post #631 of 7930 Old 01-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by rcase13
I have Timewarner HD here in Charlotte. Are there any OTA channels that I am not getting? I am trying to determine if it is worth investing in a OTA STB.

Based on what TWC now offers in the way of HD I would not bother with a STB for OTA. I have both and really don't need OTA any more. I could get WB ota and maybe UPN but neither has much in the way of HD programming, certainly not enough to justify the cost of a STB and antenna, etc. Now that is just my opinion and someone else may disagree. The PQ via TWC is the equal of OTA, no difference at my house. I use my STB and a JVC 30k to record in HD and that is all.

Hugh Campbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 7930 Old 01-21-2004, 06:37 PM

Liked: 10
CBS & HD SuperBowl question: Anyone know if the local Charlotte CBS channel will be able to feed the 5.1 Dolby Digital signal in time for the Panther's victory over NE? I have not seen any DD coming out of CBS yet.
post #633 of 7930 Old 01-21-2004, 07:00 PM

hey guys, whats a good site to find some good info and deals on hdtv antennas/stb's? i've got a friend in huntersville, which is mostly adelphia. adelphia doesnt offer hd and doesnt plan to have it anytime soon. He has a sony HD monitor with no hd! lol He's new to this, so he is going to need some user education as well... any suggestions would be helpful...
post #634 of 7930 Old 01-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nc-ryan
Sort of disapointed here. I just got HD from Directv installed yesterday and I can't seem to get CBS OTA. I was hoping to be able to watch the Super Bowl in HD. ... GO PANTHERS!

I have found that antennas that claim to get both VHF and UHF don't do very well. You, of course, want to get UHF 23. I haven't found any local sources for antennas, but that's why they invented overnight shipping! If you do find a local source, please advise here or here. I have found that the little $19 Radio Shack UHF yagi that most stores have in-stock coupled with the mast mounted amp, also in-stock will get about anything I point it at (less WUNG, which is behind my neighbor's house). But then again I'm right in Charlotte. I'm not advocating this as the best setup, just one that's available locally. Again, I'd love to know about better local sources if anyone has that info.

--Dale--
post #635 of 7930 Old 01-21-2004, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by miamijoe
Anyone know if the local Charlotte CBS channel will be able to feed the 5.1 Dolby Digital signal in time for the Panther's victory over NE?

YES! I have seen a press release from CBS and Sony that says the game will be broadcast with 5.1.

I haven't posted 5 times yet so I can't post the URL but I can tell you where it is at... Google.

Search for "super bowl high definition" and it is the first item returned.

Best of luck to the Panthers!

Ryan
post #636 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was looking into Voom the other day and damn near gave up my TWC. They offer a great package at a resonable price.

Three problems:
  • 2 year contract
  • Must have telephone line
  • $750 equipment charge!!!!

When will the Sat companies drop the rediculous contracts???

Until then I will remain faithful to TWC and my $135 cable bill.

Rodney
post #637 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 06:16 AM

I saw the voom commercial on tv the other day and damn near ran over my wife and dog to get online to see what it was about. I saw the $750 equipment charge and that was all I needed to see. Oh well, I'll keep paying TW.
post #638 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 06:25 AM

go read the HDTV programming board and it doesn't sound like many are very happy with VOOM to this point. Lots of redundices in channels and replays of the same shows, etc...
post #639 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 06:30 AM

WBTV has been equipped for 5.1 sound for a couple weeks now. I noticed it during the AFC Championship game.
post #640 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 07:04 AM

The little blue light was shinning bright during the win over Philly. Sounded like adjustments were being made during first 15 min's, then sounded great
post #641 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 68
yea, but If I'm correct the Philly game was on FOX, and not WBTV...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #642 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 10:41 AM

stand corrected Fox has been blue for a while - credit panther mania no other game counted.... But CBS lit it up finally
post #643 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 02:20 PM

FYI, for what it's worth, I talked to TWC today and they said that they would start getting the HDTV DVRs from Scientific Atlanta in March. Guess I'll just wait until then to get mine hooked up, expecially since the next available time to get HDTV hooked up is 2-13, no superbowl on HD for me
post #644 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by clintyarborough
FYI, for what it's worth, I talked to TWC today and they said that they would start getting the HDTV DVRs from Scientific Atlanta in March. Guess I'll just wait until then to get mine hooked up, expecially since the next available time to get HDTV hooked up is 2-13, no superbowl on HD for me

If I were you I would go to the Time Warner location nearest to you and take in your present box and ask for the HD box which is the Pioneer Voyager and do it yourself. Absolutely nothing to it. Of course if you are not getting cable at the present time that will not work.

Hugh

Hugh Campbell
post #645 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 04:53 PM

Clint,
I agree with Hugh. Just go to the TW office (there is one on Arrowood) and pick up the Pioneer box. Its an excellent HD box and it's a piece of cake to hook up. Just make sure that you have some component cables and you should be all set. Just jump on here if you have any problems. Most of us get an e-mail if you post so someone should help you out pretty quick. You have to watch the Superbowl in HD. You just have to.

James
post #646 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 05:37 PM

Quite a few of us have tried to pick up HD STB's from TWC (their Arrowood location) in the past with widely varying levels of success. It really depends on whom you talk with. The best success rate so far has been to send a "complaint" via their web site (once you get turned down via a phone call) and TWC responded very quickly with an email you print out and take in.

Note: Almost all of the examples I know of involve people wanting to swap out their 2000HD boxes for the 3510HD boxes. I belive you'll have a more difficult time if you don't already have an HD box from them to begin with.

My personal expeience was that they would not allow me to swap out my 2000HD or pick up an additional box for myself. They would only allow me to schedule an appointment (weeks in the future) and they would charge me $39 PER BOX for "installation."

FYI: I bought a new TV at Tweeter (Carolina Place location) and they will bring you 3150HD boxes and install them for FREE when they deliver your HDTV. They even brought me a second, new HD box for my exsiting Plasma; even thought I didn't buy it from them. The component cables they use are worth more than $39.
post #647 of 7930 Old 01-22-2004, 07:24 PM

I've switched out my HD box several times on Arrowood with no problem. I was trying to figure out why the DVI port wasn't working with my Samsung DLP set so I went through at least three boxes. It always took them a few minutes because someone had to bring it from the back but I had no problems getting the box.
My first box was delivered and hooked up by Tweeter. That was a plus.
post #648 of 7930 Old 01-23-2004, 08:28 AM

Quote:

I have Timewarner HD here in Charlotte. Are there any OTA channels that I am not getting? I am trying to determine if it is worth investing in a OTA STB.

I actually have only OTA right now (Hitachi w/ a built-in HD tuner), and granted, I don't get the InDemand channels, Discovery HD, etc. that make TWC so appealing (I'm holding out for the DVR HD receiver -- I'm hooked on my current DVR!). But I certainly get a nice array of shows OTA. The best thing about the non-TWC HD channels is Star Trek:Enterprise in HD on UPN. I'm also a big fan of the Gilmore Girls on the WB, and I've caught glimpses of shows like Smallville and The OC in HD, and they look great as well. If you're a fan of any of these shows, you may want to go OTA for them if you feel it's worth it. If not, then I'm sure TWC will fulfull all your HD programming needs.

Bottom line, is, you're only missing two channels that do any HD of note in the Charlotte area if you only have TWC.
post #649 of 7930 Old 01-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Just learned that NBC with broadcast the Daytona 500 in HD in February. For those not into Nascar that's an automobile race.

Hugh Campbell
post #650 of 7930 Old 01-23-2004, 09:38 AM

sweeeeeeet
post #651 of 7930 Old 01-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Someone refresh my memory.......what is the model number of the new Scientific Atlanta box that will have PVR? I think it's the 8000HD but can't remember.

Hugh Campbell
post #652 of 7930 Old 01-24-2004, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

SA8000HD.

The box's DVR application software for the Charlotte area should be Pioneer (Passport) rather than SA (SARA). The SARA version has already been deployed in a few limited areas (including like SC) and the Passport version reportedly will be coming out in a few months.

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #653 of 7930 Old 01-24-2004, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdenman
SA8000HD.
The box's DVR application software for the Charlotte area should be Pioneer (Passport) rather than SA (SARA). The SARA version has already been deployed in a few limited areas (including like SC) and the Passport version reportedly will be coming out in a few months.

Time Warner has told me that only Minnesota has them at the present time as a test area. While they didn't mention Pioneer I am using the Pioneer Voyager now as my HD box. Perhaps Pioneer is under contract with SA.

I just couldn't remember the model number but went back and looked some more and it is the 8000HD. At least that is what it is called if it comes from SA.

Hugh Campbell
post #654 of 7930 Old 01-24-2004, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I and a number of others here in SC (Columbia, Sumter, Myrtle Beach) had SA8000HD's installed over a week ago by TWCSC. Green Bay Minnesotra was just the first site.

Scientific Atlanta makes the SA8000 HD DVR and it can run application software that is not SA's. Charlotte's TWC head end runs Pioneer brand software and it apparently can support boxes from SA, Pioneer and Pace. Columbia's head end runs SA brand software and apparently supports only SA's own box. The type of software can be discerned in the bootup or in the diagnostics (either Pioneer Passport or SA's SARA). Discussions on this box have occured in the Recording forum and our Columbia forum here at avs.

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #655 of 7930 Old 01-24-2004, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdenman
I and a number of others here in SC (Columbia, Sumter, Myrtle Beach) had SA8000HD's installed over a week ago by TWCSC. Green Bay Minnesotra was just the first site.

Scientific Atlanta makes the SA8000 HD DVR and it can run application software that is not SA's. Charlotte's TWC head end runs Pioneer brand software and it apparently can support boxes from SA, Pioneer and Pace. Columbia's head end runs SA brand software and apparently supports only SA's own box. The type of software can be discerned in the bootup or in the diagnostics (either Pioneer Passport or SA's SARA). Discussions on this box have occured in the Recording forum and our Columbia forum here at avs.

Thanks for that information. It seems each division is run like a separate company.

Hugh Campbell
post #656 of 7930 Old 01-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My family and I sat down tonight to enjoy "A Bugs Life" in HD and wow it looks great. But do we have to watch the gigantic color channel 9 ad in the upper right hand part of the screen? Soon enough they will start placing it in the middle of the screen...

Rodney
post #657 of 7930 Old 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:

My family and I sat down tonight to enjoy "A Bugs Life" in HD and wow it looks great. But do we have to watch the gigantic color channel 9 ad in the upper right hand part of the screen? Soon enough they will start placing it in the middle of the screen...

I noticed that, too. I almost popped in my DVD version of the film, it was so annoying. They need a more subtle logo, and need to post it less often. But still, you gotta admit the picture was pretty sweet. And I guess you gotta give them (ABC and Channel 9) snaps for actually broadcasting as much as they do in HD. Have you watched that show "Less Than Perfect" in HD? It's a cute little sitcom that takes place in a newsroom/office, but it's broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 and you can actually hear office conversations, typing, etc. in the surrounds! Impressive attention to production detail for a simple sitcom. How come Friends can't do that? (I guess at $1M/episode/friend, their money is going elsewhere, huh.)
post #658 of 7930 Old 01-26-2004, 10:13 AM

thanks for the advice guys. They said that I had to do the $39 installation since I don't have HD already. I'll just wait until the HD Dvr comes out, I would be ok with having two boxes for now(and paying the extra money), but it's just too much hassle. Since I'm not gonna get it before the superbowl, I can wait a little longer I just hope they don't start pushing the HD DVR back more
post #659 of 7930 Old 01-26-2004, 05:11 PM

can someone explain why tw charges $39 for someone to come hook my box up? I was furious when TW guy came in, hooked the box up and called the number on the screen. I could have done that. Matter of fact, I'll be calling TW tommorrow and asking them myself.
post #660 of 7930 Old 01-26-2004, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Davew0670
can someone explain why tw charges $39 for someone to come hook my box up? I was furious when TW guy came in, hooked the box up and called the number on the screen. I could have done that. Matter of fact, I'll be calling TW tommorrow and asking them myself.

Because most people couldn't begin to do it themselves. Probably 90% couldn't based on the people I've taked with over the years.

Hugh Campbell
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page