Charlotte, NC - TWC - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #691 of 7910 Old 02-04-2004, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you tried another box? I have the 3510 and don't have any problems nor do any of my neighbors with the same box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 7910 Old 02-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

I have tried FOUR 3510 boxes...all with the same result.
What's funny is Phil (who really is a nice guy) misunderstood that I had B&K equipment.
He said he heard it was an issue with B&K.
That's when I reminded him I have Pioneer.
Thus the feeling that everyone is waiting for someone else to do something (Dilbert-style ).
Please help TW!
post #693 of 7910 Old 02-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sccofer
Have you tried another box? I have the 3510 and don't have any problems nor do any of my neighbors with the same box.

I have tried other 3510 boxes with the same problem. I haven't tried other receivers due the high cost involved. Cajunlab has tried other receivers to no avail. I have tried conditioning the power by buying an expensive Monster Power conditioner which didn't do anything except lighten my wallet. It does have some cool blue lights though... I also tried different cables and even repositioning the 3510 for fear that some strange magnetic interferece was causing the popping. It looks as though TWC may be starting to own up to the problem. I think it will just take some time. By then I would have switched to the DVR box.

Rodney
post #694 of 7910 Old 02-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Pardon my stupid but why are you using the 3510 box? I've got the Pioneer Voyager HDTV box which doesn't have a model number on the rear and when I picked it up it had no manual so it may be an 8808 as this is the only number on the rear that makes any sense but it is combined with other digits. Maybe I'm using the 3510 for all I know but I've never had the issues you folks have been describing and my receiver is the 4802. I've been using this box for months.

Hugh Campbell
post #695 of 7910 Old 02-04-2004, 09:07 AM

I wonder if it could have anything to do with location? I'm up in the University area & have been using the 3510 box with a Onkyo TX-SR610 receiver for quite a while and have never had this problem.
post #696 of 7910 Old 02-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HughScot
Pardon my stupid but why are you using the 3510 box? I've got the Pioneer Voyager HDTV box which doesn't have a model number on the rear and when I picked it up it had no manual so it may be an 8808 as this is the only number on the rear that makes any sense but it is combined with other digits. Maybe I'm using the 3510 for all I know but I've never had the issues you folks have been describing and my receiver is the 4802. I've been using this box for months.

That is the correct box that most of us use. The full model number can be found underneath the box: BD-V3510HD. We have the same set up with the same hardware it sounds like. I don't know what factor is causing the problem. If it is present in different types of surround recievers then one has to believe the problem is within the 3510. TWC has even alluded to this. I say we trade 4802's!!! Just kidding. If yours is like mine it's 50lbs and has a thousand cables running to it. I wonder if the cable box has an advance setting that can help this. If you don't mind let me know exactly how you have yours set up. Not that there are many choices but you never know.

Rodney
post #697 of 7910 Old 02-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

I've got my box connected to the 4802 via component cable and to my 4802 via digital coax for the audio. That's it and it works fine. It also works fine using standard audio cables to the 4802. And you are right, I'm not unhooking thousands of cables from my 4802 to exchange.

Good luck.

Hugh Campbell
post #698 of 7910 Old 02-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Hugh,
Consider yourself lucky.
As for the rest of us......
I first notified TW 6 months ago.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=3510
post #699 of 7910 Old 02-04-2004, 02:29 PM

Keith,

Some questions about TWC pricing and marketing. I find the pricing information given at

http://www.twcarolina.com/services/p.../charlotte.asp

and

http://www.twcarolina.com/downloads/..._Charlotte.pdf

remarkably confusing, and I know from talking with others that I am not alone.

For instance, what do I need to recieve HD? There are details of what is needed for digital cable, but no mention of HDTV.

Do I need to get standard cable to have 'navigator+' for HD or can I just have basic? Can I add in other option packages without standard cable, such as HBO?

The channel line up mentions 'digital basic', which is not mentioned in the pricing page, though I assume these are what you get with 'basic cable' + 'navigator+'.

What package do the 'HDTV' channels come with - 201, 220, 225, etc?

Can I use the standard definition DVR and get HD at the same time?

The HBO popup refers to the need for 'digital cable', but the main page talks about 'navigator+', which may be the same thing, but it is not clear.

Is there an extra charge for HD? Another page talks about a $40 installation fee per HDTV, but this is not on the pricing page.

From the channel listing, it looks like UPN and WB are not available in HD in Charlotte, even though these channels do broadcast in HD in other areas.

Channels 290/291 are marked as HDTV, but have no marker to indicate that a HD converter is required. Channel 358 is colored for HD and its name implies HD, but it is not clear what package it goes with by color - one assumes the Showtime package, but this is left up to the reader to work it out.

HBO on demand is marked as requiring a HD converter, but does not indicate HD content. Is it HD?

Sorry to be hard on you, but it seems like TWC are trying to put people off using thier services by making the pricing as complex as possible.

Suggested changes.

1) Mark all channels in the line up by a package abbreviation. Then have the abbreviation in a key that links to a package name that exists with the same name in the pricing lineup.

2) Mark the HD channels with an extra column, asterix or other marker.

3) On the pricing page, use common naming. If you want to call it 'navigator+', always use that term, not 'digital cable'.

4) Be clear about the prerequisits for each package.
post #700 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 06:00 AM

Hey Cajunlab-

You mentioned a coax-optical converter. Where did you get such a thing?

How much?

Sounds like that might cure my life's problems.

Thanks
post #701 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Audio Authority makes it. http://www.audioauthority.com/aacconsumers/977detc.html
I wasted $80.00. It did not stop the crackling & popping sounds from the 3510 box.
I later found out Radio Shack makes the same thing for about $20.00.
The inverse could be useful (optical-coax) for long digital runs (i.e.XBox) since you could run RG6 instead of costly optical.
post #702 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
See MCM Electronics.com..they have the convertors in both varieties,
as well as optical extenders.

A better choice is the Midiman CO2, about $75 at the Guitar Center,
it is bi-directional, and does both optical and coaxial.

http://www.midiman.com/index.php?do=...fbfcf54039be6b

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #703 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 01:39 PM

Welcome Diana and Keith. I appreciate your participation on this forum.

Keith, can you share any information on when you will add the local WB and UPN HD channels?
post #704 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Diana & Keith,
Sorry to be so persistent BUT:
Is there any definitive answer from TimeWarner to the "3510box-crackle&pop-via-digital-audio-out-when-changing-channels" issue?
I've been waiting 6-months now.
Please and thank you.
post #705 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cajunlab
Diana & Keith,
Is there any definitive answer from TimeWarner to the "3510box-crackle&pop-via-digital-audio-out-when-changing-channels" issue?
Please and thank you.

Since I don't have this problem I am curious as to why you think it is the cable box when the majority of people have no problem and I believe you have tried other boxes of the same model?

Hugh Campbell
post #706 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Ok.. Based on my experience with Dolby and FOX's 5.1.... According to those who know more than I do..This is an implementation issue in the consumer decoder, otherwise known as sloppy code.. The dolby decoder should cleanly "mute" when the stream changes for any reason. That does not always happen.
If the analog audio output of the cable box pops, then it is in the cable box audio circuit. If the pop occurs in the "receiver" or "decoder" fed by the digital output of the cable box, then it is in that unit. Some DVD's cause
this problem when the audio mode changes between DD 2.0 and DD 5.1.
You may or may not hear this same "pop" when we air FOX's 5.1 and go to
our local breaksin DD2.0. Some decoders pop, others mute cleanly. There is no fix for this if you are unlucky enough to have the problem. Having done the test here with multiple decoders and receivers, there are many combinations that have this problems.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #707 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 04:19 PM

Brad,

We have space reserved for those channels and will offer those channels in the HD programming space when they offer more than the current three hours or so of native HD programming since that content is already available on your standard programming channels in standard def.

Keith Crawford
Marketing Department
Time Warner Cable
Charlotte Division
post #708 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 04:23 PM

savagez3,

I've printed your post and I need to do some research. You raise some very valid questions, but it may take me some time to get back with you on your questions concerning the tier structure etc.

- Keith

Keith Crawford
Marketing Department
Time Warner Cable
Charlotte Division
post #709 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cajunlab
Diana & Keith,
Please and thank you.

Just for fun I did a search on AVS and found a number of people on the NY local forum were using the 3510 and none have this problem. I also checked on a couple of other forums and found nothing re problems on this box. Perhaps it is something else in your equipment that is causing this problem. Have you tried going direct to the TV?

Hugh Campbell
post #710 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks everyone.
I really wanted a TW response, too.

Hugh,
TWCharlotte has acknowledged a known problem with the digital audio out causing crackling & popping. The NY people are lucky or something is different...who knows...but it's not just me.
OTOH, I have received numerous PM's from people in the same boat with me following my posts who are frustrated that no one at TW will address the issue.
I have switced receivers which is the only item between the 3510 and the speakers with the same bad result.
I can't go directly to the TV since it is an Infocus 7200 projector (no sound, video only).
Also, I'm on my 4th 3510 box.
Thanks, though.

bdfox18doe,
i would have assumed the analog and digital audio circuits were independant from each other.....since analog never does it and digital always does it.
The sound is a crackling & popping that last up to 3-seconds, not a brief pop.
I infer you are saying I'm SOL....hope not.
If so I will have to switch to D*Tv...which has fewer HD channels.

I had higher hopes for TW to solve it.
You can really feel the bureaucracy with a problem like this....
Right now I'll switch to the HDTivo box when it is released.
If that doesn't do it then the heck with it.

Again, Thanks for everyones help.
I do appreciate it.

How about it TimeWarner....any hope?
post #711 of 7910 Old 02-05-2004, 09:03 PM

Quote:

We have space reserved for those channels and will offer those channels in the HD programming space when they offer more than the current three hours or so of native HD programming since that content is already available on your standard programming channels in standard def.

Jeez Keith, that really stinks. I have been lurking in this forum for months and this is the first time that I have been compelled to write.

I finally broke down and bought my HD set and subscribed to digital cable HD for the Super Bowl in HD, but I fully expected to see my favorite show, Smallville in, HD. It is advertised as available in HD. But no, not available.

Now you are telling me that even though you have the channels available you are not going to flip the switch. In order to watch Smallville or Enterprise in Charlotte, I will have to buy a High Definition satellite receiver and an antennae. How much HD content is enough?

Do you not realize that FOX-DT has zero HD content?
What is the real story?
post #712 of 7910 Old 02-06-2004, 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TWCCLTMKTNG
savagez3,

I've printed your post and I need to do some research. You raise some very valid questions, but it may take me some time to get back with you on your questions concerning the tier structure etc.

- Keith

Keith,

No problem - thank you for letting me know you are working on it.

Thanks,

Jonathan
post #713 of 7910 Old 02-06-2004, 10:39 AM

Just had the TW guy out to bring a HD box. He brought the Pioneer, but when we checked it, it was faulty. But he didn't have any more Pioneer boxes, and in fact reported that TW was almost out of them. So he installed the SA box, but put me on a list to get a Pio box when more are in stock.

My question: Will I notice a difference on my Sammy 61"
post #714 of 7910 Old 02-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

It's probably the old HD box and the HD picture quality is fine as far as I can remember.

Hugh Campbell
post #715 of 7910 Old 02-06-2004, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lstokes
Just had the TW guy out to bring a HD box. He brought the Pioneer, but when we checked it, it was faulty. But he didn't have any more Pioneer boxes, and in fact reported that TW was almost out of them. So he installed the SA box, but put me on a list to get a Pio box when more are in stock.

let me know how that box works out for you. i am getting my hd box monday, so i'm not sure which one i will be getting.
post #716 of 7910 Old 02-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lstokes

You will most likely not see a difference. The main difference is the Pioneer has a DVI connection but it won't work with your Sammy. A known problem with the Pioneer box that will be fixed in other markets but not in Charlotte. TW Charlotte refuses to admit there is a problem. Very frustrating. This may or may not be the truth. Everyone I call doesn't even know what the DVI connection is. Also there is no internal communications at all. I realize this a negative response and I don't mean to unload but some of us have well over $10000 invested and can't get support to admit that known problems exists that other markets are being provided fixes for.

Rodney
post #717 of 7910 Old 02-06-2004, 12:39 PM

rcase-

I'm aware of this whole dvi/sammy fiasco. And I'm aware that it's been licked in most TW service areas. But I'm astonished and disappointed to hear that TW Charlotte is in denial about the whole thing.

Hey Keith & Diana- is there any way you can help us to make some headway on this?

Thanks
post #718 of 7910 Old 02-06-2004, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi There,

I want to clear up something. I'm not affiliated with the Time Warner Cable Division in Charlotte. I am a TWC employee of the South Carolina Division.

I am very willing to help in whatever way I can to explain general TWC policy and procedures in relation to your questions. In addition, I do know a few TWC Charlotte employees, so when I first stepped in to help, I was able to contact the correct person to get an answer. At this point the Charlotte office saw the value of providing you with your own local contact on this thread.

Again, I don't want you to think that I am rejecting the idea of helping when and where I can, but I know nothing about Pioneer equipment, nor do I have any contacts in the Engineering group in Charlotte. As such, whenever you include my name in your request for information, I do feel very bad, because I really am not in a position to assist you in this regard.

I though long and hard over this post. I do hope that I have written it in such a way so that I haven't offended anyone. I really just wanted you to understand why I haven't responded to the specific requests in regard to Pioneer equipment.

Again, no 'passing the buck' was meant by this posting, I promise to continue to help in those ways that I can in the furture.

Diana Smith
Director of Marketing for Video Services
Read our Phil the Cable Guy Blog!
post #719 of 7910 Old 02-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Diana,

Please do not worry about any hurt feelings. We should use Keith as he is in Charlotte. We appreciate your thoughts and your email was worded perfectly. I've been in marketing and sales all my life and you have done just fine. Always remember you can never please every one all the time. And some people can't be helped.

Take care,
Hugh

Hugh Campbell
post #720 of 7910 Old 02-07-2004, 01:13 PM

I am getting no clear answer from TW on this problem I am having. Maybe someone in here can clear this problem up. I just got HD with the SA box about a month ago.Two issues I am having. One, when I press the guide to see what's on the INHD, (for example last night it said there was an NBA game on at 8:00) I made plans to watch this game, just to sit and wait to find out that college hockey came on at 8:00. I checked the channel guide to make sure that what I saw was NBA at 8:00, and it was. So what's the deal with this? Is this a known issue? That is just one example, it happens all the time, and everytime I call TW to get some answers, they have no clue why. So now I have set up an appointment to have a "technician" come out and look at my box. The other problem I am having is a lag in sound, the mouth is moving before the words actually come out. Of course TW had no solution for this either. I am very frusrtated with TW(TO SAY THE LEAST!). I payed $2,000 for a Sony HD Television, and another $40 to TW, and have a "technician" setup the HD box box, which might I add takes no technical skills at all to hook up, but TW says they have to have someone come out and do it. I am paying for these INHD channels, and I am not getting what is advertised as far as the shows that it says will be on. I hope someone from TW see's this thread and have an answer, or at least acknowledge that there is a problem and they are working on it. Because the customer support center certainly does not have a clue on how to help me.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page