HDTV help in Seattle area.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-08-2002, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to get into the HDTV game in the Seattle area....

I live in Edmonds, very close to the ferry and I need to know what people recommend for antennas?

Right now I have DirecTV/TiVo and I love it, but I'm getting a 16:9 WideScreen 34" Panasonic or Sony set and I will be getting the Hughes E86 HD receiver.

I'll need to upgrade my dish to the oval with the three LNBs (101, 110, 119 sats) and I'll also need to get an antenna for the HD signals from KOMO, KING, KIRO, KCTS and KCPQ.

What I'd love to do, is hire someone to come out, install and aim the new oval dish and install and aim an OTA antenna.

First, what kind of luck should I expect in Edmonds? Living in the 'bowl' I'm worried that I won't be able to receive anything (FM radio is very crappy at my house). Also, who could I call that could bring the dish, antenna and get them installed for me. I just don't have the time to deal.

Thanks!
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-08-2002, 05:37 PM

Take a look at www.antennaweb.org, that worked for me. I use a small radio shack UHF (directional) antenna in the attic, pointed between due west and southwest, just as antennaweb told me. Works great, and I'm able to receive all 5 current channels without rotating the antenna.

- Jeff
post #3 of 17 Old 03-08-2002, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Eric, the bowl might make it hard.

KCPQ might be ok, you may have a good line of sight to Bremerton, but the Queen Anne & Capitol Hill antennas....

What sort of NTSC reception do you get with an antenna? That might tell you something.

I have tried a small yagi and an 8 bay bowtie - both were about the same for me from Shoreline - top of Richmond Beach Road. (the 8 bay CM 4228 is for sale)

Obsession in moderation
post #4 of 17 Old 03-08-2002, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by hmss007
... who could I call that could bring the dish, antenna and get them installed for me. I just don't have the time to deal.

Thanks!
Eric
Call Home Satellite Sales & Service at 1-800-949-4663. They're not cheap but they'll do everything. They quoted $600 for OTA antenna installation, but their work is guaranteed. Their Dish installation prices are competitive.

Tim L
post #5 of 17 Old 03-08-2002, 10:24 PM

I live a couple miles SW of Puyallup (35 miles from Queen Ann) and can pull in all the local Seattle/Tacoma digital stations. I put up a medium size Radio Shack UHF antenna in the attic and pointed it toward the NNW. Although the terrain rises to the north, I could probably see Queen Anne Hill and Seattle if I was only 50 feet or so higher.

Before I installed my oval dish to the house, I set it on a chair outside to get a good eyeball fix on the elevation and tilt. I don't remember the exact azimuth and elevation but it was more than 5 degrees from calculated value. I was lucky that I could install the dish on the floor of the upstairs deck rather than up on the roof.

I ordered the Sat-C LNB kit through the web but it is on back-order.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Eric, Your reception of analog KONG/16 is a good indicator of the ability to receive KING, KIRO and KOMO, as the KONG antenna is on the same tower as KING. The other two towers are very close...all on Queen Anne Hill. KCTS-DT is on Capitol Hill, I believe, as is KTWB-DT, expected on the air shortly. KCPQ-DT is co-located with analog KCPQ/13, west of Bremerton. Hope this helps a little. Art

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-10-2002, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

****snicker**** KING/KONG tower sombody at the FCC must be quite the jokester to have assigned those call letters in the same DMA.

too bad no WING/W*NG back east.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-10-2002, 03:32 PM

I live in Marysville and use the CM4228 without a pre amp. I get all the stations. KING has not been doing there news in HD the last few days anybody know why?
post #9 of 17 Old 03-10-2002, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

DTC-MAC . KING broadcasting has been in Seattle since the beginning or broadcasting. They started KONG in the last ten years and I would imagine they made a effort to get those call letters.

Rick

RJW
post #10 of 17 Old 03-11-2002, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

I'm going to get a cheap RS antenna and see what kind of luck I have getting KONG 6/16 and go from there.

Eric
post #11 of 17 Old 03-11-2002, 11:40 AM

I live about 25 miles northeast of downtown near the city of Duvall. I use a CM 4248 and CM 7775 and get pretty good reception. I have a question about KING-5 TV signal. I notice that their picture is 16X9 at all times, not just during the HD shows like news and Leno. Are they broadcasting 1080i 16x9 at all times even non-HD shows ???
post #12 of 17 Old 03-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Yup, I think KING is always in 1080i mode. May be 720p during those NBC HD broadcasts. I don't like the looks of their squished picture on upconverted programs.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-25-2002, 06:56 PM

As was suggested above I went to antennaweb.org for my location in Kirkland - it said to get a Small Multidirectional antenna - thats great, but where do I get one from?

I went to RS and all they did was open their product catalog and point to an antenna that was "HDTV Ready". He looked at me blankly when I asked for a multidirectional antenna.

Can anyone help?

2nd Question:
My Panasonic HDTV Receiver along with an eliptical Dish and DirecTivo all arrive tomorrow and I'm not sure how to set it up. I think it comes with a 4x4 multiswitch. Does my OTA antenna plug into this and then the 4 cables come into the house? I'm assuming I'll need a diplexor somewhere.
I basically want 3 satellite feeds (2 for the Tivo and 1 for the HD unit) and 1 OTA feed coming into my living room.

Thanks,
Matt
post #14 of 17 Old 03-25-2002, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

AussieMatt.. I would suggest a search on OTA antennas in Seattle. Some in Kirkland have only to put the reverred Radio Shack double bow tie (another search topic for you) on the set for perfect reception of all local digital stations. Others have used a multitude of UHF antennas or even the Radio Shack VU-120 for both vhf and uhf. I have used the large Radio Shack Yagi with good results and am currently using a AntennaCraft with great results (100% on all stations with Mits SR-HD5 receiver).

You might get by with the small $20 UHF antenna if the bowtie does not do the job. Don't be sucked in to the "HD Ready" label. UHF is UHF and it does not matter if it is a HD signal.

On your dish install. Have you installed a dish before? the Elliptical are kind of tricky. Be sure that you have a perfectly plum mast and that the dish tilt is set correctly before you install the dish on the mast. For your OTA antenna if you only need one feed I would not use a diplexor, but if yo do it would install downstream from the multiswitch. The multiswitch installs on the back of the dish and you then would run a cable to each tuner. Two the Tivo and one the HD receiver. Then run the OTA to the HD receiver and you are set.

Good luck and have fun with your new hardware.

Rick

RJW
post #15 of 17 Old 03-25-2002, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the info Rick - I'll give what you said a go and see what happens. Thanks for the info on installing the Dish too.
I'll post results for others to learn from as have I.
Regards,
Matt
post #16 of 17 Old 04-10-2002, 05:05 PM

I only ended up getting CBS with the double bow tie - am going to return it and try the RadShack VU-120 since I can't be bothered driving to Everett to pick up a ChannelMaster.
Any other people in here from Kirkland area (I'm 10 blocks north of downtown) - what are you guys using?
Thanks,
Matt
post #17 of 17 Old 04-10-2002, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are only interested in digital stations, try the $20 RS Yagi (uhf only) next. Local (RS) cheap and fairly small.

RJW
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page