Response from Hitachi regarding DVI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-12-2002, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I haven't posted here before but here goes.

I read about the big DVI issue and flipped out. I just bought a 53UWX10BA and I've got it coupled with a decent surround system and a JVC SVFA95GD. Anyway here is a copy of an email I sent to Hitachi and their response.

Hello,
I recently purchased the 53uwx10ba HDTV monitor from a Circuit City in Maplewood MN. It is the single greatest purchase I've ever made. The features on this exceed my expectations by leaps and bounds. If I were forced to say something bad about the set it would be the pause while changing channels off the antenna. However I just change channels using the built in PIP, so that point is mute to me.

The reason I'm emailing is because of a furious debate I've read about on nearly every HDTV forum. This is regarding DVI. There are rumors circulating that one will receive a downgraded signal if using component inputs in order to prevent copyrighting.

This television was the single biggest purchase I've ever made, my father helped with the car, so either way this is top two. I spent months researching every model out there. I chose Hitachi because of your quality, history, and reputation. My income is modest at best. I cannot afford to replace this because of one input, nor would I settle for less then the best in my video quality, again why I chose Hitachi. I'm looking for some
sort of feedback on this situation. Including Hitachi's position on this matter and their comments to anyone who purchased there HDTV sets without DVI.

Who I am tells me that I could not let one incident sway my opinion of someone or some company. However given the amount of time and effort on my part to purchase your product, only for it to just become obsolete, in my scope of things is just bad business.

I have the utmost confidence in Hitachi and it's reputation. Thank you very much for your response.

Dear Matthew

Thank you for visiting the Hitachi website and for your inquiry.

The DVI system that is being developed for HDTV does not appear to have any conflicts with any sets that have already been released. This device is being developed to provide copyright protection for studios and production companies. From the current available information, it will actually be in the set top boxes that are released in the future and the main goal for this
type of technology is to NOT render the televisions obsolete since that is where the major investment is being made.

Currently, there is no upgrade or modification kit available that will add inputs, such as firewire. However, even with the advent of firewire, other connections will still be used, such as S-Video, audio/video, and yes, even coax. These connections will not be fazed out. Firewire inputs, otherwise known as DVI transmission is a joint effort by Hitachi and a collaboration of 4 other major manufacturers. It is doubtful that anything would be
developed that would make every product out there obsolete. All that would be needed to receive HDTV on most models is a set-top box that will accept firewire while adapting to your TV. Hitachi is not manufacturing or distributing set top boxes at this time. However, that decision could change. Any box with the proper connectors will work with our TVs. Please consult with your authorized TV dealer for set-top converter box
availability in your area.

Here's another point to consider: Not all areas of the country have HDTV broadcasts. It will be 2006 or later until the entire country is covered. Nobody will be "turning off" the standard NTSC we all get today for many years to come--some say it will be at least 2018, but that is just a guess at this point in time.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-12-2002, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whoslacks
Firewire inputs, otherwise known as DVI transmission is a joint effort by Hitachi and a collaboration of 4 other major manufacturers.
If Hitachi wants their replies to have any semblance of legitamacy, they need to take this line out. Firewire is not the same as DVI.
Quote:
Here's another point to consider: Not all areas of the country have HDTV broadcasts. It will be 2006 or later until the entire country is covered. Nobody will be "turning off" the standard NTSC we all get today for many years to come--some say it will be at least 2018, but that is just a guess at this point in time.
Great ... so I can watch standard NTSC on my high def set. I want to watch high def on my high def set. I didn't buy it to watch standard NTSC ... if that was what I wanted I could have bought a much cheaper set.
Quote:
However, even with the advent of firewire, other connections will still be used, such as S-Video, audio/video, and yes, even coax.
Again ... I bought my TV to watch high def. I don't think any of those connections (except for coax) can carry anything close to a high def signal. Again, if I wanted to get the best picture possible via S-Video and AV connections ... I could have bought a MUCH CHEAPER tv.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-12-2002, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Due to the amount of misinformation in this response, I would say it's almost meaningless.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 5 Old 03-12-2002, 02:16 PM
Hot
Advanced Member

Thar response from Hitachi is another reason I purchased a Mitsubishi WS-55805 in 1999. It is upgradable. At present the Promise Module will have fire-wire connectors. However, I think Mitsubishi will eventually add DVI, since that is what the satellite companies are going to use.

I was told by a Mitsubishi insider that my set would not be obsolete if DVI is adopted. I was told I would not be disappointed when Mitsubishi makes some announcements at it's forthcoming line show.

Mike aka Hot
post #5 of 5 Old 03-12-2002, 04:33 PM
DP1
AVS Special Member

The only way I wont be disappointed with Mitsu is if either:

A) The module is free as long as I pay for the service call, or

B) They throw in one of the D-VHS recorders if they insist on charging me the better part of a grand on the module.

Cause in essence I already gave them the extra grand because this years model that includes the module is almost a grand cheaper than the unit I bought.

;)

Dan

Don't confuse me with facts...
My mind is made up.
;-)
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page