Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 7959 Old 08-13-2002, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody have any Charlotte NC update... I'm Concord and was wondering if you are using Time Warner (whom I have called and emailed with no response) or OTA. Seems like the OTA towers are in Gastonia and Charlotte directions for those of us in the burbs.

PS. Is there going to be any football other than the SuperBowl in HD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 7959 Old 08-13-2002, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
No

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #33 of 7959 Old 08-17-2002, 11:58 AM

So is there any update on WSOC? Earlier in the thread TWC said they would be up and running by July's end and this, to my knowledge, has not happened.

Any ideas?

ed
post #34 of 7959 Old 08-24-2002, 07:38 PM

Add me to the "TWC 3100 Explorer HD Charlotte Club"...
Observations:
Occasional audio dropouts.
CBS is awesome to have so much of their stuff in HD.
TWC guys said I didn't need an amp.
Analog channels look as usual, here and there.
Digital channels don't look quite as soft as DirecTV- good or bad it depends.

Hey FOX guy, when are we going to see some FOX in HD on TimeWarner? and what does FOX even show in HD? anything?

By the way, ABC (WSOC HD) is on Channel 834...I just happened to come across it last night surfing. Now if they would only show MNF in HD.
post #35 of 7959 Old 08-25-2002, 06:26 AM

"ABC (WSOC HD) is on Channel 834" How do you get this? Are they on all the time? I cannot get to channel 834? I have been waiting for ABC for a long time.

I wish FOX and TWC could work together. Seems all the other channels can work something out. It would appear that FOX might be to blame. If all other locals networks, can work something out why not FOX? Sounds like FOX might something want more then all the rest?

I also hear UPN might be High Def, soon? Then all we need is Discovery HD and HDNet when they broadcast for free later this year.

- Scott
post #36 of 7959 Old 08-26-2002, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Nothing to report on FOX Charlotte carriage on TWC digital at this point.
I will pass your comments on to those in charge.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #37 of 7959 Old 08-26-2002, 07:20 AM

Scott- I think I've only seen programming on WSOCHD once for a small time and it may not have been HD, but I do know that my 3100 box when I go to the guide shows WSOCHD when I (and i do this cause it's easier for me to remember) type 800 as the channel and it pops onto WSOCHD. I do know that in communicating with the TWC folks that it was to come online this or next week, but I saw it there this weekend...maybe they are testing it out then will move to a 2xx channel. HDGalaxy lists some programming for ABC this week and I'll check it out again then.

Scott - What do you mean HDnet "free" programming? I don't understand. I know it is already "free" with DirecTV, but has there been some news re: Mark Cuban opening up to Cable companys?

Fox18- Thanks for anything you can do to help with "the cause." The bottom line is we just are committed viewers to HD and since I can't use my ReplayTV to skip commercials and record the stuff, dude I am back to watching commercials... isn't that great for you guys at the networks.
post #38 of 7959 Old 08-28-2002, 04:12 PM

Reply I received from the wonderful folks at TWC Charlotte:
"We are testing ABC currently, but it is still "hidden" as a result. I do not know where it's final location will be but I would guess that 2xx is a good bet. "
"Discovery HD is on our radar screen and will happen at some time. HD net is another story but I believe that discussion is best left on the AVS forum."
FYI
post #39 of 7959 Old 09-09-2002, 08:37 AM

Liked: 11
I just got my HD cable box installed last week. Channel 358 comes in broken up or sometimes not at all. I have always had this same problem with ShowTime channels 350, 352 & 354. I have complained to Time Warner in the past but they have never really done anything about it. The person who installed the HD box said if it continues call in the problem. It wasn't a big deal as I never really watched 350, 352 & 354 & they have west coast feeds on 351, 353 & 355 that come in fine. But since there are only 6 HD channels not getting 358 hurts. I'll have to call again but was wondering if any one else has ever had this problem. The other alternative would be to drop down my service and get rid of ShowTime.
post #40 of 7959 Old 09-09-2002, 09:31 AM

I don't get any of the HD pay channels... just PBS (2), CBS, NBC, ABC... This past weekend was a great HD weekend, esp. CBS sports. Caught portions of the "My Best Friends Wedding" ABC movie last night and it did register in DD5.1 though I couldn't really say that it was as good as a DVD's 5.1 sound. There were, especially with ABC, many audio dropouts and a few pixelization problems, but I think TWC is still testing ABCHD channel on ch.834. Didn't like that ABC switched the HD feed back to standard with about 5 minutes left in the movie. CBS did the same thing at 11pm... I wonder who directs that TWC, the Networks, or the Locals?

Hey FOX18 guy, just wanted to say that I now record your news@10 just to watch the Weather man. He is the funniest thing I've ever seen! I never thought I'd record the news here in Charlotte but your newscast is awesome. I have been complaining to everyone about how awful weather is and he does the weather the way it should be, entertaining. Thats how David Letterman got started you know. He was great after the American Idol shows with his song and dance. I think the sports guy though is prob. jealous of him. PS: If Fox get's rid of the weatherman, then no more FOX news for me FYI. (sorry for being off topic but wanted to express that to you) (now if he were only in HD- WOW!)
post #41 of 7959 Old 09-09-2002, 09:35 AM

I still can not get 834 ABC. I guess I will have to Call TWC?
post #42 of 7959 Old 09-09-2002, 09:49 AM

I don't know how far it will get you to call them, I would assume they would tell you that it is not up and running now. I don't know why I get it, it seems that I "stumbled" upon it one day just running though the channels in the guide-listing. I inquired about it a while back and was told that they are infact testing it out and it would probably be "live" on a "2xx" channel. Don't know when that will be though. As they say: YMMV.
post #43 of 7959 Old 09-09-2002, 10:43 AM

Bizarre... I'm in Charlotte and don't get 834 either having tried at various times of day and night to access it.

I just wish they'd hurry up and get Discovery HD on the air here!
post #44 of 7959 Old 09-11-2002, 03:57 PM

Found this thread this morning, and went hunting for ABC, but to no avail. Yet lo and behold, today was the day that they turn it on. I am now recieving it on channel 235. I assume this means that everybody with an HD box should have it.
post #45 of 7959 Old 09-12-2002, 06:07 AM

Yep - I now have it too... except that the audio is out of synch.
post #46 of 7959 Old 09-12-2002, 08:05 AM

Thanks guys for the heads up on the channel change/update on ABC. Just in time for the ABC Thursday Movie (Liar Liar w/Jim Carrey). I think, like past ABC Big Picture Shows, it will be 720p DD5.1.
Also, I saw in the Charlotte Disturber (Observer) this morning that they are adding about 5 more "digital" stations (not HD)... Most were like Discovery something-or-another and Lifetime Women-something etc. I think that starts Sept. 23rd. (of course this I'm sure will be followed up by an increase in rates).
post #47 of 7959 Old 09-12-2002, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm so glad to hear some good news on my thread! I just checked and channel 235 is indeed the new home of ABC HD on TWC Charlotte. It seems like we've been begging for this for years and I can't wait to check out NYPD Blue! It's a very good HD news day indeed.

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #48 of 7959 Old 09-17-2002, 08:13 AM

Since HDNet & DiscoveryHD probably a ways off... we need to get working on the WB-HD on TWC. I saw last night that "Everwood" on WB was in HD & 16:9. So if any TWC folks or WB folks lurking, please update us on availability of WB-HD. (PS...the WB analog TWC station is prob. the worst of all my channels. It's like watching black snow falling on peoples faces.)
post #49 of 7959 Old 09-22-2002, 03:03 PM

How much is HD service thru Time Warner? Do you rent the box or purchase it?
post #50 of 7959 Old 09-22-2002, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think the box rental is around $4.00 a month. My monthly cable bill total is around $69.00 and that includes all the hbo's, showtimes, hbohd, showtime hd, all local hd and pbs hd. No Fox yet but they don't count anyway LOL

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #51 of 7959 Old 09-22-2002, 09:14 PM

And all I would need is the HD cable box and an HD set? no convertor box in between the two is needed?
post #52 of 7959 Old 09-23-2002, 04:02 PM

TWC will provide you with the 3100HD box which will serve as your "cable box" and as the High Definition Receiver...so you only need a High definition READY TV in order to receive the signals from TWC. Further, the box has Coax-Digital Audio Out for connection to a receiver. I don't know if there is a wait list though for the boxes.
post #53 of 7959 Old 09-26-2002, 07:10 PM

Has anyone been successful in getting a second HD box from TWC?

I've got two HD-capable sets (projector and tube TV) and moving the box between them is a hassle.
post #54 of 7959 Old 10-07-2002, 11:02 AM

Wow ! Anyone seen the new look i-Control and HBO on Demand? No waiting for the pages to load, a new , hi-resolution interface, fast response times and more programming including several free-view "making of..." documentaries. Also, moving i-Control off channel 1 in readiness for the launch of the new PVR functionality that will be accessed via channel 1. Well done TWC !!! Just get that deal with Discovery HD concluded and I'll be very happy.

Oh - anyone seen the commercial for Discovery HD? It came on one evening about a week ago. I thought it was announcing that it would be coming soon on TWC but at the end they said, "Call your cable or satellite provider...". Aaaargh!! They had me so excited for a few moments there.
post #55 of 7959 Old 10-22-2002, 09:42 AM

Has anyone contacted ABC about the audio sync problem on the HD channel?
post #56 of 7959 Old 10-30-2002, 08:29 AM

i have just recieved the new HD3100 ....its nice but i cant get my replay tv to take on the new stations...i was not using a cable box before...but now i am....is there a different signal coming through the line now.....
post #57 of 7959 Old 10-30-2002, 12:23 PM

I've got the same thing (HD3100 w/ Panasonic ReplayTV 80Gig upgraded)...
What I do is split the line coming out of the wall, one line goes to the HD3100 the other goes to the ReplayTV... then I send an S-Video cable out of the HD3100 to an input on the ReplayTV, while also sending Component Cables out of the HD3100 direct to the HD-Component inputs of the TV... I also send an S-Video out of the Replay to a different input of the TV. All of this so that I can Record 7th Heaven on the replay while watching live CBS Monday nights. As an aside, for NFL sunday ticket, that's coming into the Replay as well on input 3. It works like a charm and We love it.

Oh, and for the input/setups on the replay: I do it one step at a time...doing the analog coax cable settings first, then get the settings for "Digital Cable". There will be overlap so you will have to delete from replay the Digital Cable "analog" stations (2-70something).

RE: ABC audio out of sync... ABCHD here is still out of sync. It is my understanding from talking to TWC, that they have notified ABC about it. I know nothing else and it is still happening. The dropouts annoy me the most. Not much on CBS but ABC dropouts are frequent.
post #58 of 7959 Old 10-30-2002, 01:00 PM

I have a Replay 4320 (320gb model), what I do costs a little more, but in my opinion is worth the money. Instead of running a cable line to the Replay, I have a standard digital box that does nothing except serve video to the Replay.

In other words, a seperate box (in this case standard Digital, not HD) that is then wired into the Replay. This way the Replay gets all my shows (digital or otherwise) and I don't have to worry about it.
post #59 of 7959 Old 11-06-2002, 01:18 PM

has anyone heard when Fox is going to come on board.....
post #60 of 7959 Old 11-06-2002, 03:44 PM

http://www.timewarnersolutions.com/cable/DVR.asp

Any idea if/when TimeWarner will roll out this PVR box in Charlotte?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page