Portland, ME - HDTV - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 5002 Old 04-01-2006, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I've finally joined the HDTV fraternity (Sony KD-34XBR960N) and my question concerns OTA reception (actually, lack thereof ) of WGME-DT. I have an inexpensive Radio Shack UHF-only antenna (#U-75R) mounted in my attic (with a rotor) and my Sony continually says "No Signal" on channels 13.1 & 13.2 while both WCSH-DT & WMTW-DT are crystal clear. The odd thing is, at least to me, I'm about 3 miles from WGME's tower and 12 to 15 miles from the other two.

An FYI....The house is in a slight hollow (maybe 20' - 25') surrounded by many very tall pine trees (Maine is the "Pine Tree State," after all. )

Any tips/suggestions as to how I might correct this situation would be much appreciated.

Thanks, and

Be skiing ya,

DSG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 5002 Old 04-02-2006, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the HDTV world! My guess is that at the very least you'll need to get the antenna out of the attic and onto the roof. Lots more info here http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/erecting_antenna.html

And another good starting point http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Good luck!

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #813 of 5002 Old 04-02-2006, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2osports View Post

I'm about 3 miles from WGME's tower and 12 to 15 miles from the other two.

An FYI....The house is in a slight hollow (maybe 20' - 25') surrounded by many very tall pine trees (Maine is the "Pine Tree State," after all.

It is sllightly possible you are TOO close to the transmitter. The transmitter broadcast in a cone.if it is significantly higher than your house, the signal may be missing you. I had thought this was a problem only within a few 100 yards of the tower, but you may want to drop WGME's chief engineer an email and ask what he thinks. His name is Craig Clark (Crclark on the AVS Forum) -- his email and phone number are posted earlier in the thread, but you'll have to search/read through it to find them.

It also could be a multipath problem due to reflections from the tree. Try moving the antenna around. If the signal is TOO strong, you could be swamping the tuner, so try rotating the antenna.

Joe

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #814 of 5002 Old 04-02-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2osports View Post

Hi,

I've finally joined the HDTV fraternity (Sony KD-34XBR960N) and my question concerns OTA reception (actually, lack thereof ) of WGME-DT. I have an inexpensive Radio Shack UHF-only antenna (#U-75R) mounted in my attic (with a rotor) and my Sony continually says "No Signal" on channels 13.1 & 13.2 while both WCSH-DT & WMTW-DT are crystal clear. The odd thing is, at least to me, I'm about 3 miles from WGME's tower and 12 to 15 miles from the other two.

An FYI....The house is in a slight hollow (maybe 20' - 25') surrounded by many very tall pine trees (Maine is the "Pine Tree State," after all. )

Any tips/suggestions as to how I might correct this situation would be much appreciated.

Thanks, and

Be skiing ya,

DSG

Being only 3 miles away could cause problems with multipath or there is too much signal. Are you using a preamp? if so you try removing it. I had one viewer with a similar problem and I had him add a 6db pad (from Radio Shack)at the input of his receiver. The signal was so strong it was over loading his tuner. The pad worked great and he can pick up the other stations also. Any RF splitters being used? Try a direct connection from the antenna to your receiver if there is.
Last thought, how does WGME CH 13 come in?
You can use your UHF antenna to pickup 13. Move the antenna to make CH13 come in as good as possible then try our DT again. Also try this, our OTA DT channel is 38, (13-1 13-2 are virtual channels) try entering 38 in and see what what your receiver does this has been successful for other viewers.
Good luck,
Let me know either way,
please feel free to call me at work 207-228-7780
Craig
post #815 of 5002 Old 04-02-2006, 08:28 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all the replys!

Dana: Mounting an antenna on the roof is not an option (aesthetics & all ). I'd already checked antennaweb.org which told me I'm only 3.4 miles from WGME's tower (something I basically knew from biking up to the site many times when I was younger ).

Joe: I'd considered the fact that maybe the signal is passing right over my house on its way to Portland - after all, when the tower was erected in the late 1950's or early 1960's, it was the tallest manmade structure in the world - but I guess I didn't think it could actually happen. Also, the house is surrounded by these tall pines (except to the west where WCSH's & WMTW's towers are located), so I suppose multipath could be a problem. (Cutting the trees down is not an option either, aesthetics and all. ) I have tried moving the antenna every which way, but to no avail. I've also tried an indoor antenna (Zenith's "Silver Sensor") thinking that maybe the signal was too strong from the attic antenna. Channels 6 & 8 still come in crystal clear and the TV actually locked onto 13.1 for (literally) a fraction of a second, before going blank again.

Craig: I'm not using a preamp nor any splitters. The RG-6 (not QS, though) cable is run directly from the antenna to the TV set. Analog 13 comes in via the UHF antenna, but it is definitely not watchable (too much "ghosting," which is a sign of multipath, right?). I had tried tuning in channel 38 directly when I first got the TV a week or so ago, but that didn't produce any picture either. Finally, I have just searched Radio Shack's online catalog and found the 6db attenuator you mentioned. I'll pick one up tomorrow and give it a try. If not, you'll be hearing from me! And many thanks for monitoring this thread.

My apologies for being so long winded.

Thanks again, and

Be skiing ya,

DSG
post #816 of 5002 Old 04-04-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinvt View Post

Probably dreaming but do you think there's any chance viewers on the Vt / NH border (Bradford, Vt 05033) will get these signals ? I'm at 800 feet with a good antenna , rotor & amp but can't get any digital OTA except WNNE-DT & VT & NH PBS.

If you receive our analog signal, it's a good bet you will get our Digital. We are aiming to duplicate our current pattern.

As fars as the roads in Gray, we told the town we would bond the shipment. They said no.

Chet Cook
Engineer
WPXT/WPME

Chet Cook
Engineer
WPXT-TV/WPME-TV
post #817 of 5002 Old 04-04-2006, 08:53 AM
pjo

Few questions:

Does anyone have any pricing they can share on what Adelphia offers for their HD pack? Do you have to sign up for digital cable in order to get their HD channels? Their site lists out all sorts of data, but no prices (of course). I'd be looking into getting just their HD package if possible with the bare minimum channel package. I'm also wondering how their HD quality is. Right now, I'm using an antenna to pull in all the locals but I'm subscribed to Dish. I'm thinking of terminating my contract with them in a few months and was wondering if Adelphia could take their place. I like the fact that they (Adelphia) carry NESN in HD. I'm also wondering if their tuners have the ability to use an antenna to get channels over the air.

More on OTA stuff:

Also, has anyone tried pulling in Boston stations from Kennebunk using an antenna? I was able to get their channels just once during last summer. It was at night and I'm sure there was some atmospheric help but other than that one night - forget it. Anyone else have any luck trying it?

Thanks all, enjoy the rain! We need it!
post #818 of 5002 Old 04-04-2006, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

This is Adelphia's price list as of 1/13 when they raised some prices:

Broadcast Basic - $15.95 (channels 1-22)
Expanded Basic -- $35.35 (channels 23-74)
Digital Basic (Bronzepak) -- $11.95
Digital Plus -- $10
HD+ Tier -- $10

HD+ Tier with valuepak -- free

HDTV Converter -- $8.70
Remote control -- $0.25

If you just want the broadcast basic channels, you can pay $15.95 + $8.70 + $0.25 = $25 + taxes a month for the broadcast HD. You may then be able to add HD+ for $10 per month -- I'm not sure if they require you to carry digital basic or digital + service to get it. If you want a DVR, add $10 (or $5 if with a valuepack).

HD+ includes all of their HD except the subscription channels.

If you need digital cable to get HD+ service, then the cost is $63 for programming plus $9 in equipment fees.

They have many "flavors" of value packs with and without high speed internet. They also have sign up deals which can lower your fees for as long as a year.

Joe

post #819 of 5002 Old 04-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Did anyone else notice a strange frame rate issue with Desparate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy on Sunday? I didn't see any complaints in the main HDTV programming section, so I'm assuming it's either a local issue or an issue with my equipment. The audio was fine, but the video appeared to be at a very low frame rate. The motion of the characters was very jerky. It was on an off during DH, and only seemed to be the first half of GA. I'm using an HD-TiVo, and my first thought was that the hard drive was having issues. However, no other HD stuff Iv'e watched since then has had this issue, so it seems like it might be more than coincidence that these were both on the same channel.
post #820 of 5002 Old 04-05-2006, 07:28 AM

I noticed the samething during GA. I remember a practicular scene when Grey was talking to her ex-lover Doc (my wife makes me watch it so I can't remember names) near the elevator and the PQ definitely seemed off. I didn't even know how to describe it but slow frame rate sounds right. I watched Soprano's from 9-10 before that and had no issues.
I was watching via TWC, on a HD DVR Receiver. I'm guessing local, temp issue.

Panasonic TC-P50GT50 **** Sony BDP-S580 **** Onkyo TX-SR502
Antennas Direct - ClearStream 4 Outdoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna
Eagle Aspen 500065 Single Wire Antenna Rotor
post #821 of 5002 Old 04-05-2006, 07:30 AM
pjo

DrJoe,

Thanks....!
post #822 of 5002 Old 04-05-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidenT View Post

Did anyone else notice a strange frame rate issue with Desparate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy on Sunday? I didn't see any complaints in the main HDTV programming section, so I'm assuming it's either a local issue or an issue with my equipment. The audio was fine, but the video appeared to be at a very low frame rate. The motion of the characters was very jerky. It was on an off during DH, and only seemed to be the first half of GA. I'm using an HD-TiVo, and my first thought was that the hard drive was having issues. However, no other HD stuff Iv'e watched since then has had this issue, so it seems like it might be more than coincidence that these were both on the same channel.

I noticed it too, watching "Housewives" a day later via TWC HD DVR. Glad it hear it wasn't something at our end -- or in my head.
post #823 of 5002 Old 04-06-2006, 01:10 PM

I have a question for Craig. Is channel 13 going to be showing HD Masters coverage from 4-7 today or tomorrow? I know that CBS affiliates have been given the option to carry this on their digital channel. I just turned it on and Oprah was on . I am hoping that it could be shown as in the 4 years I have had HD the Masters is the single most spectacular looking HD broadcast I have seen.
post #824 of 5002 Old 04-06-2006, 01:33 PM

In case Craig does not see your question immediately, CBS has HD coverage Saturday and Sunday. USA Network has coverage today and tomorrow. Universal HD has coverage today and tomorrow.
post #825 of 5002 Old 04-06-2006, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

It is better to call the station and ask. Off hours, use the news room number and ask to be connected to engineering.

Joe

post #826 of 5002 Old 04-06-2006, 07:45 PM

[quote=AccidenT]Did anyone else notice a strange frame rate issue with Desperate Housewives....?QUOTE]

I caught DH last Sunday. First time I had ever bothered to watch it. But with my new HDTV, I thought Teri, Eva and the rest might provide some excellent eye candy. And they did.

With WMTW-DT OTA the picture, IMO, was superb. Sounds like an issue w/TWC.

Be skiing ya,

DSG
post #827 of 5002 Old 04-06-2006, 08:09 PM

Hello again!

Just an update to my posts of a few days ago....

I'm still having problems receiving WGME-DT OTA, but at least I've been able to watch a couple of programs all the way through without too much blank screen.

I'm unsure exactly what has changed, though, to allow me to tune in 13.1 at all. I tried Craig's suggestion of using an attenuator between the antenna & the TV, but that didn't seem to help one way or the other on the digital channel. It did, however, improve reception markedly on 13 analog (still using the UHF antenna).

Secondly, I've been checking the Sony's signal strength meter. With 6.1 & 8.1 the meter reads in the mid to high 90's, but with 13.1 the best I can do is a reading in the 50's to around 60 (anything below about 50 and the receiver won't "lock in" properly). Also, I have noticed that to achieve a reading near 60 on 13.1, the antenna has to be aimed perfectly. A half-inch either way and the signal strength meter drops to the low 40's and the screen, of course, goes blank.

Suggestions/comments are welcomed.

Thanks again, and

Be skiing ya,

DSG
post #828 of 5002 Old 04-07-2006, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=h2osports]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidenT View Post

Did anyone else notice a strange frame rate issue with Desperate Housewives....?QUOTE]

I caught DH last Sunday. First time I had ever bothered to watch it. But with my new HDTV, I thought Teri, Eva and the rest might provide some excellent eye candy. And they did.

With WMTW-DT OTA the picture, IMO, was superb. Sounds like an issue w/TWC.

Be skiing ya,

DSG

I actually noticed the issue on my recording of the OTA broadcast, so the issue wasn't just limited to TWC. The best way to describe it is that it was like a really low FF speed (like 1.2x). Just enough that frames seemed to be skippped and the motion looked jerky. The audio didn't sound sped up, though, so I'm not sure what the issue really is.
post #829 of 5002 Old 04-07-2006, 08:21 AM

AccidenT,

Having had an HDTV set for less than a week at that point, perhaps I was so in awe of the (generally) excellent picture (not to mention the women of DH ; as I said, I'd never bothered to watch the show before) that I simply didn't notice what you've described....Don't know.

Be skiing ya,

DSG
post #830 of 5002 Old 04-07-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcalkin View Post

I have a question for Craig. Is channel 13 going to be showing HD Masters coverage from 4-7 today or tomorrow? I know that CBS affiliates have been given the option to carry this on their digital channel. I just turned it on and Oprah was on . I am hoping that it could be shown as in the 4 years I have had HD the Masters is the single most spectacular looking HD broadcast I have seen.

Just looked in on the thread and found your question. Masters are on NOW in HD Started ar 4pm and it will be in HD this weekend.

Enjoy!
post #831 of 5002 Old 04-08-2006, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crclark View Post

Just looked in on the thread and found your question. Masters are on NOW in HD Started ar 4pm and it will be in HD this weekend.

Enjoy!

Thanks Craig! The broadcast was spectacular as always
post #832 of 5002 Old 04-22-2006, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi folks,

I got an old VOOM receiver from Capsfan, and have been adjusting it for the past few weeks. I have the antenna the correct height now (I need to get a drill and fix the mast extension in place with a set screw), but am having a problem getting all of the signals in. To get WMTW and WCSH, I need to use a preamp on the antenna signal. WGME comes in good too. But I am only a few miles from the Augusta PBS tower, and it is swamping my tuner. If I turn the preamp off, it comes in fine.

Are there affordable adjustable attenuators out there? Or attenutors for a single channel (17)?

Thanks,

Joe

post #833 of 5002 Old 04-22-2006, 04:27 PM

Dr. Joe,

Radio Shack offers this adjustable (at least as regards to amount, as opposed to which channel(s)) attenuator....

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

....and it's fairly inexpensive.

Be skiing ya,

DSG
post #834 of 5002 Old 04-22-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Joe,

Check out Craig Clark's suggestion in post 814 above. Good luck!

Dana

post #835 of 5002 Old 04-22-2006, 04:40 PM

Dr. Joe,

Another thought....

You might try e-mailing/calling either Stark Electronics:

(http://www.starkelectronic.com/)

or Ness Electronics:

(http://www.nesselectronics.com/index.php?loc=main).

I've dealt with both and have generally been pleased with the service they've provided. Their online catalogs (especially Ness') can be a little hard to decipher unless you have specific part numbers.

Hope these suggestions help.

Be skiing ya,

DSG
post #836 of 5002 Old 04-22-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Dana,

I think the attenuator Craig was referencing works on all channels. I think it would knock out WMTW. I tried using an adjustable signal amp instead of the preamp, and found that WMTW wasn't comming in at full gain, and PBS was already swamped out.

DSG,

Thanks for the links. I'll send them an email. I no that Winegard sells an adjustable attenuator, but there aren't any local distributors. Looks like Stark reps Winegard. It's expensive though (lists for $50). I'm hoping someone sells "tuned" passive in-line filters that are cheaper.

take care,

Joe

post #837 of 5002 Old 04-23-2006, 06:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Dr Joe: Check out Solid Signal, the Channel Plus CPNF-469 Notch Filter rejects off air UHF 14 to 19. Might hamper WABI if you get it now. It's $29 plus shipping. May be cheaper at other off air suppliers.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #838 of 5002 Old 04-25-2006, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I've almost got it working properly.

Turns out Dana was right. I knocked the signal down 20 dB across the board and PBS is coming in much better while everything else is still coming in. It overloads evry now and then at random -- the meter reads 93-96, and then sags down to 70 for a few seconds, then comes back. I'll try to find anouther 5-6 dB filter.

Now if only WB and UPN would get their signals up!

thanks for your suggestions all,

Joe

post #839 of 5002 Old 05-03-2006, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello all,

Good news for DirecTV subs who cannot get all the Portland-Auburn market HD local broadcasts OTA. We are now scheduled to get MPEG 4 HD LIL sometime in 2006 with rollout starting in the third quarter 2006. Here's the official link http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....780&highlight=

Portland-Auburn has been moved up in priority. (Good luck getting Fox.)

Dana

post #840 of 5002 Old 05-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Hello all,

Good news for DirecTV subs who cannot get all the Portland-Auburn market HD local broadcasts OTA. We are now scheduled to get MPEG 4 HD LIL sometime in 2006 with rollout starting in the third quarter 2006. Here's the official link http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....780&highlight=

Portland-Auburn has been moved up in priority. (Good luck getting Fox.)

Dana

Good news for some, not so good for others. This means any of use with the NY FOX HD feed will lose it. Unless D* releases an MPEG-4 HD DVR and includes the WPFO HD feed, we'll lose the ability to record or even watch Fox HD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page