3Likes

post #6961 of 7913 Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccofer View Post

is METV on TWC ? Or do I need an antenna ? Looks like a good lineup...

I'm a novice with Antenna's. Would I be able to pick up WCCB 18.3 with an antenna from High Point N.C.?

I'm about 60 miles away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 7913 Old 05-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you have a decent outdoor antenna, you should theoretically have no trouble at all. I am about 60 miles from WRAZ (which also has MeTV on 50.2) and it comes in crystal clear 99.9% of the time. WCCB is 60 miles from you, so I would assume you'd have similar results. Of course terrain and antenna position have a lot to do with it, but it should be fairy easy to get.
post #6963 of 7913 Old 05-04-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

And..thanks to certain forum members....they no longer allow their employees to post here....

What did I do to prevent their employees from posting here? I've only followed this thread for about a year and I've never seen an employee post here.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I was just wishing TWC didn't discriminate on which hardware device I watch ESPN 3 in the walls of my own house. My mistake.
post #6964 of 7913 Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbK View Post

and I've never seen an employee post here.

Oh, they were here and quite often to boot. No more tho...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #6965 of 7913 Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
TWC Central New York has started updating to ODN 4.1. The only reported "obvious" changes are the addition of the ability to adjust the amount of DVR compensation (the amount the box jumps back at the end of a FF operation), along with a change in the "All Showings" functionality in the guide.

My fingers are crossed that the annoying audio stream issues that I've had since 4.0.2_4 was rolled out are addressed.

My 8640 hardware diagnostics show ODN 4.1 already loaded on the box but "Not Running"... so we may see the update soon if CNY has no issues.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #6966 of 7913 Old 05-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevester23 View Post
I'm a novice with Antenna's. Would I be able to pick up WCCB 18.3 with an antenna from High Point N.C.?

I'm about 60 miles away.
maybe. i lived in high point, and moved to northern forsyth county. i couldn't get any charlotte in high point, but i got roanoke (7, 10, 21/27). now i get no roanoke (mountain between me and them), but i get charlotte (3, 9, 18, 36, 46, 64, 55, 58) .

so it depends on where you live and what kind of antenna you get.

see this map: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...&q=call%3dwccb

can you get a good antenna and either put it on the roof or at least in the attic? you probably can get it. if you're stuck with an indoor only antenna, maybe but doubtful.

my recommendations: channel master 4221 for the roof or attic, or Phillips Silver Sensor indoor antenna. The Phillips is available online (amazon.com, and others for around $25) and the Channel Master is available locally (dow electronics) or online (ebay, and others) for around $35.

if you use the outdoor or attic antenna, a good booster amp would be nice. channel master's 7777 has a great reputation.

If you put a 4221 (or 4228 for higher gain and more directionality) on the roof with a 7777 amp and a rotor, you should be able to get not only the locals, but charlotte, roanoke, and some of raleigh.

i've suggested a UHF only antenna. there are only 4 stations you'll miss having a UHF only antenna, because they actually broadcast on VHF.
11 (CBS) in durham (vhf 11)
15 (PBS) in roanoke, (vhf 3)
13 (ABC) in roanoke (vhf 13)
42 (PBS) in charlotte (vhf 11)
and you might get a couple of those if the signal is strong enough.

good luck and let us know
post #6967 of 7913 Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM

So. I'm considering leaving TWC as I'm intrigued by the DTV PQ I've heard so much about. I recently upgraded to a 50" Panasonic Plasma and the TWC PQ issues are showing. If DTV really is leaps and bounds better, I'm all for it. But I'm about 3 months in to a Price Lock Guarantee contract. I've had a hard time finding info about the specifics of early termination with PLG. It looks like I'll have to pay a max of $150 to cancel. Can anyone confirm? And is there any possibility of DTV paying that cancellation fee to win my business, or simply giving me a $150 credit? Anyone had experience with this themselves?
post #6968 of 7913 Old 05-12-2011, 06:03 AM

I have not looked back since switching to DTV two years ago. To me the picture quality is significantly better than TWC. My daughter still has TWC and I can be watching a sports event there and then go home and continue watching and it is amazing the difference. We both have the exact same TV only I have a 46" and she has a 40". Granted DTV can be a pain in the a-- sometimes but so can TWC. Just remember that DTV is essentially the same as a cell phone company. Getting out early is costly. The first year is great price wise but the second year will be just slightly cheaper than TWC regular rates. There are pro and cons to both but in the end I ask myself this question - Now why did I buy a 46" HDTV and Bluray player? to get the best picture possible! and right now DTV is the winner. I have also had Comporium and well that is a whole other story.
post #6969 of 7913 Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Having them all..I prefer DirecTv..a much nicer user interface too..to me it seems TWC is placing more emphasis on Telco and Internet leaving video to be a distant third.They really need to drop the analog channels, however from what I understand the programmers carriage agreements have that held up.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #6970 of 7913 Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post

So. I'm considering leaving TWC as I'm intrigued by the DTV PQ I've heard so much about. I recently upgraded to a 50" Panasonic Plasma and the TWC PQ issues are showing. If DTV really is leaps and bounds better, I'm all for it. But I'm about 3 months in to a Price Lock Guarantee contract. I've had a hard time finding info about the specifics of early termination with PLG. It looks like I'll have to pay a max of $150 to cancel. Can anyone confirm? And is there any possibility of DTV paying that cancellation fee to win my business, or simply giving me a $150 credit? Anyone had experience with this themselves?

In some cases dtv will pay your etf. If you know someone who is a dtv customer they have a good referral program. You and they both get 100$ credit.
post #6971 of 7913 Old 05-12-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Big changes ahead:

On or about June 20th, the following additions are planned: Tennis Channel HD Channel 1542, Gol TV HD Channel 1819 and Sportsman Channel 516. Tennis Channel HD and Sportsman Channel will be available as part of Sports Pass. Gol TV Channel 819 along with Gol TV HD will be available as part of Sports Pass, Nuestra Tele, and El Paquetazo.

post #6972 of 7913 Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Big changes ahead:

Great News Joe! More SDV channels that won't work at my house.. (And Yes, I did report it to the employee who can no longer post here)

Bob

post #6973 of 7913 Old 05-12-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Big changes ahead:

On or about June 20th, the following additions are planned: Tennis Channel HD Channel 1542, Gol TV HD Channel 1819 and Sportsman Channel 516. Tennis Channel HD and Sportsman Channel will be available as part of Sports Pass. Gol TV Channel 819 along with Gol TV HD will be available as part of Sports Pass, Nuestra Tele, and El Paquetazo.

I am positively atremble with anticipation.
post #6974 of 7913 Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckf1 View Post

I am positively atremble with anticipation.

Yeah... me, too. Especially since I don't have any of those tiers.

post #6975 of 7913 Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great News Joe! More SDV channels that won't work at my house.. (And Yes, I did report it to the employee who can no longer post here)

I still never really have any SDV issues here... but there has definitely been a noticeable increase in compression artifacts on almost all channels versus what it was like six months ago or so.

We all bitched at length about how bad WBTV was a few months ago, and nothing is quite as bad as that (except maybe WTVI - my Motorweek recordings from WTVI are awful), but just about every channel is noticeably worse than it once was even though the overall channel loading hasn't changed significantly. I have noticed that headend equipment likely was changed because even linear services appear to be running on the same type of encoders/modulators used for SDV. I don't think that should inherently cause the issues, but some lab rat certainly could have changed a setting here and there when the new equipment was configured. Of course, this is purely conjecture based on my observations.

Whatever the cause, it annoys me enough that I am seriously considering alternate providers, which is significant considering that I have been looking at (and typically happy with) TWC/Vision Cable service for over 34 years now.

post #6976 of 7913 Old 05-12-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whatever the cause, it annoys me enough that I am seriously considering alternate providers, which is significant considering that I have been looking at (and typically happy with) TWC/Vision Cable service for over 34 years now.

I too have been very happy until recently..but for business reasons will have to keep TWC..sad thing is..I really prefer cable..it works nicely with all the Tv's in the house when coupled with my private QAM modulators.

Bob

post #6977 of 7913 Old 05-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I still never really have any SDV issues here... but there has definitely been a noticeable increase in compression artifacts on almost all channels versus what it was like six months ago or so.

We all bitched at length about how bad WBTV was a few months ago, and nothing is quite as bad as that (except maybe WTVI - my Motorweek recordings from WTVI are awful), but just about every channel is noticeably worse than it once was even though the overall channel loading hasn't changed significantly.

The MotorWeek artifacts are terrible! The Denon video processor I got on clearance a few months ago here at avsforum can't even come close to cleaning up the compression artifacts on MotorWeek!

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #6978 of 7913 Old 05-21-2011, 01:44 PM

I've had problems with WSOC 1110 recently with pixelization and the picture just freezing for a few seconds. Of course the same thing is happening on WBTV 1105. We missed a critical sequence on Big Bang Theory this week when watching the recording. You'd think that at least the major network channels would be error free.
post #6979 of 7913 Old 05-21-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
You'd think that at least the major network channels would be error free.
Not necessarily...they're just another QAM on the system..too bad the local TWC tech can no longer post here and assist you..But, you need to call TWC and put in a service call..and don't accept the CSR's telling you that "it's the Tv station that is having an problem". Andi If you have an antenna..that is easy to confirm..

Bob

post #6980 of 7913 Old 05-21-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post
The MotorWeek artifacts are terrible! The Denon video processor I got on clearance a few months ago here at avsforum can't even come close to cleaning up the compression artifacts on MotorWeek!
FYI... HD Theater carries the same set of Motorweek episodes 2 weeks behind WTVI's airing. They look MUCH better on HD Theater.

post #6981 of 7913 Old 05-21-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post
Even Denon Can't turn poo into ice cream..

Bob

post #6982 of 7913 Old 05-21-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Even Denon Can't turn poo into ice cream..
The trouble is, some people can't tell the difference. Others are more than happy with poo if it's cheap enough
post #6983 of 7913 Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 AM

Hi all,

What's the best hd dvr box twc is offering these days? I'm having hmdi connection issues with the scientific Atlanta they gave me and have the repair guy coming this afternoon.

Thanks!
post #6984 of 7913 Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

The trouble is, some people can't tell the difference. Others are more than happy with poo if it's cheap enough

That's what Deesh Network is for..

Bob

post #6985 of 7913 Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by er3_unc View Post

Hi all,

What's the best hd dvr box twc is offering these days? I'm having hmdi connection issues with the scientific Atlanta they gave me and have the repair guy coming this afternoon.

Thanks!

For non-whole-house installations, the Samsung 3090, Samsung 3270 or Cisco 8640 are the top dogs.

• The Samsung 3090 seems to be scarce these days, but is probably the "king of the hill". Biggest downside if you can get one is that you run the risk of getting one with a 160GB HDD (they have been issued with both 160 and 320GB drives).
  • The Samsung 3270 comes only with 320GB drives and is just as fast as the 3090, but is somewhat de-contented (no PiP, no coax SPDIF out, no s-video out). The 3270 can also be a little more finicky about HDMI handshakes than any of the other models.
  • The Cisco 8640HDC is as full-featured as the 3090 but runs ODN 4 a bit more slowly than the Samsungs. It's faster than its predecessor 8240/8300HDC, but noticeably slower than the Samsungs for some operations, especially if you have a large number of series recordings set up. All 8640s have 320GB drives.
If you have multi-room DVR (i.e., Signature Home), the whole-house versions of the 3270 and 8640 are the 3272 and the 8642. These have 500GB drives and MoCA modems installed but are otherwise identical to the 3270 and 8640. I haven't heard of it happening here, but some systems around the country have been issuing 3272 or 8642 MoCA boxes for installations that do not have MR-DVR. Chief advantage in that case is the 500GB HDD. There is no multi-room version of the 3090 available.

Older generation boxes still out there include:
  • S-A/Cisco 8240/8300HDC - forerunner to the 8640... similar feature set but even slower. 160GB drives only. Silver spaceship styling. For all intents and purposes the 8240HDC and 8300HDC are identical. The 8240HDC lacks an analog tuner, which is not used here on the 8300HDC, either, because we have 100% digital simulcasts of the analog tier.
  • S-A/Cisco 8300HD - Even older version of the 8300HDC (looks nearly identical), but it runs a different version of Navigator (MDN, versus ODN on all of the other boxes) that is not as taxing on hardware, so it actually runs faster. 160GB drive only, but reliably supports external hard drives (all the other boxes are hit or mostly miss on external drive support).

post #6986 of 7913 Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:

For non-whole-house installations, the Samsung 3090, Samsung 3270 or Cisco 8640 are the top dogs.

[*]The Samsung 3090 seems to be scarce these days, but is probably the "king of the hill". Biggest downside if you can get one is that you run the risk of getting one with a 160GB HDD (they have been issued with both 160 and 320GB drives).[*]The Samsung 3270 comes only with 320GB drives and is just as fast as the 3090, but is somewhat de-contented (no PiP, no coax SPDIF out, no s-video out). The 3270 can also be a little more finicky about HDMI handshakes than any of the other models.[*]The Cisco 8640HDC is as full-featured as the 3090 but runs ODN 4 a bit more slowly than the Samsungs. It's faster than its predecessor 8240/8300HDC, but noticeably slower than the Samsungs for some operations, especially if you have a large number of series recordings set up. All 8640s have 320GB drives.

If you have multi-room DVR (i.e., Signature Home), the whole-house versions of the 3270 and 8640 are the 3272 and the 8642. These have 500GB drives and MoCA modems installed but are otherwise identical to the 3270 and 8640. I haven't heard of it happening here, but some systems around the country have been issuing 3272 or 8642 MoCA boxes for installations that do not have MR-DVR. Chief advantage in that case is the 500GB HDD. There is no multi-room version of the 3090 available.

Older generation boxes still out there include:

[*]S-A/Cisco 8240/8300HDC - forerunner to the 8640... similar feature set but even slower. 160GB drives only. Silver spaceship styling. For all intents and purposes the 8240HDC and 8300HDC are identical. The 8240HDC lacks an analog tuner, which is not used here on the 8300HDC, either, because we have 100% digital simulcasts of the analog tier.[*]S-A/Cisco 8300HD - Even older version of the 8300HDC (looks nearly identical), but it runs a different version of Navigator (MDN, versus ODN on all of the other boxes) that is not as taxing on hardware, so it actually runs faster. 160GB drive only, but reliably supports external hard drives (all the other boxes are hit or mostly miss on external drive support).

Great post. Really helpful. Yea I think I'm having hdmi handshake issues now or otherwise I would ask for the 3270. Would love to get an 8640 I think.

Can I just ask the cable guy for the box I want?
post #6987 of 7913 Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM

When I tried to ask the lady at the Kannapolis box for the box I wanted, she said, "We can't just give people what they want. We don't have the money to just make all brand new boxes. You'll have to take what we give you." And that's when I took the opportunity to let her know that when my contract is up, I'll be taking MY money to DirecTV which *does* give out new hardware, not 7 year old relics.
post #6988 of 7913 Old 05-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:

When I tried to ask the lady at the Kannapolis box for the box I wanted, she said, "We can't just give people what they want. We don't have the money to just make all brand new boxes. You'll have to take what we give you." And that's when I took the opportunity to let her know that when my contract is up, I'll be taking MY money to DirecTV which *does* give out new hardware, not 7 year old relics.

Haha good story. Repairman left an hour ago. He didn't have any of the new boxes and the replacement box didn't work, so they're coming back tomorrow with a new box
post #6989 of 7913 Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

You didn't hear? That's TWC's new slogan:

"We can't just give people what they want"
post #6990 of 7913 Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stannc View Post

You didn't hear? That's TWC's new slogan:

"We can't just give people what they want"

We'll give you what we want you to have and you WILL like it!

Bob

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page