Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #421 of 7958 Old 12-03-2003, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bob--you're right on--as usual! You guys should have seem the runaround I got when I signed up for basic cable just to get the HD locals! The DIRECTV locals cost $ 5.99 per month. So, for an additional $ 2.31 monthly, I get more local channels, as well as the network HD programming. So TWC is not all bad! I suppose if many people get wise to it though, they'll "pull the plug!" So let's keep it quiet!!!LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 7958 Old 12-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This just in, SA has announced that their new HD-DVR box is available to TWC viewers in Green Bay, WI. The following link explains it all. Hope Charlotte is soon to follow.

http://www.sciatl.com/news/03Dec03-1.htm

Hugh Campbell
post #423 of 7958 Old 12-03-2003, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

From the Triad TW site - I am sure this will apply to us as well since it matches some info on the main page.

Hockeyin HD
Tuesday 1/6/04 St. Louis vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Thursday 1/15/04 Tampa Bay vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Saturday 1/31/04 Detroit vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Tuesday 2/3/04 Colorado vs. Carolina 9:00pm
Thursday 2/12/04 Washington vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Thursday 2/19/04 Toronto vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Saturday 2/21/04 Boston vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Tuesday 3/2/04 Columbus vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Saturday 3/13/04 Tampa Bay vs. Carolina 7:30pm
Tuesday 3/23/04 Philadelphia vs. Carolina 7:30pm

Also the NBA HD schedule looks awsome - I was hoping for ACC Sunday Nights hoops in HD, but nothing yet - keep hoping though
post #424 of 7958 Old 12-03-2003, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:

Originally posted by HughScot
HDnet is available free OTA from WB channel 55-1. Plus everything from DirecTV is compressed while cable is not.

Whoa, couple of mistakes there, Hugh.

That's not the "real" HDNet you're seeing on WCCB. It's their OTA version which just consists of old and outdated programming designed as eye-candy for store displays, I'm guessing. Nothing current and and no Bikini Destinations!

Also, digital cable appears to be just as badly compressed as the two DBS companies for SD stuff - they all look like s**t. Now, that being said, it's been pretty well documented that DirecTV is compressing their HD material due to bandwidth limitations. DISH Network (my provider) has a better looking HD picture and I've heard TWC is equivalent.

~archie
post #425 of 7958 Old 12-03-2003, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the information guys.
post #426 of 7958 Old 12-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry Archie, you're wrong. What you see on WB is true HDnet programming. They buy it from HDnet as a package and it is a combination of the two HDnet channels available from the sats. The progamming on WB may not be to your liking but it is HDnet. Personally I don't think HDnet from the sats is much to talk about.

Also, both of the sats compress their signals and TWC does not. I've had all three and have had DirecTV and TWC and OTA at the same time. According to people all over the USA subscribing to HDTVmagazine it is universally accepted that both DirecTV and Dish look poor in comparison to cable and TWC in particular. TWC looks as good as the networks when viewed OTA, in fact I can tell no difference between the two. With the sats this is not true. I am speaking only of HDTV and not SD which I consider to be the same with cable and the sats.

Hugh Campbell
post #427 of 7958 Old 12-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cmjman
Anyone noticed the ABC HD feed's signal strength drop off when receiving it OTA?

I've been working on some headend stuff, so I've been keeping track of signal strengths for the past few months. Although I've been changing things, ABC has been pretty stable. The last time I recorded a set of measurements was a few weeks ago. Tonight ABC is lower than it was earlier. Check this new Charlotte OTA thread for specifics.

--Dale--
post #428 of 7958 Old 12-03-2003, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

NBA Lakers game is on the guide for Inhd tonight, but no game on. Does anyone have any insight? Is it a inhd screwup? our market doesn't get it? TW screwup?
post #429 of 7958 Old 12-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

No NBA game is shown in the guide I use for either INHD channel. Have not ever seen a live game scheduled for either of these channels.

Hugh Campbell
post #430 of 7958 Old 12-03-2003, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hugh - there was one about three weeks ago. I found out that the scheduled game was cancelled as HD. Should be on the 9th of this month on inhd 1 - TW's guide is showing it also on the third, but that was altered
post #431 of 7958 Old 12-04-2003, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry Archie, you're wrong. What you see on WB is true HDnet programming. They buy it from HDnet as a package and it is a combination of the two HDnet channels available from the sats. The progamming on WB may not be to your liking but it is HDnet. Personally I don't think HDnet from the sats is much to talk about.

Uh, nope, you're the one who's mistaken, Hugh! Have you checked out their programming on OTA HDNet? There are football games from last year, Mark Cuban interviews from last year, CEDIA reports from 2 years ago, etc., etc. I repeat, nothing current, and nothing that mirrors the real HDNet programming available from the DBS services and TWC's HD package. If you can catch Bikini Destinations, or a current World Report on OTA HDNet, or anything produced recently, you let us know, 'kay?

And as to compression on TWC, I don't have it, but I've seen their digital lineup at friend's houses, and it contains all the over-compressed video artifacts evidenced on both DBS services. I don't know about their HD content, having not seen that.
post #432 of 7958 Old 12-04-2003, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by archiguy
And as to compression on TWC, I don't have it, but I've seen their digital lineup at friend's houses, and it contains all the over-compressed video artifacts evidenced on both DBS services. I don't know about their HD content, having not seen that.

As you say "I don't have it." and furthermore you don't have their HD and haven't seen it. I am ONLY talking about HD. And HD is far superior from TWC than it is from the sats. Only when you have seen it can you comment on how something looks.

Hugh Campbell
post #433 of 7958 Old 12-04-2003, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As you say "I don't have it." and furthermore you don't have their HD and haven't seen it. I am ONLY talking about HD. And HD is far superior from TWC than it is from the sats. Only when you have seen it can you comment on how something looks.

I repeat, and for the last time, that it's been well documented here on the Programming Forum and elsewhere, that DirecTV is having bandwidth issues that has caused them to compress their HD signals, thereby "softening" the picture. This does not happen with DISH Network as they have a) more bandwidth to play width, and b) a more efficient modulation scheme called 8PSQ. There are plenty of threads discussing this over on the Programming Forum. I suggest you do a seach before you make misleading claims without an appropriate level of knowledge.

As to the quality of TWC HD, I have no reference to speak of - they may indeed broadcast their high definition programming with a quality equal to DISH Network. It will not, however, be superior.
post #434 of 7958 Old 12-04-2003, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Originally posted by archiguy
a more efficient modulation scheme called 8PSQ.

It's 8PSK...FOX uses it as well.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #435 of 7958 Old 12-04-2003, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
It's 8PSK...FOX uses it as well.

Thanks Bob, you're correct as usual; made a typo there.
post #436 of 7958 Old 12-04-2003, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

must be using the same brand keyboard as I do..It has problmes reading
my mind as well. :>)

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #437 of 7958 Old 12-04-2003, 02:29 PM

sorry, we wont be carring those here in charlotte

Quote:

Originally posted by mhdiab
From the Triad TW site - I am sure this will apply to us as well since it matches some info on the main page.

Hockeyin HD
Tuesday 1/6/04 St. Louis vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Thursday 1/15/04 Tampa Bay vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Saturday 1/31/04 Detroit vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Tuesday 2/3/04 Colorado vs. Carolina 9:00pm
Thursday 2/12/04 Washington vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Thursday 2/19/04 Toronto vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Saturday 2/21/04 Boston vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Tuesday 3/2/04 Columbus vs. Carolina 7:00pm
Saturday 3/13/04 Tampa Bay vs. Carolina 7:30pm
Tuesday 3/23/04 Philadelphia vs. Carolina 7:30pm

Also the NBA HD schedule looks awsome - I was hoping for ACC Sunday Nights hoops in HD, but nothing yet - keep hoping though

post #438 of 7958 Old 12-04-2003, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry, we wont be carring those here in charlotte

How sure are you about that? TW National has an agreement with FSN and the Triad will have the games - not just Raleigh.... - Doesn't make any sense to me so how sure are you?
post #439 of 7958 Old 12-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

I wish it wasn't true but no hockey in Charlotte. They started this last season and I investigated it and talked to the people at TWC in Charlotte and the station in Raleigh providing the equipment and doing the telecast. The Raleigh folks said they had met with TWC in Charlotte and for reasons I don't know, nothing could be worked out.

Wish it was true but stealthhg2000 works for TWC in Charlotte so he should know.

Hugh Campbell
post #440 of 7958 Old 12-04-2003, 06:49 PM

Yes i'm very sure, I asked someone in our HD support department. As Hugh said, the Raleigh Division is providing the equipment for it and for some reason we didn't join in. Trust me, you would be seeing all types of ads for that if were were broadcasting it, lol. You hockey fans should speak up, maybe we'll pick it up next year...

peace,
ant
post #441 of 7958 Old 12-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by stealthg2000
You hockey fans should speak up, maybe we'll pick it up next year...
peace, ant

I wrote and called several times last year and it had something to do with contracts with NHL, etc. I'm sure it could be done if someone at TWC wanted it bad enough.

I saw in TWICE that of all the customers TWC has all over the country that only 100,000 had an HD box. Makes us rather small potatoes.

Hugh Campbell
post #442 of 7958 Old 12-05-2003, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wrote and called several times last year and it had something to do with contracts with NHL, etc. I'm sure it could be done if someone at TWC wanted it bad enough.

That is my whole point - this is NOT the same as last year. Last year it was WRAZ production and local for Raleigh - Charlotte didn't want to pay. This year there is a CONTRACT for 10 local games in NHL in HD with FSN and TW - sorry guys I am still convinced that when January comes this will be on - we will see. However, check out the FSN NBA and NHL threads on the main page of HD programming and you might see that this is totally new and for regions and by TW only - that is an agreement between TW and FSN and nobody else is on this bandwagon.

No point in arguing this one more, we will see in January and I know we all hope I am right
post #443 of 7958 Old 12-05-2003, 08:55 AM

As much as I hate to change the subject from hockey (I'm kidding, of course -- not a big fan here), I've heard a rumour that the Sunday night Panthers/Falcons game will be broadcast locally on channel 9 in HD. It makes sense since ESPN is broadcasting it on ESPN HD, and by NFL rules the local area must have the game broadcast locally for those fans that don't have cable/satellite, and since channel 9 is the ABC affiliate, which in turn is affiliated with ESPN, then channel 9 will get the HD feed a be able to broadcast it out. If this rather long string of logic is true, then that's pretty sweet. I'm getting my HD OTA right now, and since I don't have satellite, I'd hate to be limited to a SD broadcast of the game. In fact, this would be the first true HD broadcast of a Panthers game ever!

Anyone hear something about this?
post #444 of 7958 Old 12-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

I love the optimism. The Panthers will be shown on WSOC and ESPN but whether or not it will be in HD on WSOC remains to be seen. Sure hope so.

Hugh Campbell
post #445 of 7958 Old 12-05-2003, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't get my hopes up..while ABC and ESPN both use 720p, they use
different methods of satellite transport. I doubt WSOC has the Digicipher2
HD receiver, or would get one in and connect it for one game.
Of course, I could be wrong..and would be happy to be in this case.

BTW, this would be the Second true HD broadcast of the Panthers..
WBTV carried a CBS game years ago from Ericsson..I think they still
have the tapes over there..

Bob

post #446 of 7958 Old 12-05-2003, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
BTW, this would be the Second true HD broadcast of the Panthers..
WBTV carried a CBS game years ago from Ericsson..I think they still
have the tapes over there..

I was there for that game...They used the NHK Truck, right?

The NBA All Star Game in Charlotte 1991 was taped in HD by NHK. I remember they had 2 cameras, one high and one on the floor. They had 2 monitors, a direct view set near the interview room and a projection setup in the press tent.

Testing123
post #447 of 7958 Old 12-05-2003, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you're right there Harrill!
I was there for that game as well..working the DT broadcast at BT..
Played those test tapes many a times..

Bob

post #448 of 7958 Old 12-05-2003, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

From Raleigh Thread

Quote:

EDIT: In "hidden mode" - they have the channel bar for 290 as ESPN-HD, 293 as HDNET, and 294 as HDNET Movies. None are showing programming - just a black screen.

More is coming - they are also saying ESPN-HD for New Years in Raleigh you know all of these are national agreements........
post #449 of 7958 Old 12-06-2003, 03:06 PM

lol, i think thats a little bit of optimisim from the Raleigh Division! reserving space is one thingBut you are correct that ESPN-HD will be a national agreement, so once's its approved all TWC divisions will be able to carry it.

peace,
ant
post #450 of 7958 Old 12-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Are you TWC guys in Charlotte still getting INHD and INHD2 for no additional charge?

Here in Durham, they've added INHD and INHD2 - but it's part of "HD Suite", a new HD Tier that costs an additional $6.95/mo. TWC says new channels will be added to this tier at no additional charge. (And by the hidden channels, it seems they have plans for ESPN-HD, HDNet, and HDNet Movies).

Since paying the carriage fee for ESPN-HD was the main hold-up for TWC, I would think that adding a new pay tier would clear the final obstacle and we should see ESPN-HD fairly soon. It just makes me mad they didn't just go this route to begin with! It makes me sick to think that I missed all those HD games for no reason. Booooo.

Better late than never, I guess.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page