post #7111 of 7907 Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

It seems like removing all analogs will provide plenty of bandwidth to not need SDV would it not?

I take it you don't get sarcasm very well..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 7907 Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

It seems like removing all analogs will provide plenty of bandwidth to not need SDV would it not?

It COULD be used that way, but why would they? Reclaimed bandwidth will most likely be used (or reserved) for new services that can add incremental revenue.

When properly executed there is not much downside to SDV from a customer's perspective. At least for me I really don't know (OK, I DO know, lol) or care (I really don't care because it's a completely invisible process to me) what is SDV vs linear. They are not going to go unencrypted, so what difference does SDV make? Gonna need a box either way.

The best we can likely hope for is a few channels being thrown into the pool to reduce both compression issues and SDV loading factors... an by far the compression-related PQ issues are a significantly larger problem than anything SDV related.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #7113 of 7907 Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pym View Post

About freakin' time. Only 14 months after they released whole home (and 12 months after I switched to DTv). Better late than never, I suppose. Can you add external storage yet?

Don't need the extra storage. 2 500gb hard drives = a terabyte of storage
post #7114 of 7907 Old 10-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Psssshaw. Maybe you don't.

I've got 1 500GB DVR that sits around 80% full. All the time.

Now, the 2TB RAID 1 array on the other DVR? I can't seem to scratch it. Best I've done on it is 5%.
post #7115 of 7907 Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

I'm with you the 1TB is more than enough for me.

I have a media server for storing favorite movies. I want the flexibility to take it with me should the need arise. Keeping movies on the DVR just wasn't flexible enough for me. My media server is a laptop with HDMI out and a big hard drive that is backed up to a NAS. I can watch my videos anytime anywhere.

The only problem I have with this solution is the non clear QAM channels. I haven't figured out a way to deal with that.

Rodney
post #7116 of 7907 Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post

I'm with you the 1TB is more than enough for me.

I have a media server for storing favorite movies. I want the flexibility to take it with me should the need arise. Keeping movies on the DVR just wasn't flexible enough for me. My media server is a laptop with HDMI out and a big hard drive that is backed up to a NAS. I can watch my videos anytime anywhere.

The only problem I have with this solution is the non clear QAM channels. I haven't figured out a way to deal with that.

Stop using your laptop as a media server and setup a proper PC so you can use a Ceton card! Then you'd be set (well, after you get a cable card and a pair of SDV adapters).

I use Plex media server for all things movies/music. It'll even transcode and stream to your i*/Droid device.

DTV's Nomad device looks interesting. But I'd rather see it have more Sling like functionality.
post #7117 of 7907 Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the awesome update we all just got. Delete shows from any box! Man I have been waiting on this one for a long time. And yes I know DirecTV has had this feature all along... x4 FFWD awesome!

Yes, the delete shows from any box feature is great. In addition, the latest update fixed the latency issues that occured when pressing the remote for shows on the remote DVR.

There are two features I would like TWC to add. The first is folders for recorded shows or something like they already implemented when searching for a show. For example, if you search the guide for "College Football" there is one listing. Only once you hit the Select button do all the individual games appear.

The second is a widescreen guide, but at least the website provides a good substitute with its 3 hour guide.

Now pull those analogs and reduce the compression!

I must give TWC credit. They were the only provider in the country that had the Wake vs Virginia Tech football game on. It was broadcast on ESPN3 which is over the internet, but TWC showed the game on channel 519.

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #7118 of 7907 Old 10-22-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

Now pull those analogs and reduce the compression!.

Rumor has it the first part will start happening soon..now whether the IT boys in Raleigh that watch tv on 19" PC monitors will use that to reduce the over- compression is another story...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7119 of 7907 Old 10-22-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Rumor has it the first part will start happening soon..now whether the IT boys in Raleigh that watch tv on 19" PC monitors will use that to reduce the over- compression is another story...

Correct..The first part of it happens Nov.10 and than we will see the analogs slowly disappear from channel 75 on down a little at a time.

Rob

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #7120 of 7907 Old 10-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

About time! The analogs will not be missed. Well, maybe by a few.

Now, if TWC will switch to MPEG4, turn the compression knob down to about 2, get a faster DVR with HD guide, internet access, ability to play on network DNLA content, add external storage and do my laundry at a preset time of the week, I might switch back!

Oh, and "folderize" shows when you have more than one recorded... Or did that get fixed in this last update?
post #7121 of 7907 Old 10-22-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now, if TWC will switch to MPEG4,

Already in place for a few select channels..

Bob

post #7122 of 7907 Old 10-22-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HD simulcasts of season pass sports packages. Need a newer MPEG 4 capable box (42xx/82xx/83xx will not work).

post #7123 of 7907 Old 10-22-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

HD simulcasts of season pass sports packages. Need a newer MPEG 4 capable box (42xx/82xx/83xx will not work).

That's one way NOT to support Clear Qam's..

Bob

post #7124 of 7907 Old 10-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Awesome! How's the PQ?
post #7125 of 7907 Old 10-22-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome! How's the PQ?

Don't know don't have them..Ask Joe or ybsane (not)!

Bob

post #7126 of 7907 Old 10-22-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't have them, either.

post #7127 of 7907 Old 10-22-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have only got to look at hockey so far and in my opinion with the fast action of hockey you will notice artifacts right away. There is a big improvement, but can be better. This is through my Samsung 3272

Rob

post #7128 of 7907 Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Liked: 11
I have 2 TVs that I am using their built-in QAM / ATSC tuners to receive the HD locals that TWC offers. During the Panthers games and other FOX NFL games, I receive the stadium background audio (i.e. fans, qb calling plays at the line, etc.) but I don't get the audio from the announcers? Is this normal? I tested this on both TVs. Anyone know if the announcers audio is available with an OTA antenna?

Thanks,

CT
post #7129 of 7907 Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clthoma2 View Post

I have 2 TVs that I am using their built-in QAM / ATSC tuners to receive the HD locals that TWC offers. During the Panthers games and other FOX NFL games, I receive the stadium background audio (i.e. fans, qb calling plays at the line, etc.) but I don't get the audio from the announcers? Is this normal? I tested this on both TVs. Anyone know if the announcers audio is available with an OTA antenna?

Thanks,

CT

The Audio for OTA is the same as what TWC passes through, sounds like a setting on the TV's not being right. I check both OTA and TWC to compare and have seen any Audio issue's. Check and see what Bob has to add.

Rob

post #7130 of 7907 Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clthoma2 View Post

Thanks,

CT

Sorry you are having an issue CT..FOX supplies audio that way for NFL games on the SAP (secondary audio program). This indicates you have the SAP audio selected in both TV's. Suggest consulting your owners manual for further instructions. For OTA, we set it up differently so this problem does not occur. TWC chooses NOT to carry the channel in the proper manner as we do for OTA despite our request for them to do so..therefore viewers like you have this issue at times. it will only get worse as the FCC has mandated most channels add SAP-DVS channel and support it.

Bob

post #7131 of 7907 Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 AM
jrs

It looks like the Weather Channel HD (1418) is working now. Since it is basic cable, will it be available on free QAM?
post #7132 of 7907 Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post

It looks like the Weather Channel HD (1418) is working now. Since it is basic cable, will it be available on free QAM?

I'm pretty sure it's a SDV channel..So no..

Bob

post #7133 of 7907 Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

G4, Cooking, and DIY HD channels are live now as well.
post #7134 of 7907 Old 11-01-2011, 04:39 PM

LOL...My TWC HD is showing the Tennis Channel. The info bar shows it's TWC HD. The other are mapped fine. Strange. This is in Goldsboro.
post #7135 of 7907 Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Time Warner Cable's agreements with programmers and broadcasters to carry their services and stations routinely expire from time to time. We are usually able to obtain renewals or extensions of such agreements, but in order to comply with applicable regulations, we must inform you when an agreement is about to expire. The following agreements are due to expire soon, and we may be required to cease carriage of one or more of these services/stations in the near future:

Encore, Encore Action, Encore Love, Encore Mystery, Encore Drama, Encore WAM, Encore Westerns, Starz!, Starz Cinema, Starz Comedy, Starz Edge, Starz HD, Starz InBlack, Starz Kids & Family, Starz On Demand, BBC America, BBC America HD, BBC On Demand, Erotic Networks, E!, Style, TruTV, TruTV HD, Zee TV, Bandamax, De Pelicula, De Pelicula Classico, Fuse, Fuse HD,Golf Channel,Golf Channel HD,Sprout, Encore HD, Youtoo, Starz Edge HD, Starz Kids and Family HD, Starz Comedy HD, NHL Center Ice, NHL Network, and NHL Network HD.

In addition, from time to time we make certain changes in the services that we offer in order to better serve our customers. The following changes are planned:

On or about November 3rd, Kids Pre-School On Demand channels 231 and 1056 will no longer be available as a standalone channel and its programming will move to Kids On Demand channels 230 and 1057. Cutting Edge On Demand channels 341 and 1053 will no longer be available as standalone channels and its programming will move to Entertainment On Demand channels 340 and 1050. Big Ten Network On Demand channels 549, 1073 and 1549 will change to Sports Pass On Demand. Nature & Knowledge On Demand will move from channel 425 to channel 276.

On or about November 3rd, The Weather Channel HD will be added to Basic Cable on channel 1418. Also on this date, the following channels will be added to the Digital Tier: G4 HD channel 1311, Cooking Channel HD channel 1353 and DIY HD channel 1356.

On or about November 3rd, FEARnet HD will be added to Movie Pass on channel 1644 and FEARnet HD On Demand programming will be added to Movie Pass On Demand channels 650, 1026 and 1650. On or about November 3rd, NHL Center Ice/MLB Extra Innings duplicated channels 569 and 1569 will move to channel 1555 and duplicated channels 570 and 1570 will move to channel 1556. Also on this date, NBA League Pass duplicated channels 581 and 1581 will move to channel 1571.

On or about November 10th, the following channel changes will occur: In Albemarle, Gastonia, Concord, Salisbury and Shelby, Hallmark Channel will move from channel 76 to channel 62. In Charlotte, Clover, Monroe, Rockingham and Wadesboro, Hallmark Channel will move from channel 76 to channel 23. In Charlotte and Monroe, EWTN will move from channel 77 to channel 62. In Rockingham and Wadesboro, TBN will move from channel 77 to channel 62. In Albemarle, Charlotte, Gastonia, Concord, Rockingham, Salisbury and Wadesboro, INSP will move from channel 78 to channel 71. In Clover, INSP will move from channel 78 to channel 62. In Monroe, TBN will move from channel 78 to channel 71. In Mooresville, Huntersville and Statesville, Bravo will move from channel 76 to channel 33, The Golf Channel will move from channel 77 to channel 71 and Versus will move from channel 78 to channel 72.

On or about November 17th, Discovery Fit & Health will move from channel 521 to channel 523.

On or about November 22nd, the following addition is planned for Basic Cable: Special Events on digital channels 521 and 522.

On or about December 1st, the following channel changes are planned: Pay-Per-View Preview channel 770 will no longer be available. Adult On Demand will move from channel 792 to channel 775. TEN will move from channel 785 to channel 789. SexSee will move from channel 786 to channel 790. Vavoom will move from channel 788 to channel 792. Outrageous On Demand will move from channel 798 to channel 799. Playboy will no longer be offered as a pay-per-view service on channel 780. Playboy, as a monthly premium subscription, will move from channel 782 to channel 780. Playboy en Espanol will available with a monthly subscription to Playboy on channel 781. Playboy On Demand will be available with a monthly subscription to Playboy on channel 782. Penthouse and Penthouse On Demand will be available with a monthly subscription to Penthouse on channels 783 and 784. TEN and TEN On Demand will be available with a monthly subscription to TEN on channels 785 and 786. REAL and REAL On Demand will be available with a monthly subscription to REAL on channels 787 and 788. Penthouse Pay-Per-View will be available on channel 791. In the Huntersville, Mooresville and Statesville lineups, Club Jenna channel 789 and Fresh channel 791 will no longer be available.

On or about December 7th, the following additions are planned for the Digital Tier: TV Guide Nework channel 331, Gospel Music Channel HD ch 1283, GSN HD channel 1317, Ovation HD channel 1326, Style HD channel 1357, Fox Soccer Channel HD ch 1511 and Sundance HD channel 1628 (will also be available with Movie Pass).

The new services listed below cannot be accessed on CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Products purchased at retail without additional, two-way capable equipment:

The Weather Channel HD, G4 HD, Cooking Channel HD, DIY HD, FEARnet HD, Special Event channels, Playboy On Demand, Playboy en Espanol, Penthouse, Penthouse On Demand, TEN, TEN On Demand, REAL, REAL On Demand, Penthouse Pay-Per-View, TV Guide Network, Gospel Music Channel HD, GSN HD, Ovation HD, Style HD, Fox Soccer Channel HD, Sundance HD.
post #7136 of 7907 Old 11-01-2011, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm happy you guys are getting Weather Channel HD and Sundance HD.

Wish we with BHN Orlando got them in our notice yesterday.
post #7137 of 7907 Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got a 4640HDC box..emailed TWC first thing this am and the box was here before 10am. Anyone have experience with this one?

Bob

post #7138 of 7907 Old 11-08-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got a 4640HDC box..emailed TWC first thing this am and the box was here before 10am. Anyone have experience with this one?

That's the non-DVR version of the 8640HDC I've had for some time now. The only issue I've had with the 8640 (ever since ODN 4.0 was launched, and continuing now with 4.1 - it never occurred with ODN 3.2) is that occasionally the Dolby Digital output stream quits when the input stream is interrupted - as in a channel change or DVR operation (not an issue with the 4640). It is easily fixed by changing channels again or hitting Pause/Play to re-sync the stream. This has not been a widespread issue but has been reported by others besides me.

The 4640 should definitely be better/faster than its predecessor, the 4250HDC. The main current-model alternative to the 4640 would be the Samsung 3260, which is faster in menu navigation and such but has a pretty flaky HDCP implementation.

post #7139 of 7907 Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Woke up to all four boxes updated from 4.1.0_7 to 5.0.0_6. No discernible differences on the face of things.

Only update issue was that the 8640 did not re-establish connection to the SDV server after the update (confirmed in diagnostics) and needed to be rebooted, after which the connection to the SDV server was restored almost instantly. Before I rebooted, most SDV channels (which is just about all of them here) were off-line except those in the carousel, despite having been running post-update for almost three hours. The two 3260s and the 4250 had updated and reconnected to SDV server with no issues.

post #7140 of 7907 Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Bob's sense of humor at work???

(The <10 Mbps bitrate needs a much more sarcastic comment!)

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page