AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4viper View Post

hi Charlotte TWC folks

I'm looking to start service with TWC cable (internet + TV) sometime in near future, but I dont want to spend any more then is absolutely necessary

my tv is the Samsung PN50B650 50" plasma which apparently has built in Clear QAM digital tuner. I dont think my TV is CableCard compatible.

My question is this:
-what service do I need to ask for in order to utilize my TV's tuner instead of paying an additional $11/month for HD/Digital set-top box ? If I can utilize my TV tuner and pick up most (if not all) my channels in HD that I would normally get from the set-top, i would much rather go this route and save the money. I dont mind losing features like on-screen guide or Start Over, etc..

- what are other down sides to using built in QAM tuner instead of set-top box?

Thanks!!

You will only get the local broadcast stations (main and most subchannels) in clear QAM. A few other SD channels are consistently available, such as the local TWC news channel. There are no clear QAM HD cable services at all. Virtually all cable services are both encrypted and SDV (switched digital video - services are carried only when someone is actually watching and physical channel cab vary from session to session).

For more or less "full service", the only real alternative to renting a box from TWC is to rent a cable card from them and plug it into a third party cable card tuner that is compatible with SDV, such as units available from Ceton or SiliconDust. The necessary SDV tuning adapters are "free" from TWC.

Commercial AV Design Engineer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7172 of 7944 Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4viper View Post

hi Charlotte TWC folks

I'm looking to start service with TWC cable (internet + TV) sometime in near future, but I dont want to spend any more then is absolutely necessary

my tv is the Samsung PN50B650 50" plasma which apparently has built in Clear QAM digital tuner. I dont think my TV is CableCard compatible.

My question is this:
-what service do I need to ask for in order to utilize my TV's tuner instead of paying an additional $11/month for HD/Digital set-top box ? If I can utilize my TV tuner and pick up most (if not all) my channels in HD that I would normally get from the set-top, i would much rather go this route and save the money. I dont mind losing features like on-screen guide or Start Over, etc..

- what are other down sides to using built in QAM tuner instead of set-top box?

Thanks!!

With any of the TV sevices from the lowest to highest you can get the local OTA HD channels (those that you can get with an antenna). Everything else will be analog SD. The other Digital & HD stuff will be encrypted. If all you want is HD, save some money & get an antenna, Samsung TV's have good ATSC tunners.
post #7173 of 7944 Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
01/02/12: Versus 74, 514, 1514 rebrands to NBC Sports Network

01/04/12: Manhandle 797, Manhandle on Demand 798

01/18/12:

HD Movies on Demand 1001 moves to Movies On Demand 600, 1000, 1600
HD Movie Pass on Demand 1027 moves to Movie Pass On Demand 650, 1026, 1650
Primetime HD On Demand 1041 moves to Primetime On Demand 195, 1040, 1195
Showtime HD On Demand 1035 moves to Showtime On Demand 762, 1034, 1762.
Big Ten Network HD On Demand 1074 moves to Sports Pass On Demand 549, 1073, 1549
HBO HD On Demand content will be added to HBO On Demand channels 760, 1030, 1760.

01/30/12:

Music Choice On Demand 481 and 1066 will become MC On Demand
The following addition is planned: 3D Pay-Per-View Channel

02/01/12:
Hustler TV channel 778, Hustler HD channel 1778 and Hustler On Demand.
post #7174 of 7944 Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Posted about this issue a few weeks back and nobody really addressed it. To reiterate:

I'm using an SA8300HD DVR running MDN software. They pushed out an update about 3 weeks back that cut my buffer time from 1 hour back to 30 minutes. It's always been an hour, in every DVR TWC has ever offered. It's what God wants. In a word, this sucks. Has nobody else noticed it or am I the sole target of a diabolical TWC plot? Dang, I was only late on my bill once.

Another issue is that the box doesn't seem to be recording scheduled programming when it's turned off (i.e. in the "off" state but still powered on). Used to be, it didn't matter whether the box was "off" or "on" to record something. Nasty of them to spring that on us and ruin my chance to see Dr. Who's latest X-mas special after returning home from visiting my dear sweet Mom. She's got Cox Cable in Fairfax. Her DVR is running Passport, which TWC used to use in the good ol' days. I was so green with envy that I didn't eat any of her Special Holiday Fruitcake.

So, is this stuff a TWC Navigator thing, just an MDN thing (you ODN guys feel free to chime in anytime...), or an archiguy-only thing? I've already had to replace my last box that blew the HDMI board and lost 700GB of programming on the expansion drive, now this? Oh, the humanity.
post #7175 of 7944 Old 01-11-2012, 05:05 AM
jrs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Posted about this issue a few weeks back and nobody really addressed it. To reiterate:

I'm using an SA8300HD DVR running MDN software. They pushed out an update about 3 weeks back that cut my buffer time from 1 hour back to 30 minutes. It's always been an hour, in every DVR TWC has ever offered. It's what God wants. In a word, this sucks. Has nobody else noticed it or am I the sole target of a diabolical TWC plot? Dang, I was only late on my bill once.

Another issue is that the box doesn't seem to be recording scheduled programming when it's turned off (i.e. in the "off" state but still powered on). Used to be, it didn't matter whether the box was "off" or "on" to record something. Nasty of them to spring that on us and ruin my chance to see Dr. Who's latest X-mas special after returning home from visiting my dear sweet Mom. She's got Cox Cable in Fairfax. Her DVR is running Passport, which TWC used to use in the good ol' days. I was so green with envy that I didn't eat any of her Special Holiday Fruitcake.

So, is this stuff a TWC Navigator thing, just an MDN thing (you ODN guys feel free to chime in anytime...), or an archiguy-only thing? I've already had to replace my last box that blew the HDMI board and lost 700GB of programming on the expansion drive, now this? Oh, the humanity.

I never noticed the buffer time on mine, and all three DVRs record when off (that is, except for when they get confused and just decide they don't want to record certain shows at all).

How do I know if I am running passport or MDN?

(btw- the christmas special was pretty good. You can get it on itunes if you haven't seen it yet)
post #7176 of 7944 Old 01-12-2012, 06:46 AM

I have recently moved into a new home and got the whole home dvr package. When the guy came out to install he had to run a feed from the pole to the house. He also added two more outlets in the spare bedrooms. The main room which already had a jack is where the main DVR is. My complaint is that some of the HD channels are black or are high pixelated but the downstairs client box can view all the channels just fine. Also if I go to the non HD version of the same channel, I can view it just fine. What can be done for me to get those channels in the main room without having to get the run around from TWC? I have tried to reboot and sometimes that works but not usually.

Thanks,

Colin
post #7177 of 7944 Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 AM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozilla View Post

What can be done for me to get those channels in the main room without having to get the run around from TWC? I have tried to reboot and sometimes that works but not usually.

Thanks,

Colin

I am a little confused- how many dvrs do you have? Is there one in each room that we are talking about? Is the multi-room working at all?

If you aren't getting a good picture, just call them, and they will at least check the signal.

This might sound dumb but make sure that the output resolutions are set right on the cable box (by "right", I mean something that the TV can handle)
EDIT- Also make sure that you are connected via component or hdmi when selecting HD channels

I had a problem VERY early on in my MRV, and I did something like this to isolate the problem:

Find a channel/show that looks good on one tv and bad on another, and record it on each. Then try playing back both locally and streamed, this might help you figure out if it is the LOCAl box that is the problem. This might give you something to show the TWC guy when he comes out, also.

My problem was specifically with USA-hd- it simply would NOT stream. They did fix that though

Another thought would be to try swapping the boxes room-to-room, to see if the problems stay with the box, or with the jack.
post #7178 of 7944 Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post

Find a channel/show that looks good on one tv and bad on another, and record it on each. Then try playing back both locally and streamed, this might help you figure out if it is the LOCAl box that is the problem. This might give you something to show the TWC guy when he comes out, also.

My problem was specifically with USA-hd- it simply would NOT stream. They did fix that though

Another thought would be to try swapping the boxes room-to-room, to see if the problems stay with the box, or with the jack.

All the resolution and all is correctly set. Its funny because when I switch to say the Food NetworkHD it will be black. But when I hit to the Select button on the remote and select start over, I can watch the show just fine but its the recorded and not "live".

I called them when this initially happened and they sent a signal and did all that jazz and it worked fine. I flipped through a few channels with them on the phone, then as soon as I hang up, I flip to a channel its black.

I suppose Ill try and swap boxes out tonight and see what happens.

Thanks,

Colin
post #7179 of 7944 Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 PM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozilla View Post

All the resolution and all is correctly set. Its funny because when I switch to say the Food NetworkHD it will be black. But when I hit to the Select button on the remote and select start over, I can watch the show just fine but its the recorded and not "live".

I called them when this initially happened and they sent a signal and did all that jazz and it worked fine. I flipped through a few channels with them on the phone, then as soon as I hang up, I flip to a channel its black.

I suppose Ill try and swap boxes out tonight and see what happens.

Thanks,

Colin

Not that this is a solution, but what happens if you just "jump" back a little bit, rather than starting over?
post #7180 of 7944 Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Not that this is a solution, but what happens if you just "jump" back a little bit, rather than starting over?

Not sure will have to try that this evening when I get home from work. I will report back.
post #7181 of 7944 Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:

I never noticed the buffer time on mine, and all three DVRs record when off (that is, except for when they get confused and just decide they don't want to record certain shows at all).

Checking the buffer time is real easy. After a channel - any channel - has been playing for an hour or more, hit "info" and see how much buffer you have recorded. Or, simply start backing up and see where it runs out - at the 30 minute mark or the 60 minute mark. It's been 60 minutes since they introduced DVR service, and cutting it in half is a big reduction in functionality for no decernable reason. Ditto the whole thing about not recording when in the "off" state. Why? I'm pretty pissed about it.

Quote:

How do I know if I am running passport or MDN?

TWC no longer uses the excellent Passport software. A few years back they decided they could save money by bringing their DVR software development in house. Thus was born the demon spawn "Navigator". There are two versions of Navigator, ODN and MDN. They want to phase out MDN, so I'm wondering if this is another way of crippling that program to "persuade" their customers to move to another DVR running ODN.

If you have an SA8300HD (not HDC, mind you) you're running MDN. If so, you have the bonus of being able to add an external expansion drive via the eSATA port, thereby giving you virtually unlimited programming storage. Any other model of DVR, and it's running ODN. That version doesn't support expansion drives, and it's slower as well.
post #7182 of 7944 Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:

When the channel is black, I cannot do anything. Rewind, jump back or anything.
post #7183 of 7944 Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Checking the buffer time is real easy. After a channel - any channel - has been playing for an hour or more, hit "info" and see how much buffer you have recorded. Or, simply start backing up and see where it runs out - at the 30 minute mark or the 60 minute mark. It's been 60 minutes since they introduced DVR service, and cutting it in half is a big reduction in functionality for no decernable reason. Ditto the whole thing about not recording when in the "off" state. Why? I'm pretty pissed about it.

TWC no longer uses the excellent Passport software. A few years back they decided they could save money by bringing their DVR software development in house. Thus was born the demon spawn "Navigator". There are two versions of Navigator, ODN and MDN. They want to phase out MDN, so I'm wondering if this is another way of crippling that program to "persuade" their customers to move to another DVR running ODN.

If you have an SA8300HD (not HDC, mind you) you're running MDN. If so, you have the bonus of being able to add an external expansion drive via the eSATA port, thereby giving you virtually unlimited programming storage. Any other model of DVR, and it's running ODN. That version doesn't support expansion drives, and it's slower as well.

Passport is never coming back!!!! So everyone please quit bitching about loosing it!
post #7184 of 7944 Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 AM
jrs

Quote:

My boxes are Explorer 8642HDCs. I checked yesterday- they have a 60 minute buffer.
post #7185 of 7944 Old 01-13-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Passport is never coming back!!!! So everyone please quit bitching about loosing it!,

Aww.. Party Pooper!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7186 of 7944 Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Passport is never coming back!!!! So everyone please quit bitching about loosing it!

Oh, I did. Switched to Directv. Have I mentioned I've got Pandora and Youtube on my DVR's now?
post #7187 of 7944 Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pym View Post

Oh, I did. Switched to Directv. Have I mentioned I've got Pandora and Youtube on my DVR's now?

But do you get news14 ?
post #7188 of 7944 Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But do you get news14 ?

No. It is a bit redundant. What with local stations running 4a-9a, 11a-1p and 4p-7:30p. Then, 10p-10:30p and 11p-11:30p.

I think that's enough news for one person to consume.
post #7189 of 7944 Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

No. It is a bit redundant. What with local stations running 4a-9a, 11a-1p and 4p-7:30p. Then, 10p-10:30p and 11p-11:30p.

I think that's enough news for one person to consume.

News14 Carolina is QAM ch 117.2 so those of us with Directv can still not watch it.
post #7190 of 7944 Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

TWC comes to see you about a price increase and they are whining about retransmission agreements....

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/N...arnings-118095

Earnings up 44%. This past quarter.
post #7191 of 7944 Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
ke4pym you must work for Direct TV!

LOL I don't really care who you go with they are all a rip off. They have what you want. It's like crack cocaine and they know they got you hooked.

My neighbor has it down. He switches from TW to DTV to Dish every 2 years. He gets the low intro rates and when they jack the rates up he cancels and moves on.

LOL I'd do the same but the SAT companies don't offer dishes that see through trees and rain. The woods end right at my house. My neighbor has no obstructions. I could put it towards the front of the house but the wifey says no way in he!!. I also have 8 HD TVs and neither of the SAT companies have a decent solution for that.

And then there is the 50mps internet... I am telling you it's like crack! Once you had 50mps you will never go back!!

So I will have to go and get the KY and let TW have at it!!

Rodney
post #7192 of 7944 Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post

ke4pym you must work for Direct TV!

LOL I don't really care who you go with they are all a rip off. They have what you want. It's like crack cocaine and they know they got you hooked.

My neighbor has it down. He switches from TW to DTV to Dish every 2 years. He gets the low intro rates and when they jack the rates up he cancels and moves on.

LOL I'd do the same but the SAT companies don't offer dishes that see through trees and rain. The woods end right at my house. My neighbor has no obstructions. I could put it towards the front of the house but the wifey says no way in he!!. I also have 8 HD TVs and neither of the SAT companies have a decent solution for that.

And then there is the 50mps internet... I am telling you it's like crack! Once you had 50mps you will never go back!!

So I will have to go and get the KY and let TW have at it!!

For the record, I don't work for DirecTV (but I do own TWC stock) and I was rocking 50/5 in August of 2010. I was one of the first to get Signature home in town.

Also, for the record, my dish has no problem "seeing" through the rain. Though, I take the time to peak my ODU on my own until I have 100% signal strength and have yet to have any breakup due to weather. Though, in fairness, we've yet to have a good ice storm lately. Those always seem to knock it out. But, my dish is right out back and I can hit it with some warm water.

While not quite to 8, the new HR34 is bangin' with 5 tuners and can RDU to 3 sets at the same time. So, no set top boxes if your TV's have the RDU functionality built in.

The point of the post was that, despite all of TWC's whining, they can't really blame price hikes (that much) on the demands of cable broadcasters.
post #7193 of 7944 Old 01-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

The point of the post was that, despite all of TWC's whining, they can't really blame price hikes (that much) on the demands of cable broadcasters.

Don't think I agree with that statement...Programmers are killing cable/dish providers slowly...Revenue is up because of the TWC expansion into business class telecomm. services. Programmers hold all the cards and until there is some parity in what the over the top providers have to pay, video subs will continue to decline as the technology to utilize those services becomes easier to utilize to joe average...
post #7194 of 7944 Old 02-04-2012, 07:16 AM
mjh

A friend of mine recently dropped dish network in favor of TWC's "broadcast" lineup for $14/mo. He's got a TiVo Premiere to use as his DVR.

Now, I know a few things:
  1. The channel lineup that he subscribed to includes all local HD broadcasts
  2. He can easily receive the analog stations.

My question is this: Given the lineup he's subscribed to, in order to properly receive the HD broadcasts channels, does he need a cablecard, a tuning adapter, or both?

Thanks in advance.
post #7195 of 7944 Old 02-04-2012, 07:38 PM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post

A friend of mine recently dropped dish network in favor of TWC's "broadcast" lineup for $14/mo. He's got a TiVo Premiere to use as his DVR.

Now, I know a few things:
  1. The channel lineup that he subscribed to includes all local HD broadcasts
  2. He can easily receive the analog stations.

My question is this: Given the lineup he's subscribed to, in order to properly receive the HD broadcasts channels, does he need a cablecard, a tuning adapter, or both?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt that he can get those things without a digital cable package. IF he can, he needs a multi-card that can decode multiple streams at once...

With digital cable, the tuning adapter is free- but the card costs a few dollars a month.
post #7196 of 7944 Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM
mjh

Quote:

I doubt that he can get those things without a digital cable package. IF he can, he needs a multi-card that can decode multiple streams at once...

Well, according to this TWC offers the HD feeds on their broadcast package. And honestly I thought all cable companies are required to include *all* local broadcast feeds in all of their packages. But I dont know.
Quote:

With digital cable, the tuning adapter is free- but the card costs a few dollars a month.

My question is more directed at whether or not a tuning adapter is required for the specific broadcast package. The TWC installer said it wasn't, but I don't know whether to believe him. He also said that a cablecard isn't required to get the package, but demonstrably, my friend can't get the HD feeds he's paying for w/o the cablecard.
post #7197 of 7944 Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
All local HDTV channels are available on Clear QAM, so no tuning adapter is needed for them.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #7198 of 7944 Old 02-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone seeing a black band at the top of the pic on the SuperBowl? My set is set to full scan and I have a 3/4" wide black band. Commercials look fine, local insert looks fine. Game only has the problem.
post #7199 of 7944 Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Here ya go..
LL
LL

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7200 of 7944 Old 02-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hey guys. After pressing the Guide button I pressed B to search and the search screen looked completely different. There were shows with cover art like on TiVo.

I don't search that often. Does anyone else have this? Is this the new cloud based search functionality?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page