Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #301 of 8401 Old 10-21-2003, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got the following reply about WSOC's sound issues:

ABC changed their HD delivery system. When we went to Monday Night Football, we had problems. Our Dolby equipment located in our equipment room failed to auto detect 5.1 and caused the problem you heard. This has caused us lots of pain in the last several weeks. I have on order a piece of equipment to install on our automation equipment. We will have the contact closures to eliminate the auto detect function and give a hard switch to the Dolby encoders. Our Master Control operators fail to catch these problems because they are listening to our regular channel 9 audio since it is our money maker. Once again, HD takes a back seat but as time goes on, this will change.

Working on it and I guess all we can do is call at night to make them realize there is a problem and they have several HD viewer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 8401 Old 10-21-2003, 12:30 PM

I received the October newsletter and unfortunately there was no mention of new HD channels. Darn.
post #303 of 8401 Old 10-21-2003, 05:45 PM

I live on the far west side of gaston county and can not get cable. I have D*TV and a Hughes E-86 receiver. To get local HD I hooked up the old rooftop rotary antenna but get terrible drop outs on both picture and sound. Can anyone recommend a solution to my problem. The antenna was already on the house when I moved in and I have never tried to use it until now. I did install a new rotor motor on it but did not replace the antenna. If I had to guess its age I would say about 10-15 years old. The wire coming from the antenna is not the coax type it is flat. Are the new antenna better made or should this suffice? By the way the D*TV HD looks incredible.
post #304 of 8401 Old 10-21-2003, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have one update (Non HD) for the Charlotte TWC System:

SoapNet and Boomerang will be added November 3rd on channels 189 & 190, respectively.
post #305 of 8401 Old 10-22-2003, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yarb,
Can't use flat lead wire with dtv..as it will pickup along the length of the line
and cause the problems you describe. You'll need a new antenna and coaxial cable. From your location, you should not have any problems getting
all 9 of the local dtv stations if you do so.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #306 of 8401 Old 10-23-2003, 05:26 AM

bdfox18doe,
Thanks for the quick reply. I purchased the near fringe Channel Master rated at 60 miles VHF and 45 miles UHF. I also purchased RG-6 cable. The antenna box said it comes with a matching transformer, which I assume allows the coax to connect to the antenna. Does all this sound correct? Should I get the higher powered antenna that is rated at 100 miles VHF and 60 miles UHF? Do you think I will need any type of amplifier? I am surrounded by trees does this factor in to the equation?
post #307 of 8401 Old 10-23-2003, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

You should not need anything else at your location, there should be adequate signal level with that antenna for the Charlotte locals. Trees
will affect the signal, especially when wet, as this tends to increase the dynamic multipath, which can be difficult for the receivers to handle.
You won't know until you actually try it as to how much the trees affect
your reception. In difficult areas, a higher gain antenna that is more directional can help, however if you're trying to pull signals from multiple
angles a less directional antenna is better. Don't use preamps unless absolutely necessary.
I have a silver sensor mounted in a recoton 3000 case (round disc antenna)
which feeds a 4 way amplified splitter to my 4 receivers.. I get all 9 locals
perfectly..Let us know how you come out...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #308 of 8401 Old 10-23-2003, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:

Originally posted by mhdiab
Got the following reply about WSOC's sound issues:

ABC changed their HD delivery system. When we went to Monday Night Football, we had problems. Our Dolby equipment located in our equipment room failed to auto detect 5.1 and caused the problem you heard. This has caused us lots of pain in the last several weeks. I have on order a piece of equipment to install on our automation equipment. We will have the contact closures to eliminate the auto detect function and give a hard switch to the Dolby encoders. Our Master Control operators fail to catch these problems because they are listening to our regular channel 9 audio since it is our money maker. Once again, HD takes a back seat but as time goes on, this will change.

Working on it and I guess all we can do is call at night to make them realize there is a problem and they have several HD viewer.

The same problems cropped up last night on Karen Sisco. I was forced to switch to the SD basic-cable feed (my "back-up") to get the stereo track, while continuing to watch the HD video, so I could hear the dialog. Unfortunately, there is a couple of second delay between the HD (digital) feed and the SD (analog) feed which makes it kind of like watching those old kung-fu movies where the dubbing never matches up with the moving mouths. Not such a big deal on the football telecasts, except when I hear Al Michaels call a touchdown when the ball carrier is still 10 yards from the goal line! Sort of ruins the suspense.

They really need to get a handle on this at WSOC. Does anyone have an e-mail address for an engineer there so that I can add my voice to the chorus when it's needed?
post #309 of 8401 Old 10-23-2003, 08:07 AM

I did my full run through of the local stations last night to make sure everyone was on HD, and WSOC-DT was on HD and 5.1. This was around 10:15PM, I believe. Usually when I notice a problem, I call master control. There's really no specific e-mail address I can think of that would get the attention it needs. I'll call WSOC and ask the master control ppl if there's any e-mail addy they I have I could give out. The problem with not switching to 5.1 is like not switching to HD, it's still a manual process to an extent. The biggest problem the stations have is switching to HD/5.1 after a commercial break, they might remember one but not the other, and I believe it will improve as these stations get a routine of doing it. But I also think that we will see more instances where stations aren't "flipping the switch" to 5.1 as more CBS affiliates upgrade to 5.1.
post #310 of 8401 Old 10-23-2003, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

5.1 switching can be automated to require no operator intervention, it's just not widely known, and is not ABC's suggested method, but works better..We haven't had any complaints on either WCCB's or WOLO's 5.1 switching as I know of..which is totally automatic.

Bob

post #311 of 8401 Old 10-24-2003, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ABC changed their HD delivery system. When we went to Monday Night Football, we had problems. Our Dolby equipment located in our equipment room failed to auto detect 5.1 and caused the problem you heard. This has caused us lots of pain in the last several weeks. I have on order a piece of equipment to install on our automation equipment

Not sure if you read the post....sounds to me like they know the problem and they are getting the piece that will do it automatically. It also sounds like that is how it was done and due to changes with ABC it doesn't work properly anymore....

I have an email, but received it after several phone-calls etc and don't want to post it. If something comes up post it and I will forward.

Can't belive there has been no official announcement about inhd
post #312 of 8401 Old 10-24-2003, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mhdiab
Not sure if you read the post....

Not sure if you've read my post, or signature?

Bob

post #313 of 8401 Old 10-24-2003, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

5.1 switching can be automated to require no operator intervention, it's just not widely known, and is not ABC's suggested method, but works better..

I thought I read - automation can be done, but not preferred method by WSOC and they might not know about it.
I had stated - WSOC has ordered the piece that will automate it

I read your title and apprecite your info and know that you know about 1000times more than me on the subject

So since we are talking here - do you know anything about the FSN plans or is that completely separate from you guys?
post #314 of 8401 Old 10-24-2003, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

FSN plans..No,I don't; the FOX divisions aren't exactly kissing cousins, they tend to operate VERY independently. We haven't heard yet as to FOX's exact plans for us, all we know is HD sometime next year! We should be one of the first to have it tho, we hope...!

Bob

post #315 of 8401 Old 10-24-2003, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

bdfox - you guys should be pushing that Cable in Charlotte has lots of HD content and you think you might be loosing viewers - or still to few to count?

Thanks for the update
post #316 of 8401 Old 10-24-2003, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Not losing viewers, any HD viewers lost at this point are irrelevant, as the analog pays the bills,not HD. It will be a long time before HD generates positive cashflow for anyone, even cable, as initial capital investment costs have yet to recouped, IMHO..
Besides, we have NOTHING to do with FOX networks's decisions, as we are locally and privately owned. It will be a long time before we even come close to recouping any of our significant capital costs, not to mention the
$7,000 per month power bill for "HD" alone.. Until Nielsen counts HD viewers, and there are enough to affect the meter sampling, or ad sales
for HD generate +cash flow..HD doesn't matter. So far, in the almost 1 million Tv housholds in this DMA, there are right at a total of 5,000 HD cable subs..and considerable less OTA receivers.
In essence, yes, too few to count.

Bob

post #317 of 8401 Old 10-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
It will be a long time before HD generates positive cashflow for anyone, even cable, as initial capital investment costs have yet to recouped, IMHO..

Maybe you were just talking about broadcasters? I don't know about positive cash flow, but I think the cash is starting to flow at a pretty good clip for hardware manufacturers. From what I read here, the technology in the direct view HD sets we're buying today has been availble in other countries (specifically Japan) for years. This would indicate that the R&D had been getting covered from that market.

--Dale--
post #318 of 8401 Old 10-25-2003, 03:52 PM

Does anyone know if the upcoming Monday Night Football game will have the same Dolby Digital 5.1 problems or have they been fixed yet? I am planning on having a MNF party and need to know if I will be able to "wow" my guests without running into tech. problems.
post #319 of 8401 Old 10-25-2003, 06:22 PM

If you noticed, WSOC-DT has left Dolby 5.1 on until the automated switching problem is fixed. So everything should be fine for right now with 5.1 left on 24/7
post #320 of 8401 Old 10-27-2003, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

bdfox - I hear what you are saying and understand the argument. However, at some point with or without measuring ratings for HD viewers you can compare the loss of viewers and realize there is a problem - I am not saying we are there, but it might be sooner rather than later. I am a firm beliver that HD will take off after this Christmas - just walk into BB and I am convinced that a TV will be the gift of the year and this time people will buy it to get HD specifically. Either way things are getting better and we hope you will be allowed to update us as you get more news / equipment
post #321 of 8401 Old 10-27-2003, 06:19 AM

Update:

I am the guy from Bessemer City surrounded by trees. I installed the antenna and also had to install an attenuator because channel nine still kept dropping audio and some video distortions.( I believe channel 3 was just to powerful). My only problem now is Fox 18. I get an 86-100 signal but I believe I am getting some sort of interference. When the signal spikes to 100 is when the degradation occurs. It is now the only channel I have problems with. Could this be some FM or AM interference?
post #322 of 8401 Old 10-27-2003, 12:57 PM

bump
post #323 of 8401 Old 10-28-2003, 02:29 PM

Well...only three more days until November and we have yet to hear of any new HD Tier or stations. This is making me go mad I tell you.
post #324 of 8401 Old 10-28-2003, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hi guys
I am in Hickory - can you tell me what I need to pick up Loacal HD chanels??
I have Dish and am setting up an X1 system, and would like to get some HD if possible.
thanks in advance for any suggestions ..
post #325 of 8401 Old 10-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Depending on your exact location you should be able to easily get both WBT-TV and WCNC and the WB channel which carries HDnet as these three are located north of Gastonia. You should also be able to get WSOC which is located on the east side of Charlotte.

I would suggest you go to antennaweb.org and enter your location and you can see what other stations are broadcasting in HD and how far, etc.

Of course you will be able to use your sat. for some HD.

As to equipment needs it depends on what is between you and the towers so I hesitate to start recommending antennas, pre-amps and rotors. You will probably need all three. As an example----ChannelMaster is very good for antennas, models 4228 and 4248 are excellent and they make a good pre-amp, the 7777. The rotor you can get at RS. There is no such thing as an HDTV antenna, you only need what we all used 45 years ago. You should use RG-6Q cable, and amp depends on cable length, etc.

Good luck.
Hugh

Hugh Campbell
post #326 of 8401 Old 11-02-2003, 05:32 AM

I have noticed on the HD Programming board that a lot of people are chapped at Direct TV for not showing the NBA-TV game in high definition last night. Does anyone know if this is available in Charlotte on TWC? I didn't see it on the new NBA channel they added this week (141).
post #327 of 8401 Old 11-03-2003, 01:36 PM

I'm moving to Charlotte from Nashville. I will be living close to intersection of Fairview and Carmel Roads in SE Charlotte. In looking at antennaweb.org, it appears that the majors (ABC,NBC,CBS) don't transmit from the same general direction. I have a CM 4221.....do you think this antenna will work ok for OTA?
post #328 of 8401 Old 11-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

I'm somewhat familiar with the intersection and you should be ok but so many factors go into determining how a signal is received I wouldn't want to guarantee it. The CBS and NBC towers are located due north of Gastonia which is west of Charlotte. Probably 35 miles from that intersection as a rough guess. ABC and Fox are on the northeast side of Charlotte and you should be fine for those as well.

You may need a rotor and pre-amp depending on cable length, etc. We also get HDnet from channel 55-1 and of course PBS. Your current antenna is rated at 45 miles by Channel Master and should work.

Hugh

Hugh Campbell
post #329 of 8401 Old 11-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

I got the following email from TWC today.

"Hi Hugh: sorry to take so long with response. ESPN-HD we thought was finalized....discovered it's not. But we're hoping it will be soon.

Our HD DVR's were due to be here this month, and we found out last week they will be delayed until 1Q '04. That's the bad news. The good news is that your voices are being heard at the Corp. level...they know we have a good HD customer base here and that all of you want additional programming."

I asked about INHD but as you can see it was not mentioned.

Hugh

Hugh Campbell
post #330 of 8401 Old 11-04-2003, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Dolby-5.1 will be made available this Sunday, 11/9, on the following FOX Widescreen NFL games:

1p- Tampa Bay Bucs @ Carolina Panthers

Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page