Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #391 of 7944 Old 11-25-2003, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm taking delivery on a HD set next week. So I called TWC about their newest STB, and they said they're installing the Pioneer Voyager 3500HD, which has the DVI output, BUT I was told that the DVI is not yet enabled.

Is this correct? Reading this forum, it looks as though the DVI has been enabled for some folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 7944 Old 11-26-2003, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

DVI IS enabled here in Charlotte - no doubt about it since I was using it.......

Others - heard that FSN made another Official announcement and will be on TW so that should give us more hockey and NBA. The one thing I have been wondering about is that during hurricanes game they advertise Hurricanes in HD - is this only (so far) been available in Raleigh or is there something we can see too???
post #393 of 7944 Old 11-26-2003, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hurricans are only in HD on WRAZ-DT50 OTA or on TWC WRAZ-DT CH.250 in Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville. If you get WRAZ in Charlotte you can see them in HD.

Nov. 8 Canes vs. Los Angeles, 7pm
Nov. 9 Canes vs. Tampa Bay, 5pm
Dec. 3 Canes vs. Nashville, 7pm
Dec. 5 Canes vs. Montreal, 7pm
Dec. 18 Canes vs. Pittsburgh, 7pm
Dec. 29 Canes vs. Buffalo, 7pm
Dec. 31 Canes vs. Anaheim, 7:30pm
Jan. 20 Canes vs. Ottawa, 7pm
Jan. 23 Canes vs. N.Y. Islanders, 7pm
Jan. 25 Canes vs. Buffalo, 1:30pm
Feb. 16 Canes vs. Florida, 7pm
March 10 Canes vs. Tampa Bay, 7pm
March 12 Canes vs. Atlanta, 7pm
March 25 Canes vs. Florida, 7pm
post #394 of 7944 Old 11-26-2003, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
In regard to the Hockey games I talked with TWC in Raleigh and in Charlotte last year. Unfortunately TWC in CLT could not put it together to carry the programming for some contractual reason. Of course it is Jim Goodman (WRAL) who put the deal together for the Raleigh area. Sure wish they could have done something in Charlotte as Hockey is perfect in 16x9 and HD.

Hugh Campbell
post #395 of 7944 Old 11-26-2003, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 71
if you like hockey...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #396 of 7944 Old 11-26-2003, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Bob,

Would you care to finish: "If you like hockey.............." Don't know if you are laughing at someone who enjoys ice hockey or if you really had something to say. Ha!

Hugh

Hugh Campbell
post #397 of 7944 Old 11-26-2003, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

no, not laffin at ya, but can't quite watch hockey..even in hd..
Ha!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #398 of 7944 Old 11-27-2003, 05:10 PM

Bob, I enjoy your posts here, but here's one time I've got to blast you.

The "locals" may not get hockey, but look at the population boom in this town and accept the fact that there are so many northerners in this town now and we live for hockey...and could care less about the NBA.

I have the NHL Center Ice package, attend many NHL games in Raleigh, DC, Atlanta & Pittsburgh, and, I play twice a week here in town so I'd like to think I know a bit about the game. The worst thing about hockey on tv is the quality of the picture is just plain awful. It's so hard to watch because the color of the broadcast is just bad....but I do watch because game is awesome...it's fast, it's rough, and those guys are the most physically in shape athletes on the planet.

I'm going to have a good laugh when the Bobcats open for business and fail miserably. The NBA's product stinks and this town just won't support it...but the good news is we'll have this $300M+ arena that no one wanted to pay for after the Bobcats leave town with their tails between their legs.
post #399 of 7944 Old 11-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

As someone born in Canada I must comment. Hockey is for the cerebral since it is the fastest game in the world and you have to understand what is going on or you just end up thinking it is one big fight. I love hockey and don't intend to blast anyone who doesn't know anything about the skills required to play the game and therefore can't have an opinion. By the same token I also like the NBA and the NFL, ACC, etc. I was totally in favor of the new arena and only fault the city council for not having the guts to go ahead with it sans referendum.

Charlotte needs pro sports and the more the better. I personally will support the Bobcats and think the city will as well so long as we try to truly be winners. Only narrow sighted people are against the arena, the same people who don't go to games or don't do much of anything except stay home and drink beer and complain. They don't understand the economic impact of having professional sports and the draw it is for large companies to locate or relocate in the area. The arena will indirectly give back to the community many times it's cost and at the same time will help to revitalize the uptown area. While I have grown up in CLT and spend most of my life in the area I have lived in a number of large northern cities. I can assure you that a dead uptown, as Cleveland and Baltimore once had, is the worse thing that can happen to a city.

We need more than just racin' because we are a very large, diverse city with people from all over the nation.

Rant over.

Hugh Campbell
post #400 of 7944 Old 11-27-2003, 07:50 PM

I have a SA 3250HD box from TWC. Does anyone know how to get into the diagnostic menu on it so that I can see if I have any hidden channels?
post #401 of 7944 Old 11-27-2003, 08:40 PM

Hey guys,

I just ordered a new HDTV (philips 30" ws) and wanted to check this thread to see what's going on.

I know a lot of the tricks of the trade on the video side, but i work in data all day. For the stuff that i don't know I'm cool with some of the guys in Customer Service for HD and in engineering, so if you guys have any questions i'll find out for you, but you all seem pretty resourceful.

peace,
ant
post #402 of 7944 Old 11-27-2003, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Anthony, you folks at TWC have been very helpful to me and especially Sue Breckenridge who usually keeps me up to date on current events.

My question is how soon are we going to get ESPN-HD and also any update on the HD PVR coming from SA? Last we heard it was early 2004.

I've had RR for over three years and so far no complaints.

Hugh

Hugh Campbell
post #403 of 7944 Old 11-28-2003, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jbryer
I've got to blast you. ..the Bobcats open for business and fail miserably. ..arena that no one wanted.

My.. a nasty crowd here on the holiday aren't we?

That's fine, realize that many of us feel the same way about hockey that you do about the NBA.. IMHO, both hockey and the NBA are a waste bandwidth, but to each his own.. And I'm not an Overt nascar fan either,
oh yea.. nascar isn't done in hd..yet..

NOT wanting the arena myself, (we already have one that still has the shine on it) I do hope the Bobcats succeed not only to show the Hornets and Shinn we didn't need them after all, but for the positive impact on
the local economy that a successful team will bring. Of course, having
a real businessman like Johnson running the team will make a difference.

Bob

post #404 of 7944 Old 11-28-2003, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HughScot
Anthony, you folks at TWC have been very helpful to me and especially Sue Breckenridge who usually keeps me up to date on current events.

My question is how soon are we going to get ESPN-HD and also any update on the HD PVR coming from SA? Last we heard it was early 2004.

I've had RR for over three years and so far no complaints.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, we have a pretty good plant and headend system in the gaston subsystem, so the rr is very stable out there :-)

Well, we have no clue when ESPN HD will be avaiable to us, its still being worked out between us and Disney. It basically comes down to the price that we will have to pay to transmitt it. The main reason that we have to raise rates is because of the increased cost of programming. To make a long story short, ESPN is our most expencive network to broadcast along with Disney Channel (coidenence (sp), i think not LOL) and they want even more to do ESPN HD. We would love to have it because some of the sat companies can hold that over our heads right now

No update on the HD DVR, we dont have the unit ourselves, and once we get the physical units coming in it may be a month or two before they are avaiable. employees beta tested the regular DVR for 2 months before it was released. I'll be sure to let you know when we get them in :-)

peace,
ant
post #405 of 7944 Old 11-28-2003, 10:11 AM

Nothing personal Bob. When hockey doesn't get the respect it should, I feel it's my responsiblity to voice my opinion.

I'm just sick of the NBA and NASCAR (both of which I can't stand) getting all of the bandwidth and media attention. I just want my NHL center ice package in HD...and I'd be willing to pay for it too.
post #406 of 7944 Old 11-28-2003, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome ANT..Glad to finally have an insider from TWC here..hopefully
you won't get censored.. :>)

Bob

post #407 of 7944 Old 11-30-2003, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

ANT........how about checking on something. Last night while watching the Carolina Hurricanes there was a ad by TWC which said that the Dec. 7 game would be available on TWC in HD on either channel 250 or 251. I only saw it for about a second and maybe it only applied to Raleigh but the game was on Fox Sports cable channel 40.

Hugh Campbell
post #408 of 7944 Old 12-01-2003, 03:42 PM

hey hugh, i'm asking around, i havent found anything about it around here. I'll keep ya posted...

update:
bad news, its in raleigh only, someone just sent me the link
http://www.aroundtownnc.com/sports/canes_hdtv.htm
post #409 of 7944 Old 12-02-2003, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

This is the same question I raised earlier and the answer is about the same. However, TW and FSN has announced a national agreement. Part of that agreement is 10 NHL local games and 10 NBA local games - local defined as the FSN area - South, Central etc (4 total).

I am still hoping that this is announced as these games, besides all the info about that not being correct, will be up in HD soon. Maybe not the first game, but down the road...
post #410 of 7944 Old 12-03-2003, 06:35 AM

As of December 1, I gave up hopes of getting ESPN-HD on TWC any time soon! With the Tar Heels vs. Illinois and the Panthers vs. Falcons on ESPN-HD this week, I couldn't wait any longer! After watching the UNC-Illinois game on ESPN-HD from DIRECTV last night, I'm wondering what took me so long! It was FANTASTIC!!! The DIRECTV HD package also includes HDNet and HDNet Movies--both of which are far superior to INHD and INHD2--and Discovery HD.

On Monday, I took the SA HD receiver back to TWC. I went to Best Buy and found the new Hughes HTL-HD Directv/Cable/OTA receiver for $ 399.99.

So now here's my programming package:

DIRECTV Total Choice: $ 38.99
DIRECTV HD Package: 10.99 (1st. month is free however)
TWC BASIC Package (which INCLUDES the network HD channels): $ 8.30

TOTAL PER MONTH: $ 58.28 (plus taxes)

I'm very happy now with my HD choices!!!
post #411 of 7944 Old 12-03-2003, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by herrfish1
As of December 1, I gave up hopes of getting ESPN-HD on TWC any time soon! With the Tar Heels vs. Illinois and the Panthers vs. Falcons on ESPN-HD this week, I couldn't wait any longer! After watching the UNC-Illinois game on ESPN-HD from DIRECTV last night, I'm wondering what took me so long! It was FANTASTIC!!! The DIRECTV HD package also includes HDNet and HDNet Movies--both of which are far superior to INHD and INHD2--and Discovery HD.

As I see it you are getting ESPN-HD in exchange for network primetime HD programming. HDnet is available free OTA from WB channel 55-1. Plus everything from DirecTV is compressed while cable is not. Plus TWC will have ESPN-HD in the next couple of months. As a huge sports fan I would jump in a NY minute if I thought ESPN-HD had enough programming. Glad you are happy.

Hugh Campbell
post #412 of 7944 Old 12-03-2003, 07:20 AM

Wrong, Hugh! I'm still getting the Charlotte local channels (INCLUDING THE PRIMETIME HD FEEDS) with the Basic TWC package. I'm too far away to pick up the feeds OTA from Charlotte.

Also, ESPN-HD is becoming much more active with basketball (NCAA and NBA) and NHL hockey, in addition to college football and the NFL!

Happy waiting!!!
post #413 of 7944 Old 12-03-2003, 07:39 AM

Anyone noticed the ABC HD feed's signal strength drop off when receiving it OTA? I noticed it starting Monday when trying to tune in MNF. I've always struggled to get ABC vs all the others but something dramatic has changed. A coworker of mine is seeing the same thing. Anyone else noticing less signal strength than normal?
post #414 of 7944 Old 12-03-2003, 07:49 AM

Herrfish1,

How are you able to receive the prime time HD feeds with the basic TWC package after you turned in your HD reciever?
post #415 of 7944 Old 12-03-2003, 08:46 AM

Brad--the Hughes HTL-HD receiver receives unscrambled cable signals, over-the-air channels, and DIRECTV channels--and blends them seamlessly together!
post #416 of 7944 Old 12-03-2003, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The Mits Integrated sets do as well..

Bob

post #417 of 7944 Old 12-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by herrfish1
Brad--the Hughes HTL-HD receiver receives unscrambled cable signals, over-the-air channels, and DIRECTV channels--and blends them seamlessly together!

But without the TWC HD box you are unable to receive HD programming from TWC using the Hughes HTL-HD receiver. You may be watching network broadcasting but not in HD.

The Mits Integrated set also will not allow you to watch TWC HD programming without the TWC HD Box. This was the point of Brad's post, you gave up network HD in favor of ESPN-HD.

Hugh Campbell
post #418 of 7944 Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry Hugh, But you are incorrect. Not only have I personally seen this,
but have discussed it with TWC's engineers as well. The OTA HD's are currently carried as unencrypted 256 qam signals, which both devices
mentioned will decode.

Bob

post #419 of 7944 Old 12-03-2003, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry, I was told by TWC that you had to have the box inorder to receive network HD programming. Learn something new every day.

Hugh Campbell
post #420 of 7944 Old 12-03-2003, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Now Hugh, you don't actually believe TWC would tell someone they could get something for free do you? If I'm not mistaken, they have to pass these on unencrypted as part of the "basic" or lifeline service..
Of course, it only takes a simple command change to encrypt them at a
moments notice..

Bob

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page