 01-16-2006, 09:26 AM
pjo

Anyone have any problems getting WGME-DT OTA yesterday? Worked fine during the Pats game but didn't yesterday....
post #725 of 5003 Old 01-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrichusa View Post

Hi Tom,

I have DirecTV and use a Terk indoor amplified antenna that I got from Radio Shack. ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search ) . The antenna is in my bedroom on the 2nd story of my house. I pick up WGME, WMTW and WCSH with good (~90) signal strength. As far as Fox goes, I asked DirecTV to apply for a waiver and I now get the east coast HD Fox channel through the satellite. I'm using the HR10-250 DVR for a receiver.
post #726 of 5003 Old 01-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo View Post

Anyone have any problems getting WGME-DT OTA yesterday? Worked fine during the Pats game but didn't yesterday....

No problems here, at least not during the IND/PIT game came.
post #727 of 5003 Old 01-19-2006, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm another one that is looking for digital CBS to be added to my cable system (Augusta) which is Adelphia now and should soon be Time Warner. I e-mailed both channels 13 and 5 (Bangor). I received the standard Sinclair answer from 13, and no response from 5. WABI 5 is not Sinclair but they are withholding their signal as well. This is very frustrating.

If I knew what to do to apply pressure to both the cable company and the stations involved I would do so. I would really like to know what the potential compensation involved is. I can't believe that stations aren't jumping for joy simply because cable companies want to carry their signals. Certainly, their signal has value to the cable companies, but so what? The television station is greatly benefited by cable carriage. It would seem that the benefits would be offsetting.

It would be great if channel 5 agreed to carriage and, then, channel 13 had to compensate the cable company if they agreed to carry them.
post #728 of 5003 Old 01-19-2006, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no actual advantage to a TV station to cause them to get out their DTV signal. The problem is how Nielson ratings work.

When you watch Channel 13, over the air or on cable TV, you are counted as part of the audience wacthing that station. Channel 13 takes the audience data and sets their advertising prices based on it -- the more viewers they have the more they can charge advertisers to run their commercials. The digital broadcast is not counted by Nielson as part of the Channel 13 audience. So if you watch Channel 13's DTV broadcast, they lose you as a viewer. From the point of view of the local affiliate, they lose money by having you watch their digital television station. As far as I can tell, aside from a public/community relations point of view, they have no benefit to increasing the viewership of their DTV broadcast, and actually a small downside. When you look at it from the point of view of actually being a cost because they have to support the transmitter to be OTA (both equipment and ongoing cost of transmission), this is an even larger cost. At some point, this will change as advertisers begin marketing to the HDTV market -- it is only a recent phenomenon that some national commercials are in HD.

Some medium sized media conglomerates, such as Sinclair, have decided that because of the above, and because there are commercial advantages to local cable for carrying the signal, the local cable companies should compensate them for the signal.

There is one action you can take that will hit Sinclair in the pocket book, and that is to actively boycott Sinclair and Sinclair's local advertisers. Stop watching CBS. Send a letter to CBS and to CBS' national advertisers. Send letters (snail maile, email, or fax) to the local advertisers, tell them that you disagree with Sinclair's actions and ask them to pressure Sinclair to change. You may have to go so far as to tell them that you will no longer support companies which support Sinclair. If Sinclair's advertisers pull their commercials, then Sinclair will have a reason to change.

In the past when people have discussed "boycotts" of local advertisers, someone always says "but it isn't fair to punish the local companies" -- you aren't. All the local company has to do is withdraw their advertising from Channel 13. Others say you shouldn't try to hurt Channel 13, because these local guys aren't making the rules -- but that is the only way you might get Sinclair to change.

You can take the same tack regarding Adelphia (or Time Warner). Complain to Adelphia. send letters to local advertisers, and to your local cable authority (probably your city hall). Then dump cable for DirecTV or Dishnetwork. Until you hit them in the pocket book, they have no reason to change.

I'm afraid none of these actions will give you much in the way of satisfaction.

Joe

post #729 of 5003 Old 01-19-2006, 12:53 PM

Tom I also live in Auburn I have directv hd and i get my locals OTA. I use a CM4228 mounted on roof about 15' high, get great reception. ABC NBC CBS come in perfectly. From Auburn all three major networks are in the same direction. I get FOX east coast feed from directv. I had to cut down a couple of trees to get good reception on directv. Hope this helps, Larry
post #730 of 5003 Old 01-19-2006, 04:47 PM

Tom I am in Lewiston and I am using a silver sensor antenna. I am picking up all CBS,NBC,ABC,PBS with no problems at all. All signals in the 80's and 90's.
post #731 of 5003 Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post

I'm afraid none of these actions will give you much in the way of satisfaction.

Thanks for the very informative post DrJoe...I didn't think of the Nielsen angle.

Unfortunately, you have made me even more frustrated and depressed.

I might as well forget about Sinclair and Time Warner bringing this to a happy conclusion for now. You would think that that CBS wouldn't want to lose viewers over HD broadcast rights??

If CBS broadcasts the March Madness Tournament in HD...that may push me to stage a 1-man protest outside of WGME.
post #732 of 5003 Old 01-20-2006, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is an article reflecting a situation similar to ours:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Sa...=1128769314684
post #733 of 5003 Old 01-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Is anyone receiving 13-1 OTA right now? I get a searching for signal message
post #734 of 5003 Old 01-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Update: I just called WGME and they're "working on it", but they didn't have an ETA for the repair since the engineering staff is off for the weekend.
post #735 of 5003 Old 01-22-2006, 01:39 PM

It's working fine here
post #736 of 5003 Old 01-22-2006, 01:59 PM

Just sent the following to Craig...
Hi Craig,
I have a new question... some time last week, I lost 13-1 & 13-2. Today I did a new scan for OTA to see if it would reacquire your signal info. It did, but in an unexpected way. Your station is now at its real location, 38-2 & 3, instead of being remapped to 13-x. Is that because of new Guide info that you are sending?? Just wondering...
And it's great to see you on the AVS Board... everybody appreciates your input.

Jim Tabor
Windham
post #737 of 5003 Old 01-22-2006, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

13-1 coming in fine on Bailey Island. Fantastic PQ with the new H20 HD receiver just put into use, replacing my Sammy 360. Also, now I get Channel 6 & 8 in HD OTA. Big, big improvement.

I also am getting 38-3 & 38-4.

Dana

post #738 of 5003 Old 01-22-2006, 02:16 PM

Forgot to mention, my receiver is an H10-250...
post #739 of 5003 Old 01-22-2006, 02:32 PM

It's out here in Topsham. It is not totally out, I get an intermittent signal on my TV's (Sony 42A10) tuner but not at all on my Dish 942. I normally get 100% signal. Good thing the Pat's aren't playing, I'd be at the station looking for blood
post #740 of 5003 Old 01-22-2006, 02:33 PM

We broadcast our DT signal on channel 38, we have a device that puts program guide information and channel identification information in our signal. It appears this device has either gone of line or has failed. This is problem for some HD receivers. A channel re-scan maybe required to receive WGME DT again. I will certainly look into it.
post #741 of 5003 Old 01-22-2006, 08:26 PM

Same here for me in Topsham. My HD Tivo shows nothing on 13-1. A re-scan gave me 38-2. However, there is no guide info for 38-2 so all of my Tivo season passes for WGME.

Arrrgggghhhh! :/
post #742 of 5003 Old 01-23-2006, 11:53 AM

All, the 13-1 / 38-1 issue has been resolved; some may have to perform a re-scan to receive 13-1 again. Please let me know if there any issues.

Craig Clark
C.E. WGME TV-DT
post #743 of 5003 Old 01-23-2006, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Craig,

All is well here. 13-1 comes in well; 38-x is no longer on the Guide. Lovely.

Dana

post #744 of 5003 Old 01-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Craig.

It must have been a distraught Patriots fan trying to sabatoge the HD feed of the football game
post #745 of 5003 Old 01-24-2006, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Say, Craig, you haven't heard any in-house rumors about signal authorization for cable companies have you? Don't say anything if it could cause you a problem, but it would be nice to think it is on the way. (I really don't want to put up an antenna.)
post #746 of 5003 Old 01-24-2006, 10:18 AM

Hi Bill, WGME broadcasts from Raymond, Maine. The WCSH transmitter is in Baldwin, Maine. From Exeter your antenna would need to move around 20 to 30 degrees North East form where you receive WCSH. WMTW is very close to the WCSH site so you should pick them up if you are receiving WCSH, without moving your antenna (I would think). As for WGME DT you can use Channel 13 analog to help point your antenna. The picture on 13 may look bad using a UHF antenna but you should receive enough of a signal to know you have the antenna pointing in the right direction. Once you have your antenna pointed at us try tuning WGME DT in again. We broadcast on channel 38, there is a chance that WSBK CH 38 out of Boston may cause you trouble, but I would hope that with a directional antenna our signal will come in for you.

Good Luck,
Craig Clark
C.E. WGME TV-DT
post #747 of 5003 Old 01-24-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 View Post

Say, Craig, you haven't heard any in-house rumors about signal authorization for cable companies have you? Don't say anything if it could cause you a problem, but it would be nice to think it is on the way. (I really don't want to put up an antenna.)

I don't have any details, only that corporate is working on this at a national level for all their stations in the Sinclair Group across the county. They have reached agreements with other content providers, unfortunately not the ones in our area yet.
post #748 of 5003 Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crclark View Post

I don't have any details, only that corporate is working on this at a national level for all their stations in the Sinclair Group across the county. They have reached agreements with other content providers, unfortunately not the ones in our area yet.

Thanks for your response, Craig.
post #749 of 5003 Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Craig (or any of the other area TV station personnel monitoring this thread),

Without commenting on the actual situation between the cable companies and Sinclair, or disclosing anything that might be confidental, is the description I made above correct on how Nielsen ratings work regarding DTV? That DTV viewers are not counted as part of the primary analog TV station's audience? I think it was an Austin, TX area television station chief engineer who told me this 3-4 years ago (prior to my relocation to Maine). If this is still true, do you have any idea when/if Nielsen will roll DTV viewers into the analog audience numbers?

Thanks,

Joe

post #750 of 5003 Old 01-25-2006, 01:53 PM

Am a TW cable customer trying to receive Ch 13 in HD! Can I connect an external antenna (ex. Radio Shack's VHF/UHF/HD model) to Time Warner's 8300 HD set top box and somehow receive the signal thru the box? The TV is not "HD Ready" (requires set top box) so I would not expect I can connect directly to tv. Tech support at TW could not give me an answer. If I cannot connect to the 8300 am I out of luck or is there another option--assuming I'm staying with TW for at least the near term?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
On a side issue, the TW guide is now showing HDOD (617), ENCD2(618) and HESOD (620) though none are yet operational according to the tech and he has no info on when that will occur. Assuming 618 is Encore (?) does anyone know what 620 is?
Thank you again.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page