Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 223 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6661 of 7911 Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are they pretty cool over at that office about just going in and asking for a box? DO you know if they are open on Saturdays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 7911 Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Totally cool about swapping them and only open M-F til' 6pm.

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #6663 of 7911 Old 11-10-2010, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pym View Post
I'm getting 30/5 a week from Sunday. For $99/mo we should be getting 100/20..
Results NOT typical.. but possible...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1025544878.png

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #6664 of 7911 Old 11-12-2010, 08:03 AM
A J

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just opened TWC's notice of price hikes for various cable TV packages starting next billing cycle. This seems like their normal Thanksgiving tradition.

With OTA now providing the best PQ on local HD channels (uncompressed), tempting offers almost daily from satellite providers, and ever increasing internet video content, free or at reasonable prices, maybe TWC is grabbing what it can, while it still can.
post #6665 of 7911 Old 11-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

I just opened TWC's notice of price hikes for various cable TV packages starting next billing cycle. This seems like their normal Thanksgiving tradition.

With OTA now providing the best PQ on local HD channels (uncompressed), tempting offers almost daily from satellite providers, and ever increasing internet video content, free or at reasonable prices, maybe TWC is grabbing what it can, while it still can.

The price hikes are going to break them ... eventually.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...nd-Well-111319
post #6666 of 7911 Old 11-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Wake up, ya'll.

Tested my connection tonight. The 15/1 package is yielding a 22 down and a 1.9 up. They turn the speed dial to 11 or something?
post #6667 of 7911 Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Wake up, ya'll.

Tested my connection tonight. The 15/1 package is yielding a 22 down and a 1.9 up. They turn the speed dial to 11 or something?

They must have taken most of my bandwidth and given it to you. Right now I'm getting 3.14 down and .97 up.

Glad TWC is sending a tech out to upgrade me to 30.0 down and 5.0 up later this morning.
post #6668 of 7911 Old 11-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckf1 View Post

They must have taken most of my bandwidth and given it to you. Right now I'm getting 3.14 down and .97 up.

Glad TWC is sending a tech out to upgrade me to 30.0 down and 5.0 up later this morning.

They were out last week to upgrade me but brought a crappy modem. They're due back with a Motorola tomorrow morning. Ready to get back on wideband.
post #6669 of 7911 Old 11-20-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

They were out last week to upgrade me but brought a crappy modem. They're due back with a Motorola tomorrow morning. Ready to get back on wideband.

Looks like there is a big upgrade for most modems coming soon, also ESPN 3D will be fired up this week from what the boy's at Sharon Amity tell me.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #6670 of 7911 Old 11-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Looks like there is a big upgrade for most modems coming soon, also ESPN 3D will be fired up this week from what the boy's at Sharon Amity tell me.

Do tell.

Got my trusty Motorola wide band modem back. Yay.

I did notice that there are 3 downstream channels bonded. Cool. When I had SH, there were only 2.

Still only 1 on the upload though...
post #6671 of 7911 Old 11-21-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Do tell.

Got my trusty Motorola wide band modem back. Yay.

I did notice that there are 3 downstream channels bonded. Cool. When I had SH, there were only 2.

Still only 1 on the upload though...

They gave me the Ubee modem yesterday and I'm getting the advertised 30 down and 5 up. Had some problems, which are now solved, but the lead tech who came out today, isn't sold on the Motorola boxes because they've been known to overheat.

But I'm happy now.
post #6672 of 7911 Old 11-21-2010, 10:01 AM

Hope someone here can help. I am having to unplug and replug my modem almost daily to get an internet connection. I have had TWC service for a couple of years. The same modem. I have within the two years had to do this before(maybe once every so many months) at the instruction of TWC but now it is happening quite often. Twice already today. I cannot see a name on the modem but it is model 60194E-004. Has a black face with grey top.

I do have it connected to an Apple Airport Extreme. I have tried re-setting everything and it will be fine for a couple of days and then it does it again. The only thing different lately is that I did switch from TWC Earthlink to Road Runner with Turbo Boost. It seems the problem has occurred much more frequently since then. I hesitate to mess with DNS or IPS or whatever without some instructions.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
post #6673 of 7911 Old 11-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Chuck - if you figure out how to disable wireless and get it into bridge mode, let us know. I'm sure folks will be asking.

Don't know about the Moto overheating. The one I had for SH worked great for the 2.5 months I had it.

I like the Moto form factor better, too. That Ubee is just gynormous.

Dbalone - I wouldn't mess around with that modem anymore. Do one of two things - drop by a kisok or TWC office and have it swapped out. Or call up and ask them to do a truck roll to come check your signal levels.

I'd probably opt for the 2nd option, personally.
post #6674 of 7911 Old 11-21-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Chuck - if you figure out how to disable wireless and get it into bridge mode, let us know. I'm sure folks will be asking.

Don't know about the Moto overheating. The one I had for SH worked great for the 2.5 months I had it.

I like the Moto form factor better, too. That Ubee is just gynormous.

Dbalone - I wouldn't mess around with that modem anymore. Do one of two things - drop by a kisok or TWC office and have it swapped out. Or call up and ask them to do a truck roll to come check your signal levels.

I'd probably opt for the 2nd option, personally.

admin
motorola

wireless
primary network = disabled

setup
napt mode = disabled
post #6675 of 7911 Old 11-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

admin
motorola

wireless

setup
napt mode = disabled

I was talking about how to do it for the Ubee modem, rdgcss. Disabling the primary network on it doesn't turn off wireless.
post #6676 of 7911 Old 11-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:

I was talking about how to do it for the Ubee modem, rdgcss. Disabling the primary network on it doesn't turn off wireless.

Since my desktop doesn't have a wireless card, disabling the wireless on the Ubee isn't something I'm going to need to do, as far as I know.
post #6677 of 7911 Old 11-22-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

admin
motorola

wireless

setup
napt mode = disabled

do you have to login to view the modem status/signal page under 192.168.100.1 ?

I know the SB6120 does not have a password to look at the status page but since the SBG6580 is a all in one combo is it different?
post #6678 of 7911 Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post
do you have to login to view the modem status/signal page under 192.168.100.1 ?

I know the SB6120 does not have a password to look at the status page but since the SBG6580 is a all in one combo is it different?
Yes, you do have to log in to view that info on the Motorola and Ubee boxes.
post #6679 of 7911 Old 11-22-2010, 03:55 PM

I, and TWC, couldn't figure out how to make the Ubee modem behave with my network which starts with a TC. My Motorola modem failed and they replaced it with a Ubee.

Initially, the tech wanted me to put the TC in bridge mode. I didn't want to do that. I want the TWC device to work with my network and not the other way around. Going to bridge mode breaks part of network and I didn't want to take the time to fix it. And its bad for my Slingbox, among other devices.

The Ubee menu doesn't allow you to disable NAT and it didn't seem like the radio disable really worked. I would disable the primary network but still see the SSID of the box. Disabling the DHCP server doesn't disable NAT and in fact makes the modem unable to talk to anything. I had to reset the thing a couple times just to get back into it. And its big. I'm sure a gateway is great for some people but if you have a pre-exhisting network then it is a headache and a half.

So I called back and said bring me back the Motorola. Plugged it in. Disabled the primary network, NAPT, turned off IP flood, and restarted it. Everything took, everything worked, everything visible when I tunnel in...happy SigHome customer. But the Ubee modem is now banned from my house.
post #6680 of 7911 Old 11-24-2010, 06:12 AM

Problem with modem?
Hope someone here can help. I am having to unplug and replug my modem almost daily to get an internet connection. I have had TWC service for a couple of years. The same modem. I have within the two years had to do this before(maybe once every so many months) at the instruction of TWC but now it is happening quite often. Twice already today. I cannot see a name on the modem but it is model 60194E-004. Has a black face with grey top.

I do have it connected to an Apple Airport Extreme. I have tried re-setting everything and it will be fine for a couple of days and then it does it again. The only thing different lately is that I did switch from TWC Earthlink to Road Runner with Turbo Boost. It seems the problem has occurred much more frequently since then. I hesitate to mess with DNS or IPS or whatever without some instructions.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

TWC showed up last night. He took one look at my modem and said mine was ancient. He gave me a Netgear wireless unit. He said it was the best out there and he was out of everything else. I have my own wireless set up so he disabled the wireless on the Netgear (just don't know password). He checked my speeds which were normal in the 16 - 19. range down. I have the regular RR with Turbo. Anyway, after he left I noticed that my pages are loading much slower. Some pages seem to hang for a second and then load quickly. My old modem may have been shutting off but atleast everything loaded very quickly. Is there something else I need to do? I am running everything through my Airport Extreme.

Thanks
post #6681 of 7911 Old 11-27-2010, 09:23 PM

I don't know if this is the right section to ask, but here goes...

I've noticed when I fast forward or rewind, the dvr timing is way off from what it used to be. Has anyone else noticed this? Did TWC change their DVR timing??? I wonder if this is to force you to watch commercials.

Anyone else notice this?
post #6682 of 7911 Old 11-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

I have the new multi room DVRs and the only timing issues I've encountered is when we try to fast forward through a show that is on a remote DVR. But it's not too bad. I can live with it for now. Fast forwarding through a show on the box itself is fine.

I just wish we could delete remote shows. That is my biggest wish right now.

Rodney
post #6683 of 7911 Old 11-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post

I just wish we could delete remote shows. That is my biggest wish right now.

That was 1 of the 2 main reasons I dropped SH and went to DirecTV. You can delete remote shows all day long with them.
post #6684 of 7911 Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That was 1 of the 2 main reasons I dropped SH and went to DirecTV. You can delete remote shows all day long with them.

DirecTV not an option for me hence posting in a TWC thread. For those that are wondering it's supposedly on it's way.

Does anyone have a remote code for a Yamaha receiver RX-V665? I can't seem to find one that will work.

Rodney
post #6685 of 7911 Old 11-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post

DirecTV not an option for me hence posting in a TWC thread. For those that are wondering it's supposedly on it's way.

Its been on its way since August.

And last I checked, this isn't a TWC exclusive thread...
post #6686 of 7911 Old 11-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Its been on its way since August.

And last I checked, this isn't a TWC exclusive thread...

Actually it is hence the title "Charlotte, NC - TWC"

No big deal. I just don't want it to turn into an 8 page rant. TWC usually gets "features" a year after DirecTV. We have a lot of people in the know here and I was just checking if any one knew.

Most of us here have TWC and have weigh the pros and cons of both. I have and TWC won out. Not by much but enough to make me stay. That could change in the future but most likely not. I only have two choices for reliable broadband to the house. Nothing in my area comes even remotely close to 50/5. UVerse looked really good there for awhile but in the end fiddled out. If it comes to my area with good signal then I might give it a go.

Rodney
post #6687 of 7911 Old 12-01-2010, 04:21 AM

I have a strange request:

I recently signed up for Signature Home mainly so I could get the 50/5 connection to the net, but now on my Christmas wishlist is a Slingbox. Our house only has one TV and it's in the living room. We have no desire to have another TV hence my desire for a Slingbox to make use of the second DVR.

My initial thought was to just stack the two DVR's, but obviously when the remote is used for one, it also mimics the function on the second DVR.

What I want to do is disable the IR sensor on the second DVR so that the remote won't work with it. Is this possible?

The Slingbox may answer my question however but since I'm not exactly certain of how it connects to a DVR I can't be sure. Can anyone with a Slingbox tell me if it connects to a DVR using the IR port on the back? If so, when you connect a Slingbox to this IR port, does it disable the IR sensor for the remote?

Thanks!
post #6688 of 7911 Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyelton View Post

I have a strange request:

What I want to do is disable the IR sensor on the second DVR so that the remote won't work with it. Is this possible?

The Slingbox may answer my question however but since I'm not exactly certain of how it connects to a DVR I can't be sure. Can anyone with a Slingbox tell me if it connects to a DVR using the IR port on the back? If so, when you connect a Slingbox to this IR port, does it disable the IR sensor for the remote?

Thanks!

If I understand correctly, you want to use one of the signature home DVR's on your main television, and the other signature home DVR will be solely used and controlled by your slingbox. Hopefully I have that correct.

I'm not 100% sure on this, and I'm going from memory based on what I've seen on a friend's slingbox, but I think the IR adapter that the slingbox uses has to be placed over the "IR window" on your DVR. In other words, the slingbox doesn't directly connected to any port on your DVR. The adapter is physically placed in front of the IR receiver on the DVR.

So, my first notion would be to just place the IR adapter on the DVR in the specified location on the IR window, and then place some black electrical tap over it so that the tape completely covers the IR window. That way your remote control won't operate the DVR since the windows is physically covered by a piece of tape.

It's not the most elegant of solutions, but if you have to place the IR adapter there in the first place, you may as well just add a few pieces of black tape to hold it on there and to cover the window and obstruct the ability of your remote control to operate that specific DVR.
post #6689 of 7911 Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbK View Post

If I understand correctly, you want to use one of the signature home DVR's on your main television, and the other signature home DVR will be solely used and controlled by your slingbox. Hopefully I have that correct.

I'm not 100% sure on this, and I'm going from memory based on what I've seen on a friend's slingbox, but I think the IR adapter that the slingbox uses has to be placed over the "IR window" on your DVR. In other words, the slingbox doesn't directly connected to any port on your DVR. The adapter is physically placed in front of the IR receiver on the DVR.

So, my first notion would be to just place the IR adapter on the DVR in the specified location on the IR window, and then place some black electrical tap over it so that the tape completely covers the IR window. That way your remote control won't operate the DVR since the windows is physically covered by a piece of tape.

It's not the most elegant of solutions, but if you have to place the IR adapter there in the first place, you may as well just add a few pieces of black tape to hold it on there and to cover the window and obstruct the ability of your remote control to operate that specific DVR.

Thanks,

I was hoping for a more elegant solution (e.g. Slingbox connects to the IR port on the back of the DVR and that would in essence disable the front sensor).

If it is an adapter that simply fits over the front sensor then I'll be a bit disappointed in the Slingbox. Perhaps it's possible to connect it to the IR port of the DVR with a third party cable (just hoping/wishing out loud)...

Can anyone confirm that the IR port on the back of the Cisco 8642 disables the front sensor?
post #6690 of 7911 Old 12-01-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyelton View Post

Can anyone confirm that the IR port on the back of the Cisco 8642 disables the front sensor?

Um.. plug a cable or bare plug from rat shak in and see.....if it does, then get a cable from the sling box to the 8642 and see if it works. May need a resistor or two for pad..if it kills either or both boxes take 'em back.. :>)

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page