Wfsb in connecticut? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-20-2002, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, just wondering who's getting the hd wfsb in Ct. and what equipment are you using to get,I'm going to be hooking up my hd decoder and wanted an idea of what I could expect,I'm located in Prospect Ct. . also any other hd signals that your getting!!Connecticut hd people your help and input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Jim:rolleyes:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-20-2002, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can receive WFSB using a Silver Sensor antenna and SIR-T150 receiver from the second floor of my house out a window. I live in Naugatuck near the top of Andrew Mountain (~850').

I can receive WTNH (CH 10) anwhere in the house using a ~18" long strip of wire (Silver Sensor is UHF only).

Ken
post #3 of 20 Old 03-20-2002, 10:58 AM

I live in Western CT, in Newtown and cannot receive WFSB. WTNH comes in fine. I have a Samsung SIR-T150 and a RS VS90XR antenna with no pre-amp. I'm ordering a Blake JBX21B. I'll post my results after installing it.

Bruce
post #4 of 20 Old 03-20-2002, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Ken, I asked in another thread if you could get WFSB and I see here that you can. My father lives in Naugatuck at the top of Field Street near Wedgewood Dr and Tanglewood Lane. Not the highest point in Naugatuck, but about as high as you can get on his side of town.

Using a Radio Shack double bow tie, he has been unable to get any signal from WFSB. Zero %. What is your secret? He gets about 79% from WFSB.

And what is a Silver Sensor? I tried a search, but it timed out.

Thanks

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #5 of 20 Old 03-22-2002, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Bump

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #6 of 20 Old 03-24-2002, 06:02 AM

I tried to watch the tourney last night and it looks like WFSB was not HD - did they broadcast last night?

Or maybe my DST3000 has a problem? I just put up my big antenna and get a strength of 100 on both wfsb and wtnh but nothing looked HD last night. Of course HD-Net and HBO were fine.

Thanks
post #7 of 20 Old 03-24-2002, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Jim,

I get WFSB at 100 signal strength but I'm only about 10 miles from the tower. I also get WTNH 10 at around 62 signal strength. My antenna is crappy little Terk and mt STB is a Hughes E86. Big antenna goes up in the attic this summer in hopes of getting Spriongfield PBS and anyone else who decides to go HD.

asunc,

WFSB flipped the switch with 1:34 left in the game last night. I had dosed off and my wife yelled "HEY! THEY JUST WENT HD!" It was about 9:50. I figured they only flipped it because the normal Saturday night programming was coming on. I called WFSB in the first half but no one in the programming area was answering. I hope they are on the ball next week!

GO HUSKIES!

Ralph
post #8 of 20 Old 03-24-2002, 10:35 AM

Matt,

The Silver Sensor is a superb indoor UHF antenna (see www.silversensor.com). Sorry I wrote VHF originally but have since edited it. The signal is very weak and like I said I can only get it from the second floor through a window. So my secret is: a great high gain antenna, a great high sensitivity receiver (SIR-T150) and a lot of altitude (relatively speaking since this is southern CT). Once it gets warm and less windy I am going to put an antenna on the roof although I am somewhat worried that the length of cable will be a problem so I may need to get an amp. Wish the Silver Sensor was weatherproof.

Ken
post #9 of 20 Old 03-24-2002, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AreBee
WFSB flipped the switch with 1:34 left in the game last night. I had dosed off and my wife yelled "HEY! THEY JUST WENT HD!" It was about 9:50. I figured they only flipped it because the normal Saturday night programming was coming on. I called WFSB in the first half but no one in the programming area was answering. I hope they are on the ball next week!

GO HUSKIES!

Ralph
What is up with those guys? I guess they really don't like HDTV, huh? First they have that pitiful little transmitter, now they don't even bother switching to the feed!

I keep hoping I could get rid of Expressvu- but I guess that will never happen with these yahoos running the CBS monopoly.

BTW, Ralph can you pick up WGBY - 58 from Holyoke? I thought I would be able to, but no signal at all. Wonder if anyone in the Ct hills is getting it?
post #10 of 20 Old 03-25-2002, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

asunc,

I can't pick up WGBY either. I usually get a blip on my signal meter, but nothing higher than 6. I check once or twice a week to see if clear weather might bring it in better. My antenna is a piece of junk though, and hopefully when I get a big dog installed in the attic I will have better luck.

As far as WFSB is concerned, remember this thread from last May? I emailed Al Bova a few weeks back about multicasting the NCAA tournament, and the answer I got back was so ambiguous and uninformative. I'm absolutely convinced he despises HD. I'm going to email him again with some positive feedback about the tournament, but it won't be a stellar report card after Saturday's goof. I think I'll wait until after next Monday's game before I send anything. I was hoping to see the Huskies at least one more time in HD but no dice. :(

Ralph
post #11 of 20 Old 03-25-2002, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW, I'm picking up WGBY, WTNH, and WFSB in Windsor. I'm using a Terk 42 dish mounted and have to be very careful how I position it. It's actually kinda hanging on the dish with one clamp, slightly askew from the face of the dish. A couple degrees makes a huge difference. I wouldn't think Farmington is that much further away. It must be terrestial stuff getting in the way of you not getting WGBY.

Andy
post #12 of 20 Old 03-26-2002, 06:52 AM

FYI, here's the response I got back from the WFSB cheif engineer when I asked what happened this weekend. Makes me wonder why they just don't run the HD feed from NY 7x24 on 33-3, when there is no content we get the color bars, 33-1 runs the 480 version all the time so who cares. At least it would avoid these types of problems.

Quote:
"The Final four is in HD and we will make sure it gets on the air. One of the problems we were experiencing with CBS is that they only had HD coming out of one of the locations and it was a bit confusing with the switching, because we still had a different game sometimes on the SD channel. Then to top it off, when they programmed in the times for Saturdays games, it got put under Sundays schedule. I am not aware of any games in HD on Friday.

I have already gone in and programmed the times in for Saturday, March 30 and made sure to give extra time in case the game runs long.

We will broadcast in HD for the Masters. As of right now, I have been told that the broadcast on Thurs and Friday, April 11th and 12th will be 4:00 to 6:30 p.m. and Saturday 3:30-6:30 p.m. and Sunday 2:30 to 7:00 p.m."
post #13 of 20 Old 03-26-2002, 07:54 AM

Well, gotta hand it to the chief engineer at WFSB, he is responsive and honest. Here's his answer to the question of running the HD feed 7x24 on 33-3:

Quote:
"We originally did what you are suggesting but were told by CBS to discontinue because they sometimes feed promos and other material that they don't want available to the public during the unscheduled times. I personally don't see a problem with it, but someone higher than me has directed that we not keep it on 24 hours a day."

Gotta love those corporate types.....:mad:
post #14 of 20 Old 03-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Gotta love those corporate types.....
Isn't it amazing? Just once I'd like to get an answer that doesn't cause me to ask my initial question again. It's a little scary that the engineer didn't know that Duke-Indiana and Pitt-Kent State were in 1080i.

I didn't know that 33-1 was 480p. I thought it was a 1080i upconvert of the SD feed. Does that mean that 33-2 is the 1080i upconvert? On a side note, my Hughes does not remap 33-2 to 3-2. It does remap 33-1 and 33-3 to 3-1 and 3-3 respectively. Anyone else see this?
post #15 of 20 Old 03-26-2002, 12:46 PM

Arbee,
Think I'm saying sort of the same thing on the upconvert issue - was told somewhere along the way that 33-1 (3-1) is an upconverted 480p (upconverted on their end to 1080i) signal.

Not sure if you had a typo below or not, I've never seen anything on 33-2 (3-2).

My Mits box does remap 33-3 to 3-3 OK, as does my HiPix card. However, whatever they are using to point 33-3/3-3 to their standard definition feed on 3-1 does not work on my HiPix. Translation, when there is no HD content running on 33-3/3-3, my HiPix shows a black screen on that channel. The channel number does display as 3-3 however on the HiPix.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-26-2002, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

such,

I do get channel 33-2 but I don't know what it is. Where 3-1 says WFSB-DT in the banner and 3-3 says WFSB-HI, 33-2 just says Regular Schedule. It doesn't get remapped to 3-2 either.

I thought 3-1 was the analog 480i signal upconverted to 1080i. When the High Definition CBS commericial came on 3-3, I quickly flipped to 3-1 to see if it was there too and it was a different commercial. What could that mean, if anything? I should have checked analog 3 and 33-2. If the commercial comes on during JAG tonight, I'll check it out.

Ralph
post #17 of 20 Old 03-26-2002, 02:24 PM

Well, either way (upconverted 480i or 480p) it looks like crap most of the time. Basketball is almost unwatchable it looks so bad - especially when they are simulcasting in HD, because they tend to use wider shots. That's what makes me even hotter when WFSB forgets to flip the switch.

I'll have to check out 33-2/3-2 tonight as well. Never even looked for it as the WFSB engineer never talked about it.

I get my banners/listings grid on my Mits from DirecTV, and they are as you stated (WFSB-DT for 33-1 with listing info, WFSB-HI with no listing info - just regular schedule for 33-2/3-3).

I actually found out today that TitanTv gets their programming info from Tribune Media Services & they don't list programming infor for 33-3, just like DirecTV. They requested it today - so if TMS fixes the listings on 33-3, maybe that will also flow to DirecTV where I get my programming info from on my STB..... that would be a double victory!!

does this make sense..... think I confused myself...... :D

Will let you know about 33-2.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-27-2002, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Such,

I confused myself too!

I checked last night during Judging Amy which was the first time I ever watched it. I wasn't all that bad either.

When I saw the "It's all Here" HD commercial on 3-3, I quickly switched to 33-2 and it WAS showing there as well. PQ seemed the same on both channels. The banner for 33-2 does not list any channel information nor does it list programming info, just "Regular Schedule".

Analog 3 and channel 3-1 were showing a different commercial, and when I punched in 33-3 it said "channel unavailable" for a split second then I was immediately remmaped to 3-3.

3-2 says "channel unavailable".

I believed that 33-2 was being remapped to 3-3 even though the numbers don't jive, but when I punched in 33-3 and it went straight to 3-3 that blew that theory away.

So what do you think ?

Glad to hear about the programming info too. I was actually wondering about that last night.

Ralph
post #19 of 20 Old 03-27-2002, 12:48 PM

Think what you are seeing/saying is the way it's supposed to work.

33-1, remaps to 3-1, 33-3 remaps to 3-3.

Did confirm the problems with DirecTV channel 3-3 listings and TitanTV 3-3 listings are at the source (Tribune Media Services supplies the listings). Talked with them yesterday, they are fixing as we speak - not sure how long it will take for their fix to make its way down stream to Titan/DirecTV, but will keep an eye one it.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-11-2002, 08:42 PM

Anybody have any insight into when WFSB will increase its power beyond being a nightlight?
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page