Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 12 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks so much Bob.......great news about the game. When Fox starts to broadcast in HDTV will it be with Dolby 5.1 like ABC? For me the audio is as important as the video.......for the whole package.

Hugh

Hugh Campbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2003, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Yes, FOX will be doing more 5.1 when they do HD video, But, bear in mind
that the program's producer is the driving factor more than the network is.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Old 11-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

The producer may have the final say but everything I've ever seen on ABC, as you know, is in 5.1. I'm speaking of programming that is an hour long show. One can only hope.

Hugh Campbell
Old 11-05-2003, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone ever received a message through their HD box? I have had HD service since June and have yet to get one.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:17 PM

No, but I did have a potted plant talk to me once. On a side note, don't ever have tequila from a bottle with a scratched off label.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Tequila aside......that was funny......what kind of a box.....cable or sat. or ota only?

Hugh Campbell
Old 11-05-2003, 02:32 PM

What type of messages are you referring to? The only time I can remember getting a message on my cable box was about a year or so ago when the digital cable service went out system wide and my box had a scrolling message of 'Call For Service'.

Quote:

Originally posted by namcap
Has anyone ever received a message through their HD box? I have had HD service since June and have yet to get one.

Old 11-05-2003, 03:51 PM

I'm referring to the current TWC HD box and any type of messages that pertain to their services.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

I've got that box and have never seen a message from them. I've been using their boxes for years and to the best of my knowledge they don't send messages.

Hugh Campbell
Old 11-05-2003, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by namcap
I'm referring to the current TWC HD box and any type of messages that pertain to their services.

I have had the TW HDTV box (SA & then Pioneer) since it was first offered in Charlotte & have never seen any messages flash across the LCD except for the one time it read call for service.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:35 PM

namcap,
TWC does not send messages thru the box.The only message you would get would be from the box itself it had a problem.All service info should be on the twcarolina.com website.

The Humanoid Typhoon!
Old 11-05-2003, 07:13 PM

Why would they not utilize that function for events, upgrades, additional / new stations? That makes no sense to me. I mean really; look at how often twcarolina.com is updated. It took them weeks just to remove the information regarding the USA HD feed for tennis...not to mention the delayed addition notification of our newest HD station (Discovery HD Theater).
Old 11-05-2003, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Hi everyone, I'm glad to see that there is a thread dedicated to Charlotte users. I need help. I got my system installed today which consisted of the Pioneer HD box. This is not the box that I was told I would get. The install guy who was very helpful by the way said that this box was better than thier older Scientific Atlanta unit which would not allow changes in aspect ratio. I was under the impression that I would be getting the new box by SA. I was also surprised to see that this box did not have a digital(optical) audio input! I saw an orange digital audio input which I am not sure about. I have a Toslink cable plugged into my reciever and was really hoping to plug the other end into the cable box. Instead, we had to hook up the...gulp....composite audio cables! Where is my digital audio! Can I get a different cable that will work with this box and still attach to my receiver? To top it all off, it looks like I have a ground loop in the picture! Any suggestions? Is the cable box I have the best that Time Warner has to offer right now? I am totally new to HDTV and would appreciate any information you all can provide about dealing with Time Warner and any additional equipment I might need. I read some replies to this thread talking about antennas and rotors? I thought this was cable, why do I need an antenna? Help!! I know nothing!!
Old 11-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, you have the best box available for HD from TWC. You have component outputs to run either to your receiver for switching or direct to the TV. For Audio you have a coax output or optical, I forget which, and this goes to your receiver. Coax is better than toslink. In the Charlotte area you can also receive HDTV direct from the broadcast stations using an outside antenna.

Hugh

Hugh Campbell
Old 11-06-2003, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Drop Zone.. Call and request that TWC have David Kruger contact you,
he's very knowledgeable and helpful with such problems.
There is no advantage either way between coax or toslink, it is nothing
more than ones and zeros, and at a relatively low bit rate of 384k to boot.
But..
You can get a convertor to convert optical to coax (bi directionally)that will allow you to connect the box to your receiver. Locally, they can be gotten at the guitar center for about $75..you'll need a Midiman CO2 or a Fostex COP1..other mfg's such as Hosa make them as well. You can also order these from mcmelectronics.com They are of lesser quality but work fine, for about $20.. and are not bidirectional. The Midiman is bi-directional and allows you to split the digital outputs should you need to feed multiple sources as I do.
Good luck..!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. Instead, we had to hook up the...gulp....composite audio cables

Ok as stated this is a no issue - toshlink or composite doesn't make a difference just get a good cable and route it to the Receiver.

The box you have is much better than the old box and they also have the DVI turned on so if you have DVI input on your TV then get a DVI cable and hook that up and your picture will improve. TWC is great here in Charlotte they just suck at informing their customers, but their service is great.

This forum is a mix of Direct-TV, Dish, Cable, Over-The Air (OTA) antenna customers and you will read lots of posts that doesn't affect you (nor me) and just ignore those and let others answer those.
Post any other issues and people will help you out. Also on the box hit Settings then the A button (I think) to go in and change aspect ratios, output format etc for best setup with your STB
Old 11-06-2003, 07:37 AM

I would recommend only getting the DVI cable if you have a fixed pixel display, plasma, etc. I have a Sony CRT tv and the PQ on the HD stations was not good when I was using the DVI cable through the Pioneer box. Component was much better.

The only thing I don't like about the Pioneer box is that you can't control the volume through the box when you use the digital output. Have to switch to the receiver to turn the volume up or down. You can program the remote to control your recevier but it's annoying nonetheless.

Is there some technical reason why the box sends digital audio at a constant level and won't allow you to change it through the box itself?
Old 11-06-2003, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

I suggested Coax over Toslink because of the connectors themselves. Toslink is subject to falling off whatever it is connected to while the coax uses RCA jacks which are much more stable.

Hugh

Hugh Campbell
Old 11-06-2003, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

My understanding from an engineer that designs stb's, is that with dvi,
the rgb is converted to digital inside the stb for "access control purposes"and then decoded again by the monitor. This is confirmed by
examining the schematic of my sony 40xbr800 and 50xbr800..which would
support what scoffer says about PQ being better with component..
I haven't actualy tried that, but now I will.

The digital audio is constant as it is not audio, but actually data in AC3 format, and it is practically impossible to change the level of the digital output in that form. Hence it has to be done after decoding to analog.

As to toslink cables,I agree with you on that point Hugh, I have an over priced monster crapple optical cable that has fallen apart on me.
MCM Electronics has a great selection of toslink cables that are just as good, cost significantly less, and are better made IMHO! They have them
in up to 30' lengths, and kits that you can make your own custom
lengths as well.

Bob

Old 11-06-2003, 02:22 PM

exactly, when using the dvi connection the STB transmits a digital signal to the TV and then the tv has to convert it back to analog for display, and somewhere in this process the picture quality gets degraded. Component is analog all the way through. I think this means that the STB has a better DA converter than my TV.

Duhhh on the digital audio! I should have figured that out before I finished typing the question! Thanks!
Old 11-07-2003, 04:48 AM

I just started using DVI with the Pioneer 3510HD STB with my Panasonic plasma. In my opinion the picture is slightly clearer with less pixelation using DVI over component. I notice the improved picture more with SD material than HD.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't really see a difference with the HD picture. What I do see is that it takes much longer to "load" the page and there is some disturbance. I thought with DVI the picture remained digitial - could it be different tv's etc?

However, I know that all the digital channels and the analog channels looks much better - not sure why or how so appreciate any info on that
Old 11-10-2003, 11:59 AM

New update:

I have tried numerous combinations of attenuators,preamps and amps. I now have a perfect 100% on 3, 18, 36, 46, and 55, but only a 51% on 9 ( Ihave not seen any problems yet. I will know tonight during the game). I do not know if it is because I am loosing more leaves or the fact that I re-crimped all my cable ends or if the height of my antenna changed in a small way.
As it stands right now I am not using any attenuators or preamps. I hope this gives others hope in a great HDTV experience, and that my signal is this good when the leaves come back.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

I'm in Gastonia and WSOC is the weakest signal by far. They are running low power and are on the east side of Charlotte. Propagation has been excellent this last week or so.

Hugh

Hugh Campbell
Old 11-11-2003, 05:48 AM

All right I can not take this anymore. When I went to bed Sunday night every thing was perfect. I got home last night and I have all of the same problems on every channel. The picture breaks up and the sound goes away.
My signal is now swinging from 80's to 100 and down to 70's on some channels. Channel 9 which was a solid 51 now drops to 40's and back up to 51. This has to be some sort of interference, but I have no idea what it could be. If I can't get this fixed I will have to give up.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

J..
Don't you have the mits box? I had a similiar problem with mine overheating, and producing the same results. Where do you have it sitting?
In side a cabinet, or atop another piece of equipment? Do you have any sort of fan you can put on it to see it that clears the problem?

Bob

Old 11-11-2003, 08:46 AM

I have the Hughes E-86. Is that the same thing internally. I am willing to try anything! I did how ever watch it all day sunday with out any problems.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Hughes, Mits and Toshiba are all the same chassis, made by Hughes..

Bob

Old 11-11-2003, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
For those unaware, the old HDTV list hosted at fortmill went belly up a little over a month ago. It has been reactivated in connection with the www.nchdtv.com site. If you were a member of the old fortmills list, you should have received an invite to join the new list. If you didn't receive an invite or wish to join, go to www.w4cl.net/mailman/listinfo and click on nchdtv and join.

The list is open to all with an interest in North Carolina HD and the areas that overlap from South Carolina and Virginia.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HughScot
Yes, you have the best box available for HD from TWC. .... In the Charlotte area you can also receive HDTV direct from the broadcast stations using an outside antenna.

Hugh

Are you saying that this box includes an OTA receiver?

Ron